Thai tourism to hit the skids if it can't overcome crises

webfact

Tourism to hit the skids if it can't overcome crises
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- TOURISM stands to be the big loser if the country cannot overcome the aviation safety crisis and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) outbreak ahead of the high season, industry leaders said last week.

Tourism may face tough competition as Surveillance conflicts are spreading in Tunisia, France and Italy. The problems many reflect on outbound tourism.

"Thailand will soon enter the high season starting in October and ending up in late March or early April.

"We should now be receiving new forward bookings from overseas. This year, European tourists are still taking a wait-and-see attitude, like the Japanese and Australians, who are keeping an eye on our problems," said Ittirit Kinglake, president of the Tourism Council of Thailand.

The government should do something about the aviation safety crisis and Mers outbreak by the third quarter or before entering the peak season in order to gain the confidence of foreign partners and tourists and convince them to return to the country.

"The coming high season is now at risk, as the aviation crisis may need to take four more months," he said.

Despite the government's assurances that it would not revise down the tourism targets of 28.8 million arrivals and Bt2.2 trillion revenues this year, the private sector has expressed concern that the projections are now being threatened by the twin crises.

Enjoying a boom

Thailand, however, is enjoying a boom in visitors from the China market, who are expected to reach six million this year - accounting for the biggest source.

Travel operators involved in the Asian markets have already cut Bt3,000 per head per trip from the market price to build up business in the low season.

Operators focused on Western markets have also cut packages by Bt5,000-Bt8,000 per trip to draw customers in the off season.

Charoen Wangananon, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, said tourists have still not shifted to other destinations at this stage despite the Mers and air travel issues.

However, if the two problems cannot be solved before the high season, tourism is likely to be hit.

Kittisak Pattamasaevi, vice president of sales and marketing at Montara Hospitality Group, said the group revised its marketing plan by focusing on new emerging markets particularly China.

The group has been mainly handling Europeans and high-spending tourists from Asia.

Kasikorn Research Centre has reported that the aviation safety issue may force inbound tourists to travel with other airlines instead of Thai-registered airlines to avoid worries about safety.

However, arrival numbers should not change much because visitors are still coming to the country. They're just switching airlines. It's the airline industry that is expected to run into turbulence.

This week, the Tourism Authority of Thailand will compile annual marketing action plans to seek additional measures to deal with the double whammy - the Mers outbreak and the civil aviation crisis - in order to save the impending high season.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Tourism-to-hit-the-skids-if-it-cant-overcome-crise-30263295.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-29

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So many conflicting stories. So many stats. Nobody has a clue in this country. It's up, it's down, it's side to side. Who would want to invest or travel in a country that is so incompetent? Too much Thai pride, and for what?

The aviation is a actually a relatively quick fix. All that is needed is money and adherence to standards and protocols which are known. Whether they really want to do this remains to be seen. If it means a decrease in the profits, the alternative is put out a snot load of PR and see how long you can buffalo international inspectors.

Should be fun to watch

Is the MERS a problem at the moment? Is it right there's only been 2 people found with it...I would be more worried for sure about the airlines and the traffic and Mafia than MERS...and yes it is noticeably more expensive now even allowing for a poorer exchange rate than years ago..mind you the air fares from UK to Bangkok return are really cheap..ie £535 Isle of Man to Bangkok return via Manchester..that's a bargain!

A muddled and flawed article...not unlike TAT's usual press releases about tourist numbers.

The aviation problem only relates to charter fights in S/e asia and the passengers dont spend much anyway,but i guess some resorts may suffer.MERS is hardly going to stop people coming yet the thais attitude towards tourists may.

Thailand has had it good for many years but now have to compete with the rest of S/E asia.Good luck to them.A geniune smile may help and less violence towards tourists too.

konying, on 29 Jun 2015 - 06:10, said:snapback.png

I could be wrong but if things were cheaper I think
tourists would be back.

Thailand is no longer the cheap destination it was.

