Turn crisis into opportunity: PM Prayut

webfact

Turn crisis into opportunity: PM
THE NATION

30263470-01_big.jpg?1435706267814

AGENCIES TO ALLOCATE ZONES FOR SUITABLE PLANTS, WHILE MORE WELLS TO BE DUG

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday instructed agencies to "turn a [drought] crisis into an opportunity" by allocating zones to grow suitable plants, while also ordering 1,000 wells to be dug.

During the Cabinet's mobile meeting in Chiang Mai, Prayut said he had ordered that the nation irrigation coverage be increased 10 per cent by 2016.

As only 40 per cent of the country's 137 million rai of agricultural land was covered by the irrigation system, areas outside the zone would need additional action, he said, suggesting agricultural-land zoning to ensure less water-dependent crops were grown in suitable areas.

He said the domestic usage of water, export and demand for agricultural products, as well as promotion of product processing, should also be addressed.

As some 2,000 artificial-rainmaking operations have reportedly not yielded enough rain because of insufficient cloud and dry weather, Prayut called for budget adjustment in drought-tackling measures, including the digging of 1,000 wells - double the original plan.

Meanwhile, His Majesty has granted personal funds to aid rainmaking operations and urged the setting up of two special rainmaking centres were set up in Nakhon Sawan and Chiang Mai provinces, Jor Sor 100 FM radio station said yesterday.

Before the Cabinet's mobile meeting, Prayut visited agencies' booths in the venue and helped correct some display boards with markers, as he said they needed to provide more information and better presentation.

Listening to Royal Irrigation Department chief Lertwiroj Gowat-tana's presentation on the water-management model, Prayut reportedly pulled the official's hand from the model to stop him, and then asked questions about water sources and why waterways had dried up. He then urged officials to find places to retain rainwater, and to dredge waterways.

Jor Sor 100 FM radio quoted Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation Department chief Warawut Khantiyanont's remarks about HM's assistance for rainmaking operations. He said the new Nakhon Sawan centre would oversee operations in the Chao Phraya River basin, while the Chiang Mai centre would cover operations in the North.

Warawut said the department's 11 rainmaking-operations centres nationwide, which have 20 aircraft, had since March 2 carried out some 2,150 sorties, resulting in rainfall in 66 provinces.

The department was also being helped by the Royal Thai Air Force in setting up a further three centres with 10 planes to help make artificial rain, he added.

A number of areas have started to carry out rainmaking operations, particularly upstream of dams.

Northeastern Region Royal Rainmaking Centre chief Thawee Kanchana said his office's seven aircraft had conducted six daily sorties to sprinkle 20 tonnes of chemicals, half of which was used in Nakhon Ratchasima to refill the Lamtakhong reservoir. Similar operations were carried out in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi and Ratchaburi provinces to refill the Pran Buri and Kaeng Krachan dams.

Meanwhile, in Rayong's Muang district, villagers in six communities of tambon Noen Phra yesterday urged the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate's 10-year-old water-pump station immediately to stop taking water from Klong Namhu, as water had become scarce for farmers.

Muang Rayong clerk Tachapol Eium-ngam said he would ask the estate to stop pumping water for now, after which a joint panel would be established to formulate a new agreement to ensure fair water management.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Turn-crisis-into-opportunity-PM-30263470.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-01

I always thought military colleges / academies like Sandhurst and West Point were the very best in preparing officers for their careers and beyond but the Thai Military version must be something really special as it turned out the PM who is proving to be an expert in everything.

Just as well, as the previous government has turned opportunities into crisis....

beside, how many wells you intend to dig before you run out of underground

reservoirs to tap from? a better solutions must be found for the next generations

of farmers or this issue will repeat it selves year after year...

PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday instructed agencies to "turn a [drought] crisis into an opportunity" by allocating zones to grow suitable plants, while also ordering 1,000 wells to be dug.

Imagine, a leader that may actually do something about water supply and management. Criticize if you like, but digging wells for municipal and farm use does more for Thais than wasting billions on dodgy rice schemes or 500 baht handouts every few years for votes.

