Former Bangkok police chief 'arrested with gun' in Japanese airport

webfact

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attempt to carry drugs on board a plane in Japan and you get locked up and 5 years later feature on TV's Banged Up Abroad. Attempt to carry an unregistered firearm and ammunition in Japan which has very tight gun laws and you are allowed to continue your journey?

Shame on you Japan.

he was allowed to take the gun into Japan by Thai airways and slipped through customs, but he was checked before leaving and got caught. the Japanese have very srict gun and drug laws, you brak them and you go to the slammer. Japan has nothing to be ashamed of.

How do you know that he didn't acquire the gun in Japan?

He could have been given it as a present, its not unheard of for military types to present firearms as gifts to honored guests.

As ex police chief of a dodgy regime, he might assume he is afforded the same courtesy as colleagues visiting Thailand, in being able to ignore laws that other need to abide by.

Not saying its any better but just providing an alternative explanation that might make sense. Of course if its an old gun, its a different matter. But he could also argue, as a top cop the Yakusa might be out to get him for foiling drug smuggling plots, or alternatively upping the bribe requirements to turn a blind eye.

Poor man, this could happen to anyone.

I've forgotten how many times I've accidentally left a firearm in my carry on bag. biggrin.png

What a weak excuse, carry on bags are used by most for items they will need during the flight so he didn't pack his before heading to the airport ?

Maybe you don't forget your Fire Arm in your Carry-on as you don't own one. But he does!

If you have been through check out at any airport you will noticed a big bin full of knives, screw drivers, sharp objects, and all kinds of stuff which is illegal to take with you on carry-on. So even if you are an elephant and don't forget, many people do. I forgot my Swiss Army Knife once.

This is not as serious as everyone here seems to believe. Embarrassing...perhaps! But not serious!

When they discover it was an accident they will let him go. I have no doubt about that.

But I do like reading these Thai Police Bashers Nonsense here, and trying to make a Federal Case out of nothing. I bet the Boys on Air Force One are not carrying Water Pistols either.

"I bet the Boys on Air Force One are not carrying Water Pistols either."

And you would win your little wager. The big difference here is that Air Force One is one of the aircraft used by the President of The United States of America, it is not a commercial airliner. Thus the president's bodyguards can be carrying whatever weaponry happens to be in their arsenal.

In this case Kamronwit was boarding a commercial flight returning from Japan, where, like most airports in the world, they have strict security protocols. For a man of his so-called experience and seniority in the RTP to use an excuse like "I forgot it was there" is absolutely incredible. If he didn't obtain the gun in Japan, then he carried it with him from Thailand which would bring Thai airport security into question.

Whatever, this is merely another stain on the 'reputation' of this less than reputable police officer.

I've forgotten how many times I've accidentally left a firearm in my carry on bag. biggrin.png

What a weak excuse, carry on bags are used by most for items they will need during the flight so he didn't pack his before heading to the airport ?

Maybe you don't forget your Fire Arm in your Carry-on as you don't own one. But he does!

If you have been through check out at any airport you will noticed a big bin full of knives, screw drivers, sharp objects, and all kinds of stuff which is illegal to take with you on carry-on. So even if you are an elephant and don't forget, many people do. I forgot my Swiss Army Knife once.

This is not as serious as everyone here seems to believe. Embarrassing...perhaps! But not serious!

When they discover it was an accident they will let him go. I have no doubt about that.

But I do like reading these Thai Police Bashers Nonsense here, and trying to make a Federal Case out of nothing. I bet the Boys on Air Force One are not carrying Water Pistols either.

IMHO people like cops and ex-cops, etc., should be role models and display respect for the laws of Thailand and in this case important and serious international laws. Heaven knows Thailand desperately needs to make gains in understanding the law and respect for due process of the law.

You mention the security guys on air force one - the plane carrying the US president. There is no relevance to the circumstances in this case.

A close friend of mine who lives in a mountain town in the States had this happen to him. He is a serious outdoor type. Hiking, climbing. Kept a pistol to scare of bears in his daypack. Had to fly . Forgot the gun was there and got caught by security. They had to arrest him at the local level so the FBI didnt get involved and put him in prison....He is a well loved country Dr. The judge went easy on him. The medical Board almost took his lisence .

So it can happen.

This policeman left Bkk as a VIP and carried the firearm to japan.....Thats in itself worries me.

My wife is flying this morning on an AirAsia domestic flight, so I was noodling around the Thai AirAsia website, and wondered what they say about carrying handguns in baggage, either carry on or checked in.

Here's their answer (at least for "regular" folks like us):

The following items are prohibited in your baggage whether it is checked in or not:

icon-no_11821.png Firearms and ammunition

Meanwhile, ThaiAir seems to have similar requirements as to checked and carry on luggage:

Answer

International law prohibits the placing of magnetised, inflammable, corrosive, radioactive, oxidising, or explosive articles; pressurised gasses, toxic substances, oxygen cylinders, paint, mercury, munitions, and fireworks in checked or unchecked (carry-on) luggage.

In many countries, strong-smelling materials, lighter fuel and refills, fresh food or fruit, infected live animals, or weapons must not be taken aboard the aircraft. Such items are subject to confiscation and the owner may be subject to a fine, depending on the country. If you are not certain if an item you are carrying is prohibited, please ask a THAI agent before you arrive at check-in.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My wife is flying this morning on an AirAsia domestic flight, so I was noodling around the Thai AirAsia website, and wondered what they say about carrying handguns in baggage, either carry on or checked in.

The following items are prohibited in your baggage whether it is checked in or not:

Maybe some people never saw that advertisement in Souvanaphum ?

post-102759-0-00172600-1435114963_thumb.

