Call to release students

Lite Beer

NEO DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT
Call to release students
KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN,
PANYA THIOSANGWAN
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- GROUP OF 53 ACADEMICS AND ACTIVISTS DEMANDS THAT THE JUNTA FREE 14 ANTI-COUP DETAINEES AND CALLS FOR PUBLIC SUPPORT

A GROUP of leading academics and activists yesterday demanded that 14 arrested student activists be immediately released and called on the public to stand up to the junta.

The group of 53 academics and activists, calling themselves People Behind the Neo Democracy Movement, issued a statement to demand that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) return power to the people.

Earlier yesterday, Deputy Defence Minister General Udomdej Sitabutr threatened to take action against those behind the anti-government movement led by the Neo Democracy Movement (NDM), the group the 14 arrested students belong to, which consists mainly of university students.

More than 50 political activists and prominent academics gathered at Suan Ngern Mee Ma, a training centre that served as a shelter for the student activists before their arrest on Friday.

In a statement, the scholars and activists identified themselves as supporters of the arrested students, emphasised their stance in opposing what they labelled a dictatorship and the "selfishness and ineffectiveness" of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The statement was signed by all 53 members of the group. The most prominent among them are social critic Sulak Sivaraksa, political scientist Kasian Tejapira, former Thammasat University rector Charnvit Kasetsiri, and noted writer Suchat Sawatsri.

Sulak and Suchat were also present during a press conference yesterday to announce the group's stance.

Other signatories to the statement include Chulalongkorn University political scientist Puangthong Pawakapan, Thammasat University anthologist Yukti Mukdavijit, political scientist Pongkwan Sawasdipakdi, and Same Sky magazine editor Thanapol Eiwsakul.

"What kind of society is the NCPO leading Thailand to? Calls for democracy and justice using non-violence have become criminalised," their statement said.

'Scared of opponents' opinions'

The student group had earlier denied a claim by the authorities that political groups were behind their moves.

"Prayut's administration is scared of opponents' opinions because they are well aware that they can't run the country," the group said.

"They are not capable of solving problems. But they persist to stay to preserve their own power and interests amid the national calamity."

It urged people to come out and call on the junta to return their power, adding that Prayut had said: "Nobody asked [me]. I'm here on my own." It said the comment showed the premier had no legitimacy.

The group said: "There is no need for us to prove anything. We don’t have anyone behind us. If there is anyone, there is. But there isn’t."

The government vowed to take action against the people it said were behind the student group.

General Udomdej, who is also Army chief, said apart from the mastermind there were also supporters of the group.

He urged them to stop what they are doing. "If you direct them in the wrong direction, disturbing the country's peace and order, I warn you stop it. We have identified you all. Most people do not approve of your actions because they want the country to be peaceful."

He said he believed the anti-coup movement was still under control.

He said police officials thought it was necessary to take action against the Dao Din group, the name of some of the students arrested when they were initially detained on May 22, because they may have violated Articles 116 and 83 of the Criminal Code.

He said the charges pressed against the students were not "grave" but police must enforce the law to prevent the spread of movement.

Meanwhile, red-shirt leader Korkaew Pikulthong said although it was understandable that the government would want to suppress anti-coup activities to prevent the problem snowballing, the students had acted with honest intent

He urged the government to allow people with different opinions to express their views.

Korkaew said he had no idea what Prayut meant when he said a political group was behind the anti-coup group. He urged the government to substantiate the allegation with proof.

"If the PM has proof, please clearly identify who they are because people who are not involved may be perceived by society with suspicion. Do not generalise because it may spark something big," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Call-to-release-students-30263265.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-28

Over the years I've heard variations on the theme that the Thai govt doesn't want the people educated and my ex-gf, a uni graduate, fully subscribed to the idea.

This current issue is a pointer as to why the argument is advanced as here we have young students starting to think for themselves and not willing to be as compliant as their parents and grandparents which does not suit the junta or the elite they represent.

"It urged people to come out and call on the junta to return their power"

But if they don't, doesn't mean anything......In this day and age of Social Media, they are out...Just not in the traditional way. Just not in a way that plays into the hands of those maintaining coercive controls over their political opposites, including constitutions written by and for them. I wonder if they realize this.

