Camronwit's gun found to be unregistered

Lite Beer

I don't think you are being rude at all. Since you didn't read the rest of the posts, you don't know how many times I've been challenged on this, you also wouldn't know how tedious it is becoming but, just for you, I will, once again, repeat my explanation of why I posted what I did.

At first I thought the same as you but I wanted to be sure as most people just say 'numbers', when they refer to the numbering system used by the West, and not add the word 'Arabic'. That raised a question in my mind so, I went to Bing Images and typed in 'Arabic numbers' and this is what I got: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Arabic+numbers&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBILPG&pq=arabic+numbers&sc=8-14&sp=-1&sk=

The OP said: A highly placed source in Japan said the gun had only Arabic numbers and English letters... This made me ask myself why the Japanese source would distinguish between Arabic numbers and English letters. Why would't he simply say English numbers and English letters or, simply, numbers and letters and then we could all assume he meant traditional Western numbers and letters? To my thinking, he was obviously making a distinction on the type of numbers that were imprinted on the frame as a serial number.

As I've said repeatedly, the trial will bring out all evidence and we will see photos of the actual gun and I will, for sure, be proven correct or incorrect. I'm wondering why this is so important to so many posters that I have had to address this more than a dozen times on this one thread. I welcome you to interpret the OP in any way you wish and I will interpret to OP any way I wish, as is my right. If my explanation is not good enough for you, I am sorry but it's the same reply I gave the first person who challenged my veracity/viewpoint and it's the best I'm going to attempt for now.

We know why you use bing, it is the only search engine to give you a result you like. But if you search for "English numbers" you don't get 1,2,3,4.....you get one, two three, four........... That is, how to spell Arabic numbers in English.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like trying to teach a pig to whistle. I'm just wasting my time.................

I don't suppose there is any need to ask if you've had any luck with any record of a US arms manufacturer stamping serial numbers in other than westernised arabic numerals?

Just out of curiosity, what motivates a person to try to teach a pig to whistle?

Buggered if I know, that's why I gave up.

BTW that saying has another line, but I didn't want to appear rude.

I've never thought of you as rude so don't change now. No hard feelings, I hope. We just have differing opinions. Most times I agree with your posts and don't enjoy getting into a pointless debate with you. My responses to you should not be seen as challenges to your own point of view but maybe to offer an alternative viewpoint. When someone responds to one of my posts, unless they are trolling, I feel they deserve a response. (there are some posters who are obviously just baiting me and to those I don't respond) Cheers!

Yes, I know that I am hard-headed/stubborn. My mia noi tells me all the time. She knows that she's a nag. Nobody's perfect. smile.png

What is the most likely way for a senior Thai police officer to come into possession of an unregistered firearm? As a gift from a less senior officer, after it was taken from someone caught in illegal possession. Might of worked its way up a chain of brown-nosers, all the way to the top.

I think some of you are taking this Arab numeral thing too far.

I suspect the Japanese police were merely try to explain that the gun had western style numerals as against Japanese,Chinese or Thai which are much different.

At least we know it has identification so it can be traced in part from the USA manufacturer to the initial purchaser or exporter.

What is the most likely way for a senior Thai police officer to come into possession of an unregistered firearm? As a gift from a less senior officer, after it was taken from someone caught in illegal possession. Might of worked its way up a chain of brown-nosers, all the way to the top.

Oh C'mon. That's no fun. Wouldn't you rather explore a Thaksin link?

I don't think you are being rude at all. Since you didn't read the rest of the posts, you don't know how many times I've been challenged on this, you also wouldn't know how tedious it is becoming but, just for you, I will, once again, repeat my explanation of why I posted what I did.

At first I thought the same as you but I wanted to be sure as most people just say 'numbers', when they refer to the numbering system used by the West, and not add the word 'Arabic'. That raised a question in my mind so, I went to Bing Images and typed in 'Arabic numbers' and this is what I got: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Arabic+numbers&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBILPG&pq=arabic+numbers&sc=8-14&sp=-1&sk=

The OP said: A highly placed source in Japan said the gun had only Arabic numbers and English letters... This made me ask myself why the Japanese source would distinguish between Arabic numbers and English letters. Why would't he simply say English numbers and English letters or, simply, numbers and letters and then we could all assume he meant traditional Western numbers and letters? To my thinking, he was obviously making a distinction on the type of numbers that were imprinted on the frame as a serial number.