Your are talking about the package holiday people, that might see it a better alternative than say, Tunisian beaches eh?

However I do not think cheapness is the prime factor. Thailand is still relatively cheap. My country certainly is not in the top as for tourist numbers, nothing like EU countries, but over the last five years Thailand has not had good press. This is not about Mers or Coups or airlines. It has to do with friendliness, rudeness and safety. It's been getting a bad rap in travel media, both national and local. How this is to be fixed remains to be seen. I doubt Thailand is very concerned about doing anything, so it will just continue

Many ""other. "" distinct possibilities could also cause internal conflict that upsets the appeal to tourists.

The trick of pretending to be a regular government still has worked to some extent .

Communist Chinese and Russian are not put off....however the latter have been wounded by sanctions , something Thailand may not escape by years end too.

Australians are reducing their love affair with Thailand as reports of death camps and military involvement filter through.

People hear the military is now running Thailand .

Complaints on freedom 's are now known.

Regime tourism by nature is not popular.

American reports and Human rights focus scare people off.

Even though its an ideal time to go.

Eventually , Thailand will recover .

If it avoids internal conflict .

Thus elections might be required before that can really happen.

I for see tough times ahead first.

This military seem content to break all promises and hold power further.

That is a recipe for a hot dish politically.

And people want to avoid possible violence.

post-219560-0-32597700-1435537912_thumb.

Edited by Plutojames88

A good twist on manipulating the mindset of potential tourists. When people look at where they will travel to, they will read into this (probably go overboard on the analysis). What might happen is they will think prices and crowds (at the more popular areas) will be down. However, the deal is not a deal. It's all the same as usual.

Perhaps high rollers will not risk aviation safety issues, but budget guys (like me), will be looking for cheaper tickets.

I believe flights will be full of backpackers and pensioned retirees..but Thailand will remain ever so much more expensive. Flight deals might offset that.

Edited by slipperylobster

tourists would be back.

Your are talking about the package holiday people, that might see it a better alternative than say, Tunisian beaches eh?

However I do not think cheapness is the prime factor. Thailand is still relatively cheap. My country certainly is not in the top as for tourist numbers, nothing like EU countries, but over the last five years Thailand has not had good press. This is not about Mers or Coups or airlines. It has to do with friendliness, rudeness and safety. It's been getting a bad rap in travel media, both national and local. How this is to be fixed remains to be seen. I doubt Thailand is very concerned about doing anything, so it will just continue

Yes...recognising the problem, working out the answers and putting them into practice...Too many hurdles I'm afraid without a major culture change...And the famous Thai smile..genuine ..Is sadly lacking as now you always feel there's a angle behind it while before in years gone by it would be genuine. In the sticks maybe not so...

tourists would be back.

No I am not talking about packages.

Examples: in Australia I cam buy tshirt in Kmart for $5, in Thailand markets its 200 baht=$8

Female companion from a gogo can cost up to 10000 baht

Basically in past 3 years, exchange rate gone down while prices tripled.

I've never been in business so maybe members with experience will weigh in.

I posted last year that a friend booking up for a 3 month visit was shocked at the prices being quoted for accommodation in places he had stayed before and one had jacked their rates up by 200%. One of the receptionists he spoke to and who remembered him said there was nothing she could do because due to a fall in tourism the owner had put the prices up and instructed " no deals, no discounts . "

This seems to be a common attitude here and doesn't sound like good practice, if you're losing custom how does increasing prices encourage what custom is available to buy, stay etc. ?

I posted last year that a friend booking up for a 3 month visit was shocked at the prices being quoted for accommodation in places he had stayed before and one had jacked their rates up by 200%. One of the receptionists he spoke to and who remembered him said there was nothing she could do because due to a fall in tourism the owner had put the prices up and instructed " no deals, no discounts . "

This seems to be a common attitude here and doesn't sound like good practice, if you're losing custom how does increasing prices encourage what custom is available to buy, stay etc. ?

