World's oldest man dies in Japan at the age of 112

webfact

World's oldest man dies in Japan at the age of 112

TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest man, a retired educator from Japan, has died at the age of 112.

An official from the city of Saitama said Tuesday that Sakari Momoi died from kidney failure Sunday at a nursing home in Tokyo.

Momoi was born Feb. 5, 1903, in Fukushima prefecture, where he became a teacher. He later moved to Saitama, north of Tokyo, and served as a high school principal until retirement.

Momoi was certified by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest man in August 2014, when he was 111.

Another Japanese man, 112-year-old Yasutaro Koide of Nagoya, succeeds Momoi as the world's oldest man, according to the Los Angeles-based Gerontology Research Group.

The world's oldest person is an American woman, 116-year-old Susannah Mushatt Jones of Brooklyn, New York.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-07

"Momoi was certified by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest man in August 2014, when he was 111."

So they check every single person in the world, do they? dry.png

They probably do not check young people for that record.

"Momoi was certified by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest man in August 2014, when he was 111."

So they check every single person in the world, do they? dry.png

They obviously missed the Pattaya bar stools. rolleyes.gif

This headline comes up too often to be remarkable, but it always makes me reflect that old people should have their earliest memories systematically recorded before they die - some kind of rigorous interview process. I regret not doing that to my parents. After they had gone I realised I hardly knew anything about them.

I was expecting that the old guy hailed from Okinawa. Okinawa has the greatest per capita number of centenarians in the world, so I have read.

In Okinawa's case, longevity is put down to two main things; diet and a habit called "hara hachi bu" which means "eat until you're 80% full".

The diet is lots of fresh veges, and lots of soup.