Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

I have lived in Bangkok for more than thirty happy years and whilst it is true that costs have gone up considerably I still feel that in many areas you still get very good VALUE for money in Thailand. Sure it is not true in every area but I think it is generally true that if you spend you get something for your baht. I am effectively retired in my mid fifties but have a wife and young kid to support. I have a hobby that takes a lot of my time but costs me very little, various investments of course that bring in some money, but I would say I live an excellent if moderately careful existence that has cost me an average of 45,000 per month in the two years since I quit my job. I dont pay rent, dont eat out expensively and hardly drink, but I do travel abroad quite a bit. I really hate wasting money and keep a close tally on my expenditure but things like condo fees, electric bills and the high cost of supermarkets in Thailand can certainly eat into one's budget.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guzzi850m2, why will it be cheaper to live in Thailand after you retire?

Can't speak for Guzzi850m2 , or even others, BUT as for me

NO INSURANCE

If I lived in the states it would be mandatory for me to have health insurance (Obumacare) ....Cost $12,000/year (30,000 Baht/month)....been living in Thailand for over 10 years now (retired) and have in savings now over $100,000 ....now, I understand that this is not for everyone but I was in good health and still am....future? but have a nice nest egg that should take care of any situation. Also health care costs are a LOT cheaper than in the US

NO HOUSE PAYMENT

Bought a house 10 years ago for less than what a downpayment on a typical house in the US was, SO no house payment, no taxes, lower utility bills etc .....If I was in the US I would be making a house payment of at least $2000/month (30,000 Baht/month...ie mortgage payment), Paying property taxes of approx $6000/yr (10,000 baht/month)

As for all other expenses many are cheaper or non-existant (ie...US need cable/dish for TV (cost about $100/month or 3000 baht/month)...Thailand ...no cost as use IPM dish , Garbage collection (US....$50/month or 1500 Baht/month).....Thailand no cost as use public bins, Water (US ....$150/month or 4500 baht/month) Thailand cost is about $10/month or 300 Baht, Sewer fee (US ...$75/month or 2250 Baht/month) Thailand no cost as on septic system. And the list goes on...........

I'm sure there are other savings but I think you get the point ....by living in Thailand I save over 80,000/Baht month AND at a HIGHER standard than in the US (live on the beach)

(NOTE: Used 30 Baht to the dollar as opposed to the actual rate of 32.8 to the dollar)

No insurance?

A big risk - my insurance $1300 a year.- has a $1000 excess - so you don't claim for minor things .

My worry is cancer- have had friends who were ultimate fitness freaks- who died at quite an early age.

We live in the tropics malignant skin cancers- a real danger- the incidence is increasing year on year .

I don't really worry too much- BUT if Heaven forbid you need treatment for something serious- your nest egg will disappear in a puff of smoke.

Really?????

Do you happen to know the cost of treating cancer? here in Thailand?

Feel free to give me the specific's as I am very interested.

one good car accident can wipe your savings out in an instant

AND my life.....so what good would insurance be then.

I obviously look at insurance different than a lot of folks here....buying insurance is like betting on the fact that you are going to be seriously ill. I'd rather bet on the fact that I'm am going to be healthy (and take steps to that end) BUT if something happens I have more than enough to take care of it.

no you dont.

Well, as always, saying things you know nothing about.whistling.gif good luck with thatcheesy.gif

Only things that are cheap in Thailand is : Rent, Coke (for drinking), Gas for bike and Meat (only chicken and pork - beef expensive) ...

My homecountry is considered one of the most expensive in the World but many things like fruit, beer etc. are way cheaper than here

btw lots of vegetable are cheaper in Makro than in local markets - Wonder why really ...

one good car accident can wipe your savings out in an instant

AND my life.....so what good would insurance be then.

I obviously look at insurance different than a lot of folks here....buying insurance is like betting on the fact that you are going to be seriously ill. I'd rather bet on the fact that I'm am going to be healthy (and take steps to that end) BUT if something happens I have more than enough to take care of it.

no you dont.

Well, as always, saying things you know nothing about.whistling.gif good luck with thatcheesy.gif

seen it with my own eyes sonny. you have no idea what you are babbling on about

no you dont.