This seems to be a Thai trait and is often mentioned...it's flawed but that's the way they work...they never seem to take into consideration also if the reduced prices slightly they would have more people and get more than the reduction back in sundries..ie restaurant room service drinks etc...

tourists would be back.

Examples: in Australia I cam buy tshirt in Kmart for $5, in Thailand markets its 200 baht=$8

Wow...you need to find another go go ..that's far to much..where was that?. chiang Mai 2000/3000 baht LT

And can't believe Pattaya is much different..Bangkok same 2000/3000 baht LT allegedly!!

Tourism is already dying here in Phuket, even though tourist arrivals are up.

Massive Chinese tourist presence, though, all money spent by them is kept among only a few agencies and tour companies.

Outrageous tuk-tuk prices, no public transport, beaches taken over by the jet-ski mafia, no sun-beds for older people to use, pollution running into the sea, rubbish strewn at the side of the roads, unfettered building that stays closed after completion, the constant rip-offs, aggressive touts and grid-lock on the roads. These are the real reasons that tourism here has started to collapse and it's only going to accelerate. Everyone with a business here that doesn't cater to the Chinese is dreading the next high season.

There was a lot of hope that the army would sort out all the problems, but, they have been as effective as a chocolate tea-pot. All talk, a little bit of action and when they leave, it all goes back to the way it was.

Thai greed, compromise and cowardly corrupt officials are killing this place.

Edited by KarenBravo

I recently travelled over to wind up something...and agree prices were in many cases rising.

It's bad logic but they feel few westerners mean charge more.

The case about clothes is true.

It's cheaper in Australia Rivers and K Marrt ...Lowes ...stocking less expensive items.

Dinner for two in Thailand recently was 1,400 baht two drinks each and three courses.

That's at a reasonable tourist venue .

Cost is $55 AUD .

Last night cost in Australia was $80 ....

There isn't a big difference like ten years ago .

Thailand is cheaper ...it's more relaxed .

But it's no longer a steal .

Once you add air fare and accomadation

Cost of entertainment and what have you?

It's not a cheap exercise.

And there are more concerns than before.

The options are increasing and Thailand won't be always preferred

As NongKhaiKid I had the same bad experience in Mae_Hong_Son at the end of last year;

I go there about twice a year ;

In march 2014 I and my family , we went to a new Hotel , entrance of the town , right side, coming from Pai ;

we paid 500 baht for a comfortable room ;

The same year in november, I and a friend of mine -journey with our MTB , stopped at the same hotel ;

the price of the room was 800 baht ! ;

I didn't discuss a long time and we went to a GH not far from the little lake ;

Not the same comfort but two good beds for 200 baht the room for two people ;

and a great breakfast at the same place for 120 baht/person

tourists would be back.

It was only, a week or so That ThaiVisas ran the headlines that Thailand came second only to Vietnam as the cheapest country to have a holiday is Asia.....maybe look at your own countries exchange rate (if your not American)

Just love to see the posters that state because Thailand now has a military government---& so much corruption they are thinking of next going to Vietnam or Cambodia-- Myanmar.......no one see the irony in that statement.

A lot of People both where I come from UK & lived long time NZ--Australia, are struggerling , It would seem if their is a "Grexit" (as there now naming it) The Euro will take another hit-------I will be quite surprised if the figures at the end of the year are not down for tourism world wide.

Massive Chinese tourist presence, though, all money spent by them is kept among only a few agencies and tour companies.

Outrageous tuk-tuk prices, no public transport, beaches taken over by the jet-ski mafia, no sun-beds for older people to use, pollution running into the sea, rubbish strewn at the side of the roads, unfettered building that stays closed after completion, the constant rip-offs, aggressive touts and grid-lock on the roads. These are the real reasons that tourism here has started to collapse and it's only going to accelerate. Everyone with a business here that doesn't cater to the Chinese is dreading the next high season.

