Good Bye TV members

vagabond48

After living almost 9 years in Chiang Mai, we decided with mixed feelings to return to the US.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank many of the TV members, who, through the years, brought laughter, entertainment and provided great advice.

Perhaps, I will return to Chiang Mai every so often to see the natural beauty and enjoy the wonderful culture I have grown fond of.

So, I leave you with this song from the Sound of Music,

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Vagabond

If I ever said anything to offend you, it was purely intentional.smile.png

Good luck in your new venture; but going the other way???????

Sorry but if I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong

Safe travels bud.thumbsup.gif

Feel sad for you. I know what I would feel like if I was to find it necessary to return......

But don't be down about it as far as the forum goes....... I hear that they now have internet in the US and with all the political correctness going on, you can still post from there and feel that you are still here....

Where to, back in the states ???? Have a safe journey and let us hear from you.

Gonzo

For many retirees such as myself, without a wife and young family, the idea of having to return to life in the USA as an old person is pretty dismal.

However, I can see how expats who have families here in Thailand face really hard choices when they consider their children's future. Unless hey have the considerable resources it takes to pay the huge tuitions of the few truly competent International Schools, they must accept the reality that their kids will suffer lifelong consequences from the totally inadequate educational opportunities available here.

I don't just mean "the three R's". The entire passive, Confucian system inculcated here, of accepting what you are told without challenge, to never question authority and to pay undue respect to tradition stifles dynamic and original thinking. Ambition is viewed as a negative trait as is individuality.

Kids reared in the educational system here face the real risk of being trapped here, despite having Western passports simply because they will lack the personal skills; not to mention linguistic skills it takes to forge any kind of successful career in the competitive Western environment.

For many parents, the only means to decent education for their kids is to return to their home countries. I can understand it being a wrenching decision, especially if one parent is Thai. It is probably very difficult for the kids as well who have to make huge adjustments to life in countries that may be openly hostile to anybody viewed as an immigrant.

Tough, tough choices I feel lucky not to have to face.

Dave in many cases it's the Thai Wife's bloody feckless Kids that makes many of us ask Why stay here. I sent hers to bording school, but they still get on my nerves 20 years late.No Work Ethic pisses me off bigtime

Yup; that too.

No wife, no live-in girl friend, occasional guests when I so desire= contentment.

Bon Voyage, Vagabond!!!

Every part of life is a new adventure, and it's good to shake things up now and again for a fresh and different perspective -- just like some of us did when we made the original decision to move from the U.S. to Thailand.

After living here for a lot of years, I'd imagine moving back would certainly take some getting used to.

I mentioned this anecdote before here... But last Christmas, I went back to visit with my remaining family, and rented a car upon arrival. The rental car guy handed me a key fob with the buttons for locking and unlocking the doors, but no ignition key. So I was fumbling around for a bit, thinking maybe he'd left the ignition key in the car separately, or under the visor, or something like that... And after rooting around, couldn't find anything.

So a bit sheepishly, I called the rental guy back over and said, "Hey, where's the ignition key?" And his answer was, "It doesn't need a key. You just get in and turn the starter, and that's all!" Wow... I felt pretty embarrassed. That's what happens when you have forsaken driving pretty much and only been taking BTS, MRT and taxis for the past XX years. smile.png

Why do you think Thailand has gone to <...> in the past 5 -10 years. Just curious. It seems to me it's in the eyes of the beholder.

As for your tag line - some people think Pattaya is Paradise in Hell. Outside of BK it must have the largest numbers of expats in Thailand.

Why TV members ask questions. He said his goodbyes.

VERY SMART MAN, because for the past 5-10 years this country has gone to ........ <it will be deleted>

2 days ago a very good friend of a lot of ferlung up here in the far north went back to Melbourne Aus. He had all the good reasons for going back so if you read this Clayton you are missed already. He was looking forward to going back too. If I had to go back to England I think suicide would be a better option. I love it here.