I always thought military colleges / academies like Sandhurst and West Point were the very best in preparing officers for their careers and beyond but the Thai Military version must be something really special as it turned out the PM who is proving to be an expert in everything.

Well not everything, bit lacking in the diplomacy and tact department, also PR does not appear to be his forte. I could go on, but.................

PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday instructed agencies to "turn a [drought] crisis into an opportunity" by allocating zones to grow suitable plants, while also ordering 1,000 wells to be dug.

Imagine, a leader that may actually do something about water supply and management. Criticize if you like, but digging wells for municipal and farm use does more for Thais than wasting billions on dodgy rice schemes or 500 baht handouts every few years for votes.

"....wasting billions on dodgy rice schemes".

Yes, absolutely.

Those damn Ag. subsidy programs the Opposition has been able to demonize, avoid independent audits so no-one gets confused with facts, and Opposition noise is accepted as gospel, need to end here and now.

If it wasn't for those assistance programs and other dastardly populist initiatives designed "for ordinary people" to redistribute some of the nation's wealth beyond the Bangkok-centric elite, we could have obtained a 4th. Submarine.

Edited by Bannum opinions

Yes, absolutely.

Those damn Ag. subsidy programs the Opposition has been able to demonize, avoid independent audits so no-one gets confused with facts, and Opposition noise is accepted as gospel, need to end here and now.

If it wasn't for those assistance programs and other efforts at re-distribution of some of the nation's wealth beyond the Bangkok-centric elite, we could have obtained a 4th. Submarine.

I fail to see how paying well above the world price for any commodity, and the allowing it rot in warehouses is good for anyone, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions, "they're like a--holes, everyone has one".

Yes, absolutely.

If it wasn't for those assistance programs and other efforts at re-distribution of some of the nation's wealth beyond the Bangkok-centric elite, we could have obtained a 4th. Submarine.

I fail to see how paying well above the world price for any commodity, and the allowing it rot in warehouses is good for anyone, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions, "they're like a--holes, everyone has one".

"....but that's just my opinion"

And I appreciate it.....furthers the discussion.

But it is very close to being the spin loudly proclaimed by the Opposition....

Keeping in mind that Ag. support programs take many forms, with many objectives beyond financial gain, such as economic development, or frankly, a Govt. looking after its' electoral base with an eye toward the next election, or as in Thailand's case, re-distributing the nations wealth beyond the elitist minority controlling it, who are too selfish and resent divesting itself of such wealth to the Plebs, etc. etc......An independent audit would have clarified a lot.

As it is, all we have to go in is self-serving anti-democrats driving the conversation in this regard....As part of their previous coup-focused objectives and now seeking to justify themselves.

Yes, absolutely.

"....but that's just my opinion"

And I appreciate it.....furthers the discussion.

But it is very close to being the spin loudly proclaimed by the Opposition....

Keeping in mind that Ag. support programs take many forms, with many objectives beyond financial gain, such as economic development, or frankly, a Govt. looking after its' electoral base with an eye toward the next election, or as in Thailand's case, re-distributing the nations wealth beyond the elitist minority controlling it, who are too selfish and resent divesting itself of such wealth to the Plebs, etc. etc......An independent audit would have clarified a lot.

As it is, all we have to go in is self-serving anti-democrats driving the conversation in this regard....As part of their previous coup-focused objectives and now seeking to justify themselves.

I no see...

Did you run out of ink?

He just wants to impress Kim Jong il, who is standing to his right in the photo...

Yes, absolutely.

They should have paid them to grow less. .call it a pension.

Keeping in mind that Ag. support programs take many forms, with many objectives beyond financial gain, such as economic development, or frankly, a Govt. looking after its' electoral base with an eye toward the next election, or as in Thailand's case, re-distributing the nations wealth beyond the elitist minority controlling it, who are too selfish and resent divesting itself of such wealth to the Plebs, etc. etc......An independent audit would have clarified a lot. Most countries would be inclined to ensure that only their own farmers benefited from the subsidy. PTP allowed agents/brokers from several surrounding countries to import rice of inferior quality and reap the benefits. We all know you have an agenda, that is your right, but you're not going to convince anyone that the rice scheme was a success. PTP had a plan to corner the market, got caught by brighter people and lost a bundle, a bundle that wasn't theirs to lose.

