Malayan Pit Viper near Wang Bua Ban

CMMCB

Just a heads up that one of these highly venomous snakes was met on the path between Huay Kaew waterfall and Pha Ngerb cliffs just by the stream at Wang Bua Ban this evening. Not seen one in such a busy place before. They really blend in with the fallen leaves too - see photo.

It seems that this is one snake that isn't too bothered by nearby humans and they also often stay around the same area for long periods. A friend told me he'd seen a wildlife programme on tv which showed a time lapse video of one in India that hardly moved for a month.

If you get bitten by one of these, you apparently have only about 30 minutes to get to the hospital.

post-47107-0-00671800-1435584855_thumb.j

Either its very well camouflaged,or I am loosing my eyesight,

as I cannot see it,better keep out of the woods as I would be sure to step on it.

regards Worgeordie

It's just below the center of the photo, and a degree or two to the left. More round shaped than the leaves.

Either its very well camouflaged,or I am loosing my eyesight,

as I cannot see it,better keep out of the woods as I would be sure to step on it.

regards Worgeordie

You see that pile o' poop? OH SHIT , that aint poop !

nearly stepped on a snake in Chiang Mai recently, it had a very awkward side-movement, almost like it was flopping to the side and recovering. it was dark but it did not look like any of these. It was rather large and dark colored. Curious if anyone might know what I am referring to from this rather.. vague description? Maybe 1-1.5 meters long

Edited by Cheesekraft

• 2 weeks later...

Poisonous , deadly snakes are a reality in Thailand. On a hike down doi suthep I met a guy who was showing me pictures of these Malay vipers. Really scary. The thought of being out in the wilderness and bit by one of these things is frightening. I've only had one run in with a real snake in Thailand, despite spending a good amount of time in the woods.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a kit or something in advance to going out for a hike?

The problem for people with Malaysian pit vipers is their behaviour.

Most snakes that hunt on the ground move out of the way, when a big mammal (human, possible danger) approaches. Malaysian pit vipers do not. They stay in the same spot for hours and days, because they rely on their camouflage for hunting. They like to stay on trails and pathways where prey may cross, or in the grass. They also like to come out in the rain. The Malayan pit viper most likely strikes if you step on it or come too close to it.

According to Dr. Suchai from the Dept. of toxicology, Chulalongkorn university there are 7000 reported snake bites with 30 fatalities annually in Thailand. The Malayan pit viper is responsible for most of these. So, the deadliest snake is not the cobra, as many think, but the Malayan pit viper.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Poisonous , deadly snakes are a reality in Thailand. On a hike down doi suthep I met a guy who was showing me pictures of these Malay vipers. Really scary. The thought of being out in the wilderness and bit by one of these things is frightening. I've only had one run in with a real snake in Thailand, despite spending a good amount of time in the woods.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a kit or something in advance to going out for a hike?

I have a bottle of Benadryl which has diphenhydramine although the Thai Yaa shops don't generally have it, especially in liquid form. There is one shop on Chang Puak. Also for hornets etc. I'm not an expert.

The thing that makes this snake so deadly is it doesn't scamper off when there is lots of activity nearby. I lived in a house with a small side yard that I often cut through. There was a small shrub about 40 cm high. After tripping over it one too many times, I decided to pull it up. I ran my hand down the trunk and pulled hard, squishing my fist into this snake. It never moved. I went and found a Thai guy who identified it, killed it, and joked that I should go buy a lottery ticket. I saw it one other time on a path through our garden. Again it wasn't going anywhere. It was almost like it was playing dead. You could throw a twig on it...nothing.

The thing that makes this snake so deadly is it doesn't scamper off when there is lots of activity nearby. I lived in a house with a small side yard that I often cut through. There was a small shrub about 40 cm high. After tripping over it one too many times, I decided to pull it up. I ran my hand down the trunk and pulled hard, squishing my fist into this snake. It never moved. I went and found a Thai guy who identified it, killed it, and joked that I should go buy a lottery ticket. I saw it one other time on a path through our garden. Again it wasn't going anywhere. It was almost like it was playing dead. You could throw a twig on it...nothing.

Wow...indeed you should go buy a lottery ticket.

Sounds like the Australian death adder. It doesn't move, it waits for it's prey. One of the deadliest snakes in the world it will wait for many days until a meal passes. This ambush hunting makes the death adder more of a threat to humans. Most other snakes will move away from the first sign of danger whereas death adders tend to sit tight and rely on their camouflage. A stray foot in the wrong place can lead to an extremely rapid strike (probably the fastest of all Australian snakes) and a serious bite.

Two Questions.

1 How high up can they strike? I know many snakes can only strike down unlike the American Rattlesnake which can strike higher than it's head.

2 Are they very similar in looks to the golden tree snake?

1 and 1/2 their length when coiled ........ so above your knee.

Nothing like a golden tree snake.

Two Questions.

1 How high up can they strike? I know many snakes can only strike down unlike the American Rattlesnake which can strike higher than it's head.

Do you remember this one we came across MaeJoMTB on the trail to Doi Suthep

how high did we have to dance to get around this one.? I was bricking it at the time

Maybe it was one of us who showed this photo to LarryBird as he came with us a couple of times.post-150623-0-06124400-1436972440_thumb.

Always thought that was the Malayan Pit Viper but different colour to the one in the OP photo.

I had one of those hanging out of a tree withs its face about a foot from mine when I was having a piss up a Banana tree in a place called Penanti in Malaysia. As most blokes do I was concertrating on my aim , when I looked up there it was , yes i did end up covered in wee

Two Questions.

Thanks for the information. I had heard the golden tree snake looked a lot like a highly venomous snake and wasn't sure if the Malayan Pit Viper was the one.

Two Questions.

Thanks for the information. I had heard the golden tree snake looked a lot like a highly venomous snake and wasn't sure if the Malayan Pit Viper was the one.

Golden Tree Snake and banded krait can look very similar.

Two Questions.

Golden Tree Snake and banded krait can look very similar.

Yes, they are both snake shaped, other than that, no, very different, also one is aboreal and the other terestrial.

We are trespassing on their land. Treat them with the respect that they deserve. We have no more right to their territory than they do.

Oh boy....

It's a reptile....I doubt it has a chanote for the land. "Respect" for a reptile? Respect for the fact that it could kill me, sure; but I don't think that's what you had in mind.

"We have no more right to their territory than they do." Huh? You just said it was "their land"; now you say neither snake nor man as any more right than the other (to their territory). So it's "their territory" but they don't have any rights to it, the same as a man has no rights to "their territory."

It's a snake, a poisonous one. Don't anthropomorphize. It has no "rights," in the same way a snail or a frog has no rights.

Be careful of things that can kill you. Be it a spider, a snake or a bear. That's all.