Advice for driving BIG bikes in Thailand

kannot

I have seen so many riders/drivers over the years do the same thing when they have miscalculated an overtake..they press on regardless as this guy did and often pay the big price for it.

Yes, so have I. Also in my younger years I have done some very foolish overtakes. I clipped the side of a lorry once. The oncoming one as there was no gap left in a similar scenario to the video. That was about 35 years ago and I only clipped my mirror. Part of my 'learning curve'.

I think the guy was just trying to make the point that he had made a mistake. It is a common one, but he was just sharing the point that at the time he went for the overtake he could not see the oncoming lorry.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you, but does MR THAI driver expect you to do that? most scooters are on the left here in Pranburi. The Roundabout.......Thais simply do not KNOW the right of way, happily let you see a roundabout by me, its a bunch of clueless idiots and if I assume they are going to stop Im sure they wont as they simply dont know.

I am NOT attempting to break the law Im attempting to stay alive in Thailand and if that means I have to break their rules which they do and Mr Thai expects me to stop or not stop in certain areas right or wrong thats what Ill have to do.

I never see BIG bikes riding in at the " bike lane " you must be the only scooter who drives left of the centre for miles around,whether its right or wrong, legal or illegal I have to go with the flow to stay alive

Yes they must because not one of them has rammed me from behind. Thais do know the right of way. It is as I said before they choose to ignore it some/most of the time. You can, and should, follow the law on driving. Doing so will not get you killed or injured any more than not doing so. You sound very much like all those Farangs I've come across who won't stop at a pedestrian crossing when they know they should. Feeble excuses "I'll get rammed from behind" are given when in reality it is the same excuse that the Thais have "I can get away with it so why not". Best of luck in your lawless driving, but I'll not be visiting you in hospital.

You are both right. Many Thai's don't know how to use roundabouts and stopping just to prove you do could cause an idiot to ram you in the rear.

But there are also many Thai's who do know how to use Roundabouts and as we do. Should we not at least try to encourage correct use?

There are not many roundabouts on Koh Samui so I was interested in the mini roundabout there and how it is used. I have had people give way to me even though they were already going round the roundabout. I have stopped to give way to the right only to have a fleet of scooters ride past me to force their way through.

My police officer friend says it is a accident black spot. He also said there was regular enforcement of the rules by police officers and local initiatives to encourage better use.

We already know that many folks think they are supposed to give way to the left.

I know that I only need to stop if there is something I need to give way to, I will always try and avoid stopping. Adjusting my speed on approach so I can make a gap. That way I am not going to be in danger from stopping anyway. Then depending on how the road layout is I would try and position myself if I did have to stop, in a manor that would avoid being rear ended. Then keep one eye on the mirror if I considered myself in danger.

There is no black and white answer. Roundabouts in the UK are often black spots but at least there the majority know how to use them.

Just be glad you don't have a magic roundabout.

2000px-Swindon_Magic_Roundabout.svg.png

Good for you, but does MR THAI driver expect you to do that? most scooters are on the left here in Pranburi. The Roundabout.......Thais simply do not KNOW the right of way, happily let you see a roundabout by me, its a bunch of clueless idiots and if I assume they are going to stop Im sure they wont as they simply dont know.

I am NOT attempting to break the law Im attempting to stay alive in Thailand and if that means I have to break their rules which they do and Mr Thai expects me to stop or not stop in certain areas right or wrong thats what Ill have to do.

I never see BIG bikes riding in at the " bike lane " you must be the only scooter who drives left of the centre for miles around,whether its right or wrong, legal or illegal I have to go with the flow to stay alive

Yes they must because not one of them has rammed me from behind. Thais do know the right of way. It is as I said before they choose to ignore it some/most of the time. You can, and should, follow the law on driving. Doing so will not get you killed or injured any more than not doing so. You sound very much like all those Farangs I've come across who won't stop at a pedestrian crossing when they know they should. Feeble excuses "I'll get rammed from behind" are given when in reality it is the same excuse that the Thais have "I can get away with it so why not". Best of luck in your lawless driving, but I'll not be visiting you in hospital.

