What's the current status of Linux?

torrow

Over the years I've dabbled with Linux but have never been able to replace Windows. Also, I've never had an install that just worked, there were always problems. Considering giving it another go.

Now I've been using the Windows 10 insider for a few months - it's good but it really does need some horsepower to run it. Apparently there is no path to the actual release version of Windows 10, I have to reinstall Windows 8 and upgrade which seems like a lot of wasted work.

Finally, how is Skype for Linux? That one is a deal breaker.

Linux is great, yes there are things to overcome but same applies to win or mac!

Plenty of choice, get a few usb sticks and load a few for a test run before wiping your disk and installing properly.

Linux mint is good and popular (Ive used for years but close to jumping ship)... 2 versions, mate is classic and cinamon is shiny...take your pick.

Ubuntu now runs unity, some love, I hate. Kubuntu often called windows user friendly.

Lubuntu and xubuntu fast and simple.

Debian strong and stable but less beginner safe.

Anyone in the know will spot my prejudice to deb based systems, others can advise better on the rpm family or others...dabbled but not stuck so cant fully advise.

As for skype - use it daily and solid. Not as pretty as windows version or all of their latest features, but calls video and chat no worries. Only recent complaint is that photos shared now send me a link where I have to login with a browser to get a permanently cropped version...used to get the file to open as I liked.

Also you mentioned never being able to replace windows.... wine is ok buy been unstable for most I tried except things built specifically for wine (believe teamviewer is, works well).

But for the odd windows soft I need I use virtualbox with a lightweight win running photoshop. Unless you need to support odd hardware that will work fine.

Thanks. Really, the days are gone when you have to install loads of programs, most everything I do now is through a browser. The only things I really use are Gimp and Skype - fortunately both have windows versions.I've got an i3 laptop with 8gb of ram but it's finding Windows 10 hard work and I'm reluctant to buy a new laptop just to use on the net. I have used mint before plus some other distros - Suse, Mandarin I(is that right?) I'll try it on a stick.

I would say go for Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela LTS and let us know if you are happy with it or not.

Not sure if Skype for Linux has the same features as Skype for Windows but it will work anyway, used it before without problems.

Keep us up to date!

I would say go for Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela LTS and let us know if you are happy with it or not.

Not sure if Skype for Linux has the same features as Skype for Windows but it will work anyway, used it before without problems.

Keep us up to date!

Ok. I'm using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela on USB stick. So far very impressed. I already use Gimp and Firefox anyway. It's so much faster than Windows 10 preview. To be fair to Windows users, Windows 10 is a big improvement on Windows 8... but needs so much horse power to run it.

Tried Skype - it's a bit clunky but it's fast to load and works fine. Made a video call, everything worked out of the box. And there are not ads like the Windows version!

Will play more. If I don't find any problems, I'll take the plunge.

Keep us up to date!

Ok. I'm using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela on USB stick. So far very impressed. I already use Gimp and Firefox anyway. It's so much faster than Windows 10 preview. To be fair to Windows users, Windows 10 is a big improvement on Windows 8... but needs so much horse power to run it.

Tried Skype - it's a bit clunky but it's fast to load and works fine. Made a video call, everything worked out of the box. And there are not ads like the Windows version!

I wasn't too happy with Mint, but it wasn't bad. Than I tried XUbuntu, which looks a bit more old fashion on the desktop but works for me better and faster.

(But have a look at the Mint Wallpapers first, there are a few very nice one, which are worth to copy).

I've been trialling Ubuntu off USB, I've never tried any other Linux builds...I've just read this from a site that details Kubuntu Xubuntu and Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is unique because it lets you install all three environments and switch between them as needed. No other operating system, including Windows or OS X, allows this kind of flexibility from the OS. You could even use more than one option depending on what you are doing at the moment. For instance, you might decide that KDE provides the customization you need to efficiently complete work projects, but the ease of Unity might be more appealing on your days off.

How do I go about doing that?

