American and Vietnamese War Veterans Lead the Way in Reconciling Former Enemies

American and Vietnamese War Veterans Lead the Way in Reconciling Former Enemies

By THOMAS FULLER

DA NANG, Vietnam — The American and Vietnamese war veterans, former enemies, sat together at wooden picnic tables eating hamburgers and chili while Creedence Clearwater Revival played in the background.

Do Hung Luan, a former Vietcong fighter who was imprisoned and tortured for nine years by America’s South Vietnamese allies, ate a burger and chicken wings with chopsticks.

Next to him was Nguyen Tien, whose wooden leg replaces the one he lost to American artillery during the war.

“I can feel the friendship,” a smiling Mr. Tien said, surrounded by American veterans who seemed three times his size. “We have closed the door on the past.”

The Fourth of July party, steps away from what American soldiers used to call China Beach, was organized by Larry Vetter, a Texan and retired Marine who moved here three years ago to live among some of the people he was once supposed to kill.

“Everybody is so friendly,” Mr. Vetter said. “It’s almost mind-boggling how much they accept Americans.”

I visited Vietnam 3 times in the late 90's and early 2000 with my Viet vet brother. Visited many Australian conflict sites and later, US marine sites around Danang, Hue and Khe San and so on. All villagers near these sites and former Viet Cong soldiers were most friendly. "American war was so long ago". It was only in Hanoi and surrounds that anyone showed some hostility to our group. (most of these were bomb victims or their families) Many Americans are reluctant to travel overseas, but Vietnam is a destination no tourist should fear.

“Everybody is so friendly,” Mr. Vetter said. “It’s almost mind-boggling how much they accept Americans.”

Was with some angst that I visited both Saigon and Nha Trang after 40 years...was such a pleasant experience...being in Vietnam was a treat...

The people seemed so appreciative of visitors...Americans included...that it left a lasting impression...