Thailand's top brass defends plan to spend 36 billion baht on submarines

webfact

If I were a political enemy of Gen. Prayut, I would be sitting on the sidelines salivating, in hopes that he would sign the purchase order... What a political victory for the opposition that would be!

But if they do buy them, I do hope that buy some spare parts and a maintenance contract. I'd hate to see them have to cannibalize two of the subs within five years so they could keep the third running. But then, the Navy must certainly be more competent than the SRT...

Regardless of which side of the political fence you were on, if you had any love for the country you would be hoping the sub deal fell through and the money was spent on the people.

Maybe you would be wondering also why the General sees fit to ignore the advice of the King, who made a public statement on the subject of submarine procurement. I thought Loyalists had a duty to follow the advice of their sovereign.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#77 If I were a political enemy of Gen. Prayut, I would be sitting on the sidelines salivating, in hopes that he would sign the purchase order... What a political victory for the opposition that would be!

Too late, the money would have already flowed into some "pockets". Therefore no gain to the ordinary citizens of Thailand.

#93 Not at night. Remember the helicopters have no lights to fly at night.

Not sure what you are alluding to here, attack helicopters? Or using own helicopters to attack? Either way helicopters can be picked up on sophisticated radar systems, lights or no lights!

Submarines for Thailand now, it was airships once! Lessons not learned? whistling.gif The Government cannot deal with some criminals and insurgents on their southern border, what hope to defend their shores?

And to hell with the people in the interim - hardly a thinking or caring Government is it?

Edited by lvr181

"Are we fighting anyone, or not?"

Good question general, so are we? Ummm, no.

Only the students at the moment, but who knows who will join them. A submarine is the perfect tool for dealing with civil unrest ;-)

Also good for taking out rogue jet-ski operators.

With the condition of the roads (which are a true defense imperative) I would suggest holding off on the mermaid hunters and invest in infrastructure. Not nearly as glamorous as laying claim "We got subs" but it would certainly benefit the country and the Thai people a heck of a lot more IMO.

geriatrickid thanks for the reply..