As I've said repeatedly, the trial will bring out all evidence and we will see photos of the actual gun and I will, for sure, be proven correct or incorrect. I'm wondering why this is so important to so many posters that I have had to address this more than a dozen times on this one thread. I welcome you to interpret the OP in any way you wish and I will interpret to OP any way I wish, as is my right. If my explanation is not good enough for you, I am sorry but it's the same reply I gave the first person who challenged my veracity/viewpoint and it's the best I'm going to attempt for now.

As I said before. Oh my god. So many uneducated people post here.

There is no such thing as English numbers.

In England, we use roman numerals (I, II, III, IV, V...) and Arabic numerals (1,2,3,4,5). We don't have any English numerals!

Trust me, I am English. And educated. Americans use Arabic numerals too, they just don't know it on the whole.

Are you American, perhaps?

In England, we use roman numerals (I, II, III, IV, V...) and Arabic numerals (1,2,3,4,5). We don't have any English numerals!

Trust me, I am English. And educated. Americans use Arabic numerals too, they just don't know it on the whole.

If you're looking for an argument, you will have to look somewhere else as I'm done with this topic. Bye, now.

Edited by rametindallas

the only reason he was carrying a loaded untraceable gun was because he wanted to use it without being traced back. they say the vast majority of guns for hire in Thailand are ex cops.

Well, to be sure, the .22 is the choice of professional killers worldwide. Less noise, and it spins around the inside of the skull like a roulette ball.

What I'm not sure about is whether "Nitwit" is truly stupid, or just amazingly arrogant.

Either way, lock him up and throw away the key.

If you're looking for an argument, you will have to look somewhere else as I'm done with this topic. Bye, now.

No argument. Just fact. Bye bye....

Oh my God, it never ceases to amaze me how many uneducated people post on this site..... Arabic numerals.... 1,2,3,4 and so on. This is common knowledge. The "arabic" numerals were put on the gun by the American manufacturer. Oh derrr....

As to whether he got the gun in Thailand or Japan. Let me ask this. Where are you most likely to be able to lay your hands on an unregistered weapon. Thailand or Japan?

Ever considered that someone who lives in an Arabic country, and who owns a private yet and has been in Japan not so long ago, might have deposited the gun for Camronwit to pick it up and transport to Thailand?

You are missing the point, I am afraid.

There is NO connection to Arabia.

There are just English letters (A, B, C) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4) on the gun. Both put there by the American manufacturer.

I repeat, there is no link to Arabia beyond their advance in mathematics a thousand years ago or so......

just google "Arabic numerals" and all will become clear....

the only reason he was carrying a loaded untraceable gun was because he wanted to use it without being traced back. they say the vast majority of guns for hire in Thailand are ex cops.

Well, to be sure, the .22 is the choice of professional killers worldwide. Less noise, and it spins around the inside of the skull like a roulette ball.

What I'm not sure about is whether "Nitwit" is truly stupid, or just amazingly arrogant.

Either way, lock him up and throw away the key.

Whenever I read about professional killers it makes we wonder what the amateur ones are like.

I guess this guy was a bit amateur to end up inside a cell for a week.

What is all the hoopla about whether the gun was registered? That would be a Thai issue and a secondary issue ie possessing an unregistered/unreported gun. The alleged crime is carrying a loaded gun into the passenger cabin of a passenger plane. Extremely serious offense in today's climate.

The last article showed a pic of the gun which was a derringer sized, one shot 22 pistol. Easy to miss in an X-ray scan. How did this change to a full size 5 shot pistol?

Are the conspiracy theorists and spin doctors just having a binge?...

Really.

So having an unregistered and therefore illegal weapon in your possession, lying to the police (apparently) that it was registered in your own country and not being able to produce documentary evidence won't be of interest to the Japanese police, IYO. They will just charge him with attempting to carry it on a plane. You reckon? Hope you're not a lawyer.

