Good Bye TV members

vagabond48

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave in many cases it's the Thai Wife's bloody feckless Kids that makes many of us ask Why stay here. I sent hers to bording school, but they still get on my nerves 20 years late.No Work Ethic pisses me off bigtime

Yup; that too.

No wife, no live-in girl friend, occasional guests when I so desire= contentment.

Certainly, don't enter into a relationship with baggage

Safe journey and may you and all the family have a happy and prosperous new life.....God Bless.

Who's god?

Fink it's only one, well, there can be only one or shit will happen.............Drat....coffee1.gif

Ganesh?

I've enjoyed and have respected you comments over the years. After 8 years here, I'm contemplating doing the same, perhaps for different reasons, or perhaps for similar reasons.

The Internet makes the world so much smaller: Do keep in touch and let us know how the transition back to The Homeland goes.

In all sincerity, the best of luck!

Safe journey and may you and all the family have a happy and prosperous new life.....God Bless.

Who's god?

The omniscient God - TSA. See if they 'chat you up' on your return. They did me on my last visit. I could have sworn the two TSA guys were my best friends from High School the way way they talked. ha ha ha It is what it is. Lol.

Edited by connda

Dave in many cases it's the Thai Wife's bloody feckless Kids that makes many of us ask Why stay here. I sent hers to bording school, but they still get on my nerves 20 years late.No Work Ethic pisses me off bigtime

Hells Bells, I must have got lucky.

My step son spent his life up until the age of 20, playing computer games, watching TV, and hanging out with friends.

In one year, the kid ordained as a monk, spent close to a year in the military, married one heck of a great Thai gal, and they both have solid work ethics. Just starting off life and they both have good jobs, my son has receive very quick promotions, and I see a young Thai couple perhaps destined to some success of their own making.

This is one of the few thing is life that I'm really proud of - my Thai son and his equally wonderful wife.

So sadly very true. The boarding school was a waste of money. If it had been Prem it would have been a waste of money. If you don't want to learn and don't go to school, what chance is there. Wagging from a boarding school was not a bad effort. No almost 16, unemployable, he breaks his mothers heart.

I left Thailand last year and not back to the US which is where I was born... now living in Cambodia and very happily I might add. Doesn't have quite all of the amenities, but makes up for it in the lack of utter b.s. that living in Thailand had dumped on me. Have been back a few times for a visit and by god I sure don't miss it.

Good move Vagabond and good luck over there... you're going to need it.

Hermann Hesse: Steps

Like ev'ry flower wilts, like youth is fading
and turns to age, so also one's achieving:
Each virtue and each wisdom needs parading
in one's own time, and must not last forever.
The heart must be, at each new call for leaving,
prepared to part and start without the tragic,
without the grief - with courage to endeavor
a novel bond, a disparate connection:
for each beginning bears a special magic
that nurtures living and bestows protection.

We'll walk from space to space in glad progression
and should not cling to one as homestead for us.
The cosmic spirit will not bind nor bore us;
it lifts and widens us in ev'ry session:
for hardly set in one of life's expanses
we make it home, and apathy commences.
But only he, who travels and takes chances,
can break the habits' paralyzing stances.

It might be, even, that the last of hours
will make us once again a youthful lover:
The call of life to us forever flowers...
Anon, my heart: Say farewell and recover!

Bon Voyage, Vagabond!!!

Every part of life is a new adventure, and it's good to shake things up now and again for a fresh and different perspective -- just like some of us did when we made the original decision to move from the U.S. to Thailand.

After living here for a lot of years, I'd imagine moving back would certainly take some getting used to.

I mentioned this anecdote before here... But last Christmas, I went back to visit with my remaining family, and rented a car upon arrival. The rental car guy handed me a key fob with the buttons for locking and unlocking the doors, but no ignition key. So I was fumbling around for a bit, thinking maybe he'd left the ignition key in the car separately, or under the visor, or something like that... And after rooting around, couldn't find anything.

So a bit sheepishly, I called the rental guy back over and said, "Hey, where's the ignition key?" And his answer was, "It doesn't need a key. You just get in and turn the starter, and that's all!" Wow... I felt pretty embarrassed. That's what happens when you have forsaken driving pretty much and only been taking BTS, MRT and taxis for the past XX years. smile.png

I went back in1996. Haven't been back since and don't get the urge to. Whilst there I rented a car. Got half way across London and had to stop at a care hire shop to get them to turn my intermittent windscreen wipers off.gigglem.gif Good luck to you and the family, Sunshine!

Interesting topic as I have just returned to the US myself after 8 years in Issan. Strange as I though I would have reverse culture shock, but that hasn't been the case so far. We've only been here 3 days, but it feels as though I never left?!

