The Hand Flap

grumpyoldman

"just use your signal !"

Not correct. In a previous life one of my many accomplishments was that of a driving instructor. When I did the course we were told to use not only the "signal lights"...but also to use "hand signals" (at the same time) ....and that is in a car. All the more so on a motorbike, I would imagine and certainly on a push bike.

This post sort of makes my "out there post of the year award".

dotpoom "in your previous life" "accomplishment, driving instructor(?)" and you taught people to use hand signals whilst in the car?

So in your previous life you were Indian from Viralands, yes?

Edited by grumpyoldman

• 1 month later...

"just use your signal !"

Not correct. In a previous life one of my many accomplishments was that of a driving instructor. When I did the course we were told to use not only the "signal lights"...but also to use "hand signals" (at the same time) ....and that is in a car. All the more so on a motorbike, I would imagine and certainly on a push bike.

This post sort of makes my "out there post of the year award".

dotpoom "in your previous life" "accomplishment, driving instructor(?)" and you taught people to use hand signals whilst in the car?

So in your previous life you were Indian from Viralands, yes?

Possibly, but obviously not a muslim. biggrin.png

Westerners that don't wear helmets are my pet hate, especially the ones taking their kids to school in the mornings at say....Kajonkiet in Kathu...setting a piss poor example to the young ones.

With the law being virtually non existent here people do what they like, doing what you like sometimes ends in disaster, my pet hate is westerners not wearing a top in shops and restaurants!

Westerners that don't wear helmets are my pet hate, especially the ones taking their kids to school in the mornings at say....Kajonkiet in Kathu...setting a piss poor example to the young ones.

With the law being virtually non existent here people do what they like, doing what you like sometimes ends in disaster, my pet hate is westerners not wearing a top in shops and restaurants!

I'm with you beechbum, "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

As far as helmets go, I went 5-7 years without and then just figured odds-and-probabilities of an accident will catch up so I wear the thing 98% now.

As far as helmets go, I went 5-7 years without and then just figured odds-and-probabilities of an accident will catch up so I wear the thing 98% now.

The quote about no tops was from me not from beachbum! I wear a crash helmet 100% of the time, had I not been wearing a helmet recently I would be either dead or in intensive care!

The quote about no tops was from me not from beachbum! I wear a crash helmet 100% of the time, had I not been wearing a helmet recently I would be either dead or in intensive care!

O.k., whoops (!), misinterpreted the text blocks. Yes, best to wear a helmet as well as proper footwear. Went down in sandals one time and sanded my ankle to the bone.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the number of times I have been passed at high speed by a westerner on a motorbike on my left side is outrageous. This was when there was plenty of room to pass on the right.

When you hear a bike behind you, the natural reaction is to ease to the left.

Now that headlights on motorbikes are always on, at least the squid sign is now extinct......

Go back to school, it is legal to pass a car on the Lhs in Thailand illegal to pass on the RHS if on a motor bike, you know it all know nothing people should be living else where.

Here are the Thai rules for over-taking.

2. Overtaking and Passing

Section 44 (500B)

A driver who wishes to overtake or pass another vehicle in the roadway with no traffic lane mark shall use sound signals loud enough to let the driver who is driving the vehicle in front know of his intention and, after the driver of the vehicle in front gives a responding signal pursuant to Section 37 c. or Section 38 c.(left blinker or corresponding hand signal), may proceed to overtake.

[When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly.]

Section 45 (400-1000B)

[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn

b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

Section 46 (400-1000B)

[The driver shall not overtake another vehicle when:

a. driving up a slope, bridge or curve, except where there is a traffic sign permitting overtaking

b. within a distance of 30m from a pedestrian crossing, junction, circle (rotary) or railroad crossing

c. the fog, rain or dust prevents visibility of 60m

d. entering a congested area or safety zone.]

Section 47 (400-1000B)

No driver of a vehicle shall drive his vehicle to overtake or pass another vehicle by, in doing so, going beyond the roadway's middle line that is marked or where there is a traffic sign indicating a danger area or an area in which carefulness is required on the roadway.

In the event of the left-hand side traffic lane is obstructed while the traffic lane on the right-hand side has sufficient space, a driver of a vehicle may avoid the obstructions by driving his vehicle beyond the roadway's middle line prescribed by the traffic officer in so far as he does not obstruct the traffic of the vehicles moving in the opposite direction.

Section 48 (400-1000B)

[No driver shall enter the bus lane in order to overtake another vehicle, except when there's an obstacle ahead or guided by a police officer.]

Section 49 (1000B)

[upon receiving a signal for overtaking from a vehicle immediately behind, on condition that the road ahead is safe and there's no vehicle coming from the opposite direction, the driver shall display a responding signal (left blinker or corresponding hand signal) and keep the vehicle close to the left to let the vehicle behind to pass.]

I believe this is the law for cars and not the law for motorcycles..

Police routinely fine motorcycles for overtaking on the right and I just won a court case where it hinged on was I undertaking correctly in the left hand lane (I wasnt actually but hey)..

I have never seen the law.. Only know that police, lawyers, and law courts all firmly stated that motorcycles MUST undertake and not leave the left hand unless its obstructed. I think thats crazy, but thats how the police all around the country apply it.

I thought this was about the bass-ackwards hand flutter Thai do to beckon you that looks like a wave off. First time I saw that was from a cop. I thought he was motioning me to leave and was not amused when I did just that.

Yes, some hand flaps can be misleading, however, there is no mistaking the "right arm flap" which is so eloquently displayed in this clip by a Thai lady in Bangkok. Note, her not so subtle "right foot flap" as well. biggrin.png

I thought this was about the bass-ackwards hand flutter Thai do to beckon you that looks like a wave off. First time I saw that was from a cop. I thought he was motioning me to leave and was not amused when I did just that.

Yes, some hand flaps can be misleading, however, there is no mistaking the "right arm flap" which is so eloquently displayed in this clip by a Thai lady in Bangkok. Note, her not so subtle "right foot flap" as well. biggrin.png

That's the assault assisted hand flap. Note how the assailant stops immediately when the police appear

Did you watch the whole video, the motorcycle skidding on gravel and truck running over his head was brutal. Really makes me think twice about using my scooter.

Edited by FBlue72

That's the assault assisted hand flap. Note how the assailants stops immediately when the police appear.

I'll take a "right arm flap" over a "right index finger trigger flap" any day. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan