New York to pay wrongfully imprisoned man $6.25 million

webfact

New York to pay wrongfully imprisoned man $6.25 million
Yamiche Alcindor, USA TODAY

New York City will pay $6.25 million to a man wrongfully imprisoned for 24 years for a murder he didn't commit

NEW YORK: -- The settlement comes more than 14 months after a judge released Jonathan Fleming, 53, from prison, overturning a 1990 murder conviction and a sentence of life in prison.

"It's a bittersweet moment," Fleming told USA TODAY Tuesday. "On the same day I'm signing this settlement, I'm taking my mother off of life support."

Fleming signed the settlement documents then left for the hospital to be with his ailing mother, who he said may be close to death. His mother, Patricia Fleming, 73, went into cardiac arrest two weeks ago after suffering a heart attack earlier this year, Fleming said. Fleming said doctors have told him his mother now has brain damage.

"When I was in prison, my mother told me she prayed and asked God for her to live long enough to witness me getting out of prison," Fleming said. "When I got out, she told me she asked God to please get some time with me. And, she got that."

Full story: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/06/23/new-york-city-to-pay-wrongly-convicted-man-millions/29178241/

-- USA Today 2015-06-24

I'm glad he got to spend some time with his mother and that he got some compensation for what he had to go through. Nothing is worth being in jail for 24 years for something that you did not do, but at least he should have no financial worries for the rest of his life. That counts for something.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Deduct the 40% commission his lawyers (may have) received it is very little compensation for 24 years of his life! AND I don't know US IRS tax laws but they may take their share as well!

Edited by bdenner

Deduct the 40% commission his lawyers (may have) received it is very little compensation for 24 years of his life! AND I don't know US IRS tax laws but they may take their share as well!

I don't know American law, but in this case would it be possible the state has to pay all court costs as a recognition that they were in the wrong.

To put it another way, why should this man (anybody in this circumstances) have to pay the legal fees to prove they were wrongly convicted?

Apparently evidence that he was in a different state at the time of the crime wasn't even enough to be considered reasonable doubt.

Rush was shot and killed on August 15, 1989. Prosecutors successfully argued that the pair had a falling out and a witness identified Fleming as the shooter.
That witness would later recant her testimony and tell police she lied to get out of an unrelated arrest.
At his trial, Fleming’s defence team provided family photographs and home videos showing he was at Disney World in Florida at the time of Rush’s murder. It didn’t matter because they had no official proof.
The court was provided with plane tickets and post cards but it was agreed neither proved he was not in New York.
And his wrongful incarceration pales next to some others.
James Bain spent 35 years in prison for a kidnapping and rape in 1974 that he did not commit. He received just $1.7 million compensation — $50,000 for every year he spent in prison.
Ricky Jackson spent 39 years behind bars for the murder of businessman Harold Franks. He received just $2 million plus 39 years worth of wages.
Edited by Suradit69

Three things you can never buy ....

You can't buy time ...

You can't buy health ...

You can't buy happiness ...

I think you can buy happiness

hmmm ... yes you can buy a big expensive car , you can buy a luxury home in the Bahamas , you can drink champagne from a yacht .... but it's artificial happiness , it's bought happiness so it's not real happiness from within the body and heart.

It's made up happiness ... not true happiness ...

Difficult to explain ... but i think you know what i'm saying ...

Another example as to why many people oppose the death penalty. I'm in favor of it but with these bungled convictions it gives me serious doubts. U.S. Legal system can be pretty evil and incompetent at times.

It's cases like this that makes me oppose the death penalty which I see as nothing less than legalized murder anyway.

I'm glad he got to spend some time with his mother and that he got some compensation for what he had to go through. Nothing is worth being in jail for 24 years for something that you did not do, but at least he should have no financial worries for the rest of his life. That counts for something.

This is it. A long time ago the law decided that the only way to compensate for some things is with money. Money doesn't really compensate, but it comes the closest. This is one of those things. It also is the only practical way to punish the wrongdoer and send a message to the community not to ever so something similar.

It's a sad story.

Three things you can never buy ....

You can't buy time ...

You can't buy health ...

You can't buy happiness ...

This is completly wrong. Specialy in Thailand.

1. You can buy short time or long time!!!

2. You can buy health otherwise not have health tourism. Ask Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, they make a very good profit!!!

3. This a lot of farangs do every day and night here. Ask some men in the Walking street!!!

biggrin.png