The Social Media wires are humming, using the historical illustration of the telegraph.

Where will this lead?

We can expect some arrests and a claim of a network and plot. Basically seeking to distance this development from angelic students and onto those the anti-democrats prefer to vilify. There is a likelihood of "other" accusations and undefined threats to national security being levied on their favorite boogeymen..

But no-one will be fooled, other than those who want to be.

I notice this story is just listed along with many others, as run-of-the-mill.

I don't think it is.

Edited by Bannum opinions

These protesters should be very careful indeed. Since 1972 the Thai military have slaughtered at least 300 of their own citizens and this figure does not include those killed in the deep South. The Thai army has a history of killing Bangkok university students. The General is notoriously ill tempered so provoking him could well be very dangerous.

Media hype most likely. The protesters have broke the law by illegally gathering in a group larger than 5 people in public. This is why they are in jail awaiting trial not because of their views on democracy. The media have used the students to sell newspapers by hyping up the story. As for political groups being behind this, well if anyone knows how to manipulate the media, then politicians are experts at that.

Over the years I've heard variations on the theme that the Thai govt doesn't want the people educated and my ex-gf, a uni graduate, fully subscribed to the idea.

This current issue is a pointer as to why the argument is advanced as here we have young students starting to think for themselves and not willing to be as compliant as their parents and grandparents which does not suit the junta or the elite they represent.

I have no issue with people expressing their opinion I do have an issue with where they want to take it too next, we have all seen how things get out of hand here and how devious elements have a habit of getting involved and stirring up trouble, I think I am right in saying that nobody wants to see any sort of violent escalation onto the streets as happens here so easily and often, is the government being over cautious ? I don't know but I would assume they have more information that we are not hearing about and we may not be seeing the whole picture, it is a fact that there are people who would like nothing better than to stir up trouble pulling strings to mobilise with their filthy money

Whatever happened to all those happiness polls? Just 6 months ago, there were 1 or 2 a week. Now, silence.

It seems like the prevailing message has turned from:

- Most people like what we are doing

to

- You people better shut up and disperse

The PM would be well advised to dust off the road map, get his pseudo Generals back in the minivan, and press on the accelerator. It's time to finish this excellent adventure.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

I have no issue with people expressing their opinion I do have an issue with where they want to take it too next, we have all seen how things get out of hand here and how devious elements have a habit of getting involved and stirring up trouble, I think I am right in saying that nobody wants to see any sort of violent escalation onto the streets as happens here so easily and often, is the government being over cautious ? I don't know but I would assume they have more information that we are not hearing about and we may not be seeing the whole picture, it is a fact that there are people who would like nothing better than to stir up trouble pulling strings to mobilise with their filthy money

If there are people ready to pull the strings to provoke anarchy, destabilization of the current administration. Then the Generals have in fact failed in their claim to bring peace and happiness to the Kingdom.

There is more to it than pushing out the old government then sitting on their fat privileged butts telling everyone everything is under control. Will the powers of fair play come to be or will it be the same old?

"It urged people to come out and call on the junta to return their power"

But if they don't, doesn't mean anything......In this day and age of Social Media, they are out...Just not in the traditional way. Just not in a way that plays into the hands of those maintaining coercive controls over their political opposites, including constitutions written by and for them. I wonder if they realize this.

The Social Media wires are humming, using the historical illustration of the telegraph.

Where will this lead?

We can expect some arrests and a claim of a network and plot. Basically seeking to distance this development from angelic students and onto those the anti-democrats prefer to vilify. There is a likelihood of "other" accusations and undefined threats to national security being levied on their favorite boogeymen..

But no-one will be fooled, other than those who want to be.

I notice this story is just listed along with many others, as run-of-the-mill.

I don't think it is.

While many of us believe Thailand is very insulated from the outside world and to a degree it does remain that way but as Bannum points out social media has changed things, there is information gained from outside and networks share it all.

A Thai spring, we shall see.

Media hype most likely. The protesters have broke the law by illegally gathering in a group larger than 5 people in public. This is why they are in jail awaiting trial not because of their views on democracy. The media have used the students to sell newspapers by hyping up the story. As for political groups being behind this, well if anyone knows how to manipulate the media, then politicians are experts at that.

