Pedestrian killed by speeding Minivan in South Pattaya

webfact

Pedestrian killed by speeding Minivan in South Pattaya

crash-25.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Police and rescue workers attended a fatal road crash on the main Sukhumvit Road late on Tuesday Night which resulted in the death of a pedestrian.

The crash occurred on the Bangkok-bound carriageway of the road, in front of the Jalerndee Furniture Shop. The dead pedestrian was not carrying any identification but he was described by Police as a Thai male, aged in his early forties.

200 meters away from the body was a damaged Minivan and its stunned driver, Khun Dang aged 40. He told Police that he was driving home and by his own admission was driving at a high rate of speed.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/201168/pedestrian-killed-by-speeding-minivan-in-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-24

To be fair shukumvit road has no crossings. Daily see people dodging traffic to get to the other side.

Too many things need attention and changing but that's in ideal world .

Rip Thai male

It does have some overpasses but not enough of them IMO.

Sorry, I have to take the other side of this. I hate these speeding van and bus drivers as much as anyone, but who walks across a very busy street without looking. How many readers here think they can't look at and identify a speeding van before crossing Sukhumwit.

Also, he was hit at speed so either the driver had blinders on or this person walked out in front of the van at the last minute leaving the driver no time to react. Driving vans and buses fast does not equate to WANTING to kill people. The drivers just think they are immortal and they love driving fast. Sounds a bit more like suicide, but we won't know because these reporters never followup and their first articles are always lacking important details.

To be fair shukumvit road has no crossings. Daily see people dodging traffic to get to the other side.

Rip Thai male

'To be fair' a driver should be expecting unregulated pedestrians on that stretch of road which is notorious - "Daily see people dodging traffic".

I wonder if the driver was breathalysed?, I wonder if he passed or failed?, I wonder if he failed will he be fined 10,000 Baht?, I wonder if he failed he will be jailed for 1 month?, I wonder if "Police arrested the driver and will conduct further investigations" actually means they are negotiating a fee?, oh i wonder too much!!

One guy speeding, one guy crossing the road in a unsafe manner. The pedestrian can see the

speeding vehicle, the van driver should know there will be pedestrians crossing and should

be attentive and drive more cautiously. Plenty of blame for both, unfortunately one guy

paid the ultimate price. Just another statistic here in Thailand, RIP

it would not help one iota if there were crossings as no one ever stops at them anyway, it needs a brave person to edge out into the road to force the vehicles to stop and then pray that the other driver/riders has seen the first vehicle stop, or the scenario is that you will get mown down by some clown on their mobile phone not paying attention to their driving, yep its a lottery crossing the road in Thailand, poor guy.

the thai driver's and pedestrians are as bad as each other I see them all the time on the roads doing things European people would never do, pulling out not looking jumping out in front of fast moving cars at night. ect.

it would not help one iota if there were crossings as no one ever stops at them anyway, it needs a brave person to edge out into the road to force the vehicles to stop and then pray that the other driver/riders has seen the first vehicle stop, or the scenario is that you will get mown down by some clown on their mobile phone not paying attention to their driving, yep its a lottery crossing the road in Thailand, poor guy.

You do not need to stop at a pedestrian bridge of which there are a few on Sukhumvit, unfortunately people would rather risk the traffic than use the bridges most of the time.

He claimed to have failed to see the pedestrian crossing the main road and hit him at full-speed.

Police arrested the driver and will conduct further investigations before he is expected to be charged with causing death by reckless driving.

I'm Shocked!!! Truly Shocked!!! Ok, 5000 THB fine and you're free to go kill someone else at your leisure. Oh, and pay your respects at the funeral, wai high and bow low, and offer the family 1000 THB for their loss. Then all is well.

Edited by connda

Rip Thai male

'To be fair shukumvit road has no crossings. Daily see people dodging traffic to get to the other side.' Thonglor, a shortcut to/from Sukhumvit/Petchburi has the odd crossing - or parking grid for many drivers - but no pedestrian bridges anywhere along its length. But the inimitable BMA managed to find the money to erect a hundred or so ornate, but otherwise useless and rarely used, lampposts.