Confusion Over Visa Expiry Date.

Hi all,

I was issued a one year multi entry visa at the Thai Consulate in Melbourne Australia, dated from 05 November 2014 till 04 November 2015. I entered Thailand on December 06 2014. My question is do I need to leave Thailand by 04 November or 06 December. Next time I will revert back to my normal married visa but last time I was away for 4 months when my previous married visa was due. Thanks.

• Like 1

You need to leave within time allowed by your entry stamp (which is normally 90 days for any non-immigrant multi entry visa without the "A" suffix).

Suggest you check immediately as you could be on overstay. There will be a permitted to stay date stamped when you entered the country and you must leave by that date.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have the same type of visa. Like other members said, you are allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 consecutive days, then you have to exit and you get another 90 days. You can repeat the procedure until your visa expires, in your case your last entry must be by November 4th 2015. If you never left Thailand since your entry in December, you are definitively on overstay and must leave asap. You will be required to pay a fine of 20.000 baht. It is also possible you will be banned from re entry, but I am not sure about this. You need to check with immigration asap. Good luck

Edited by rogerpilly
  • Like 1

It is also possible you will be banned from re entry, but I am not sure about this. You need to check with immigration asap. Good luck

There is no ban for an overstay.

No need to go to immigration. Just leave the country and pay the overstay on departure from the country. By air preferably.

• Like 1

Mason45, Hi. Just what type of multi-entry mate? For example, IF it is a 'retirement' (non Imm OA) then it must be utilised within the twelve month period from issue. Your date of arrival in Thailand initiates your twelve months - that is, 6 Dec 2014 and is thus valid for 12 months from that date. If that is what you have then you would do 90 reporting - if you stay in country long enough. Departure within any 90 day period negates the reporting requirement. This has been my experience - also issued initially in Oz..

• Like 1

Mason45, Hi. Just what type of multi-entry mate? For example, IF it is a 'retirement' (non Imm OA) then it must be utilised within the twelve month period from issue. Your date of arrival in Thailand initiates your twelve months - that is, 6 Dec 2014 and is thus valid for 12 months from that date. If that is what you have then you would do 90 reporting - if you stay in country long enough. Departure within any 90 day period negates the reporting requirement. This has been my experience - also issued initially in Oz..

He certainly does not have a OA visa. He stated it was for marriage and Melbourne cannot issue a OA visa since it is a honorary consulate.

I twice had 2 stamps...around a month apart...logic would dictate the latter stamp...not so according to immigration...without reason or rhyme...

Not sure what kind of stamps you are writing about.

If one date was on the visa as the enter before date that is the last day you can use it for an entry. Then the other would be your first entry/permit to stay stamp which means nothing for visa validity it was the date you must leave the country is all.

He certainly does not have a OA visa. He stated it was for marriage and Melbourne cannot issue a OA visa since it is a honorary consulate.

Read again ubonjoe, that was not clear thus I asked a reasonable question. Now, re OA WRONG. My initial OA was issued by the honorary consul in Hobart. Can't copy no scanner. Whether matters have changed since 2011 I do not know but have the multi-entry stamp "No 113/2554 seen at the Royal Thai Consulate, Hobart on 14 Jul 2011 good for multi journey must be utilized before 14 Jul 2012 (sgd) Hon Consul ". Classification "O-A". Okay?

Read again ubonjoe, that was not clear thus I asked a reasonable question. Now, re OA WRONG. My initial OA was issued by the honorary consul in Hobart. Can't copy no scanner. Whether matters have changed since 2011 I do not know but have the multi-entry stamp "No 113/2554 seen at the Royal Thai Consulate, Hobart on 14 Jul 2011 good for multi journey must be utilized before 14 Jul 2012 (sgd) Hon Consul ". Classification "O-A". Okay?

That might of been true 4 years ago. A few honorary consulates were given authority to issue OA visas for period of time but that is no longer done.

It certainly is not shown on Hobar's website now. http://www.thaiconsulatehobart.com/thailand-non-immigrant-visa.htm

Read again ubonjoe, that was not clear thus I asked a reasonable question.

I would respectfully suggest that you, for your part, read the OP again!

You have received some good advice here. The overstay fine is 500 THB per day, or 20,000 maximum. So yes, you are well over and need 20,000 THB.

Like many, I do not think there is much danger of any type of black list, if this is the only bump in the road you have in the Kingdom.

if I may offer some of advice ..

Thais are very sensitive to appearance. A haircut and shave, a nice crisp button down shirt and slacks, with nice shoes... in other words .. what a normal Thai wears to the office .. will go a long way. So will (20) 1,000 THB notes that say "Yes, I get it, my bad, I know the score, here is the fine. This is not a night bazaar, there is no bargaining.

I think you have enough experience in Thailand to know that being soft spoken and smiling .. goes a very long way. I have also seen people go too far in the opposite direction, nearly groveling .. not attractive ... and offensive to Thais to see a foreigner do this.

Lastly, if you take the excellent advice of flying out and dealing with professionals who see this every day (you may be surprised what a "no big deal" this is) ... get top the airport much earlier than usual in case you do hit a snag and are left at a desk waiting for a manager.

I am mystified how a person who has over 250 posts on Thai Visa ... could not know about the 90 day requirements .. since ...well .. it IS called "Thai Visa," and we bitch about this stuff 24/7.

Best of luck, no worries, you will do just fine.

Edited by Guest

Hi guys,

Thanks for all you're input. I'm on a multi entry Non Immigration O visa Thai wife. The initial stamp on entry was only for 90 days, I've used holidays to Siem Reap and Ho Chi Minh City as visa runs since then. On issue my visa was from 05 November 2014 till 04 November 2015, I entered Thailand one month later. Currently I need to do a visa run on 06 September plus 90 days would mean exit date is December 06. I think it's best I wait till my next visa run then I'll know exactly when my current visa expires. Thanks again, you've all been most helpful.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all you're input. I'm on a multi entry Non Immigration O visa Thai wife. The initial stamp on entry was only for 90 days, I've used holidays to Siem Reap and Ho Chi Minh City as visa runs since then. On issue my visa was from 05 November 2014 till 04 November 2015, I entered Thailand one month later. Currently I need to do a visa run on 06 September plus 90 days would mean exit date is December 06. I think it's best I wait till my next visa run then I'll know exactly when my current visa expires. Thanks again, you've all been most helpful.

Your visa expiration date (enter before date) has nothing to do with how long you can be in the country it is just the last day you can use the visa to enter the country and get a new 90 day entry.

Your permitted to stay date on your entry stamp is the date you have to leave the country.

To get the most out of your visa you should do a border run just before the enter before date to get a new 90 day entry.