There was a lot of hope that the army would sort out all the problems, but, they have been as effective as a chocolate tea-pot. All talk, a little bit of action and when they leave, it all goes back to the way it was.

Only been to Phuket twice and the first time was okay although noticed the rip,offs etc..the second time was maybe 2005 and right from the start at the airport and the taxi scams and then the stop half way to town trying to get you to change your hotel booking and then when eventually warning the driver he had to take us to the hotel him driving like a lunatic to make a point it all went down hill...would not go back again and tell everyone to avoid it that's asks me where to go in Thailand. And I was lucky in those days as I knew about the jet skis etc but many still don't..it's not hard to sort out either is it..pigs and troughs come to mind though Edited by Nigeone

KarenBravo you are right. have been in patong in april-may. Its one of the worst places in Thailand now. coming for holidays more than 25 years.

its a shame what is going on there. I am waiting for the big crash and all the scum will get out there.

As NongKhaiKid I had the same bad experience in Mae_Hong_Son at the end of last year;

I go there about twice a year ;

In march 2014 I and my family , we went to a new Hotel , entrance of the town , right side, coming from Pai ;

we paid 500 baht for a comfortable room ;

The same year in november, I and a friend of mine -journey with our MTB , stopped at the same hotel ;

the price of the room was 800 baht ! ;

I didn't discuss a long time and we went to a GH not far from the little lake ;

Not the same comfort but two good beds for 200 baht the room for two people ;

and a great breakfast at the same place for 120 baht/person

So you looked around & found a "Comparable" Hotel with a great breakfast for 120 baht per person.....

Braking news---Thailand has options.......

Couldn't have anything to do with a brutal double homicide, or tourists dying in their hotel rooms from bug poison, or martial law, or cops demanding public urination. Each all over the internet.

Must be the "air crisis."

The unrelenting references to the China boom reflect the fact that tourism authorities are in a state of denial: ie, something is wrong with the destination for markets of decades long standing but, no worries, forget them and replace with China.

As any business owner knows, you work hard to preserve your traditional markets while concurrently developing/expanding new ones. It's called a growth strategy.

tourists would be back.

Wow...you need to find another go go ..that's far to much..where was that?. chiang Mai 2000/3000 baht LT

And can't believe Pattaya is much different..Bangkok same 2000/3000 baht LT allegedly!!

I suggest you visit Thailand to know the prices .

2000-3000 is st, plus 1000-2000 bar fine, plus drinks

4000-6000 is lt plus same bar fine and same drinks

Even freelances asking for 3000

Metered taxis at the airport (that don't use their meters) complained to the local government that they had gone from four customers a day to only one.

Name another country where you can make a living as a taxi driver with only four rides a day.

You can now fly from Bangkok to Phuket cheaper than the cost of driving from the airport to Patong.

There is something seriously wrong with that.

Tourism is already dying here in Phuket, even though tourist arrivals are up.---KarenBravo

Your right KB Tourist figures are up & more money is being spent---an unusual analogy for dieing ...

The type of tourism--is changing --World wide-- most of the type of tourists coming in from Asia -don't want to spend their days sitting in a small bar telling someone that their last wife never understood them---a lot of those bars will go to the wall. Time after time figures keep coming out about how much the Chinese in particular are spending (way above any other country--so many links here on that fact) & everyone one of those posts to the contrary--are familiar in as much as they are anecdotal ---there has never been one link to show us how having all these extra tourist is so bad for the country.

Now you have traced the money--well done-- showing that it doesn't benefit Thailand at all --------LINKS PLEEEEAASEEE

I've posted this before but it's always relevant i think.

Last year I saw an official of the Phuket Tourist Authority being interviewed on television about the ever increasing Chinese tourism and he was very clear that many hotels / restaurants etc were totally dependent on the Chinese as domestic tourists and those from other countries had stopped frequenting businesses used by Chinese because of their behaviour etc.

In consequence of this he said that if Chinese tourism ever turns downward many Phuket businesses will fail.