Thai editorial: In place of democracy, ANOTHER CLAMPDOWN on dissent

webfact

EDITORIAL
In place of democracy, ANOTHER CLAMPDOWN on dissent

THE DETENTION OF THREE STUDENT ACTIVISTS IN KHON KAEN CAN ONLY WIDEN THE GULF THAT RECONCILIATION NEEDS TO BRIDGE

BANGKOK: -- Perhaps in an effort to mask its failure thus far to bring about any genuine reconciliation, the military junta has, once again, overstepped the bounds of political and ethical prudence by attempting to silence voices of dissent.

Police on Friday detained three well-known student activists, members of Khon Kaen University's "Dao Din group", who were preparing to publicly demonstrate moral support for seven fellow members for whom arrest warrants have been issued. Kwanhathai Patumtawonsakul, Jiratchaya Hannarong and Krit Sangsurin had been verbally threatened even before they were arrested on their way to Khon Kaen's Democracy Monument. They were held incommunicado at the Sri Patcharin military camp, and released the same day without being charged with any offence.

The Dao Din activists have a track record of helping needy citizens of the Northeast and for trying to foster Thai democracy. They fought alongside residents of Loei against a copper mine believed to be harming the environment and ruining local livelihoods. So their struggle against social injustice was well known long before the May 2014 military coup.

The Dao Din group has only about 10 active members. The students' clear objective is to help bring about social wellbeing and democracy. They desire no political power and, we would hope, need none to achieve that objective. They carry no weapons, and nor do they require an "army" to back up their efforts. Wielding nothing more than common sense and bare hands, the students pose no security threat whatsoever. That these young people are being harassed by the government can only mean that the military brass feels desperately insecure.

The military is worried, of course, that the Dao Din group might inspire other students, activists and citizens to up rise up in protest. The police and military now keep close watch on

dozens of students across the country. There is a high possibility that at least 16 students, including seven from Dao Din, will end up in jail.

For now the junta is wearing velvet gloves. Security officials, especially in the Northeast, have contacted the parents of these students to warn them that their children's undesirable behaviour can only lead to trouble. Second Army Region Commander Lt General Thawat Sukplang, in charge of the Northeast, has denied that the parents were threatened in any way, saying the authorities were only trying to "forge an understanding" about the young people who, he said, are undermining peace and order.

Thawat said several of the Dao Din parents are government officials, and they were reminded that their children's behaviour is inappropriate and against the law. Some of the parents, he admitted, refused to force their children to behave according to the junta's wishes.

The government, however, has no such compunction. It is quite ready to mobilise personnel and other resources in an effort to control youthful minds.

Instead, the generals need to open their own minds and listen to what is being said across the country. The message - from the students and from most other citizens who dare to speak out - is clear enough. They simply want the basic right to freedom of expression restored so that they can voice their concerns over social injustice. These are messengers of goodwill, and their message is one we endorse, as surely do the majority of people in this country.

Yet, in its place, we are seeing only undemocratic and unjust action being taken against the students. The junta's rationale for seizing power included democracy and reconciliation. How are such goals to be achieved when young citizens are being swept up by the police?

Rather, the junta is turning them into enemies of the state.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/In-place-of-democracy-ANOTHER-CLAMPDOWN-on-dissent-30262880.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-23

The junta should be worried about these students, but their arrest probably creates more activists than it deters. The student movement is growing, and, as it is wholly outside the red movement, has the potential to be a game changer.

I wonder where these guys were when the rice scheme and constitution amendments were proposed by the previous government(s).

Maybe they feel safer now to protest???

Same for all these newspaper reports and comments, didn't see anything when the previous people in power were enriching themselves at the cost of

the people with no voice

Edited by jumbo

Good article. I'm surprised the junta allowed it to be posted.

There won't be any more of these types of if the junta gets it's way as reported on the front page of today's BP, which also has an article asking not if reforms have worked, but if they've actually started.

I believe the writing's on the wall. How mass dissent will manifest itself and how it will be dealt with by the junta will come about sooner rather than later. Prayut can forget about his two more years.

I wonder where these guys were when the rice scheme and constitution amendments were proposed by the previous government(s).

Same for all these newspaper reports and comments, didn't see anything when the previous people in power were enriching themselves at the cost of

the people with no voice

These are students you are talking about, you do know that don't you?

