Tons of meat seized in Phuket beef smuggler raid

Lite Beer

Tons of meat seized in Phuket beef smuggler raid
Eakkapop Thongtub

1435399458_1-org.jpg

Navy personnel forced the open open. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Two tons of meat were seized when Royal Thai Navy troops raided a beef cold-storage facility north of Phuket Town yesterday (June 26).

Acting on a tip-off, 25 officers carried out the raid, on a house in the residential area in Soi Siangtai in Rassada.

Among the raid party were Navy personnel led by Lt Sompop Kamkana, meat inspectors and police led by Phuket City Police Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Koondet Na Nongkai.

At the back of the house, officers found a makeshift cold room equipped with a security camera.

With no persons home, the Navy personnel forced opened the door, to find an estimated one million baht of meat in sealed bags.

However, Somboon Intarat, 55, soon arrived home to find his stash had been raided.

Mr Somboon presented officers documents that he said proved his meat import business was legitimate, but officers said they had yet to confirm that the meat was imported from countries that he had permits for.

Although placed under arrest for suspicion of illegally importing meat into the country, Mr Somboon has yet to face any formal charges.

Officers leading the raid told The Phuket News that they expect their investigation into the origin of the meat found to take at least 10 days.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tons-of-meat-seized-in-phuket-beef-smuggler-raid-52967.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-27

Puket cops have nothing better to do than hunt down meat smugglers? Every time I open the news somone is getting murdered there usually a tourist. But maybe that kind of crime isgood for the country......................................................................... WOW!

On the other news, related to this.

Chinese authorities have seized more than 100,000 tonnes of smuggled meat - some of it more than 40 years old, according to state media.

The frozen meat, estimated to be worth about £300 million (3bn yuan; $483m), was seized in a nationwide crackdown.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33254123

I don't believe that report. It would be very costly to keep the dead meat without fully decomposing for 40 years.

Chinese authorities have seized more than 100,000 tonnes of smuggled meat - some of it more than 40 years old, according to state media.

The frozen meat, estimated to be worth about £300 million (3bn yuan; $483m), was seized in a nationwide crackdown.

I don't believe that report. It would be very costly to keep the dead meat without fully decomposing for 40 years.

you would be surprised at what gets "burried" in the back of large walk in freezers. I know, not all the chinese find was 40yo, most more recent. The smugglers may have had a business cleaning out this old frozen meat then selling it. I did the same with old frozen fish, got it for free and used it in pet food....... this guy in Phuket may be legit, maybe they should test the meat and check his records before arresting him but, TIT.

I have heard about the virtues of aged meats, but this is ridicules...

I have heard about the virtues of aged meats, but this is ridicules...

Guess you can go in and order an '83 sirloin to go with that fine wine from the same vintage.

What wine goes good with rotten meat, red or white?

Good work!!! We can't have a plentiful supply of high-quality, inexpensive imported beef flooding the markets. How else can we ensure that poor quality Thai beef remains the only affordable choice at the market and in restaurants?

Yes, there indeed is a difference. I just returned from Cambodia where good Aussie beef is cheaply and readily available from many sources. Cambodia simply does not charge the exhorbitant import duties Thailand charges on imported beef. Perhaps too much big money is involved in Thai beef production.

Good work!!! We can't have a plentiful supply of high-quality, inexpensive imported beef flooding the markets. How else can we ensure that poor quality Thai beef remains the only affordable choice at the market and in restaurants?

Yes, there indeed is a difference. I just returned from Cambodia where good Aussie beef is cheaply and readily available from many sources. Cambodia simply does not charge the exhorbitant import duties Thailand charges on imported beef. Perhaps too much big money is involved in Thai beef production.

Thailand has always over taxed products that are in demand from farang.

Not only do they make a lot of money out of those farang prepared to pay, but they also protect their own inferior, locally produced product, which becomes considerably cheaper to purchase, because many times cheap Issan or Burmese labour is used in production.

Those in control, simply create a monopoly, because they can influence the amount of tax placed on an imported competing product.

It's just one reason why Thailand is now struggling to offer a quality, value for money holiday, to tourists.

Edited by NamKangMan

you would be surprised at what gets "burried" in the back of large walk in freezers. I know, not all the chinese find was 40yo, most more recent. The smugglers may have had a business cleaning out this old frozen meat then selling it. I did the same with old frozen fish, got it for free and used it in pet food....... this guy in Phuket may be legit, maybe they should test the meat and check his records before arresting him but, TIT.

id have to call BS on the 40y.o claim. For starters how could they possibly know by just looking?

It makes no sense anyway, after that time it would be freezer burnt beyond recognition.

Maybe if a heavily marbled primal you could shave a couple of inches off and ressurect it.!

id have to call BS on the 40y.o claim. For starters how could they possibly know by just looking?

It makes no sense anyway, after that time it would be freezer burnt beyond recognition.

Maybe if a heavily marbled primal you could shave a couple of inches off and ressurect it.!

Not so far fetched...

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/2555/prehistoric-meat-up

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57100/time-250000-year-old-mammoth-was-served-dinner

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2725/prehistoric-its-whats-for-dinner

http://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-uncover-frozen-mammoth-blood-flows-out/

Edited by impulse