You are both right. Many Thai's don't know how to use roundabouts and stopping just to prove you do could cause an idiot to ram you in the rear.

But there are also many Thai's who do know how to use Roundabouts and as we do. Should we not at least try to encourage correct use?

There are not many roundabouts on Koh Samui so I was interested in the mini roundabout there and how it is used. I have had people give way to me even though they were already going round the roundabout. I have stopped to give way to the right only to have a fleet of scooters ride past me to force their way through.

My police officer friend says it is a accident black spot. He also said there was regular enforcement of the rules by police officers and local initiatives to encourage better use.

We already know that many folks think they are supposed to give way to the left.

I know that I only need to stop if there is something I need to give way to, I will always try and avoid stopping. Adjusting my speed on approach so I can make a gap. That way I am not going to be in danger from stopping anyway. Then depending on how the road layout is I would try and position myself if I did have to stop, in a manor that would avoid being rear ended. Then keep one eye on the mirror if I considered myself in danger.

There is no black and white answer. Roundabouts in the UK are often black spots but at least there the majority know how to use them.

You like @kannot before you seem to have misinterpreted my "stopping for". I'm not talking emergency stopping which could result in a rear end collision. I am talking controlled stopping, slowing down gently and coming to a halt if required. That should and so far for me NOT result in a rear end collision. Traffic slows down and stops for all manner of reasons not just because the law requires you to do so. Typical instances of non-obligatory traffic slowing down and halting in Thailand are:

Dropped the mobile phone

Saw a pretty girl

Changing the DVD

Missed the turning and want to reverse back to it

There's a big hole in the road ahead

A truck/mini van has just pulled out in front of me (tap naa)

etc etc

If all the above slowing down and stopping were to result in rear end collisions there would be millions of traffic accidents per hour in Thailand.

You like @kannot before you seem to have misinterpreted my "stopping for". I'm not talking emergency stopping which could result in a rear end collision. I am talking controlled stopping, slowing down gently and coming to a halt if required. That should and so far for me NOT result in a rear end collision. Traffic slows down and stops for all manner of reasons not just because the law requires you to do so. Typical instances of non-obligatory traffic slowing down and halting in Thailand are:

Dropped the mobile phone

Saw a pretty girl

Changing the DVD

etc etc

If all the above slowing down and stopping were to result in rear end collisions there would be millions of traffic accidents per hour in Thailand.

There are millions of accidents in Thailand

Firstly, don't wear flip flops and shorts. You probably know this already since you've been riding for a long time, but my dad has been riding for 30 years and still doesn't wear proper gear; so just incase.

Secondly, where do you live? If you live in Bangkok, don't bother getting a big bike. The traffic is bad 24/7, you'll be riding at maximum speeds of 60 km/h if you're lucky. You'll be holding your clutch 99% of the time unless you lane split. Not just that, the heat. Since you'll need proper biking gear, you'll probably be sweating like a pig at red lights in Bangkok.

Since your lane splitting capabilities have decreased because a big bike is well.. BIGGER than a scooter, you'll be crawling everywhere and you might aswell just replace that 600cc motor with a 50cc one. And if you don't lane split, be prepared to feel like an outcast compared to other motorbikes.

Like many bikers have said, you have to think everyone is out there to kill you. That pink smart car 100m away? Yep he/she will probably try to smash you off the road. The taxi behind you? He'll tailgate you until he hits you.

To answer your question, yes, ride it like it was as big as a car. I ride my scooter the same as any car. I don't lane split and I don't care what anyone says or thinks about it. I don't care if it's legal here, either. Just because I ride a vehicle on two wheels doesn't mean I get more rights than someone on four wheels. Just my opinion.

Firstly, don't wear flip flops and shorts. You probably know this already since you've been riding for a long time, but my dad has been riding for 30 years and still doesn't wear proper gear; so just incase.

