Pongpat given two more years in prison for receiving loot

webfact

Pongpat given two more years in prison for receiving loot

1-7-2558-14-12-50-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) commissioner Pol Lt Gen Pongpat Chayaphan was handed down two more years in prison after the Criminal Court found him guilty of receiving stolen sculptures.

The prison sentence today raised his total prison term from seven cases ruled by the Criminal Court to 36 years and three months.

In the hearing today of the trial in which the former CIB chief was charged by the state prosecutor for receiving seven stolen King Rama V sculptures worth altogether 700,000 baht in two separate cases during October 9-21, 2013, Pol Lt Gen Pongpat confessed to the charges.

The court then sentenced him two years in prison for each case, or four years altogether.

But since his confession was useful for the trial, his prison sentence was then commuted by half to two years.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pongpat-given-two-more-years-in-prison-for-receiving-loot

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-01

This guy will be out in a few years - its all a smokescreen for many reasons that cannot be discussed on here.

Oh go on, give us a hint,

After all why bother coming onto a public forum an allude to having 'secret' knowledge?

After all you are suggesting they sent the head of the serious crime squad to prison, as a kind of smokescreen.

To Hide what exactly? the fact he is guilty and should be in prison?

Which he is, but its a smokescreen, so he must be innocent and this corruption thing is just a smokescreen. Now I see it all, hiding no corruption.

QED-There is no corruption in Thailand

Well done.

Edited by Manbing

Hey Manbing. Do a little research. Who is his family? Who was he doing favors for? What happened to other members of his family? Who does his fall help? Seriously. Do some research first. No one can give you the answers here as they'll be thrown in jail. All the info is out there. Hint: it's not simply about taking down a corrupt official - not even close.

I don't wanna say I feel sorry for him, he is of course massively corrupt. But he is being hung, drawn and quartered medieval style (metaphorically of course).

Just a shame that more corrupt officials aren't taken to the cleaners for just being corrupt, not having any behind the scenes political (and unspeakable) reasons for it.

The prison sentence today raised his total prison term from seven cases ruled by the Criminal Court to 36 years and three months.

In the hearing today of the trial in which the former CIB chief was charged by the state prosecutor for receiving seven stolen King Rama V sculptures worth altogether 700,000 baht in two separate cases during October 9-21, 2013, Pol Lt Gen Pongpat confessed to the charges.

The court then sentenced him two years in prison for each case, or four years altogether.

But since his confession was useful for the trial, his prison sentence was then commuted by half to two years.

This case illustrates not only how defective the Thai judicial system is, but it also conveys in a very, very clear manner just how NOT serious the big man is, when it comes to cracking down on corruption. Imagine the billions that they did not recover? I would happily spend two years in the slammer in exchange for two billion dollars stashed away in some foreign accounts. Most people would. And this is what they call deterrent? How weak. How unmanly. How unserious can you get. And this is the clean sweep they are making such a big deal about? More like a comedy routine.

What can you say?

He was a nasty piece of work who used his position to enrich himself ,friends and relatives at the expense of others.

That was until the worm turned.

I cannot say I have any sympathy.

This guy will be out in a few years - its all a smokescreen for many reasons that cannot be discussed on here.

Oh go on, give us a hint,

After all why bother coming onto a public forum an allude to having 'secret' knowledge?

After all you are suggesting they sent the head of the serious crime squad to prison, as a kind of smokescreen.

To Hide what exactly? the fact he is guilty and should be in prison?

Which he is, but its a smokescreen, so he must be innocent and this corruption thing is just a smokescreen. Now I see it all, hiding no corruption.

QED-There is no corruption in Thailand

Well done.

You're clueless about Thailand.

coffee1.gif

Clearly this is a case I do not understand the same way many here do. His original sentence was

seven years, additional charges and sentences (the latest being 2 years) have increased the

sentence length to 36 years. But many posters refer to him only having to do 2 years or less

as he is so well connected. Not sure if I have it all correct, but if he was so well connected

would he not, never been charged in the first place. He/his family have clearly fallen from

favour and with additional charges/convictions piling up, I read between the lines and get a

different story. I think this guy is never getting out. Not sure ,but that is my take. whistling.gif

More charges to come. I hear the next is not having a bell on his bicycle.

Like it. I fully intend to steal that one and pass it off as my own...

Hes in prison for corruption,

There is a history of corruption, which is being cleaned up to an extent.

If it was a smokescreen and he was due for release in a few years, why keep piling on the extra rice porridge?

Sure there is more un-prosecuted corruption out there.But this is simple crime and punishment not a smokescreen of conspiracy.

And yes we agreed the stars aligned for this conviction to occur.

If it was a smokescreen and he was due for release in a few years, why keep piling on the extra rice porridge?

Sure there is more un-prosecuted corruption out there.But this is simple crime and punishment not a smokescreen of conspiracy.

Yes you really are totally clueless about Thailand .Amazing with so many posts

Yes it's amazing with all you TV 'experts' guiding the way.

Just because there are lots of morons screaming the same idea, doesn't make it right.

Yes it's amazing with all you TV 'experts' guiding the way.

Just because there are lots of morons screaming the same idea, doesn't make it right.

The smallest amount of research would reveal why you are so clueless .its not a question of right or wrong at all. Some facts simply cannot be shown here but you should have enough brains to check them yourself without making facile and clueless comments about Thailand..