It could have been much more serious he might have been concealing nuts just in case there was a shortage on the flight.

No nut shortage on that flight. Ah ,you have hit the nail on the proverbial head ! He thought all that weight in his carry on bag was cashew nuts. The gun he just misplaced somewhere , come on ,we have all done it at sometime.

How can you compare airforce one to a commercial passenger aircraft.

At several airports around Thailand, I have seen bins of sand designated as gun clearing points. Obviously some people are carrying firearms on (domestic???) flights.

Edited by halloween

As a Thai taxpayer I strongly object to the Thai embassy making any effort to get this man released, if he has violated Japanese gun laws which are extremely clear, as quoted below. Let him serve his time like anyone else who falls foul of Japanese law. He should be facing a minimum sentence of 6 years for the three combined offences.

"Any person who illegally possesses a gun is subject to a punishment of penal servitude for one year or more, but not to exceed ten years.

If any violator of the above provisions also carries, transports, or stores live cartridges, metal bullets, or explosives, the penalty is increased to penal servitude for three years or more.

Any person who illegally imports firearms is punishable by penal servitude for not less than three years."

As a Thai taxpayer I strongly object to the Thai embassy making any effort to get this man released, if he has violated Japanese gun laws which are extremely clear, as quoted below. Let him serve his time like anyone else who falls foul of Japanese law. He should be facing a minimum sentence of 6 years for the three combined offences.

"Any person who illegally possesses a gun is subject to a punishment of penal servitude for one year or more, but not to exceed ten years.

If any violator of the above provisions also carries, transports, or stores live cartridges, metal bullets, or explosives, the penalty is increased to penal servitude for three years or more.

Any person who illegally imports firearms is punishable by penal servitude for not less than three years."

Maybe it's just me, but I would be pretty damn happy if he served time in prison, even it was only for a couple of months.

It may take the smugness of his face.

At several airports around Thailand, I have seen bins of sand designated as gun clearing points. Obviously some people are carrying firearms on (domestic???) flights.

Well, I supposed there are two possible explanations here:

1. This being Thailand, what the actual rules/laws say and what the authorities actually enforce, especially for VIPs, may have little relation to each other.

2. They do enforce the law banning weapons in carry on or checked in luggage... But they're fine if you instead carry the handgun in your pocket, coat, body, etc... tongue.png

Attempt to carry drugs on board a plane in Japan and you get locked up and 5 years later feature on TV's Banged Up Abroad. Attempt to carry an unregistered firearm and ammunition in Japan which has very tight gun laws and you are allowed to continue your journey?

Shame on you Japan.

he was allowed to take the gun into Japan by Thai airways and slipped through customs, but he was checked before leaving and got caught. the Japanese have very srict gun and drug laws, you brak them and you go to the slammer. Japan has nothing to be ashamed of.

How do you know that he didn't acquire the gun in Japan?

He could have been given it as a present, its not unheard of for military types to present firearms as gifts to honored guests.

As ex police chief of a dodgy regime, he might assume he is afforded the same courtesy as colleagues visiting Thailand, in being able to ignore laws that other need to abide by.

Not saying its any better but just providing an alternative explanation that might make sense. Of course if its an old gun, its a different matter. But he could also argue, as a top cop the Yakusa might be out to get him for foiling drug smuggling plots, or alternatively upping the bribe requirements to turn a blind eye.

Give us a break, your stories make no sense, if fact they are fanciful nonsense.

Comparing Airforce One and POTUS with a dodgy cop on a regular TG flight is a very long stretch don't you think?

Yes, you might forget you had your little nail file in the purse or a pair of scissors - no harm done, they will just confiscate it. But you do not forget - ever - you have a firearm with you including ammunition. That is simply the most lame excuse I have heard. That shows you are either completely ignorant of any responsibility or a nuthead - and him being a policeofficer (even though we are talking RTP) that is a very scary thought.

In any case why would you need to bring your gun to Japan? That country is not that scary and dangerous.

This actually happen in the US more often than you think. Passengers forgot to remove firearms from the bags, and amazingly TSA managed to miss most of them. Passengers discover they had their gun in the bag while on the plane or after they reached their destination.

The following items are prohibited in your baggage whether it is checked in or not:icon-no_11821.png Firearms and ammunition

Correct Einstein, with permission and full knowledge of the airline, airline authorities, and security - but not hidden in carryon luggage.

For your interest, I have seen on a number of occasions airline captains clearing their weapon prior to security.

Japanese resident and currently naturalising individual here!

His goose is cooked. He will not be released. In Japan, the conviction rate after arrest is extremely high. Like upwards of 95%. An American Toyota executive who mailed herself narcotics is probably going to go to prison. I myself have had to make alternate arrangements for a non-controlled (NON-CONTROLLED!) medicine because Japanese law has gotten stronger that I can no longer have it shipped in from abroad (it is not available in the same manner in Japan, even with a valid prescription, which I have). I have known individuals caught with one joint who have gone to prison for several years before being deported.

Japanese officials cannot be bribed, they cannot be persuaded, they do not listen, and they often ignore the requests and even demands of embassies. There is no right to a speedy trial, no right to a jury trial, and you can be held without due process for a significant amount of time. If you are non-Japanese, you have less legal recourse than a Japanese national. Now, that said, crime here is extremely low, and so is stupidity, in general, and generally there's not a lot of risk to people who aren't actually, you know, being morons.

I will also lose respect for my government if they allow him to walk away, when I have seen what they have done to stupid teenagers with one beer or one joint.