Being here in on the east coast of Florida is still much like issan just more muggy. It's a hell of a lot cleaner here and technology seems to have crept into everyday life. Seems there is an "app" for everything here. Walking into fast food places I see you can order from your cell phone then pick it up. One thing I really liked was going to a hardware store to ask a question about what paint I need to repaint our condo and the lady was knowledgeable and very helpful unlike what I experienced back in LOS.

One thing we won't miss in LOS is the godforsaken Teachers Counsel and their never ending incompetence. I enjoyed my time teaching there, but never again. My wife has the 5 year licence, but I hate the way the Filipino teachers are treated there so she will be applying here in Florida. At least here she has many more opportunities than in either the Philippines or Thailand. I will return to our family furniture business.

As life restarts for me and my wife here I wonder what else is in store for us?

That`s one less in the queue at Immigration.

Make that four less in the queue as I was on the same plane to Chicago as vagabond, and ran into two other folks headed back to the USA, with one lady leaving after 29 years. Seems to be a lot of folks headed back to their roots at the moment, me included. I spent 9 wonderful years in Thailand but figured I had done everything there is to do there with a lot more adventure and better living back home.

Good luck to you vagabond!

For many retirees such as myself, without a wife and young family, the idea of having to return to life in the USA as an old person is pretty dismal.

However, I can see how expats who have families here in Thailand face really hard choices when they consider their children's future. Unless hey have the considerable resources it takes to pay the huge tuitions of the few truly competent International Schools, they must accept the reality that their kids will suffer lifelong consequences from the totally inadequate educational opportunities available here.

I don't just mean "the three R's". The entire passive, Confucian system inculcated here, of accepting what you are told without challenge, to never question authority and to pay undue respect to tradition stifles dynamic and original thinking. Ambition is viewed as a negative trait as is individuality.

Kids reared in the educational system here face the real risk of being trapped here, despite having Western passports simply because they will lack the personal skills; not to mention linguistic skills it takes to forge any kind of successful career in the competitive Western environment.

For many parents, the only means to decent education for their kids is to return to their home countries. I can understand it being a wrenching decision, especially if one parent is Thai. It is probably very difficult for the kids as well who have to make huge adjustments to life in countries that may be openly hostile to anybody viewed as an immigrant.

Tough, tough choices I feel lucky not to have to face.

So you think it is better to have kids in a USA school where they learn get indoctrinated that Christian white folk and wealth are bad and that minorities and gender-confused people deserve special concessions ensured by big government?

I was waiting for the nearly inevitable "don't let the door hit you on the way out" comment but thankfully it hasn't yet materialized.

Good luck to the OP before, during, and after the move back home. Seems a lot of folks are bailing out of Thailand lately.

I'm headed for Mexico in a few months. They tell me the internet works over there, too, and I can still have shouting matches pleasant conversations with TV members. wai2.gif

Travel safely!

If you have lived in Mexico previously, speak the language, and have a clear understanding of the importance of alliances, Mexico can be most pleasant, but as a retired person with no political allies you are a sitting duck for kidnap and ransom. So, never show wealth, and position yourself within a resort community and stay off the local economy unless accompanied by locals you know and trust. That smiling guy that brings you your coffee every morning in a local out of the way breakfast joint may be the one to engineer your fate against your will.

I was waiting for the nearly inevitable "don't let the door hit you on the way out" comment but thankfully it hasn't yet materialized.

Good luck to the OP before, during, and after the move back home. Seems a lot of folks are bailing out of Thailand lately.

Is it any wonder? Being in a first world environment where you are sensitive to the nuances and are not the subject of institutionalized xenophobia is worth the relaxation alone.

All the best mate,hope its good for you,i can hear south america calling after 9 years here,7 years of marriage the wifes gone back to her thai values [whatever they might be] this place has turned pear shaped, lack of education is the real killer;and when Asean starts i can only see it getting worse,all the best

So sadly very true. The boarding school was a waste of money. If it had been Prem it would have been a waste of money. If you don't want to learn and don't go to school, what chance is there. Wagging from a boarding school was not a bad effort. No almost 16, unemployable, he breaks his mothers heart.

The kids are a killer mate paid for 2 for 7 years and there both as dumb as dogxxxx, breaks my heart but time to move on. Untill these people take education seriously there really is no hope for this country, give it 10 years maybe less the laughing stock of Asia

I'm headed for Mexico in a few months. They tell me the internet works over there, too, and I can still have shouting matches pleasant conversations with TV members. wai2.gif

Travel safely!