Not because of their views, but because of the "more than 5 people"- rule?!

Okay, you are either very, very dumb or you are pushing an agenda.

Other demonstrations have gone quiet unharmed, even with more than 14 people (the "honorable" monk Budhha Isara comes to mind).

So...he goes free and 14 students who are anti- coup get arrested and you say, there is no agenda behind this?

What is iy?

Dumb or purposefully ignorant?

Former Democrat MP calls on Prayut to use Article 44 to pardon students
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former Democrat MP Watchara Phetthong Sunday called on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to invoke Article 44 of the interim charter in his capacity of the National Council for Peace and Order chief to pardon 14 student activists over charges of violating rally ban.

Watchara said he believes the students demonstrated out of their sincere belief that they did a right thing for the country without malicious intention.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Former-Democrat-MP-calls-on-Prayut-to-use-Article--30263291.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-28

Former Democrat MP calls on Prayut to use Article 44 to pardon students

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former Democrat MP Watchara Phetthong Sunday called on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to invoke Article 44 of the interim charter in his capacity of the National Council for Peace and Order chief to pardon 14 student activists over charges of violating rally ban.

Watchara said he believes the students demonstrated out of their sincere belief that they did a right thing for the country without malicious intention.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Former-Democrat-MP-calls-on-Prayut-to-use-Article--30263291.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-06-28

And in their defense they could easily bring to attention that the daily speech of the 'good general" can cause huge psychological problems.

There might be a national council, but neither peace, nor order.

Not because of their views, but because of the "more than 5 people"- rule?!

Okay, you are either very, very dumb or you are pushing an agenda.

Other demonstrations have gone quiet unharmed, even with more than 14 people (the "honorable" monk Budhha Isara comes to mind).

So...he goes free and 14 students who are anti- coup get arrested and you say, there is no agenda behind this?

What is iy?

Dumb or purposefully ignorant?

Just a few days ago Labour groups marched on government house protesting for the wage increase. No arrests there and that was def political in my book.

These students directly oppose the junta and get thrown in jail. If the government have proof of an invisible hand then why not call them out?

Or is it just young people that thanks to things like social media and the internet, refuse to be subservient to entitled dinosaurs.

If there are people ready to pull the strings to provoke anarchy, destabilization of the current administration. Then the Generals have in fact failed in their claim to bring peace and happiness to the Kingdom.

There is more to it than pushing out the old government then sitting on their fat privileged butts telling everyone everything is under control. Will the powers of fair play come to be or will it be the same old?

although you have a point, right now we are only talking about less than a 100 people, unfortunately if given the freedom to act that could easily escalate into thousands with one incident - seen it happen and been involved, if their intentions are peaceful then I have no problem with them, if there intentions are to escalate then I do have a problem with it, like I said if they just want to have an opinion then they have made it already and they are entitled to do so, if they are trying to stir something up then they need to be stopped from doing so

And they acted all shocked and hurt by the US's critical report and their Human Rights record. I think the Mask will come off soon and Thailand is in for some serious oppression

Edited by ExPratt

What this government is too stupid to see is the very thing they say they are trying to prevent, will be brought on by what they are doing...surppressing freedom of expression and arresting a peaceful group of students.

Suharto, a self-appointed president and dictator of Indonesia for many years, believed in keeping the population ignorant. I believe it was a theory of Chairman Mao.

I was amazed that students were not taught recent history of Indonesia, and special films were made for compulsory screening at schools, covering up the fact that a 4-year revolution took place from 1945 to December 1949.

I hope the US government says a bit more concerning recent events here.

These protesters should be very careful indeed. Since 1972 the Thai military have slaughtered at least 300 of their own citizens and this figure does not include those killed in the deep South. The Thai army has a history of killing Bangkok university students. The General is notoriously ill tempered so provoking him could well be very dangerous.

The PM has gotten to you, eh? Better tuck your tail between your legs and hide your opinions obediently.

Edited by arrowsdawdle

What difference does it make whether anybody is behind the students? The students could say the same about general PM because he is only in power due to the factions he represents.

The coup was "pre-approved". That says it all regarding "supporters".