Former Bangkok police chief 'arrested with gun' in Japanese airport

webfact

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much of Swampy's digital imagery is recorded, and how long it is kept for.

Like:

• Hand luggage Xray
  • CCTV (pasenger screening area)
  • Hold baggage
May be interesting to see if he was let through a side door, if so this may be in contravention of international rules if he got on a plain with fire arms on him or in hand luggage.

This needs investigating to find out where the security lapses are and it does not happen again.

You are joking "it does not happen again" it will keep happening while the hi-so, connected police and anyone else who are considered important or special rule the roost in Thailand.

Has it been mentioned that this fellow was the one who had a picture in his office of the long-deposed Thaksin pinning his badge on him, with a caption stating, "All this is due to my big brother."? Doubt he'll get much help from the folks in charge today.

Nor his "big brother".

Interesting point, would big brother be embarrassed by this incident.

My guess is no and his comment, if he was asked to comment, would be 'I have done nothing wrong!'.

'I have done nothing wrong and damn it, it's powitically motiwated. Na khap"'.

Yea, Japan follows the rules of laws. He'll be speaking Japanese by the time he gets out. Good thing he likes rice for dinner.

Yes, I think the guy needs to be very afraid!

The Japanese police are giving no slack to Toyota over the issue connected to their American executive. Their HO and Tokyo office have just been raided by the police.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33250822

Think it is likely that the ex-chief of police may have a way to go before he heads home.

So if any Thai were to be a brainless moron and try to carry a gun on a plane would the Thai Government send out Lawyers and Embassy staff to help ?

Exactly...hes working in the Thai secret police and had something to do in Japan. He left his Police post due to the onset of dementia (bullshit) which is fabricated so he could work for the thai secret service..

Has it been mentioned that this fellow was the one who had a picture in his office of the long-deposed Thaksin pinning his badge on him, with a caption stating, "All this is due to my big brother."? Doubt he'll get much help from the folks in charge today.

Nor his "big brother".

Interesting point, would big brother be embarrassed by this incident.

My guess is no and his comment, if he was asked to comment, would be 'I have done nothing wrong!'.

'I have done nothing wrong and damn it, it's powitically motiwated. Na khap"'.

Let's be realistic, to the paymaster this guy probably served his purpose long ago and it now deleted from the 'address book'.

Poor man, this could happen to anyone.

I've forgotten how many times I've accidentally left a firearm in my carry on bag. biggrin.png

What a weak excuse, carry on bags are used by most for items they will need during the flight so he didn't pack his before heading to the airport ?

Maybe you don't forget your Fire Arm in your Carry-on as you don't own one. But he does!

If you have been through check out at any airport you will noticed a big bin full of knives, screw drivers, sharp objects, and all kinds of stuff which is illegal to take with you on carry-on. So even if you are an elephant and don't forget, many people do. I forgot my Swiss Army Knife once.

This is not as serious as everyone here seems to believe. Embarrassing...perhaps! But not serious!

When they discover it was an accident they will let him go. I have no doubt about that.

But I do like reading these Thai Police Bashers Nonsense here, and trying to make a Federal Case out of nothing. I bet the Boys on Air Force One are not carrying Water Pistols either.

Comparing Airforce One and POTUS with a dodgy cop on a regular TG flight is a very long stretch don't you think?

Yes, you might forget you had your little nail file in the purse or a pair of scissors - no harm done, they will just confiscate it. But you do not forget - ever - you have a firearm with you including ammunition. That is simply the most lame excuse I have heard. That shows you are either completely ignorant of any responsibility or a nuthead - and him being a policeofficer (even though we are talking RTP) that is a very scary thought.

In any case why would you need to bring your gun to Japan? That country is not that scary and dangerous.

Then please give us your explanation why a Trained Police Officer, a General no less, who has a Permit to carry a Hand Gun in Thailand, would purposely put his Gun in a Hand Bag he knew would be x-rayed and inspected by Customs, if it wasn't by accident.

Arrogance, Ignorance, Self-importance.

Japan has the worlds toughest gun and drug laws in the world and I hope he has the opportunity to research it from the inside

Mate the thai govt has already send consular and lawyers to help him. I think he still workss for the secret service in Thailand and the gun should have been in checked in luggage not hand luggage. then he would have been safe. Japan checks incoming luggage and outgoing luggage but I think he had special clearance....the security at hand luggage reported it but not the checked luggage- see fishy

Japan has the worlds toughest gun and drug laws in the world and I hope he has the opportunity to research it from the inside

I agree.

He claimed he had forgotten that he had put the loaded gun in his 'medicine pouch'

which in turn was in his carry on luggage!

Would that be the same sort of medicine pouch Chalerm carried?

He quite clearly had this loaded weapon on him during his stay in Japan and was no doubt expecting to be waved through security at Narita with a nod and a smile the Thai way.

I wonder what sort of VIP cells the airport police have at Narita?

For those who want to have a go at Thai airport security consider this.

