Kuwait Airlines KU118 flight: New York to Kuwait Plane In State Of Emergency

Lite Beer

Kuwait-Bound Plane In State Of Emergency

A plane travelling from New York to Kuwait City has declared a state of emergency and has diverted to the UK, reports say.

Flight KU118, which departed from JFK airport bound for the Kuwaiti capital, has now landed at Heathrow airport, according to aviation website Air Live.

The reason behind the diversion is currently unclear.

Read More: http://news.sky.com/story/1509297/kuwait-bound-plane-in-state-of-emergency

--SkyNews 2015-06-27

Very odd.

The article seems to imply there is some connection to the recent Kuwait terror attack.

Keep in mind it is Ramadan month now and Isis has ordered it's global followers to do terror things anywhere they are.

Edited by Jingthing

Emergency declared 'after food poisoning outbreak'

Airlines will no doubt be on heightened alert following yesterday's terror attacks.

But it now appears that the emergency onboard the plane was caused by food poisoning.

RT UK reports that six passengers onboard the flight fell ill.

We will bring you more reports as we get them.

Mirror

Plane from New York to Kuwait diverts to UK after declaring state of emergency
LONDON:-- A plane on its way from New York to Kuwait has diverted to the UK after declaring a state of emergency.
Kuwait Airways flight 118 sent out an emergency signal as it travelled over Europe shortly after 8am and turned back over Germany.
Flight tracking data shows the Boeing 777 headed straight for Britain and landed at London Heathrow Airport at around 9.10am.
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: "It was a routine diversion for a medical emergency."

God, I hope it's not another of the spate of terrorist actions....hopefully just a drunk passenger out of control or something like that.

Nothing quite so serious. It was a really serious shortage of edible snacks.

Correction: edible snacks

Edited by MaxYakov

Very odd.

The article seems to imply there is some connection to the recent Kuwait terror attack.

Keep in mind it is Ramadan month now and Isis has ordered it's global followers to do terror things anywhere they are.

immigrants have got bored with calais,they have repelled the riot police and now are armed and assaulting lorry drivers,so this is a natural step forward for them.

In my opinion, if someone get unwell and they descide to do an emergency landing, why they not land at Belgium where they were flying over, or munich strassbourg... why to fly a whole way in opposite direction ??

Edited by Incobart

In my opinion, if someone get unwell and they descide to do an emergency landing, why they not land at Belgium where they were flying over, or munich strassbourg... why to fly a whole way in opposite direction ??

All would-be migrants know the NHS is free for all from anywhere in the world and they give you a house and money.

My thoughts exactly, or Germany as it was already in their airspace.......however you never know what ATC will propose, they would have had to descend quite an altitude and that could be a factor.

Or Dusseldorf , they were just over it.

The NHS is free...

It's about the length of time it takes for a commercial airliner to descend from around 35,000ft. At 500 mph, the distance from Germany to England is not that great. Air traffic controllers made the call based on traffic, I would think. Apparently, this was the quickest way down to terra firma.

It's about the length of time it takes for a commercial airliner to descend from around 35,000ft. At 500 mph, the distance from Germany to England is not that great. Air traffic controllers made the call based on traffic, I would think. Apparently, this was the quickest way down to terra firma.

This is an idea how long for an airliner to descend and can explain why the UK site was chosen. If it was a serious mechanical issue than a quicker than normal descent, such as an emergency descent, may be done for the closest field.

Calculate the starting point of the descent. Normally, the descent rate would define the point at which the descent must be started. Descent rates are usually chosen to be between 333 feet (102 m) per minute and 500 feet (153 m) per minute to give an effective descent without discomforting the passengers due to rising air pressure as the aircraft descends.

The descent is left short of the landing field to give room for the aircraft to line up for final approach. For example, an aircraft is at a ground speed of 300 MPH (480 KPH) and an altitude of 35,000 feet (10675 m). The aircraft needs to complete the descent at 2,500 feet (763 m) altitude and 10 miles (16 km) short of the landing field to allow time for the aircraft to line up for final approach.

At a chosen descent rate of 500 feet (153 m) per minute, the aircraft will take 32,500 divided by 500, or 65 minutes, to complete the descent. The aircraft will fly 325 miles (520 km) in 65 minutes. To allow 10 more miles (16 km) to the runway for final approach, the descent must be started 335 miles (536 km) from the landing field.

How to calculate descent rate

Oops. Others beat me to it. That's about a normal descent angle from normal cruise altitude and normal speed.

Edited by NeverSure

still not convinced .. there are 10 international airports in a front of them that are closer or same distance as London ...

Airliners are pressurized and descend much faster than 500fpm. Typical top of descent point from 35,000 feet will be about 110nm from landing point including deceleration. A few very clean acft (low drag) or that descend off idle (like 747-8) will start down about 25 miles earlier.

The reason for the diversion to UK may have been affected by the location of another crew to continue the flight, visa issues, ground handling issues or curfews.

From the Flightaware logs the descent started at 3:46:04 at 36,000 feet and completed around 4:09:12 or 23 minutes. 1565 feet per minute descent rate. It looks like they started their turnaround around 03:16:52. That is when they reduced altitude by 1000 feet from 37,000 to 36,000 as they changed direction to West and a slow descent rate to 36,000.

So, after their turnaround they flew at altitude for around 30 minutes before beginning their descent into London.

flightaware log