Lots Of Complaints From Arrivees !

nostrel

Rossarin Vaitayanon, 78, said she and her friend hired a taxi to go to

the airport and wait for her to return for about 800 baht from Bang Na.

Bloody hel_l thats a bit steep, Bang Na's only just up the road!.

kinda begs the question ..... ~~Bangna--airport--Bangna~~ ... now long was the wait?

but still ... $20USD ... not insane

"Most people, however, commented on the beautiful design and size of the

airport"

Well, at least it sounds like a nice place to wait! :o

Even if, as another thread points out, there aren't enough seats or enough toilets?

It will be a nice to look at, rather. :D

kinda begs the question ..... ~~Bangna--airport--Bangna~~ ... now long was the wait?

What do you mean $20 USD ... not insane.

Are you insane? 20 bucks to go 5 miles. This could dramatically inflate the ecomomy even worse. You can rent a songtaew elsewhere in the country for that much for half a day.

Westerners (or at least those with Western mindsets and wallets) destroy the economy by willingly paying too much for goods and services. This means that taxi's and shop keepers only want to provide services to stupid (khii nok) farrangs. It means that the majority of the population (living on 3000 b/month) either have to pay their life savings on piddling things or ... well there isn't much alternative is there because the MRT doesn't go all the way to thei airport yet. In the end, silly Westerners who thought they were being generous, wound up inflating the economy beyond control. Soon we will see greedy restarsunt owners only paying their employees with the tips they receive the way it works in America.

I agree. Outrageous pricing for a nation of dollar-a-day labour. These guys are drive taxis, they're not exactly skilled or educated. He could do three or four trips a day and after expenses earn three times my wage as a professor. And that's twice more than the rector, including his perks, and he has a PhD and has been on the job for 35 years.

People with milk cows like to spout off about how nothing is expensive, but in fact what they really want to say is, I have money - you don't."

Of course it's pretty. The facade is where Thais always put their money. It's an illegal site as far as I'm concerned, and yet unsafe. He laughs at a World body of aviators and commissioners whose careers are dedicated to air safety, all for face.

If these politicians could think they wouldn't be in the mess they're in. He wants to attract tourism then changes the laws to make it a chore for anyone who can't put 400K in his bank - so that he can invest it and earn a bundle for the time of your stay. He wants a better class of people and I can't blame him, I want a better looking and wealthier girl friend but it ain't going to happen. Rich people don't come to Thailand, they go to Paris, London, Rome, Rio, The Alps, etc. He doesn't need an airport, he need an Army, a really big one .. he's at war.

What do you mean $20 USD ... not insane.

Are you insane? 20 bucks to go 5 miles. This could dramatically inflate the ecomomy even worse. You can rent a songtaew elsewhere in the country for that much for half a day.

Westerners (or at least those with Western mindsets and wallets) destroy the economy by willingly paying too much for goods and services. This means that taxi's and shop keepers only want to provide services to stupid (khii nok) farrangs. It means that the majority of the population (living on 3000 b/month) either have to pay their life savings on piddling things or ... well there isn't much alternative is there because the MRT doesn't go all the way to thei airport yet. In the end, silly Westerners who thought they were being generous, wound up inflating the economy beyond control. Soon we will see greedy restarsunt owners only paying their employees with the tips they receive the way it works in America.

If the lady was 78 years old and hired a meter taxi who kept the meter running while waiting it would depend a lot on the waiting time but 800 baht is not unreasonable.

Most taxi drivers do not own their taxi but rent it or share the cost with 2 or 3 others.

Bear in mind that it was a THAI national who hired the taxi and not a farang, in addition to which it is more than 5 miles from Bang Na where traffic on a good day is very bad. I know because my wifes family live in a soi off the Bang Na Trat road at km 7.5 and I don't like going there either but I do because they are family.

There are no songtaews that go to the airport, very few buses as yet, no BTS or rail link so how else is a 78 year old lady going to get to the airport and back. Walk???

I am not sure how you made the leap from a 78 year old Thai lady hiring a taxi to Westerners destroying the economy by paying what the meter reads in a taxi to the majority of the population living on 3,000 baht a month. Most of the taxis I see around Bangkok have Thais in them unless I am in an area frequented by Farangs.

When I arrive at the airport I always get a taxi and make sure that he uses the meter at the rate set by the government, not off the meter at the rate the driver wants to charge.

Also how strange that Westerners by being generous are inflating the economy beyond control and not the price of oil and anything imported. I must stop giving a 40 baht tip to be shared among 8 bar staff the next time I go out drinking for 5 hours.

Edited by billd766

This means that taxi's and shop keepers only want to provide services to stupid (khii nok) farrangs.

Just a note from the board's resident language pedant.

'khii nok' means grubby, dirty or worthless. It does not, however, imply 'stupid'.

That would be 'farang seu beu' (honest to the point of stupidity), 'farang ngoh' (thick, brainless), or 'farang lawk ngaai' (easily duped farang)

This means that taxi's and shop keepers only want to provide services to stupid (khii nok) farrangs.

'khii nok' means grubby, dirty or worthless. It does not, however, imply 'stupid'.

That would be 'farang seu beu' (honest to the point of stupidity), 'farang ngoh' (thick, brainless), or 'farang lawk ngaai' (easily duped farang)

When a Thai person snickers and says 'khi nok' towards a foreigner, they mean more than just the definition which is 'bird poop' It is true that while they are implying grubby dirty or worthless, they also mean dressed poorly -either sexy or like a hippy- It also means that this person is so stupid to come to our country and not know how we do things here, like dress appropriately. Hey, fellow shop-keepers, lets gouge this pathetic tourist, they clearly don't know any better or they wouldn't be dressed that way. Ignorant 'bird poo' fallangs are 'khii lawk' (consistently easily duped).

When a Thai person snickers and says 'khi nok' towards a foreigner, they mean more than just the definition which is 'bird poop' It is true that while they are implying grubby dirty or worthless, they also mean dressed poorly -either sexy or like a hippy- It also means that this person is so stupid to come to our country and not know how we do things here, like dress appropriately. Hey, fellow shop-keepers, lets gouge this pathetic tourist, they clearly don't know any better or they wouldn't be dressed that way. Ignorant 'bird poo' fallangs are 'khii lawk' (consistently easily duped).

My wifes been saying this to me every day for the last 5 years ... mmm and I thought she was saying she loves me ................ :o