Secondly, where do you live? If you live in Bangkok, don't bother getting a big bike. The traffic is bad 24/7, you'll be riding at maximum speeds of 60 km/h if you're lucky. You'll be holding your clutch 99% of the time unless you lane split. Not just that, the heat. Since you'll need proper biking gear, you'll probably be sweating like a pig at red lights in Bangkok.

Since your lane splitting capabilities have decreased because a big bike is well.. BIGGER than a scooter, you'll be crawling everywhere and you might aswell just replace that 600cc motor with a 50cc one. And if you don't lane split, be prepared to feel like an outcast compared to other motorbikes.

Like many bikers have said, you have to think everyone is out there to kill you. That pink smart car 100m away? Yep he/she will probably try to smash you off the road. The taxi behind you? He'll tailgate you until he hits you.

To answer your question, yes, ride it like it was as big as a car. I ride my scooter the same as any car. I don't lane split and I don't care what anyone says or thinks about it. I don't care if it's legal here, either. Just because I ride a vehicle on two wheels doesn't mean I get more rights than someone on four wheels. Just my opinion.

Ive seen a 6 cylinder cruiser (honda gold wing?) filter and split more aggressively then any honda wave 110

Edited by Jdiddy

I will agree that if the sole purpose of your riding is commuting into a big city then a larger bike could be considered unnecessary. However if you also like me want to escape from time to time and can only afford one bike then larger bikes are not necessarily bad. I can easily put my 1100 where anyone can get a scooter. I have always used my 900's, 1000's or 1100's for training in cities where I spent my days following learners on 125's and 50's. Sometimes the larger engine could be considered better as the heat in generates is less due to never having to strain the engine.

Having also owned and ridden bikes with sidecars and Trikes, I prefer to use the advantages that two wheels allows that lets me filter through the traffic.

One big concern in Thailand was becoming a sandwich between two trucks, buses or minivans. We all know Thai maintenance can be poor, many Thai's do not understand safe stopping distances and many might drive erratically. Being a small thing in a big picture means we are often missed from view. Hence the SMidSy accidents. The human brain struggles to deal with all the information it receives and can often miss a detail from the corner of vision if focusing on greater things.

So although if the traffic is moving at more than a few miles an hour I would prefer to go with the flow. I will filter and lane split when it is safe. However lane splitting is dangerous. We all know this, we have all seen the daily accidents. But we can do it with a degree of safety. For a start lets keep the speed down, give us time to react. Then there is

'Where there is a gap - there is a trap" and "CanGo?-WillGo!"

If there is a gap in the left lane then the car in the right lane is bound to want to use it. You can be sure he will try as soon as you try to go through. Use the mirrors on the cars and the way wheels are pointing to get clues as to what drivers are intending on doing. If there is a U-turn or slip road ahead then be prepared for people on the far opposite lane to suddenly decide they want that exit at the last possible moment.

As humans we all learn through trial and error. Anyone who has stayed alive riding on Thailand's roads understands how dangerous they can be. Use that knowledge to try and predict what will happen. Not what should happen if everyone was playing by the rules.

When I did my advanced Riding Test in the UK I was picked up on one thing. I had overtaken on a chevron area. Not broken the law as it was bordered by a broken line. However it was pointed out that as I was an advanced rider and Instructor I should be setting the example. At the time I thought "if you could only see what I ride like when I am not being assessed by a police officer!" but at the same time he does have a point.

I would hate for Thailand to be as restricted as the UK. But I would also like to be able to ride Thai roads without such a level of fear to my safety. For that to happen everyone needs to take responsabillity for their actions.

11709747_10153951720200828_8829619785206

Dropped the mobile phone

Saw a pretty girl

Changing the DVD

etc etc

There are millions of accidents in Thailand

Not per hour which is what I said................

Just rode to Hua Hin and around the backcountry there. While Thai traffic is peculiar, it's not murderous. One has to make sure to stay out of the way and give big berth around any vehicles passing to stay out of their blind spot.

I finding liberating not to have to look in my rear view mirror for some kid-cop chasing me down or telling me my riding is unsafe. I like to stay 20-40km/h ahead of traffic flow where possible. Seems on a reasonably free flowing day I actually didn't make it far above 130-140km/h.