Edited by ramrod711

The draught is not the PM,s fault. But he is trying to make possible solutions to prevent future draughts. Feel sorry for the farmers but it is what it is!

I think everyone has sympathy for the farmers, they were warned many months in advance that there was not going to be any water, particularly for second rice crops. They ignored the warnings, probably because the didn't have, or couldn't see, any alternative. Perhaps the wells will be effective, I don't know. One thing I do know, if Thaksin had drilled wells instead of creating the rice scheme, farmers would be better off. Let us not forget how long it took Yingluck and friends to pay them, oops, they never paid them, the present government did.

Keeping in mind that Ag. support programs take many forms, with many objectives beyond financial gain, such as economic development, or frankly, a Govt. looking after its' electoral base with an eye toward the next election, or as in Thailand's case, re-distributing the nations wealth beyond the elitist minority controlling it, who are too selfish and resent divesting itself of such wealth to the Plebs, etc. etc......An independent audit would have clarified a lot. Most countries would be inclined to ensure that only their own farmers benefited from the subsidy. PTP allowed agents/brokers from several surrounding countries to import rice of inferior quality and reap the benefits. We all know you have an agenda, that is your right, but you're not going to convince anyone that the rice scheme was a success. PTP had a plan to corner the market, got caught by brighter people and lost a bundle, a bundle that wasn't theirs to lose.

"We all know you have an agenda"

In the spirit of debate not being conflict, opinions are not necessarily an 'agenda'. Everyone has them and no-one is "neutral". Everyone has opinions and to denigrate them as being 'agenda's' goes back to the ole' 'shoot the messenger' cop-out.

"....but you're not going to convince anyone that the rice scheme was a success.

That has not been my intent...... Perhaps it was a success given the variant objectives each Ag. subsidy program may have, and as enunciated by Yingluck in Parliament....Perhaps it was not a success as the self-serving Opposition trumpets at every turn..............Your opinions obviously have bought into that Opposition agenda. Mine have not and consider the source.

If there was an an honest evaluation of this program by an independent party that all agree are independent, I would be happy to applaud their analysis.

Is the royal rain making department affiliated with the royal black magic department?

Perhaps you should politely ask the man who is reigning, since it was largely due to his influence that this method is used.rolleyes.gif

Perhaps there should be a Rain tax?

The draught is not the PM,s fault. But he is trying to make possible solutions to prevent future draughts. Feel sorry for the farmers but it is what it is!

I think everyone has sympathy for the farmers, they were warned many months in advance that there was not going to be any water, particularly for second rice crops. They ignored the warnings, probably because the didn't have, or couldn't see, any alternative. Perhaps the wells will be effective, I don't know. One thing I do know, if Thaksin had drilled wells instead of creating the rice scheme, farmers would be better off. Let us not forget how long it took Yingluck and friends to pay them, oops, they never paid them, the present government did.

"Perhaps the wells will be effective, I don't know"

Yes, they would be, once one drills past higher salt water levels in many areas...It is my understanding that wells cost around 30,000.00 baht each.

"Let us not forget how long it took Yingluck and friends to pay them, oops, they never paid them, the present government did".

To put some details to this generalization.

​There was a process involving bank borrowing for immediate remuneration of farmers, pending sale of the rice.

The anti-democrats in their op-positional ardor against Yingluck, lobbied the banks not to pay....Every bank...even to the degree of protesting in front of the banks seeking to close them. A certain Anand Panyarachun spearheaded this campaign. Why this extreme opposition outside parliamentary debate norms, we can only speculate about.

Now you know the rest of the story in case you had forgotten

Yes, they would be, once one drills past higher salt water levels in many areas...It is my understanding that wells cost around 30,000.00 baht each.

"Let us not forget how long it took Yingluck and friends to pay them, oops, they never paid them, the present government did".

​There was a process involving bank borrowing for immediate remuneration of farmers, pending sale of the rice.

