Greece's bailout expires, country defaults on IMF payment

webfact

the alarm bells were ringing years ago and nothing was done by Greece to rectify the matter, head buried in the sand attitude, and now it has finally hit the buffers. and the clown posting "i hope the U.K is next" wat you on Yabba ??

I think the person is saying I hope the UK voluntary leaving is in the cards. I am all for that. Who wouldn't with any interest in the sovereignty of their country?

my apologies for that, i read the post from a different angle. and yes i agree , uk being governed, by jealous euro cousins. we pay millions into the euro fund, and some pay in jack sh*t. so we are subsidising poor countries, am i right in thinking when Greece joined the EEC it was with "cooked books" and i bet they weren't the only ones.

mercman24,

your analysis is correct. EU is an organization where the rich countries subsidize the poor countries - until they are all poor, and the banks take the difference.

And they started it all with "cooked books" Even rich Germany failed to meet the Maastricht convergence criteria in the beginning of Euro zone.

Edited by micmichd

I suspect this referendum will be a bit like the Scottish one. All the momentum seems to be with the 'No' vote (as per Scottish independence) but when the polls close the 'Yes' will have a pretty substantial majority.

I suspect this referendum will be a bit like the Scottish one. All the momentum seems to be with the 'No' vote (as per Scottish independence) but when the polls close the 'Yes' will have a pretty substantial majority.

Well, I'll never make a political analyst!!