"criminal classes"

F4UCorsair

Ho hum, I just read parts of the now closed thread, "No shirt no shoes Ok in Bangkok"? and saw yet another reference to the 'criminal classes' implying Australians.

Soutpeel, and others, I as an Australian am not offended by the reference, but it's not funny, not smart, just plain childish, tedious, damned silly, and adds nothing to a post. Those using the infantile inference, particularly if either living in, or formerly from, the UK, should do well to remember where those criminal classes honed their skills, many in Dartmoor Prison, Devon, UK, which makes the reference even more absurd.

There is now a vast minority of Australians who descended from those 'criminal classes' making the expression even less relevant, and it's about as ridiculous as calling all Englishmen 'limeys', a reference to eating limes on sailing ships to ward off scurvy, when only a tiny minority ever stepped onto a sailing ship.

Parroting meaningless, mindless crap does the poster no credit, so please give this ridiculous, infantile expression a break.

Edited by F4UCorsair

For no reason other than to remind those using the mindless expression how stupid they appear.

On that reasoning, when I write an 'essay' I'm offended??? I doubt it. I suppose if there is something my 'criminal class' background gave me, it was a thick skin. Not really....I descended from free settlers.

If I'm offended, it's not that someone infers that I am a descendant of the 'criminal classes' but because I have a great dislike for cliches, the domain of the uneducated, those with limited vocabularies, and those with nothing to say/add.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Your right, I have seen it on the board too, there are a few guys with a certain nationality who just love putting all other countries down. However after doing the same to them they cried like babies and branded me a racist.

These guys really love putting people down from other countries and think theirs is the best. Its childish and a sign of people who in general did not amount to much in life so they result to nationalism so they can at least feel a bit good with themselves.

strange that your view differs so much from the other former colonies.

the yanks for example are forever declaring they are 3rd genration Irish, 4th genration Scots related to the Widnsors and 62nd in line. Incredible that on meeting someone they are so desperate for historical roots that they introduce themselves as such.

Hell my mothers side of the family is Scots, but when I meet people I don't say im 10th genreation Scot im born in England. so I'm English, never had the urge to say anything else.

I was also under the impression that aussies like their crims and make them national heroes in a kind of proud of their families pasts way...