British woman in Hua Hin in quarantine for MERS

webfact

I read yesterday that they were still looking for 11 other people that were in close contact with the Omani.

I suppose she may have been one of the persons that they are looking for.

This is a good sign that the authorities are actually tracking these people down.

Nine others. But enough to suggest the Thai authorities, as ever, were overly enthusiastic, but underly realistic.

I thought Thai government had this all under control. Gee maybe I need to learn how to read better. Or maybe they need to better reporting.

Sounds,to me like they have: hunting down all who were on the plane with the Middle Eastern MERS guy, including this woman, as a precaution.

But don't let facts stop your Thai-bashing

Hello... My name's Miriam, and I'm the wife of the owner of Por Promin Muay Thai Camp, where Kerry was taken from, so I thought I'd add a little more information to this post, although I do wish people would thoroughly read the link to the article in the Argus Newspaper, as most of your questions can be answered there.

As the article states, Kerry was on the same plane as a man from Oman (it was a stop-over flight from England, so he was on the second plane that she was on from England) she was sitting three rows behind him. He was taken to hospital with what was thought to be chest or heart problems and difficulty breathing, after four days and four tests they confirmed he had MERS. His two sons who were sat next time him were immediately quarantined and tested and have come back with negative test results so far and are in quarantine until July 2.

The day after they confirmed he had MERS they came to get Kerry from Por Promin Muay Thai Camp. Three people arrived, a man from the Ministry of Health in Bangkok, a social worker and a health worker. They immediately asked if Kerry had displayed any symptoms to which we replied no. They told us that Kerry was on the same plane and would have to be taken into quarantine as a safety measure for 14 days from the date that she was potentially exposed to the virus.

I'm presuming they found her via her TM7 card that every foreigner who enters Thailand has to fill in and give the address at which they will be staying whilst in Thailand.

I understand they are still trying to locate about 8 foreigners - read that in an article yesterday - Bangkok post I think - sorry I can't provide a link.

They have explained that the chances of her actually having the virus are very slim and we do not need to take any precautions at the gym ONLY if she develops symptoms like 'fever' or 'respirartory problems' would they consider us at risk.

They explained that they were contacting all the people who were in the same economy compartment - they had to be under quarantine - the ones in the busines lounge and pilot etc just need to report their symptoms daily as they were even less at risk.

They are following WHO guidelines in order to prevent a break-out here.

The man from Oman is recovering well and was immediately moved from the original hospital he was in.

There is nothing dangerous about going to the hospital in which she is in (although it is not Bangkok Hospital) - the girl is under quarantine in a room by herself with no visitors allowed.

From what I understand it is not as easily transmissable as Ebola which spread like wildfire obviously.

As always the best thing is to read and do your own research before panicking!

At Por Promin Muay Thai Camp we're not panicking, we feel the Thai authorities have reacted quickly and efficiently and isolated people at risk, Kerry only has a few more days left at the hospital and then she'll be able to leave. The closer we get to the end of the 14 days it means she didn't contract the virus from him and we also have nothing to worry about.

Oh and someone was asking who's paying for this... not Kerry that's for sure - the Thai Government is and they are taking care of her very well under the circumstances.

Here's a great and informative article about MERS that should put you all somewhat at ease - at the end of the day it's a new virus so there are still things they don't know, but historically it doesn't seem to transmit human to human very well.

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/5/8735037/what-is-mers-virus

You've obviously done your homework, Miriam.

Two points: I think it safe to assume that most members posting here do know what a TM7 is, and what it's for.

And while it has been primarily spread in hospitals, the below excerpts from USA Today suggest there's no reason why it can't also be spread outside. And it doesn't need camels to do it.

'South Korean officials have isolated 680 people to limit the spread of the disease, which spreads when sick people cough.

The patient infected some patients in the same room, as well as others on the same ward of the hospitals. Some patients became infected after being exposed to the man for as little as five minutes, the WHO said.
There's a lot that doctors don't know about coronaviruses, (not just this virus) such as why some people appear so much more contagious than others.
"The fact that MERS has spread around the world is not surprising," Osterholm (director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota) said. "The question is, 'Where is it going to spread to next?' It could very easily come to America. Very easily. Any flight could contain someone who was infected in the Middle East."'

I thought Thai government had this all under control. Gee maybe I need to learn how to read better. Or maybe they need to better reporting.

Sounds,to me like they have: hunting down all who were on the plane with the Middle Eastern MERS guy, including this woman, as a precaution.

But don't let facts stop your Thai-bashing

Thai bashing? diehard60 is merely reiterating what the authorities were claiming just hours ago.

I read yesterday that they were still looking for 11 other people that were in close contact with the Omani.

I suppose she may have been one of the persons that they are looking for.

This is a good sign that the authorities are actually tracking these people down.

Nine others. But enough to suggest the Thai authorities, as ever, were overly enthusiastic, but underly realistic.

Nice bit of Thai bashing Jon, even after Miriams thoughtful, well written and above all FIRST HAND WITNESS/ KNOWLEDGE ACCOUNT

I hardly ever visit this forus unless its of some interest to me from the news feed. I'm sure this post is going to deteriate, but even important information like this is spolid by W8nkers, bar me if you want I'm passed caring...

