Returning work permit and applying for a retirement visa.

Today is the last day of work for me and the company secretary has gone to the labor department to return my work permit. She is still at the Labor Dept so she has just sent me a scan of the document which I need to take to the Immigration department in Jomthien. Do you think they will accept a scan. I am a bit pressed for time as I have to rush to Immigration before they close. I am hoping that she will return with the original within a few hours so i don't have to resort to using the scan copy. What do you think? I doubt they would accept the scan. This has been a problem at work with people finishing their contract and returning the work permit and getting to Immigration in the same day.

The work permit being cancelled does not mean you have to leave immediately. The cancellation receipt would also not be enough to cancel your extension. You will need a termination letter from the company to cancel your extension. Your employer could date the letter a few days from today.

You probably will have to go out for a single entry non-o visa. Their have been reports of immigration not changing the reason for an extension from working to retirement.

I don't see why I would have to go out if I have a letter from my employer stating that today is the last day of work for me and I have the document for the work permit that has been cancelled. Also, if I have cancelled the work permit today, I am not allowed to stay another day or it is an overstay since my visa will expire August 21st, My understanding is that once the work permit has been cancelled, any remaining time on your visa is no longer valid. This is getting down to the wire, About three more hours until Immigration closes. I may have to go to Immigration and ask for a 7 day extension and then sort out my options. My employer is pretty hopeless getting the proper documentation ready. The letter eplxaining that my contract has been terminated has yet to be typed.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Kind regards.

As I said you do not have to leave on the date the work permit is cancelled. Nobody will notify immigration other that yourself.

Ask your employer to date the termination letter later in the week (or next week). Then you could go to immigration a few days before that date and immigration will post date the cancellation.

All I can do is give you the info that immigration has been reported as not doing a change of the reason for an extension. You should check with them about it.

I was under the impression that you had seven days to leave the country, or make other arrangements, from the date your work permit is cancelled. That was how it worked for me when I changed employers. I simply left the country a few days after my WP was cancelled, went to Singapore to arrange another visa, and returned without any hassles (fyi).

I was under the impression that you had seven days to leave the country, or make other arrangements, from the date your work permit is cancelled. That was how it worked for me when I changed employers. I simply left the country a few days after my WP was cancelled, went to Singapore to arrange another visa, and returned without any hassles (fyi).

There is no free 7 days to leave after the work permit or extension cancellation unless you have the privilege of doing your extensions at the one stop center.

Canceling the work permit and extension are 2 separate things. On the date your extension is canceled you must leave the country or apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

An employer could even cancel your work permit after the the extension is canceled.