Bangkok traffic ticket

I've recently moved to Bangkok and purchased a Honda Click to run around the neighborhood and day trips out of Bangkok. In the 3 weeks I've owned the bike I've gotten pulled over about once a week. Yesterday I got my first ticket for riding in the far right lane of a 3 lane road and was fined B500 on the spot. I don't speak much Thai, as a result only got spotty information from the police officer.

Am I doing something wrong to get pulled over this frequently? I've got a Thai motorcycle license, when I used to show my US license they would just wave me through. Am I better off to show a US license? Can anyone provide a strategy to avoid getting pulled over this frequently? And finally, in the US were I to get 3 tickets in a year my license might be suspended, am I at similar risk here in Thailand?

I've ridden bikes for most of my life and while I apparently don't know all the rules I try to drive safely and conscientiously. Appreciate any help and advice the forum may be able to provide.

Scott

You know I guess I don't. In the US that would be the passing lane which is what I was doing when stopped at the checkpoint. When I got my Thai license there was no study guide or instruction and I wasn't required to take a test. I guess the solution is not to use the far right lane at all on multiple lane roads.

My concern is that I'm doing something to attract unnecessary attention and if so would like help recognizing whatever that behavior is, I seem to be getting pulled over excessively. The first two times they talked to me, looked at my Hawaii drivers license and waved me on. As an experienced rider my technique isn't all that different from my home country but obviously I'm doing something to attract attention. The ramifications of getting multiple tickets is also a worry.

Driving in Bangkok has been a struggle and a learning experience, fun and a little spooky at the same time. Bike riders here seem to do things all the time that would get them arrested in the US. It's apparent I don't know all the rules, thought someone with a little more experience here could provide recommendations

Is there an English resource for Thai road guidelines?

Edited by koolaukid

Officially you have to stay in the most right lane, personally I don't do that because its dangerous. I just accept a ticket now and then. Of course i ride a big bike and have no problem keeping up with traffic. But I would get stopped just the same way as clicks and I know it. I am breaking the law and willing to pay up.

Usually you can spot the police before a checkpoint and just go to the left side for a bit and avoid a ticket.

There's some confusion about the specifics of the law on use of lanes for bikes in the city - some say the law apples equally to cars, others say there no such law, others say there is a law that says inner lane only for bikes (and many car drivers say that only crazy people ride bikes in Bangkok). But what the law says is not really relevant as this is just a way to subsidize the low pay of the lower ranking policemen.

There is a sign (in Thai only) which is black on white with a picture of a bike from the 1950's) that say's inner lane for bikes only - and you'll see this on some main roads.

But clearly sticking to the inside lane all the time would be dangerous - as this is where the buses hunt for lone bikers and where taxi's dive to catch a fare. The road surfaces are also very poor and often the inside lane is for left turns only.

So what most people do is ride in the safest position (you'll know this from your past rising experience) but look well ahead for police road checks. They are usually in the same positions and the operate on a rotation basis - so you'll get to know the likely spots. Also look for the motorcycle taxis suddenly darting into the inside lane ahead.

And try to cover your white face (if you have one) as being in possession of a white face on a bike is an instant 200 THB fine.

Also - note that on-the-spot fines are negotiable. Learn enough Thai to say that you are a school teacher and you'll get away with 100 THB.

The left lane is not only dangerous to ride in but often not possible, when buses stop on the middle lane to let passengers on and off i would,nt advise anyone what ever vehicle to be in the left lane...seen a few of those accidents and also nearly got caught out myself when a bus reduced speed with an open door to allow passengers to jump and run, one jumped into the side of my car,

The police in thailand are not in the business of enforcing traffic laws but only filling their pockets, if you cant find a way to avoid the checks at the side of the road just buy a cam and make it visible, more often than not you will be waved on the moment they notice it.

you could always change your look to avoid getting arrested, put your crack out on the back, wear sunglasses nihgt and day. pull out in front of traffic while pretending not to look, or don't look and pull out into traffic, cut up faster moving traffric cusing them to ememrgency brake.

Attach some sort of cheap dash cam, webcam, or any type of small action cam of the sort, working or not, to your helmet or even your chest using a cheap chest strap. That should reduce the number of occurrences to at least 50% or less.

you could always change your look to avoid getting arrested, put your crack out on the back, wear sunglasses nihgt and day. pull out in front of traffic while pretending not to look, or don't look and pull out into traffic, cut up faster moving traffric cusing them to ememrgency brake.