If you have lived in Mexico previously, speak the language, and have a clear understanding of the importance of alliances, Mexico can be most pleasant, but as a retired person with no political allies you are a sitting duck for kidnap and ransom. So, never show wealth, and position yourself within a resort community and stay off the local economy unless accompanied by locals you know and trust. That smiling guy that brings you your coffee every morning in a local out of the way breakfast joint may be the one to engineer your fate against your will.

Hmmm... and this bit of "knowledge" comes from...?

Typical delusions/paranoia that sadly taint the lives of so many who prefer to build walls around themselves to create a false sense of security. I heard the same thing from countless people when I first moved to Thailand from Los Angeles.

I'm happy to report that I have at least four friends who've made the move to all different parts of Mexico and Costa Rica with none of the aforementioned gloom and doom "consequences".

Good for you Quandow! I'm sure you'll do fine and wishing you a great new adventure in life!

Hey Buddy .....

Good Luck with the Thai Wife in the USA.

We Just Celebrated our 3-Month USA Anniversary. My 48-yr old Thai wife came with me via a K1 Fiancee' VISA and we married shortly after arriving on Maui, Hawaii. She's a highly educated professional day trader on the SET, but she still has been amazed about the USA.

+ She still can't quite seem to get over the concept of a fast food "drive thru". She wants to go through it, but not buy anything.

+ She pretty much is in a daze when we go to Costco.

+ The produce department sends her into "Awe" status. The freshness, quality and price.

+ She still goes to the "wrong" side of my USA car.

+ She saw her first can opener two weeks ago.

+ She utterly is confused as to why someone would have an electric can opener, when the manual one is so much better than what she has.

+ She is obsessed with our large oranges (fruit).

+ She loves our clean air and water, and is often afraid to drink from the faucet. Just a habit.

+ She thinks USA people are fat and talk too fast.

I could go on-and-on.

But here's the most important thing: I believe Thai people lack Basic Social Skills. I have had to teach her to say "Hello" "Good Bye" "Nice To Meet You", "Good To See You Again", "Excuse Me", "Bless You", "Thank You", "Thank You Very Much", etc.

Her social skills were abysmal.

It's not her fault.

Thai people are nice, but clearly not "social" creatures with general social skills greeting and saying good-bye to people.

She has learned a lot.

We shake hands, we hug, we shake hands and hug.

It's all been new to her ... sometimes she forgets ... but she has learned "social etiquette".

I wish you the best.

It will be an interesting journey for you and your wife.

She will ask many questions about our language that you can not answer.

Be patient with her.

She'll be even more romantic with you in the USA. I promise.

Steve

Travel safely!

I lived and traveled in Mexico (a long way from the border towns) in the 80's and had a wonderful time. Even learned Spanish ( here I know dozen words in Thai).

Great scenery and was always treated well by the locals.

Interesting topic as I have just returned to the US myself after 8 years in Issan. Strange as I though I would have reverse culture shock, but that hasn't been the case so far. We've only been here 3 days, but it feels as though I never left?!

Being here in on the east coast of Florida is still much like issan just more muggy. It's a hell of a lot cleaner here and technology seems to have crept into everyday life. Seems there is an "app" for everything here. Walking into fast food places I see you can order from your cell phone then pick it up. One thing I really liked was going to a hardware store to ask a question about what paint I need to repaint our condo and the lady was knowledgeable and very helpful unlike what I experienced back in LOS.

One thing we won't miss in LOS is the godforsaken Teachers Counsel and their never ending incompetence. I enjoyed my time teaching there, but never again. My wife has the 5 year licence, but I hate the way the Filipino teachers are treated there so she will be applying here in Florida. At least here she has many more opportunities than in either the Philippines or Thailand. I will return to our family furniture business.

As life restarts for me and my wife here I wonder what else is in store for us?

..I chatted to a yank last month from NY State.asked him about NY City. Went with as a kid Christmas time never been since.felt a right chump when I realized how bigNYS IS

to mauisteve

the social skills of thais are 10x more complex and complicated than in the usa, but they are very different. thais have 7 different words for "you", depending on the social status of the other person. thais rarely say hello or goodbuy in everyday live, because the average thai lives together with 10 other people, dozens of neighbors or relatives are constanly coming and going.they would get cracy, saying good morning or goodbuy or thank you 500 times a day. words like nice to meet you is a far too superficial phrase in thai conversations, they speak more to the point, when they talk with each other- what did you eat? did you take a shower already? that is a very common phrase, if thais calling each other.

I am curious, why did you decide after 9 years to leave Thailand? The reason I am asking is maybe someday I might feel the same as you and I want to have plenty of time to think about it. You say you live in Chiang Mai, is that part the reason?