"The students' clear objective is to help bring about social wellbeing and democracy. They desire no political power and, we would hope, need none to achieve that objective."

Perhaps in a fantasy world, my dear mr. or ms. editorial writer... Why is it that the taking of power by citizens is always construed as something dangerous or reprehensible? How can democratic social change occur without people empowering themselves? I don't necessarily mean taking seats in a legislative or executive body. Any group of citizens who are active and organized around an issue can be said to possess some degree of political power.

Edited by DeepInTheForest

"Thawat said several of the Dao Din parents are government officials, and they were reminded that their children's behaviour is inappropriate and against the law."

What law have they broken? Not clear to me what illegal activities, if any, they have been involved with. If they have done something illegal, then bring charges and have it settled in a court of law.

Good article which has hit the nail on the head. These peaceful students will hopefully inspire a whole generation!

Bad article written by some Red-Shirt apologist..... and just what do these so called "peaceful" students have to complain about.... get to your tax-payer subsidised classrooms and study... Who and what is/are behind them..?

bah.gif

Good article which has hit the nail on the head. These peaceful students will hopefully inspire a whole generation!

Bad article written by some Red-Shirt apologist..... and just what do these so called "peaceful" students have to complain about.... get to your tax-payer subsidised classrooms and study... Who and what is/are behind them..?

bah.gif

I don't think the students are associated with the red shirts. If the author is a red shirt apologist, are you then a green shirt apologist?

the people with no voice

I think I read it in the article, but I think you don't understand what I am trying to make clear, do you?

the people with no voice

I think I read it in the article, but I think you don't understand what I am trying to make clear, do you?

Glad that you clarified who you refering but I am not sure what you trying to say. The Din Dao student activists were against the blanket amnesty and were quite vocal on this and also spoke against many Thaksin capitalist policies. As to your other rant about not seeing newspaper and people with no voice, I wonder how the previous government collapsed without the help of highly bias media.

bah.gif

Tosser.

Glad that you clarified who you refering but I am not sure what you trying to say. The Din Dao student activists were against the blanket amnesty and were quite vocal on this and also spoke against many Thaksin capitalist policies. As to your other rant about not seeing newspaper and people with no voice, I wonder how the previous government collapsed without the help of highly bias media.

rant??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by jumbo

the people with no voice

And in particular The Nation! :)

And in particular The Nation! smile.png

Well I've read all sorts of conspiracy theories about who or what was supposed to have brought down the previous mob (usually avoiding the obvious - amnesty) but now we have the media being blamed - utter stupidity.

Note that I'm not in any way defending the mistreatment of the students who have done nothing wrong.

the people with no voice

Deflect and redirect the criticism, not a solution. Two wrongs never make a right.

I'm amazed that there's not been any reports about the latest temper tantrum from the Junta about the junta telling the press to STOP asking Prayuth provocative questions.

He needs to get a grip, and go and deal with his insecurities.

the people with no voice

Like most of the North & North East, they probably believed he was a cross between Robin Hood & Lee Kwan Yew. Instead he believed in that most successful maxim: "Rob the poor. The are more of them and they are used to it." What a shame he was seduced by the opportunities for corruption.

Wishful thinking, even if desirable. Remember the student riots and shootings in decades past? Not much will change given the deep rooted military, elitist, current monarchy system, etc. Thailand would not be Thailand as it is known today

the people with no voice

The following quote from the OP provides a hint at "where these guys were" before the "intervention"

The Dao Din activists have a track record of helping needy citizens of the Northeast and for trying to foster Thai democracy. They fought alongside residents of Loei against a copper mine believed to be harming the environment and ruining local livelihoods. So their struggle against social injustice was well known long before the May 2014 military coup.

Good article. I'm surprised the junta allowed it to be posted.

There won't be any more of these types of if the junta gets it's way as reported on the front page of today's BP, which also has an article asking not if reforms have worked, but if they've actually started.

I believe the writing's on the wall. How mass dissent will manifest itself and how it will be dealt with by the junta will come about sooner rather than later. Prayut can forget about his two more years.

I would like to think you are right but I think you might have got this one wrong. Previous coups have ended with a nod/prod from above, not sure that can happen anymore.

Previous history is no guide to the future.

I also wonder how long the media can continue to push the envelope, his tolerance now seems to be on a very short fuse.

Nothing good is about to happen.