Filtering, lane splitting etc becomes a non issue as here the lanes are made up on the go anyway.

Riding in the scooter lanes can be ok (I use four way flashers and obviously go slow) but there are too many obstacles and sudden kerbs or such.

On country road, debris is the biggest obstacle to enjoying carefree twisties.

Statistics about motorcycle deaths are a bit incomparable. Here there are a gazillion scooters and most people wear neither gear not helmet. Considering death per 1M Km might be more apt than just saying "omg look at how many motorcyclists die in thailand". They have a way to go to make scooter riders be safer.

Kannot, I ride a big bike after riding a small one for about nine years, and what I say is this. Forget the Highway code in Thailand, forget about keeping in the first lane, forget about not driving in the hard shoulder, as very often the first lane is rutted and potholed due to heavy lorries.

Whether on a small bike or big bike, ride defensively all the time, use common sense always, and ride the hard shoulder, 1st, 2nd, or any lane according to road and traffic conditions. Always be aware of the road conditions all the time you are riding, watch for trees shadowing over the road in front of the sun and hiding the ruts and potholes. Keep safe.

Statistics about motorcycle deaths are a bit incomparable. Here there are a gazillion scooters and most people wear neither gear not helmet. Considering death per 1M Km might be more apt than just saying "omg look at how many motorcyclists die in thailand". They have a way to go to make scooter riders be safer.

I do agree that the numbers can be dramatic. However Thailand is not only ranked one of the most dangerous countries in the world to ride a motorcycle. But also possibly the most dangerous country in Asia.

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-has-asias-most-deadly-roads/

Also with big bike motorcycle sales going up the situation is going to get worse before it gets better. I do agree this thread is not about headline figures. But without recognising the dangers you are more likely to become part of the statistics yourself.

Also be aware that drivers do NOT indicate PRIOR to manoeuvring. They turn their steering wheel whilst (occasionally) switching on a turn signal.

I was nearly wiped out yesterday by some @rse changing lanes opposite to me.

The scaremongering on this thread is shocking. I'm surprised some of you even leave the house.

To suggest that Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world to ride a motorcycle is just unbelievable. Have you guys actually travelled to other countries?

Thailand is a joy to ride a motorcycle. To be in a country where people actually look out for your presence etc is great. In Bangkok most vehicles give way to bikes.

Yes statistics tell us there are more accidents here than most other countries but there are millions of motorcycles on the move everyday.

Yes I've had minor accidents that by law were not my fault, but deep down I know they were all my fault.

Experience is everything and I've been here over 15 years and yet some come on here spouting rubbish after being here 5 minutes.

Yes there are bad drivers here but there are bad drivers everywhere, It's all about anticipating situations and reacting to them. Though clearly this is a skill that cannot be taught to some.

I'm sorry if some of you have had serious accidents but most were probably avoidable if more aware of how it works here.

George Bernard Shaw once said "Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few(none) survive." Yet I still eat.
Get a grip and stop listening to people who come over here on their high horse thinking they know everything. Just because they were taught this way by someone who has probably never left their home town.

I've always tried to ride expecting the unexpected, but I got a new one a while back. I'd borrowed my brother in law's yamaha roadstar to go for a run (yup, I know ... ).

It had gone dark, the traffic had gone quiet and I'm riding along the 225 back to Chaiyaphum. Its a good road with no nasty suprises apart from the usual farm trucks with no lights and kids on souped up mopeds again with no lights.

I'd slowed down to about 60km passing through a village, houses well set back of the road, and street lights every few hundred metres .. spidey senses on full alert when I spotted maybe 20 metres in front, a slightly darker patch on the road in the headlight ... then it moved .... a black labrador sized dog asleep in the middle of my side of the road.

Managed to move around it (just) without coming to any harm ...

This, BTW is one of the major roads in Isaan.

Just another thing to be wary of ...

TIT

Edited by sandmike

I do agree that the numbers can be dramatic. However Thailand is not only ranked one of the most dangerous countries in the world to ride a motorcycle. But also possibly the most dangerous country in Asia.