The alleged crime(s) will be what the prosecutors decide to charge him with. Of course they may decide the gun was carried in from Thailand, is registered to him there, and it was all a mistake. He forgot he put it in his bag, forgot he shouldn't take it on a plane, take it to another country, bring it back on a plane, carry it loaded and forgot where he put all the documentation. Easy mistakes when you're forgetful.

It's a 5 shot .22 caliber derringer revolver. Hardly the key chain toy one top Thai copy tried to pass it off as. Plenty of information on this thread about the type of gun. And no, not easy to miss if security are doing their job right.

No, I'm not a lawyer and would probably be a lousy one anyway.

However, the unregistered gun is a crime in Thailand not Japan unless Japan has a law requiring a gun be registered in a person's home country before being allowed in which it probably does have. But, of course, it was sneaked in. Seems a bit odd that there would also be a law requiring smuggled weapons be registered. Anyway, seems to me the more significant crime is the smuggling. I fail to see how it's registration status has any real bearing on that. But, that crime pales beside the crime of bringing it aboard the plane.

Now I didn't say the registration would not "be of interest to the Japanese police" which it would but I suspect goes more to understanding motive than a crime. And as we know, understanding motive is often relevant to weighing the seriousness and intent of the crime. But, obviously I don't know Japanese laws in this respect.

I stand corrected re: the 5 shot derringer. Thought I had read single shot. But still rather surprised that such a tiny gun can hold that. However, I still believe it's small size can be easily missed by security, not an excuse just a reality in an overwhelmed system...No comment re: incompetence other than the Japanese caught it, the Thais did not...it's statistically based and a deterrence system not foolproof....ha, well, I guess I commented anyway...

Huh? The unregistered gun is a crime in Japan AND Thailand. Unless its legal to have an unlicensed gun in Japan.

And yes, I think u would make a lousy lawyer.

Ok, let me try again…

Of course an "unregistered gun is a crime in Japan AND Thailand"…duh, obvious.

But it is not a crime to own an unregistered "Thai" gun (in Japan) until the gun is brought into Japan without being declared…duh, obvious.

The fact that it is unregistered (in Thailand) is of less significance if any, than the fact that it was smuggled in…duh, obvious.

Is it a separate crime that a smuggled gun is also unregistered (in another country)? Maybe but odd…

Again, it is the smuggling the gun into Japan and the attempt to carry a loaded gun on-board a plane that seem to be the relevant crimes…

Edited by arend

It’s an inexpensive small .22 cal short barrel pistol made in the USA. The 1968 Federal Firearms Act requires a serial number. Hence the letters and westernized arabic numerals. It’s about as powerful at very short range as an Olympic (subsonic) pellet rifle is at 100-150 yds. It’s not the choice of professional hit men. In the US it’s the gun of choice of an elderly grand mother . Some one likely gave it to him as a gift or he took it from a confiscated gun collection at his station in the past. There are many instances of honest individuals in the US of forgetting they left a gun in their luggage as they go through airport security. He may have went as a VIP. No security check. Then he goes through a security check in Japan and is arrested. It doesn’t make sense to me that a high ranking policeman or any one would try to take a gun into Japan.

The Emperor’s have controlled weapon’s for centuries including no swords for the average subject or citizen. Every one knows this. Why not a simple mistake. As for an

unregistered gun that’s a Thai issue. Unregistered guns had a role in WWII resistance and most in the US are not registered legally. We don’t register our guns because we have unique freedoms . I think it was a simple mistake that is now really serious.

No argument. Just fact. Bye bye....

US Berettas?

Nice try. That was an Egyptian made one. Same as the AK posted earlier. Please find a factory that makes the weapon allegedly found in the carry on that is located in an Arab country.

Your equviocating that it is a US produced weapon is quickly disproven by visiting the page the picture comes from.

And please explain why if it's manufactured in an Arab country (or destined for an Arab country) it would have a mix of English letters (or Roman if you prefer) and EAST Arabic numbers.

**edit add link to show it was Egyptian**

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?347942-Beretta-951-Egyptian-captured-by-Israel

Edited by dave_boo

What is all the hoopla about whether the gun was registered? That would be a Thai issue and a secondary issue ie possessing an unregistered/unreported gun. The alleged crime is carrying a loaded gun into the passenger cabin of a passenger plane. Extremely serious offense in today's climate.