AND exactly what is it that you have seen "with your own eyes"!

I was only posting about my "personal" situation which you've seem to have taken offense to.....and YOU babbled on without any supportive facts ....So please share with us your wisdom whistling.gif and preferrably without "babbling" as you are obviously prone to do

Edited by beachproperty

no you dont.

I was only posting about my "personal" situation which you've seem to have taken offense to.....and YOU babbled on without any supportive facts ....So please share with us your wisdom whistling.gif and preferrably without "babbling" as you are obviously prone to do

your personal situation would be no different than any others in a sufficiently serious medical situation. I have witnessed what can happen and youre paltry savings wont cut it pal. but hey, go for it. I would enjoy your surprise! lol

no you dont.

your personal situation would be no different than any others in a sufficiently serious medical situation. I have witnessed what can happen and youre paltry savings wont cut it pal. but hey, go for it. I would enjoy your surprise! lol

In the usa they treat in a life threatening situation like accident or heart attack, then bill you later.

Pretty easy to wipe this out with a bankruptcy and start again in 7 years, or just move to another country.

If i were skint i would rather be in the usa in the event of a medical emergency.

Ahhhh ...."a sufficiently serious medical situation"....and what are the odds of that occurring ....1000 to 1? Higher probably! And as I said, without babbling on as you do, Pal....that's a bet I'm willing to take.tongue.png

Ahhhh ...."a sufficiently serious medical situation"....and what are the odds of that occurring ....1000 to 1? Higher probably! And as I said, without babbling on as you do, Pal....that's a bet I'm willing to take.tongue.png

and I am overjoyed that you are pal, especially with the accident statistics in thailand being what they are.

and I am overjoyed that you are pal, especially with the accident statistics in thailand being what they are.

AGAIN.....talking out you rear,,,,,

And exactly what are those statistics? What area has the highest percentage of said "accidents"? What percentage of those "accidents" involve a motorcycle (don't have one)?

Please, pal, if you are going to post ....try and be helpful rather than babbling on and being negative all the time.

Really?????

Do you happen to know the cost of treating cancer? here in Thailand?

Feel free to give me the specific's as I am very interested.

Spinal cancer 1M baht a year, each year you survive unlikely to be cured.

Stomach cancer, 400,000 baht, you live or you die.

Skin cancer, 600 baht, gone in 60 seconds.

Just 3 examples from me and my pals in CM.

And exactly what are those statistics? What area has the highest percentage of said "accidents"? What percentage of those "accidents" involve a motorcycle (don't have one)?

Please, pal, if you are going to post ....try and be helpful rather than babbling on and being negative all the time.

google's your friend son. do your own legwork. helping someone like you is not on my priority list

google's your friend son. do your own legwork. helping someone like you is not on my priority list

Have googled it ....and I know! just was wondering if you're too lazy to back up your posts.....and guess what Pal ....you are!

i quit smoking , cut back drinking , limit myself to only 2 hunnies a week (meals,lodging incl.) , sold car , eat street food 14 times a week . walk or taxi everywhere , eat or drink only the best , still better than home .

Ignore the naysayers, 100k usd in liquid is more than enough to take care of medical emergencies in Thailand. Since you have the money in cash, you have much higher chances of negotiating the price down. In Thailand you can actually haggle hospital bills.

Medical care is actually very cheap here when you come to think of it.

If something serious comes up you can fly to Cuba in the worst case scenairo and receive your treatment there lol.

Edited by Lukecan

Have googled it ....and I know! just was wondering if you're too lazy to back up your posts.....and guess what Pal ....you are!

of course I am pal. you're hardly worth the effort, now are you? lol

Guzzi850m2, why will it be cheaper to live in Thailand after you retire?

Can't speak for Guzzi850m2 , or even others, BUT as for me

NO INSURANCE

If I lived in the states it would be mandatory for me to have health insurance (Obumacare) ....Cost $12,000/year (30,000 Baht/month)....been living in Thailand for over 10 years now (retired) and have in savings now over $100,000 ....now, I understand that this is not for everyone but I was in good health and still am....future? but have a nice nest egg that should take care of any situation. Also health care costs are a LOT cheaper than in the US

Dunno how old you are but reckless to be here without insurance if you're over 50.