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-has-asias-most-deadly-roads/

Also with big bike motorcycle sales going up the situation is going to get worse before it gets better. I do agree this thread is not about headline figures. But without recognising the dangers you are more likely to become part of the statistics yourself.

Many gets killed when they ride pissed home after a night out or if they ride in the early hours in the weekends and gets hit by a drunk driver in a pick-up truck doing +130km/h inside the city limits.

Happens every weekends here in Pattaya, sadly.

I never ride after dark if can be avoided to minimize the dangers of that but a girl say working in a hotel perhaps has to ride home at 2400 and that can be very risky.

If they can just stop the drunk driving/riding and the statistics will improve drastic.

Here is one from yesterday: http://pattayadailynews.com/drunken-sailor-jailed/

Very sad man, the little girl lost a leg and her mother is in ICU, hope the scumbag will have to pay a huge compensation and 5 years in jail on top.

The scaremongering on this thread is shocking. I'm surprised some of you even leave the house.

To suggest that Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world to ride a motorcycle is just unbelievable. Have you guys actually travelled to other countries?

Thailand is a joy to ride a motorcycle. To be in a country where people actually look out for your presence etc is great. In Bangkok most vehicles give way to bikes.

Yes statistics tell us there are more accidents here than most other countries but there are millions of motorcycles on the move everyday.

Yes I've had minor accidents that by law were not my fault, but deep down I know they were all my fault.

Experience is everything and I've been here over 15 years and yet some come on here spouting rubbish after being here 5 minutes.

Yes there are bad drivers here but there are bad drivers everywhere, It's all about anticipating situations and reacting to them. Though clearly this is a skill that cannot be taught to some.

I'm sorry if some of you have had serious accidents but most were probably avoidable if more aware of how it works here.

George Bernard Shaw once said "Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few(none) survive." Yet I still eat.
Get a grip and stop listening to people who come over here on their high horse thinking they know everything. Just because they were taught this way by someone who has probably never left their home town.

Couldn't agree more. I love riding in this country, I find riding here easy and enjoyable. Yeah there are idiots, but there is in every country. Just go with the flow, be relaxed, , concentrate and always keep a look out and you should be OK.

If you ride around scared all the time you are going to get into an accident.

Couldn't agree more. I love riding in this country, I find riding here easy and enjoyable. Yeah there are idiots, but there is in every country. Just go with the flow, be relaxed, , concentrate and always keep a look out and you should be OK.

Very good. I am glad to hear you are both excellent riders who never have accidents. Well done.

Keep up the good work.

Obviously all the reports from the first responders, the daily incident reports on here. My friends in Bike clubs in the South, all the post on this thread and this whole thread is all about scaremongers.

Like everyone is on a mission to scare everyone else? Do you honestly think that is what this is all about?

Why do you have to be on the attack?

Some have always got to find fault and blame.

Can we not just share tips and discuss staying safe on the roads?

Very good. I am glad to hear you are both excellent riders who never have accidents. Well done.

Keep up the good work.

Obviously all the reports from the first responders, the daily incident reports on here. My friends in Bike clubs in the South, all the post on this thread and this whole thread is all about scaremongers.

Like everyone is on a mission to scare everyone else? Do you honestly think that is what this is all about?

What are you talking about? Attack? I just gave an opinion, basic tips and another view on how riding in Bangkok/Thailand isn't some scary crazy hell ride that some make it out to be.

So stop getting your panties in a twist and just accept that not everyone is craping their pants when they take their bike out.

By the way I have had accidents here, and as macknife pointed out, they were my fault. Just I learnt from them and try to make sure I don't do it again.

Keep up the good work.

What are you talking about? Attack? I just gave an opinion, basic tips and another view on how riding in Bangkok/Thailand isn't some scary crazy hell ride that some make it out to be.

So stop getting your panties in a twist and just accept that not everyone is craping their pants when they take their bike out.

By the way I have had accidents here, and as macknife pointed out, they were my fault. Just I learnt from them and try to make sure I don't do it again.