I've been trialling Ubuntu off USB, I've never tried any other Linux builds...I've just read this from a site that details Kubuntu Xubuntu and Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is unique because it lets you install all three environments and switch between them as needed. No other operating system, including Windows or OS X, allows this kind of flexibility from the OS. You could even use more than one option depending on what you are doing at the moment. For instance, you might decide that KDE provides the customization you need to efficiently complete work projects, but the ease of Unity might be more appealing on your days off.

How do I go about doing that?

Are you asking the question. "How do I go about running multiple desktop environments on my single installation of Linux"?

While you can do it, that's not recommended. Compatibility and interoperability issues with your OS kernel and installed programs are a possibility.

GNOME, Unity, Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, Xfce, and LXDE.

Sophisticated point-and-click graphical user interfaces (GUI) which are on par with the desktop environments found in Windows and Mac OS X.

To anyone interested in alternate Graphic User Interfaces or Desktop Environments I suggest they start here:

Desktop Environments for Linux

Renewable PCs | Charles E. Craig, Jr. | April 25, 2015

It’s Your Choice: The Top 10 Linux Desktop Environments

MakeUseOf | Danny Stieben | May 15, 2014

Comparison of X Window System desktop environments

Wikipedia

...then see if your favorite Linux flavor/distribution supports that GUI Environment (or find a GUI Environment and see what distributions are compatible)

Thanks yes that was my question.

I have switched from Ubuntu to Xubuntu after my post and enjoying it.

However I cant close DCOM port 1024 in GUFW, I am using this shields up link to test security https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Any ideas why?

Are you trying to close a router port, or a port on a linux pc?

On a PC, and in Linux, I think I remember setting control of the first 1024 ports are restricted to the Root User.

Update:

After using Mint 17.2 on a USB for a few days, I bit the bullet and installed it. I've installed various flavours of Linux before but never without some niggling problem which was serious enough to send me back to Windows. Mint 17.2 was so quick and painless to install, I was truly amazed. For the first time ever, I have a Linux install where every thing worked right out of the box ( including audio and webcam). Likewise, Skype worked perfectly first time.

I've been using Windows 10 Insider preview up to now. I know it's pre release but the current builds are fairly close now to the RTM build. The first thing I noticed was how much cooler my laptop is running. So far everything is fine.

Thanks

End of last week I bit the bullet and wiped my machine...so glad I did.

I went full time to linux in 2010 in what I feel were the good old days of ubuntu, with gnome2 before unity came along.

Hated unity and gnome shell was broken so eventually switched to Mint.

Kept trying cinamon to see what the hype was about but disappointed each time and caused no end of issues. Not power user or multi scren friendly in my view.

Now back to official ubuntu with ubuntu mate 15.04...as good as the old 10.04 days!

Cinamon has had issues for me with nfs over wifi and chrome crashing when ram buffers full(32GB!). All gone now, 4 days and buffers not even 25% of RAM and no crashes.

Best part was took me less than 2 hours to have the new install with all software and more importantly configs as I like (and Im fussy with my pc!)...all transferred smoothly without issue with just a little planning, backups and linux flexibility...on a different version of a different OS no less!

How would you set it up on an old netbook that is running Windows 7 now ?

Can I use Chrome , Opera and Firefox ?

Is there something like Adobe Illustrator "lite" that uses AI key commands , I only want to play around designing text and logos with an AI clone

Thanks for your help

How would you set it up on an old netbook that is running Windows 7 now ?

Can I use Chrome , Opera and Firefox ?

Is there something like Adobe Illustrator "lite" that uses AI key commands , I only want to play around designing text and logos with an AI clone

Thanks for your help

I use xubuntu on my old laptop.

With Firefox and Thunderbird

(no idea on Chrome and Opera)

I installed Virtual Box and have WinXP running in it. I guess you can use it for your Adobe, but no idea how slow it will be.

Do you think Google will ever offer an official Chrome browser to put on older machines ?

I know there are some Chrome based Linux browsers , but not official so I do not know if the Chrome add ons work

Don't know, I use Firefox which seems to run way better on the Linux machine than on Win7.

But also on Win7 it run better with uBlock add on installed. It seems many things that troubles Firefox get blocked by it.