Miss Newman said: “The first night was somewhat traumatic as I realised I was practically trapped in this one room that is virtually like a cell. Yet I have done absolutely nothing wrong to be locked up and imprisoned like this.

“Also there is a camera in my room so I am being watched, I feel like I am in some sort of strange Thai style Big Brother.

“Once I relaxed and realised that this is for the good of the rest of Thailand, and in fact the rest of the world, everything became a lot easier.”

Great attitude Kerry.

"Deputy Public Health Minister Dr Somsak Chunharas said MERS patients would be subsidised for treatment cost

during a 14-day quarantine conducted at private hospitals, or they would be transferred to government hospitals,

which would charge much lower rates."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/835544-mers-suspects-face-fines-if-they-dont-cooperate/?utm_source=newsletter-20150625-0744&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I will be very interested to know her reaction when she finds our she is responsible for her

hospital stay. I doubt insurance would cover it. The make money not paying claims, not

paying them. Their attitude would be , well you are not sick so we are not paying until

you are. As she is planning on a 6 month stay the two weeks time period is just a bump

on the road but the hospital bill will seriously deplete her vacation money.

Personally I would rather pay the 2k fine and report to a hospital immediately I developed

symptoms sad.png

It will be interesting to see the invoice she receives at the end of her forced stay.

The Thai Government is taking care of all quarantined cases, there won't be any bills for this woman.

That is good news, it's good to hear the newspapers got it wrong in their reports on this.

It will be interesting to see the invoice she receives at the end of her forced stay.

The Thai Government is taking care of all quarantined cases, there won't be any bills for this woman.

That is good news, it's good to hear the newspapers got it wrong in their reports on this.

Yes conflicting, another recent report about the 2000baht fine states there will be costs for treatment. However the owner of the Muay Thai camp earlier in this post said the Government were picking up the tab in this case, I would only assume any instances with this inital outbreak have been taken care of in a similar manner. Going forward there does indeed appear to be a tab.

Yes conflicting, another recent report about the 2000baht fine states there will be costs for treatment. However the owner of the Muay Thai camp earlier in this post said the Government were picking up the tab in this case, I would only assume any instances with this inital outbreak have been taken care of in a similar manner. Going forward there does indeed appear to be a tab.

The airlines involved and the government should work together and think quickly about this situation.

If people are quarantined in the future and forced to pay there will only be one outcome and it will be very bad for both the country and the airlines who fly through the middle east.

Edit : I think the airlines could be held responsible in this first case (guy from Oman) and should probably be made to pay any and all costs involved in the quarantine of passengers on that flight. They are probably insured for this kind of thing anyway.

"Dr. Richard Pebody of Public Health England said human to human transmission of Mers is rare.

He said: “Although any transmission risk is very small, as a precaution, we contact UK passengers on a plane who are in the vicinity of a case to follow-up, provide information and reassurance.”"

Sooo....those cases in S. Korea all was from camels and bats? Not transmission from Human to Human?? What it is in that statement that seems to contradict reality?

The cases in South Korea were transmitted in hospitals, mostly to family members who were caring for the patient. In South Korea families are admitted to wards, and can stay with the patient full time in very close contact, often preparing and sharing food, and sleeping in the same rooms.

This is how transmission mostly occurred, and MERS transmission is difficult, unless similar close physical contact over a sustained period has happened. Respiratory viruses are often more commonly transmitted by touch rather than by being airborne. The risk from sitting many rows behind someone with the disease in a plane is very small indeed.

So there is no inconsistency with the reports that human to human transmission of MERS is relatively difficult.

What is always true is that newspapers and websites like to increase clickbait advertising revenue by exaggerating the epidemic dangers of every disease, everywhere.

Thanks for making this very clear. I stand corrected.

For some of the commenters, would you rather that this lady visit you, and then you become

sick with MERS. Maybe you would rather try a bit of SARS, or Ebola, if not then just be happy that

this is not you sitting in quarantine in the hospital.

I would rather have some of my time in Thailand, spent in a hospital, than to die of MERS or any other disease.

Thank you very much!

Hello everyone Miriam here from Por Promin Muay Thai Camp again with another update wai.gif

Kerry has now been released from her quarantine having been thoroughly tested for MERS, by throat swab, nasal swab and blood tests and has been fully cleared to be MERS free - so she didnt get it from the Oman guy. clap2.gif

Also to confirm that she DIDN'T pay a penny for her stay in hospital, the staff looked after her very well, bringing her food three times a day, lots of fruit and extra treats and to say goodbye and thanks for being so compliant they gave her a traditional Thai hamper basket full of more goodies!

In five days they will be popping round to they gym to check on her one more final time.

It's a shame that article said people will have to pay for quarantine in the future, I don't really think that's fair on the individual, you're just gonna put people off travelling - but I'm not sure what the solution should be, who should have to pay, and I'm guessing insurance probably wouldn't cough up in this situation either! So I do hope that the intial article was wrong about charging patients in the future but I don't think a 2,000 baht fine is enough, if you need to be quarantined you should be compliant, it is after all for the greater good of not only Thailand, but the world, when it comes to preventing a larger MERS outbreak!

Thankfully it seems Thailand has only this one case, the Omani man, and fingers crossed it will stay that way! thumbsup.gif

Archived