Glad you learnt from them English M. Maybe, just maybe a reason why you think there are many "scaremongers" is possibly to do with the ages of bike-bike riders in Thailand. Obviously, the older you get, the more wary you are of an accident ( old guys don't bounce as well). There does seem to be quite a large number of both Thai and farang riders of advanced age here as well as younger riders.

As my old uncle used to say (at 73) " I'm not too old to ride but I am too old to fall off". He rode a Vincent Black Shadow BTW.

One of the folks behind http://nosurprise.org.uk/ also runs an interesting page on Facebook called 'Survival Skills' https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSkills

This is the latest post that I thought some of you might find interesting.

Do any training or open any book on better riding skills and there will be plenty of tips on HOW to brake. I've spent many hours teaching trainees: "shut the throttle, gently apply the front brake, gently apply the rear brake, squeeze the front brake harder as if you were squeezing a lemon, ease off the front brake as you come to a halt".

That's good braking technique. But having good technique doesn't mean we have the skill to judge braking distances yet; the other important question is: "just WHERE to I brake for a corner?"

The reason that we can't answer that question easily is because it's a judgment call which we learn almost entirely by experience. And like any 'learning by experience' we tend to learn by getting it wrong and correcting the errors as we develop the skill of judging braking correctly. Now, because they are rubbish at judging their speed and stopping distance new riders tend to make one of two mistakes.

Either they creep up to a corner at low speed and brake way too early (which is at least a fail-safe mistake) because they lack confidence with the brakes or...

...they barrel up way too fast and brake way too late (which isn't nearly so forgiving).

Given that neither technique is a good way of learning, then it follows that "where do I brake for a corner" is the wrong question.

The right question is: "how long is a piece of string?"

Think about it. How do you measure a piece of string? You find its end.

And that's the right question to ask about braking. Where's the end? Where do we have to stop braking?

It's the right question just so long as we already understand good throttle control in a bend!

Hopefully we already know that we want to be able to drive a road bike through the bend at steady speed or maybe just under gentle acceleration because this typically keeps the machine most stable in the bend itself and gives a good feel to the rider.

Now if we know we want to drive the bike through the corner on the throttle, then we know where we need to be back on the throttle - ideally, it's just before we actually reach the corner, so that we can get back on the throttle whilst still upright and before we start to steer.

And given that we don't want to be braking and accelerating at the same time, then once we know where we want to turn the throttle, we also know where we need to be off the brakes - just before the corner, to give us time to ease them off and gently put the power back on.

So now we know just where we need to get off the brakes, we can start working out just where we need to put the brakes on. Now, I mentioned that many new riders are lacking in confidence when it comes to applying the brakes. But think, what's the exercise using the brakes that even a CBT trainee has done? Yes, it's the emergency stop. So if we're braking at less than the rate we'd use for an emergency stop, then we have space to slow down!

Now, I'm not suggesting for one moment that the right way to brake for a corner is by doing an emergency stop every time we come up to one, but it should give us some idea of how hard we could brake if we needed to - a benchmark if you like. Many of the overshoot errors in corners arise because when new (and not-so-new) riders realise they are entering a corner a bit quick, they promptly forget that they already have the technique to brake hard. It's just a matter of remembering how to perform a good hard stop.

Now, it'll still take new (and some not-so-new) riders some time to build the experience to get comfortable with braking up to bends, but at least by remembering these two points:

- get the braking finished BEFORE you open the throttle ready for the corner
- if you can pull an emergency stop, you have the skills to brake hard

you can get a lot more comfortable with the learning by trial and error because you're far less likely to make the mistake of running into a bend far too quickly.

Remember, it's not where you start braking, or how hard you can brake that's important - it's making sure you finish braking before the bend that counts.

"To suggest that Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world to ride a motorcycle is just unbelievable"

More unbelievable is to suggest it isnt.

Experience wont stop a dog running out from nowhere to have you off and in a country with unlimited un-tethered dogs. No amount of "experience" will save you from stupidity either.