Experts split over subs plan

Lite Beer

Toy subs for tin soldiers.

Think how much good 36B baht would do for the poor people of Thailand.

Or "big boys toys".

Someone mentioned the other day about the cost of building a support base for these subs and what about training of crews and the maintenance and repair of the vessels. I would therefore suggest that the actual cost will be much much higher than 36 billion Baht.

That's ALREADY been built. They have had a submarine training division for over 10 years. Complete with submarine simulator. Not dissimilar to the RTP (Royal Thai Police) who actually do parachute jumps as part of their training, WHY! No idea!
At the risk of straying off topic, I think that the " parachute wings" worn by policemen and just about everyone else in uniform in this country are gained by making a couple of jumps from a training tower!

Well. Not sure but some Police student cadets died when their chutes didn't open.. That was a jump from a plane!

http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2014/03/31/parachutes-of-6-thai-police-cadets-fail-to-open-du/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Thai Navy would get a lot more for their investment if they purchased Littoral Combat Ships which are capable of doing at least three times more things than any sub and do them much better. They are equipped with helicopters, have very strong anti-submarine capabilities, anti-ship capabilities, anti-aircraft capabilities, ability to operate in shallow waters, launching assault boats for combat or rescue operations, can cover and patrol a much larger area than any sub, and two of these LCS ships would cost a little less than three of the Chinese subs but cover a much wider Spence of sea.

I would like to add that just one of the LCS ships could easily sink all three of the Chinese subs. The LCS ships also have to option to operate in waters to shallow for subs to track or follow them.

Except for the Chinese Communist insurgency in Thailand from the 1960'2-1080's and the current Malay-Thai insurgency, it has been the Royal Thai Military that has proven to be the greatest threat to the Thai People's sovereignty and a democratic society.

Notably the NRC has no reform plans for the military organization that repeatedly has shown no respect for the nation's constitutions nor the rights and liberties of its people. Why should the Thai taxpayers be burdened with the cost of expensive weapon systems only to be used against them?

Hey, Generals/Admirals.

Scupper the plans.

Use a fraction of the 36 Billion for better international internet connection to the outside world, invest in more fibre-optics in major cities, attract high-technology industries to Thailand as wages increase and low-cost jobs go to Indonesia.

Do that, and I will pin medals on your chests myself.

Actually..where all stupid and the Thai navy top men have got it right...there going to use them in the battle against illegal fishing..allegedly ...in the UK you often hear stories of fishing boats pulled and sometimes sunk by what could only be subs...So the navy's cunning plan..sail around the Gulf of Thailand and catch the nets and drag down all the illegal fishing boats and crew...problem solved and don't need to use any ordinance either...why didn't the brains on here think of that!!

Kind of a hair brained idea but read it anyway. Love your avatar looks like my g/f
It was sarcastic ..sorry

They should equip their only aircraft carrier HTMS Chakri Naruebet,with long ranges helicopters.
That would be real modern instrument.
Not only with submarine detection systems,
Not only with - go - to - target - distroy- systems.

- High resolution photography.
- Boat traffic control systems
- Biological measuring sensors of all kinds

I hope that they do not buy this useless and expensive submarines

Edited by tomacht8

All Thai politicians, when being sworn in to office, get dazzling white navy-like uniforms to wear - and the uniforms all have fruit-salad commemorations, medals, sashes, epulets, and the ubiquitous 'flying wings.' That way, the general public will see the photo, and know they're all honest, trustworthy, wise, brave and great problem solvers.

The Thai Navy would get a lot more for their investment if they purchased Littoral Combat Ships which are capable of doing at least three times more things than any sub and do them much better. They are equipped with helicopters, have very strong anti-submarine capabilities, anti-ship capabilities, anti-aircraft capabilities, ability to operate in shallow waters, launching assault boats for combat or rescue operations, can cover and patrol a much larger area than any sub, and two of these LCS ships would cost a little less than three of the Chinese subs but cover a much wider Spence of sea.

I would like to add that just one of the LCS ships could easily sink all three of the Chinese subs. The LCS ships also have to option to operate in waters to shallow for subs to track or follow them.

Bob, the trouble with your post and ideas is that they make damned good sense.

This is not something, apparently, the Thai Navy is prepared to use.

Common sense is not on the academy curriculum.

The admirals want their subs and daddy will buy them for them, otherwise there will be gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair and pouting..

If experts can't work out that in terms of naval strategic capability a submarine is worthless to Thailand, they can't be very expert.

They would be destroyed 5 miles from port.

I remember once being told, in a military context, that an ex is a hasbeen, and a spurt is what happens when you put a drip under pressure!:)

The best non-nuclear subs are German and Swedish but as stated by the navy in another OP. "We choose Chinese submarines as they are cheaper than German or Swedish submarines..." I guess that the real reason is that its easier to get kickbacks in China than in Europe.

"On the other hand, if managed wisely, the submarine purchase could even help lift technical knowledge of Thai human resources, considering the advanced technology equipped in the Chinese submarines. And developing labour skills will be, indeed, beneficial to the Thai economy," he said."

Training a couple hundred guys about submarines will (jing jing) help the economy of 70 million.

clap2.gif cheesy.gif clap2.gif cheesy.gif