If he did take the weapon out of Thailand undetected it means that Japanese airport security also failed to detect it when he entered Japan.

So he's probably lying through his teeth and bought it in Japan. There's been no mention of it being registered to him yet.

If he did take the weapon out of Thailand undetected it means that Japanese airport security also failed to detect it when he entered Japan.

So he's probably lying through his teeth and bought it in Japan. There's been no mention of it being registered to him yet.

I am not aware that airport security checks arriving passenger and bags

....how can you forget you are carrying a gun and ammunition....

Easy when you have no brain ...whistling.gif

Even easier when you have a "Thai-VIP" spoiled brain

Maybe he'd already visited the Wizard regarding the brain problem and was on his way to kill the Wicked Witch of the West with the gun.

I'll keep that in mind next time I want to take 10kg of heroin into Japan. thumbsup.gif

I suspect you have never watched those Border Force or Nothing to Declare programmes then?

Australia nets travellers every day carry banned vegetable,fruit,drugs and weapons which show up on the landing x ray before you collect your luggage.

Japanese media now suggesting it could be up to 20 days before the prosecutors decide what to do so he will have plenty of time to check out the inside of their cells.

I always get asked if I mind having my bag checked by Japanese customs. Usually, because I speak Japanese, and I rarely have anything large on me (I travel very light), I get a wave through before I even have to hand it over. However, if I have a lot of luggage, they definitely check, and if I seem to hesitate at all in saying, "of course, go ahead" I get checked. These people are very well trained, and though I have plenty of times not had my stuff checked, I am also a Japanese resident who has been here for many years and travels internationally two or three times a year, and I am very comfortable with Japanese immigration and customs so I probably have a tell for low-threat.

I can see perhaps him getting through customs without the handgun being seized, but he would need to appear to have a long history in Japan, a fluency in Japanese, very little luggage, and a willingness to have the hand bag checked without any kind of confusion, nervousness, or suspicion.

I still find that a lot more likely than that he just randomly bought a pistol in Japan. He'd have to have criminal contacts for that. Which if so, then his comments make no sense, because surely, the Japanese Metro Police will find out about those connections in time.

Mate the thai govt has already send consular and lawyers to help him. I think he still workss for the secret service in Thailand and the gun should have been in checked in luggage not hand luggage. then he would have been safe. Japan checks incoming luggage and outgoing luggage but I think he had special clearance....the security at hand luggage reported it but not the checked luggage- see fishy

They can send who they like but if they dont want to listern they wont. If he does work for such an agency they may well disown him as they wouldnt want the publicity

Officials don't know why he was carrying a gun?

This is an obvious answer. "He was a police chief, put many people in prison I am sure. Made lots and lots of enemies over the years.

Heck I would carry a gun if I was a former Police Chief

Lets see what happens I don't believe he wanted to cause anyone harm thought . It would be a sad day if he was jacked up on this for very long.

Heck I would carry a gun if I was a former Police Chief

.... and don't care about the law ...

Are you so naive? Really?

Japanese media now suggesting it could be up to 20 days before the prosecutors decide what to do so he will have plenty of time to check out the inside of their cells.

Kind of a topsy-turvey world where it takes a Thai policeman traveling to a different country in order to get tossed into jail for breaking the law.

Here in Thailand, needless to say, the Thai police almost never find themselves looking at the inside of jail cells as inhabitants.

Kind of a topsy-turvey world where it takes a Thai policeman traveling to a different country in order to get tossed into jail for breaking the law.

Here in Thailand, needless to say, the Thai police almost never find themselves looking at the inside of jail cells as inhabitants.

I bet he got a free business class ride on thai airways as well, its how he gets through security via a vip channel, no one had the balls to check him being a top cop. Hes paying for that arrogance now!

Its the typical "dont you dare question or touch me, im special" vip mentality that pervades all of thai society. I love it when it backfires on one of them, just doesnt happen enough unfortunately.

He was the lead item on Channel 3 news tonight...

But more to the point, here's a pretty good, comprehensive report out of Japan in The Japan Times by AFP and Jiji.... It also includes the detail that the guy supposedly had previously retired from the RTP, and that the gun was a gift from a friend, though it didn't say from whom or when.

The article also included elaboration of how this incident has the potential to complicate Thailand's aviation problems with the ICAO.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/24/national/crime-legal/bangkok-ex-police-chief-seized-at-narita-airport-with-loaded-pistol-in-suitcase/#.VYrT61IwB1M.

The suspect told police “the gun was his own and was a gift from a friend, and that he had forgotten he had put it inside the suitcase”, the official said.

“He entered Japan on June 19, and said he visited a waste incineration plant as part of a group of some 80 people,” the spokesman added.

Meanwhile, the BkK Post is reporting that Japanese officials could take up to 20 days before deciding whether to charge him. The Post is also reporting that he had the gun on his outbound Thai flight, but that it was in his checked luggage for that trip. Then, the gun was in his carry on luggage for his intended return trip. They're also saying the handgun was very small in size, not a regular size handgun.

Archived