is it common for a lawyer to demand their female clients to sleep with them in Thailand ?

easybullet3

this question may seem strange. (but something I heard today from a thai person).

i was told that with some BIG Legal disputes in Thailand (involving a LOT of money - millions of dollars), and if the client is Female, then Lawyers may require sex from their client to help them !!

I was also told that the other party may pay this same lawyer to NOT help their client win the case.

has anyone heard of this ?

i'm sorry I cant give details or specifics of the people involved.

i CAN imagine this sort of thing happening in provinces or villages... but NOT in the big city with prestigious law firms!

Can anyone shed some light ?

Thanks

Well from my experience there is the potential for what you have proposed happening at least once, but this is hardly representative of all lawyers. And in fact would not such a demand cast a doubt to the capability of the individual that you would discontinue using their services.

And with a big case, this actually becomes more absurd, lawyers aren't a rare breed.

Speaks volumes of the state of the profession if the integrity of lawyers is so easily brought to question. And its not much of a stretch considering the Justices are by many accounts flying well below the necessary bar of unimpeachable integrity and professional standard.

Edited by jcisco

Well from my experience there is the potential for what you have proposed happening at least once, but this is hardly representative of all lawyers. And in fact would not such a demand cast a doubt to the capability of the individual that you would discontinue using their services.

And with a big case, this actually becomes more absurd, lawyers aren't a rare breed.

Speaks volumes of the state of the profession if the integrity of lawyers is so easily brought to question. And its not much of a stretch considering the Justices are by many accounts flying well below the necessary bar of unimpeachable integrity and professional standard.

yes, I agree,

it seems like a silly thing for a lawyer to expect from his client (from whom he stands to make a hefty commission). he would be risking losing his job or more.

and, as you say, the client can easily take her business elsewhere and find someone more credible.

to me, it sounds bizzare, but in thailand, anything is possible i guess.. Lol

Selling out clients is very common, more common than you think .

The sex part I would attribute it to female client NOT wanting to be sold out.

Bigger law firms may have better ethics but if sued party is big enough, they do not even need to pay, just a promise work in the future, would sell you out

Edited by konying

this question may seem strange. (but something I heard today from a thai person).

i was told that with some BIG Legal disputes in Thailand (involving a LOT of money - millions of dollars), and if the client is Female, then Lawyers may require sex from their client to help them !!

I was also told that the other party may pay this same lawyer to NOT help their client win the case.

has anyone heard of this ?

i'm sorry I cant give details or specifics of the people involved.

i CAN imagine this sort of thing happening in provinces or villages... but NOT in the big city with prestigious law firms!

Can anyone shed some light ?

Thanks

no it isn't, just another BS story

In my home country, I was a CPA.

The professional body decreed that sex with any client was a big NO NO!

Very simple?

But a CPA is an accountant not a lawyer yes ? And you were not a CPA in Thailand

So your completely off topic ?

Edited by Soutpeel

Its important knowing that not all lawyers in Thailand can go to court. An ignorant person might assume that the person who handles all his legal work. Work permits and visa stuff can represent you. Then when you need to settle a case in court....Your "lawyer" will sub contract out. Telling you that this person is a great lawyer.......A qualified lawyer will be a Thai national in almost every case. There are few exceptions. ...They will also have a Bar number. The lower the number the longer they have practiced.....It is also very much a Men's Club........

Edited by NickJ

I knew a divorce lawyer in the states and all the hot girls going thru a divorce he slept with go figure

Yeap, it's pretty common in the US. It's so common that it was even in the US TV show LA Law years ago, the sleazy divorce attorney.

As for Thailand, I doubt anyone here has any first-hand knowledge. The OP is just another newbie farang who'll believe anything.

Surprised this topic hasn't been moved to the correct forum ...............

"Ask the Lawyer" whistling.gif

(I'll just grab my coat)

yes would be interesting to get a professional opinion?

Sex will be the last thing the lawyer will ask in a case which involves millions of dollars. You can get sex from the best looking girl for 7-8k baht. Why risk millions? LOL

I never took that topic serious.....

yes, I agree,

it seems like a silly thing for a lawyer to expect from his client (from whom he stands to make a hefty commission). he would be risking losing his job or more.

and, as you say, the client can easily take her business elsewhere and find someone more credible.

to me, it sounds bizzare, but in thailand, anything is possible i guess.. Lol

What a stupid thing a lawyer to do since getting sex in LOS is easier than finding Taxi

I knew a divorce lawyer in the states and all the hot girls going thru a divorce he slept with go figure

Yeap, it's pretty common in the US. It's so common that it was even in the US TV show LA Law years ago, the sleazy divorce attorney.

As for Thailand, I doubt anyone here has any first-hand knowledge. The OP is just another newbie farang who'll believe anything.

This is sarcasm right? You couldn't believe an attorney would damage their own client's case risk being disbarred for some middle aged pussy.

This is sarcasm right? You couldn't believe an attorney would damage their own client's case risk being disbarred for some middle aged pussy.

It was a problem in the US back in the day; not sure if it's quite as prevalent today. It got so bad in California that the California bar had to pass a measure barring lawyers from demanding or coercing sex with a client. This was mostly a divorce lawyer problem.

Lukecan is right, this sort of thing would be more prevalent in the west where sex is harder to come by. In Thailand, it's so easy to find sex there's really no reason for a lawyer to be demanding it from a client, especially in lieu of cash payment.