For that to work he would have to use the mirrors for nose picking and pulling hairs out his chin.

Yes, you did something wrong you should not be driving a Honda click in the outside lane.

Do you not know what the outside lane is for ?

Your first sentence is true, whether it's a Honda click or a big bike, but if the OP wanted to do a U turn or right turn, he has to move out in plenty of time, if he leaves it too late, there's no way the traffic are going to let him get to the outside lane.

There is no point system in Thailand so dont worry about getting allot of tickets. Also are you sure you are getting a proper ticket or you just paying the police.

Are they giving you a paper? if not then no ticket you are just paying. If i were you i would only keep 100B in my pocket and if police want more tell them you need to go to an ATM they will accept the 100B. You are white so you will be getting stopped even if you are not doing anything wrong.

Yes, you did something wrong you should not be driving a Honda click in the outside lane.

Yes I know what it's for.

It's the slow lane.

It's the lane for making mobile calls in.

It's the hold up all the other traffic lane.

It's the U turn in the next 10km lane

Ericthai, thank you for your response. The police did provide me with a written receipt and fined me B500 on the spot, which seemed to be an exorbitant amount for the average Thai. I knew something was up because after paying the fine, the cop tried to chase me away but I stayed and watched other drivers get charged a variety of fines for what appeared to be the same offense. I'll take your suggestion to offer B100 and say I need to go to an ATM for more. Actually, I'm not white, I'm Asian and fairly dark skinned from living in Hawaii and surfing all my life. However when riding, I wear a full face helmet, sunglasses and gloves so there is no way the police could know what flavor I am. But I think the riding gear is probably just as much of a giveaway.

What would happen if I didn't have any money and couldn't pay anything? I'm sure that happens with the Thais. Watched several negotiate with the cops and borrow money from their passengers.

Its a relief to know that there isn't some kind of traffic record, unlike the US system where a driver would accrue points, enough points in a year and they jerk your license. Getting the license was a hard fought exercise. 6.5 hours at the Land Transportation office, an experience I never want to repeat.

Even at that B500 is not really that significant but it's still irksome to be charged more just because they think I can pay it. Guess the cops had an after work beer (or two) on me.

Edited by koolaukid

I've been riding a motorbike in Bangkok almost daily for over 10 years and have been pulled over exactly one time (for driving in the right lane) despite driving trough hundreds of checkpoints over the years. Thai law stipulates that motorbikes must drive in the far left lane, except to pass. Basically, you need to know where the checkpoints are likely to be, and be sure that you're in the left lane in those places, although checkpoints aren't always in the same places. Otherwise, drive in whatever lane you want to as long as you're fairly certain there are no checkpoints in the area.

Motorbikes must have their headlight on at all times (even during the day), not having your headlight on is a good way to get pulled over, and of course not wearing a helmet.

The post that said there isn't a point system in Thailand is badly mistaken, read here:

http://www.siam-info.com/english/driving_licence.html

Also, 200 Baht is the "standard" amount of tea money to offer the police, 100 Baht will get you nowhere. Also be discreet when offering and handing over any money.

I've been riding a motorbike in Bangkok almost daily for over 10 years and have been pulled over exactly one time (for driving in the right lane) despite driving trough hundreds of checkpoints over the years. Thai law stipulates that motorbikes must drive in the far left lane, except to pass. Basically, you need to know where the checkpoints are likely to be, and be sure that you're in the left lane in those places, although checkpoints aren't always in the same places. Otherwise, drive in whatever lane you want to as long as you're fairly certain there are no checkpoints in the area.

Motorbikes must have their headlight on at all times (even during the day), not having your headlight on is a good way to get pulled over, and of course not wearing a helmet.

The post that said there isn't a point system in Thailand is badly mistaken, read here:

http://www.siam-info.com/english/driving_licence.html

Also, 200 Baht is the "standard" amount of tea money to offer the police, 100 Baht will get you nowhere. Also be discreet when offering and handing over any money.

so the answer is you were driving in the outside lane. of course safety and prudence dictate that is not always the case

Just to add to that...There is no "penalty points" system in Thailand as far as I know. I stand corrected if it's on the way in.