The last article showed a pic of the gun which was a derringer sized, one shot 22 pistol. Easy to miss in an X-ray scan. How did this change to a full size 5 shot pistol?

Are the conspiracy theorists and spin doctors just having a binge?...

Really.

So having an unregistered and therefore illegal weapon in your possession, lying to the police (apparently) that it was registered in your own country and not being able to produce documentary evidence won't be of interest to the Japanese police, IYO. They will just charge him with attempting to carry it on a plane. You reckon? Hope you're not a lawyer.

The alleged crime(s) will be what the prosecutors decide to charge him with. Of course they may decide the gun was carried in from Thailand, is registered to him there, and it was all a mistake. He forgot he put it in his bag, forgot he shouldn't take it on a plane, take it to another country, bring it back on a plane, carry it loaded and forgot where he put all the documentation. Easy mistakes when you're forgetful.

It's a 5 shot .22 caliber derringer revolver. Hardly the key chain toy one top Thai copy tried to pass it off as. Plenty of information on this thread about the type of gun. And no, not easy to miss if security are doing their job right.

No, I'm not a lawyer and would probably be a lousy one anyway.

However, the unregistered gun is a crime in Thailand not Japan unless Japan has a law requiring a gun be registered in a person's home country before being allowed in which it probably does have. But, of course, it was sneaked in. Seems a bit odd that there would also be a law requiring smuggled weapons be registered. Anyway, seems to me the more significant crime is the smuggling. I fail to see how it's registration status has any real bearing on that. But, that crime pales beside the crime of bringing it aboard the plane.

Now I didn't say the registration would not "be of interest to the Japanese police" which it would but I suspect goes more to understanding motive than a crime. And as we know, understanding motive is often relevant to weighing the seriousness and intent of the crime. But, obviously I don't know Japanese laws in this respect.

I stand corrected re: the 5 shot derringer. Thought I had read single shot. But still rather surprised that such a tiny gun can hold that. However, I still believe it's small size can be easily missed by security, not an excuse just a reality in an overwhelmed system...No comment re: incompetence other than the Japanese caught it, the Thais did not...it's statistically based and a deterrence system not foolproof....ha, well, I guess I commented anyway...

Huh? The unregistered gun is a crime in Japan AND Thailand. Unless its legal to have an unlicensed gun in Japan.

And yes, I think u would make a lousy lawyer.

Ok, let me try again…

Of course an "unregistered gun is a crime in Japan AND Thailand"…duh, obvious.

But it is not a crime to own an unregistered "Thai" gun (in Japan) until the gun is brought into Japan without being declared…duh, obvious.

The fact that it is unregistered (in Thailand) is of less significance if any, than the fact that it was smuggled in…duh, obvious.

Is it a separate crime that a smuggled gun is also unregistered (in another country)? Maybe but odd…

Again, it is the smuggling the gun into Japan and the attempt to carry a loaded gun on-board a plane that seem to be the relevant crimes…

How does one legally own an unregistered Thai gun in Japan. Guns don't have nationalities. Having a gun without a Japanese license is illegal in Japan without permission such as that granted to overseas body guards andnsuch.

It doesn't matter if the gun is from Timbuktu, if you haven't got a Japanese license for it, you can't have it in Japan....

-snip-

1. do firearms in Thailand bear a Thai registration number physically on the firearm ?

Yes they do. They stamped mine with the registration number when I registered it.

FWIW I've never seen an American gun in Thailand with any Thai on it. It had the manufacturer's markings in English and USA (arabic) numbers and nothing else until its registration number (arabic) was put there. In fact I've never seen a gun in Thailand with any Thai on it at all.

Cheers

I don't wish to be too rude and probably I should read the rest of the posts before I write this. But you must know an eclectic selection of Dumbo's.

Almost every body in the world knows that 1,2,3,4, etc are always known as Arabic numerals. As apposed to Roman Numerals, Thai/Chinese/Japanes/Korean/etc characters.

Also, the chances of this well known but small American gun manufacturer producing pistols with real Arabic numerals (which would be known a Arabic numeric characters) as used in Arabish Chat languages must be very close to less than zero.

