White Oil

I planted some citrus this year, a couple of Pomelo varieties and a Lime.

The Pomelos thrive but something loves the taste of lime leaves.

A pro citrus grower once told me he used nothing else except white oil on his young trees, citing low toxicity, but I cannot seem to find it in Thailand.

With three small trees I don't need to buy it by the gallon either, a small pump pack would do fine.

Edited by sceadugenga

Using horticultural oil requires some knowledge and judgment. You need to identify the target pest and know something of it's life-cycle. You have to observe pest cycle and spray for contact. Just coating the leaves may not achieve control if you don't get the solution on the pest itself. If pest harbors during day and feeds at night, you may not get contact or adequate coverage.

It's probably the larva of a moth that is feeding on your lime leaves, or snails. Oil won't kill snails. If it's snails then you need a different approach.

If the damage is not heavy, you may be able to tolerate a minimal amount of chewing and leaf disfiguration. If the trees are small enough to reach, you may be able to pick off the caterpillars or snails by hand, or with a cotton glove or rag. Very early morning, or at night with a flashlight may be the best time to search and destroy.

Hort oil can burn foliage if the concentration is too high, especially new growth with full sun exposure during growing season. I use hort oil at 2% during dormant season (no leaves), but only 1% during growing season to avoid foliage burn. (1% = 1 ounce oil product per 100 oz. water)

If you can't identify the pest and you want a general purpose repellent, anti-feedant and reproductive disruptor, try a neem oil botanical insecticide, or a combo botanical like the '99' product pictured. Spray to coat the leaves upper and lower surfaces, stems and soil beneath the plant. Re-apply weekly until damage under control.

post-74166-0-02689800-1435333648_thumb.j