Edited by dotpoom

Ericthai, thank you for your response. The police did provide me with a written receipt and fined me B500 on the spot, which seemed to be an exorbitant amount for the average Thai. I knew something was up because after paying the fine, the cop tried to chase me away but I stayed and watched other drivers get charged a variety of fines for what appeared to be the same offense. I'll take your suggestion to offer B100 and say I need to go to an ATM for more. Actually, I'm not white, I'm Asian and fairly dark skinned from living in Hawaii and surfing all my life. However when riding, I wear a full face helmet, sunglasses and gloves so there is no way the police could know what flavor I am. But I think the riding gear is probably just as much of a giveaway.

What would happen if I didn't have any money and couldn't pay anything? I'm sure that happens with the Thais. Watched several negotiate with the cops and borrow money from their passengers.

Its a relief to know that there isn't some kind of traffic record, unlike the US system where a driver would accrue points, enough points in a year and they jerk your license. Getting the license was a hard fought exercise. 6.5 hours at the Land Transportation office, an experience I never want to repeat.

Even at that B500 is not really that significant but it's still irksome to be charged more just because they think I can pay it. Guess the cops had an after work beer (or two) on me.

If you don't have any money the bike or the licence stays with the cops until the fine is paid up.

Always bunch of thais making calls to someone on the checkpoints asking them to bring some money. I've been sent to ATM couple of times because didn't carry any cash.

Officially you have to stay in the most right lane, personally I don't do that because its dangerous. I just accept a ticket now and then. Of course i ride a big bike and have no problem keeping up with traffic. But I would get stopped just the same way as clicks and I know it. I am breaking the law and willing to pay up.

Usually you can spot the police before a checkpoint and just go to the left side for a bit and avoid a ticket.

Most right lane???? No wonder there are so many accidents with all the other bikes riding in the left lane.

as usual with TVF .....................conflicting information from posters .

Left lane .......or ........right lane .

To my knowledge ( and I may be wrong) ...................but for driving on the left hand side of the road the rule is ..................................

ALWAYS KEEP TO THE LEFT.

This rule is supposed to apply to ALL vehicles, not just motorbikes. You keep to the left unless overtaking or turning right. This rule leaves the more central lane(s) free for the speedsters and emergency vehicles.....................also the impatient driver, the ' my car is bigger than yours' driver, the Sebastian Vettle bus drivers, the half asleep truck drivers etc etc .

Keep safe out there

there are confilcting answers here. do you ride in the most left lane or in the most right lane?

i can understand passing and U turn from right lane.

The guy who posted to drive in the "right most lane" misspoke. 100% he meant left most (I think). Scooters are supposed to stay in the left most lane. I was stopped for this.

OP: I have been stopped a few times. I think you are doing fine. You're new. As the other guys have said, it is good to have 200 baht handy. Maybe keep it in a hidden place on the scooter, or wrapped with an elastic near your license? Otherwise the cop will ask for 500, like he did to you, and has happened to me in Bkk. Other times, I was stopped and I had the 200 handy, and they were happy. Recently, the policeman wanted me to go to "the station." At which point I tried to offer him money. Perhaps not discreetly enough? Perhaps he was an honest policeman, as he told me "forget it." And sent me on my way. (I was trying to do a UTurn, which requires me to be on the right, but he didn't like that. He wanted me to wait until closer to the UTurn spot).

Most important suggestion, others have said, I try to watch the other scooters, and do what they are doing. I try to stay in the left lane if it looks clear. If I come out of the left most lane, I always try to be sort of left, in the middle lane. I only use the fast lane, right most lane, if other scooters are there. I think the police are looking for the blatant law breakers in the fast lane.

It's good you have a Thai license. But I do think the American one might serve you better. Just makes it complicated for them? Good luck! Be careful!

there are confilcting answers here. do you ride in the most left lane or in the most right lane?

i can understand passing and U turn from right lane.

Left most. The guy who wrote right lane misspoke. 100% he meant left lane.

Having little money on you will help. However if you believe the fine is too large tell the police officer that you will go to the police station for the ticket.

The fines are not different to local fines so if you believe the fine is too much ($500 baht is what a lot earn a day) then ask questions. You don't have to pay "on the spot" you can pay at the police station.

I was pulled over at a toll booth once. The officer just said drink, I said no thanks and he sent me on my way. I guess that was the Thai breathe test. I have a international license (now expired) and now a Thai license. Never had to present them though.

While some say they will always try to rip of foreigners they are just as likely to send you on the way as they don't want to have a conversation with someone that doesn't understand them. Not all the police are corrupt to the point they will target foreigners, a lot will try to explain what you did or just send you on your way.