The anti-democrats in their op-positional ardor against Yingluck, lobbied the banks not to pay....Every bank...even to the degree of protesting in front of the banks seeking to close them. A certain Anand Panyarachun spearheaded this campaign. Why this extreme opposition outside parliamentary debate norms, we can only speculate about.

I haven't forgotten anything, there was no cash to pay farmers, blame who you like for the governments inability to secure loans. The government did not pay the farmers, and some of them committed suicide, while others were prevented from reaching Bangkok by a red shirt blockade, perhaps you forgot about that. By the way, I haven't bought into anyone's agenda.

I haven't forgotten anything, there was no cash to pay farmers, blame who you like for the governments inability to secure loans. The government did not pay the farmers, and some of them committed suicide, while others were prevented from reaching Bangkok by a red shirt blockade, perhaps you forgot about that. By the way, I haven't bought into anyone's agenda.

" blame who you like for the governments inability to secure loans"

I did...... They had the ability to secure loans but were prevented from doing so for purely partisan reasons as I outlined above.....

".........while others were prevented from reaching Bangkok by a red shirt blockade, perhaps you forgot about that"

​I didn't forget that, because it never happened.

Suggesting there were multiple farmer suicides, and lay that responsibility at the the Yingluck Govt. feet, is some more opposition folderol. Any suicides then and now most likely have many causes.

" I haven't bought into anyone's agenda"

I agree....You have opinions...No-one is disputing that.

"2,000 artificial-rainmaking operations have reportedly not yielded enough rain because of insufficient cloud and dry weather"

But "the missions have brought about an average precipitation of about 92 percent since the start of the operation." Says deputy government spokesman Major General Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

Seems there are two different viewpoints from the government on the effectiveness of the rain-making operations.

And then there's the growing number of wells to be dug -

The cabinet ordrered 500 groundwater wells would create around 200,000 cubic metres of water for consumption per day (2015-06-26)

Prayut ordered 1,000 wells to be dug.

Is anyone looking at any scientific data on ground hydrology in well planning or are they just trying to impress the public with lots of "activity?"

I've been in the water supply and treatment business for 35 years.

1,000 wells to solve a supply problem for rice cultivation (or frankly, for most cash crops) is nothing.

Too little, too late is the phrase that comes to mind.

The credible plan is one phased in over the next 5 to 10 years. That's a more realistic time frame for enhancing reliability of supply, coverage, and conservation.

But hey, I understand the PM doesn't have 10 years. Maybe not even 10 months.

Is anyone taking notes as the Great Leader gives expert advice?

The sitting govt was blocked by various legal issues from providing the funding. Not least of which was their stupid idea to hold a snap election which prevented them from extending borrowing.

There were protests and a lot of lobbying to prevent this money being dispersed.

"2,000 artificial-rainmaking operations have reportedly not yielded enough rain because of insufficient cloud and dry weather"

But "the missions have brought about an average precipitation of about 92 percent since the start of the operation." Says deputy government spokesman Major General Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

Seems there are two different viewpoints from the government on the effectiveness of the rain-making operations.

And then there's the growing number of wells to be dug -

The cabinet ordrered 500 groundwater wells would create around 200,000 cubic metres of water for consumption per day (2015-06-26)

Prayut ordered 1,000 wells to be dug.

Is anyone looking at any scientific data on ground hydrology in well planning or are they just trying to impress the public with lots of "activity?"

No one is permitted to ever claim that Thai cloud seeding doesn't work. Simple.

The Russians invented the Russian version, but apparently the Thai version is considerably superior in every way......except when there aren't any clouds.....

Quotes from #28 above

"There were protests and a lot of lobbying to prevent this money being dispersed"....(By the anti-democrats I might add....and not in Parliament..typical of them)

"......stupid idea to hold a snap election"

I think we are getting somewhere. As opposed to revising history and blaming Yingluck for the actions of the Opposition.

Do I need to expand on the cause-and-effect of the above two quotes.

In light of this Opposition intransigence preventing the farmers from being paid...........then blaming and demonizing Yinglucks Govt. for their actions......... then having their Election Commission cancel that election which scared the bejeebers out of them.......... sort of sums up the anti-democrats.

Nothing more needs said.