What do you think the ratio is..

JakeSully

of Thai gay men who do not think of Farang lovers as valets?

This isn't a troll thread.. I've experienced both sides of the coin.. some very nice but in relationships.. some promising but misguided, some very materialistic and totally not long term relationship material.

But generally what is your experience.. do they just like us because we can provide?

I've been with my Thai partner for the past 23 years. There are a lot of variables in a relationship.

I think he's had to put up with at least as much crap from me as I have from him.

All I know is in my relationship, I am not the easiest, and no one is perfect...

I am happy and in Love and so does he...

So I just go with the flow.....

Fortunately I am in a good place financially and if I can make someone's life better, that makes me feel happy....

But that's me..... We are all different....

Valets? My partner certainly has never asked me to park his car for him. I doubt it's common.

Perhaps you mean "varlets*". That makes more sense to me.

* Varlet: a dishonest or unprincipled man.

Valets? My partner certainly has never asked me to park his car for him. I doubt it's common.

I thought he meant Wallets ????

No I meant valet.. american defenition is different than English defention. For example to americans getting pissed is getting annoyed but to english it means drinking.

Valet in the dictionary sense means responsible for helping with appearance and looks.

So I meant, you buy em shirts, perfumes and stuff, show em love, but they don't show any emotion until you start paying someone else more attention when they're threatened with losing their benefactor, all the while they're elusive, scanning their radar constantly for a hot guy for a lay.

I've been told by friends in Patts, don't get attached.. but there's always a few peeps who seem to make it work. Then again I have some Aussie friends who have thai partners and when their aussie partners are not looking, the partner comes into a bar and just goes with everyone while feigning innocence they're in isaan and need to make money for their mom.

Ok ok.. I dind't mean to get off topic but that's where I was going with.. relationshipwise what % of thai boys/ men are reasonable ventures?

Firstly, I think it would be more difficult to find a financially secure Thai partner in Pattaya than Bangkok because in Bangkok there are more gay Thais who are able to secure jobs which can support their lives. In Pattaya (my impression), many Thai people (male and female) travel from other parts of Thailand to meet western people as an income source. This does not mean that there are not many Thais in Bangkok who are looking for financial support but the population of Thai gays who have a life-supporting job is higher in Bangkok.

Seondly, and this is not unique to Thai/wesern relationships, the dynamic where one partner is more wealthy than the other is something that must be resolved. If the wealthier partner is more accustomed to a nicer home and better restaurants and extensive travel, then the less affluent partner cannot participate without support.

Now, there are Thais who are strictly interested in finanial gain than romance with a western person. Some Thais are open and honest about this, others are more scammers. After living in Thailand for a while, an expat should be able to undertand what motivates a Thai bf/date.

An interesting comparison for this dynamic is the old move "An Officer and a Gentleman" where local girls in a small town are looking to date Navy pilot trainees because they will earn good salaries and the woman can raise their financial security by marrying these men. In the same way, many Thai men are looking for a western bf who can support them (and often their families).

My feeling is that as long as both individuals are honest and in agreement and understand what each expects, then that is their business and I wish them happiness.