Fly into Saigon with an unstamped passport?

I need to do a Saigon visa run. I have two passports: UK + Australian.

The Australian one I have been using is almost full and requires a paid visa in advance.

The UK one is empty and, thanks to recent admin changes [http://vietnamtravelblogs.com/news-2/vietnam-grants-visa-waivers-9-nationalities.php], should get me 15 days free in Vietnam.

So, after being stamped out of Thailand on the Aussie passport, can I switch to the UK one on arrival in Saigon?

I cannot speak for a Aussy passport But I have 2 passports as well. My first one was ready to expire and had all my visa s in it Flew from Bkk to the United States

Handed him my blank Passport and told my my other passport was ready to expire. He did not seem to care and just game my my first stamp in the Canadian One

• Like 1

So, after being stamped out of Thailand on the Aussie passport, can I switch to the UK one on arrival in Saigon?

Depends on whether or not the Vietnamese immigrations officer wants to see your exit stamp from Thailand. If they ask, you could try explaining as did realenglish1. From his explanation, it wasn't an issue.

Assuming you intend to return to Thailand, if you enter and leave Vietnam using the UK passport, it's possible the Thai I/O would want to see your exit stamp from Vietnam if you intend to switch back again to the Aussie passport. If you get the new Thai visa from Saigon in the UK passport and have the exit stamp from Vietnam in the UK passport, there shouldn't be a problem ... although if the immigrations computer brings up your recent departure on the other passport, you might be asked a few questions.

Edited by Suradit69

Depends on whether or not the Vietnamese immigrations officer wants to see your exit stamp from Thailand. If they ask, you could try explaining as did realenglish1. From his explanation, it wasn't an issue.

Assuming you intend to return to Thailand, if you enter and leave Vietnam using the UK passport, it's possible the Thai I/O would want to see your exit stamp from Vietnam if you intend to switch back again to the Aussie passport. If you get the new Thai visa from Saigon in the UK passport and have the exit stamp from Vietnam in the UK passport, there shouldn't be a problem ... although if the immigrations computer brings up your recent departure on the other passport, you might be asked a few questions.

VN immigration have no interest in your Thailand stamps.

I travelled every month for 4 years between Thailand and Vietnam using one passport for my VN visas and stamps and the other passport for the Thai ones and was never asked where my Thai stamps were.

• Like 1

if you fly in, nobody cares about the exit stamps....

Yes - it appears so.

However, don't try the same passport switch at a land border - I did once ( '<deleted>' facepalm.gif) - and was subjected to a proper royal inquisition.

Apparently, for countries sharing a common land border, the country allowing you in, has a customs duty to check for an exit visa from the country you have just left (if you don't have one, they're supposed to send you back) plus (and here's the crux) they're supposed to put their nice new entry stamp in the same passport as your previous exit stamp from country you just left.

At the time I had two passports from the same country(UK) further muddying the waters and fuddling their brains - I guess they don't see that too often whistling.gif and it rung a few alarm bells.

• Like 2

even in case off a land border crossing it is legal to leave one country on passport number 1 and enter the other country on passport number 2. To bear in mind that you only will be treated as the national as with the passport you entered the country. So leaving Thailand as a Thai and entering Laos as US citizen is perfectly possible.

In case of dual citizenship, US/Thai and you enter Thailand on your US passport, you will be treated as US citizen, whole the way. You are not considered Thai since you entered on your US passport.

Having some "fun" time on the border crossings is part of the "convenance" off course ;-)

Of course, using your Aussie passport to exit might have the airline, or Thai immigration, asking where the visa stamp is.

he used the aussi to come in, so he must use the aussi to get out...

there is no way around that...

what you use to get in, you use to get out. period coffee1.gif

I have switched passports mid flight so to speak on numerous occasions because one was getting

down in the number of blank pages available, I have never had a problem. Thailand- Cambodia

was one. That said I have not been to Vietnam yet but I am looking forward to it. I will be doing

the passport switch as well. In Thailand on my Canadian, landing on my British to take advantage

of the new visa rules which are nit in effect for my Canadian passport until next year. Have a great trip.

• Like 1

Seems it could be somewhat hit and miss?

No, it is not hit or a miss.

The OP can swap passports on the plane, each-way and neither Thai or Vietnamese Immigration will check. I have also done this frequently over the past 8 years and as recently as last week.

• Like 1