The vast majority of people who read this post simply understood that the gun had serial numbers and who cares. He was trying to carry a loaded gun onto a

plane. No excuses at all for that. Put him away for lots of years (say 10, or X, or IV or better yet haha)

NB if it was an AK it would stand a good chance of having Cyrillic characters stamped on the receiver, But it wernt.

"NB if it was an AK it would stand a good chance of having Cyrillic characters stamped on the receiver, But it wernt."

Not if it was a Kalashnikov AK made in Pennsylvania, USA. Kalashnikov is the name of the Russian guy who originally designed the gun. Link

Most AK's we know about are made in Russia and E. Europe - what we call com block countries.

The OP gun is no doubt an American manufactured gun with English and our common numbers on it.

Edited by NeverSure

No mention of the purpose of his trip.

Yes there was. he was in a group of 80 going to see an industrial waste plant.

Hmmm...unlicenced .22 pistol (an assassin's favourite) industrial waste plant. where waste is burnt as fuel to produce energy.

Maybe a bit of stretch but...........wouldn't it be a great place to get rid of a body?

Might have to start writing a novel...or documentary

Oh my God, it never ceases to amaze me how many uneducated people post on this site..... Arabic numerals.... 1,2,3,4 and so on. This is common knowledge. The "arabic" numerals were put on the gun by the American manufacturer. Oh derrr....

As to whether he got the gun in Thailand or Japan. Let me ask this. Where are you most likely to be able to lay your hands on an unregistered weapon. Thailand or Japan?

Ever considered that someone who lives in an Arabic country, and who owns a private yet and has been in Japan not so long ago, might have deposited the gun for Camronwit to pick it up and transport to Thailand?

blink.png ….

cheesy.gif

"I think it was a simple mistake that is now really serious".

If only a simple mistake, his story would not change so often...son bringing documents, forgot, blah blah blah. The trouble with lying once, is that the myriad of lies you need to tell to cover the first come back and bite you on the bum. At the end of the day, he took a loaded firearm into an airport and was trying to board a plane with it. Regardless.

Also even if it had been in hold luggage, there is no mention of the customs paperwork required to move a firearm internationally, which is an offense in itself. This guy appears to have broken many laws and should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law possible.

" It’s about as powerful at very short range as an Olympic (subsonic) pellet rifle is at 100-150 yds."

While you are correct, pistols are generally used for close quartered combat and executions. Read into that what you will, but...

Edited by ubonjoe
A off topic and inflammatory image has been removed

ALLEGEDLY several crimes have been committed - no registration, carrying in the air and on the ground in

at least 2 countries an illegal weapon, possibly lying to authorities and, Airport officials. He may be

eligible for " Commander " of UPI - Unassigned Post Island !

gun the former Metropolitan Police commissioner Camronwit Toopkrajank had allegedly taken from Thailand

TAKEN FROM THAILAND. So much for the security checks at Swampy. Wheels were probably greased and heads paid to look away.

-snip-

1. do firearms in Thailand bear a Thai registration number physically on the firearm ?

Yes they do. They stamped mine with the registration number when I registered it.

FWIW I've never seen an American gun in Thailand with any Thai on it. It had the manufacturer's markings in English and USA (arabic) numbers and nothing else until its registration number (arabic) was put there. In fact I've never seen a gun in Thailand with any Thai on it at all.

Cheers

I am confused now, there are posts from two other members who have looked at their firearms they have legally registered in Thailand and have stated there are no Thai registration numbers stamped on anything, further you don't live in Thailand...

and you have written two comments above which appear to contradict each other, legally registered firearms in Thailand, irrespective of where or who manufacturer's them they are either hard stamped or they are not, cant have both as it kinda defeats the object of hard stamping things for registration purposes

so make your mind up

You are missing the point, I am afraid.

There is NO connection to Arabia.

There are just English letters (A, B, C) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4) on the gun. Both put there by the American manufacturer.

I repeat, there is no link to Arabia beyond their advance in mathematics a thousand years ago or so......

just google "Arabic numerals" and all will become clear....

I think YOU miss the point.

The OP refused to identify which country the gun was sold, so there is still a link to ANY COUNTRY possible.