I just googled....Chrome for Linux (and specially for Ubuntu) does exist officially.

Do you think Google will ever offer an official Chrome browser to put on older machines ?

I know there are some Chrome based Linux browsers , but not official so I do not know if the Chrome add ons work

The problem with Chrome is, it will bring an old machine to it knees because it's doing so much 'Google stuff' in the background and Google keep silently slipping in plugins you don't need (but they think you do) Also when you close Chrome, it doesn't close (ever wondered why it's so fast to open?) it hides in the background doing more Google stuff.... which is why people use Firefox and not Chrome.

The problem with Chrome is, it will bring an old machine to it knees because it's doing so much 'Google stuff' in the background and Google keep silently slipping in plugins you don't need (but they think you do) Also when you close Chrome, it doesn't close (ever wondered why it's so fast to open?) it hides in the background doing more Google stuff.... which is why people use Firefox and not Chrome.

Sorry - what a load of crap!

There is an option under System / Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.

If you mark this, Chrome will start very fast as it is still running in the background - you unmark it and close Google Chrome, all aps are closed, just check Taskmanager / Processes - no Google Chrome.

Sorry - what a load of crap!

There is an option under System / Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.

If you mark this, Chrome will start very fast as it is still running in the background - you unmark it and close Google Chrome, all aps are closed, just check Taskmanager / Processes - no Google Chrome.

Sorry - but that's a bit of a contradiction... saying that my post about Chrome running in the background was a load of crap and then in the next paragraph say it does run in the background depending on the system settings.

Chrome is unique in the way it splits off into different processes for every tab, google+ feature, or GPU function.

If you go turning on google features or special extensions then Chrome will continue to run in the background when the browser is closed.

You should take the time to understand how the apps you install operate. Don't invoke the extra features and Chrome will completely close.

Saying, "when you close Chrome, it doesn't close", isn't an absolute truth.

Also on most linux systems chromium itself is equally or more accessible than chrome.

All of the plugin compatability with slightly less of the google specific bits. Both totally customisable to disable any bits you may consider bad!

I always found Chrome way faster and less resource hungry than Firefox which gets worse with every update and specially since it is a commercial project. But I still use it, as I don't want to support Google too much.

OK so is chromium the same basic setup that they put on Chromebooks ?

I like the Chrome add ons and it seems a waste to install Linux and then use Chrome if you can install Chromium as an OS and the browser all in one

from Wikipedia
Chromium is the open-source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code.
The browsers share the majority of code and features, though there are some minor differences in features and they have different licensing.
Chromium OS is the open-source development version of Chrome OS, which is a Linux distribution designed by Google to work primarily with web applications. The operating system's architecture is three-tiered, consisting of firmware, system-level software (which includes the Linux kernel), and a window manager.
Installable, working versions of Chromium OS have been produced and made available for download primarily by hobbyists. Some devices come with Chromium OS preinstalled as their main operating system.

If you mostly interact with Internet services then the OS isn't a bad way to go.

I always found Chrome way faster and less resource hungry than Firefox which gets worse with every update and specially since it is a commercial project. But I still use it, as I don't want to support Google too much.

Firefox is a commercial product? Hmmm, I wonder why Mozilla uses a .org URL address, and accepts donations. The mystery deepens.

Firefox is a commercial product? Hmmm, I wonder why Mozilla uses a .org URL address, and accepts donations. The mystery deepens.

I have a number of .org domains and I am happy to accept donations, despite being both an individual and a company.

Mozilla however has multiple branches, both a foundation and a corporation with corresponding names. So yes it is both a non-profit and for profit.

• 3 months later...

Keep us up to date!

I completely switched to Linux Mint about 2 or even 3 years ago.

Currently running Mint 17.2 Cinnamon version on an Acer Desktop with multiple screens, also running it on a high end Sony Vaio laptop, a Macbook Air (took the crap Apple OS off and replaced it with Linux Mint) and I have Mint running on a little Zotac Zbox AD-10 plus.

Never had any problems with Mint and it just keeps getting better.

Enjoy becoming a Linux convert :-)

Archived