watch repair botched

davemos

Hi all Took my IWC in for a battery replacement to Pendulum Chit Lom Replacement battery 1750 ..! Then told that my watch is no longer waterproof and that the waiting time is three months .So cant wear in rain swimming etc Why do they replace the battery if they havnt got a gasket ? I'm told that to maintain the high standards the watch must have a full service before it can be deemed waterproof.Battery cost in Aus is 1200 with gasket .Anyone know of place that has a gasket for a IWC fliger chronograph. Thanks in advance D ?

live and learn, I never knew I WC made a quartz movement Der Fliegerchronograph, it seems they do.

For genuine IWC service, I use Pendulum in BKK - Certified IWC sales and service, though they may send your watch to Singapore for the service.

Edited by GuestHouse

Hi I did take it to Pendulum and they said that I would have to wait 3 months for a service and that the watch is not waterproof any more ! I cant understand why they took it apart if they didn't have the correct seal to put it back together .

Agree with GH above, if it was an approved, certified service centre and in their actions of replacing a battery have made it unusable then you have a very good case.

As GH said, their (IWC) rep is on the line......................wink.png

Swatch Group is over on Wireless. Maybe they can sort it for you. Surely battery change and pressure test any apprentice watchmaker could do. Singapore surely must have service, maybe KUL.

IWC with a battery lol, just chuck it in the bin. I've never known them to make such a rube goldberg.

Swatch Group is over on Wireless. Maybe they can sort it for you. Surely battery change and pressure test any apprentice watchmaker could do. Singapore surely must have service, maybe KUL.

IWC with a battery lol, just chuck it in the bin. I've never known them to make such a rube goldberg.

Well I guess You'll be looking through my bin as they are between $3000 8000 on Ebay .For your info look up Der fliegerchrnograph 3741 LOL

I'll pitch in with Swatch Group on Wireless Rd too. I've had two watches, a Longine's & a Rado serviced and/or repaired by them. Curiously it seemed the standard response was it'll take take 3 months, although both were done a lot sooner.

The Rado was a warranty and the Longines I was paying for. Both worked after I got them back without any issues, so i guess I was a satisfied customer

So the saga continues.Pendulum say that the reason the glass fell off was there was no gasket!It passed 2 pressure tests and failed one.Now they claim the glass gasket was not there before.I wore the watch swimming and that morning in the shower.They tell me now that 6500 and I'll have to wait a minimum of two weeks...No choice I guess.?

Send it back to IWC for a proper service and battery change.

I have/ had a Ventura Sigma digital watch, and the official importer Baechtold replaced the battery and it wasn't watertight - so it failled some time later when washing my hands at a sink (!). They ( Baechtold) did get a new movement etc from Ventura, but after their repair the light function/ buttton wasn't working and so it went on... Shambles of a company.

Get the OEM or their offical service agent to service it - and it will take a fairly preposterous time such as 3 months...

I used Pendulum a few times for my Breitling service and (luckily) i never had any issues with them.

I will bring the watch and afterwards they send it to me via EMS. (i live in Phuket)

But i agree they are not very fast.

Just email their headquarter and tell this story again. I can't believe a proper Swiss company will accept this behavior and get their name ruined by some uneducated Thai.

I also had many very bad experiences in Chidlom/Paragon in official brandname shops for hi-end stuff. If you don't have the gasket then what's the use of opening the watch? Was he gonna try all other gaskets until ones fits?

If there has been water in the watch now then i would claim a total new one with new warranty and a free dinnercoupon in a 5star place.

can't remember the name of the shop.. i think it is called "watch expert" ? or "expert watch"

anyway it is located at Mega Bangna.. near the section where the free bus drops you off just as you take the escalators up.. and right before you walk into the main mall..

fixed some watches there before and the staff have been professional.

never opened a watch unless they had spare parts.. and told me the risks involved too..

i had the misfortune for changing one of my watch batteries in Singapore where the guy just changed the battery.. then told me.. oh.. no gasket.. and cannot reuse.. sorry... just avoid water..... <deleted>.

anyway.. i have been considering for a long time where to service my ROO AP... but not at AP thailand itself.. anyone has recommendations?

thanks!

My son got his present job as customer liaisons officer international for a Swiss time piece company because his predecessor was ignoring email complaints. He comes to BKK occasionally. The tales he tells me are amazing, even Australia was a black hole when he first went there: Open watch, clean, put back too much oil and send it back - paid per watch, not per hour). Anyway, email customer services in Switzerland, they will look after you.

I used Pendulum a few times for my Breitling service and (luckily) i never had any issues with them.

I will bring the watch and afterwards they send it to me via EMS. (i live in Phuket)

I do believe that they only have one man who has been trained by Breitling that does the servicing so that's why it takes time.

This is Thailand and if you ask them to change the battery they will do just that, after all it wouldn't work without having it done, so more than useless.

But they should have told you before hand that they didn't have the gaskets. I have also used pendulum for my Breitling they have changed the case and fitted a new bracelet great job and half the price of doing the same in London. Found them very professional.

Good watch, Tip never buy a watch that has a battery. As you will have the same problem every couple of years. Spring that's the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I do believe that they only have one man who has been trained by Breitling that does the servicing so that's why it takes time.

This is Thailand and if you ask them to change the battery they will do just that, after all it wouldn't work without having it done, so more than useless.

But they should have told you before hand that they didn't have the gaskets. I have also used pendulum for my Breitling they have changed the case and fitted a new bracelet great job and half the price of doing the same in London. Found them very professional.

Good watch, Tip never buy a watch that has a battery. As you will have the same problem every couple of years. Spring that's the way to go.

Even in Switzerland they will often put the battery in upside down. I didn't know there was a good way and a bad way to put a battery in either.