Sure, you might be a gym rat and really conscientious about your diet but then again, you might be a smoker, heavy drinker and sit around all day

US$100K self-insurance is fine if you're in your 30s or 40s but you'd be surprised how much a triple bypass and a few weeks in a private hospital room can run you

...and as I said I have over $100,000 in investments (OVER being the key word) to cover contingencies in case of medical emergencies.....AND if none ...well then ...I'm money ahead. tongue.png

Yeah it'd be interesting to see you strapped to a gurney on the blower to your broker/realtor organising the sale of your investments to cover life-saving surgery laugh.png

Forced sale value's a bitch

He states that he saves over 80k baht a month. You guys are mistaking him for a pensioner whos pension is around 30-40k baht a month. This guy reels in at least 120-130k baht a month. I wouldn't worry about anything if I were in his shoes, who cares if his savings get wiped out? He still has a very decent steady income. Some penny pinchers here are attacking him out of envy smile.png

He's taking a risk, I say its very well worth it.

Edited by Lukecan

He states that he saves over 80k baht a month. You guys are mistaking him for a pensioner whos pension is around 30-40k baht a month. This guy gets lat least 120-130k baht. I wouldn't worry about anything if I were in his shoes, who cares if his savings get wiped out? He still has a very decent steady income. Some penny pinchers here are attacking him out of envy smile.png

you dont earn income in an icu

Only things that are cheap in Thailand is : Rent, Coke (for drinking), Gas for bike and Meat (only chicken and pork - beef expensive) ...

My homecountry is considered one of the most expensive in the World but many things like fruit, beer etc. are way cheaper than here

btw lots of vegetable are cheaper in Makro than in local markets - Wonder why really ...

I buy australian grass fed rump steak at foodland for Bt630.00 per KG.

I quick google for meat prices australia throws up many links but the one at the top is called "coles" and they list grass fed rump steak at @21.00 a kg.

Bt.630 into AUD = $24.80.

So the aussie rump is Bt.96 more expensive here..(how does that work)...... not what I call an expensive markup up though.

Edited by Don Mega

He states that he saves over 80k baht a month. You guys are mistaking him for a pensioner whos pension is around 30-40k baht a month. This guy gets lat least 120-130k baht. I wouldn't worry about anything if I were in his shoes, who cares if his savings get wiped out? He still has a very decent steady income. Some penny pinchers here are attacking him out of envy smile.png

And what are the chances of an ecu as opposed to sayyy an heart attack?

We're all gonna die in one way or the other. If you get cancer at an old age you're screwed anyway, I don't think you'll be in a position to care about money tbh lol.

Yeah it'd be interesting to see you strapped to a gurney on the blower to your broker/realtor organising the sale of your investments to cover life-saving surgery laugh.png

Forced sale value's a bitch

Sad to see posters who are jealous of someone who is doing well....healthwise and monetarily. Although I do have investments in real estate (US and Thailand), I also have stocks AND cash!

Sooooo....sorry to say ...there will be no forced sales of my investments. Must be disappointing to you less privileged who did not work hard doing your young years so that you could enjoy life in the later years.whistling.gif

That said ....why would you find it "interesting" to see me bad off? why would anyone wish that on someone else? Masochistic?

I would

a lot of that could be weeded out id say at least 30k coffee gifts alcohol donations, health insurance( hes 33 yrs old?)

So?

33 year olds get ill and have accidents too, bro. You do NOT want to be without health insurance here.

Won't be expensive for someone that young but the bill for even a short hospitalization here can make one's eyes water.

On the subject of living costs, I compare my outgoings in Asoke, Bangkok to those in West London and difference is night & day. Literally 40% of the cost - that's a no-brainer for me.

My spend here is 40K rent (large condo, Asoke), 10K utilities, 3.5K health insurance and 15-20K food. Booze, negligible; No stipends; no hoes

For ME, Bangkok is dirt cheap

We use mattocks here, hoes are a waste of time in the pineapples bro

I would

lol

I would

lol

It's called "investments" Pal.....obvlously something you know nothing about....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by beachproperty