FAMILY CONDO WANTED

CONDO MAN

My Thai wife and I want to move out of our studio sea view beachfront condo to a two bedroom unit suitable for us plus her ten year old child who will join us.

Our needs are a convenient good Thai school accessible by public transport. Easy access into Pattaya central area.

A quiet location and quiet building/neighbours. A decent quality building well maintained and managed.

We have looked on Pratumak Hill but the lack of baht bus routes put us off. Some of the buildings are very pleasant but transport would be needed which we don't want.

If anyone has any good ideas we would love to hear them.

My Thai wife and I want to move out of our studio sea view beachfront condo to a two bedroom unit suitable for us plus her ten year old child who will join us.

Hi. Make it easy: make it the Thai way:

Add 2 more walls and your studio will become a 2-bedrooms condo smile.png

Buy? Rent? Budget?

Rent for 6 or 12 months if possible.

Budget 3 to 5m THB. The right place more important than saving a few baht.

Tontraveller. We looked at Chateau Dale this morning and were impressed with the ambiance. But it was uncannily quiet and made us wonder who populates it in High Season. Bangkok weekenders or Russians or ?

Good choice and good location. http://www.diana-estate-pattaya-rentals.com/pictures.html Regards. MS>

Thank you Moonseeker.

We had a look and were impressed with the buildings but not the road access. Soi Buacow takes some navigating to stay safe.

We were told that nothing is available through high season as the units have all been re-booked. That shows it is well liked by many customers but its position in the heart of the night life area may not be good for a ten year old girl.

In my next life if I am a single man I will give it a try.

Buy? Rent? Budget?

Budget 3 to 5m THB. The right place more important than saving a few baht.

Tontraveller. We looked at Chateau Dale this morning and were impressed with the ambiance. But it was uncannily quiet and made us wonder who populates it in High Season. Bangkok weekenders or Russians or ?

I myself live in Chateaudale/Thabali , adjacent on Chateaudale.

Live here from day one, and can not think of a better place to stay.

Our condos are for most part owned by Western people. Mostly Aussies,US,GB,Belgians,Italians,Dutch and Scandinavian. .

As far as I know, we have only one Russian co-owner so far.

We do have some families with kids and very few Bangkok weekenders..

PM me if you want additional info..

Buy? Rent? Budget?

Budget 3 to 5m THB.

I dont get it. Rental would be perhaps 20-30 thousand Baht per month depending on size etc. 3 - 5 MB is a purchase price.

Obvious places to look at are the View Talays 1, 2, 5, 7 (not 3 which is way off the main road), Jomtien Complex, and maybe the View Talay Residences (but watch our for noise from the markets and bar areas).

Rental in Chateau Dale is OK and the tower buildings have many 2-bed units but if buying there may be problems with the ratio. May be much more noisy if the screaming hordes move into Grande Caribbean.

Also Axis, Royal Hill and Grande Caribbean itself. All should have some decent units in them, though you would need to pay attention to possible traffic noise.

Edited by KittenKong

I wonder if you know what you are talking about.

Recommending Axis,Royal Hill and Grande Caribbean , all on the busy main Thappraya road which is indeed pretty noisy, comparing with the Chateaudale compound , cpmfortably shielded from all the noise by the Plaza restaurants on roadside ..

Our condo man knows what he was talking about, because he was indeed pleasantly surprised how quiet the area was...

Buy? Rent? Budget?

Budget 3 to 5m THB.

I dont get it. Rental would be perhaps 20-30 thousand Baht per month depending on size etc. 3 - 5 MB is a purchase price.

Obvious places to look at are the View Talays 1, 2, 5, 7 (not 3 which is way off the main road), Jomtien Complex, and maybe the View Talay Residences (but watch our for noise from the markets and bar areas).

Rental in Chateau Dale is OK and the tower buildings have many 2-bed units but if buying there may be problems with the ratio. May be much more noisy if the screaming hordes move into Grande Caribbean.

Also Axis, Royal Hill and Grande Caribbean itself. All should have some decent units in them, though you would need to pay attention to possible traffic noise.

Just make sure that you get a copy of the last AGM minutes along with the financials and a copy of the last committee meeting. You will then find out a lot about the 'wonderful' condo you are considering. If either of those are missing..... Carry on walking.

I wonder if you know what you are talking about.

Recommending Axis,Royal Hill and Grande Caribbean , all on the busy main Thappraya road which is indeed pretty noisy, comparing with the Chateaudale compound , cpmfortably shielded from all the noise by the Plaza restaurants on roadside ..

Our condo man knows what he was talking about, because he was indeed pleasantly surprised how quiet the area was...

Wonder away.

I specifically mentioned the possibility of road noise as something to be aware of but all those buildings (with the exception of Royal Hill) also have units that are away from the road and so may not suffer from it at all.

Besides which some people arent concerned about road noise but dont like people noise, and Thais often get very spooked in quiet places. Indeed your condo man mentioned it being "uncannily quiet" in Chateau Dale which to me isn't the same as being "pleasantly surprised". So it's all down to personal preference. No skin off his nose to go and look at some units in those other buildings and if he doesn't like them that's fine too.

Just make sure that you get a copy of the last AGM minutes along with the financials and a copy of the last committee meeting. You will then find out a lot about the 'wonderful' condo you are considering. If either of those are missing..... Carry on walking.

Good advice for buyers though should not be a problem for tenants (I'm still not sure whether the OP is looking to buy or rent).

Just make sure that you get a copy of the last AGM minutes along with the financials and a copy of the last committee meeting. You will then find out a lot about the 'wonderful' condo you are considering. If either of those are missing..... Carry on

Good advice for buyers though should not be a problem for tenants (I'm still not sure whether the OP is looking to buy or rent).

Thanks again everyone who has replied.

I appreciate your knowledge and advice. Our intention is to rent for six or even twelve months if necessary to make sure the place works for us. This also has the advantage of not buying into a troubled building. I have heard many stories about management scams and poor maintenance of facilities and hope to avoid such problems by testing the place first.

The purchase budget is THB 3/5m but if something suitable crops up at a firesale price then all the better.

We will check out all the buildings suggested and consider school access/transport also.

With a kid a house is more convenient in my opinion but okay you are more dependent on own transportation.

Private school for the girl? Not all of them cost an arm and a leg are are quite good but demanding, sorry a bit off topic now.

Our intention is to rent for six or even twelve months if necessary to make sure the place works for us.

Very wise.

Chateau Dale has a possible advantage that the layouts of the units allow for smaller square-ish bedrooms rather than the larger but long/thin rooms you often find in View Talay buildings. But in Chateau Dale you also tend to only get one small bathroom for a two-bed condo, whereas in the View Talays you are likely to get one decent bathroom per room.

Your 5MB budget would easily get you 3 studios knocked into a two-bed two-bath in VT2 or VT1, but you would struggle in VT5 or 7, neither of which lend themselves to making two-bed units of sensible sizes and with natural light/ventilation in all rooms.

Many exceptions to the above in all those buildings though, so you should do a lot of leg-work. Have a look at Jomtien Condotel also, which is near all the above. I've seen some nice units in there and it tends to be forgotten as it is set well back from the road.