Phuket's Ace 1 condo developer faces fraud, Computer Crime charges

webfact

Phuket's Ace 1 condo developer faces fraud, Computer Crime charges
The Phuket News

1436271743_1-org.jpg
Col Angkul Klaiklueng of the Royal Thai Police Consumer Protection Division. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: The developers of the Ace 1 Condominium project in Patong are lined up to face a slew of charges, including fraud and contravention of the Computer Crime Act, Col Angkul Klaiklueng of the Royal Thai Police Consumer Protection Division warned (July 6).

“The Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB), the Anti-Money Laundering Office and the Kathu police are now gathering evidence to build their case against the company,” he said.

“Buyers who paid deposits for units at the project are urged to file complaints at the Kathu police station within seven days, so authorities can include those complaints in their investigation.”

Col Angkul was addressing a meeting of more than 50 attendees held to discuss the ongoing investigation into the project, which after two years of investigation has seen deadline after deadline ignored without action. (See story here.)

Col Angkul told the meeting that the charges being prepared against the developer, The Nine Property (Patong) Co, included fraud, developing land without the required permits, failure to obtain a building permit, and contravention of the Consumer Protection Act.

Col Angkul also told the meeting that The Nine Property (Patong) Co had heavily promoted the project online, which means its directors may face charges under the Computer Crime Act.

So far 21 people who paid deposits for 48 units have filed complaints with the Damrongtham Centre (provincial ombudsman’s office) and with the Phuket OCPB office,” said Ampon Wongsiri, the OCPB secretary-general from Bangkok.

“The project had 183 units and half of the foreigners who bought units in the project have yet to file complaints with the police. We are contacting embassies in order to contact them,” he said.

Complaints were filed as far back as 2013, Mr Ampon noted.

“Customers each paid deposits of B400,000 per unit to the company, but the project has yet to begin,” he said, adding that the project was promoted as scheduled for completion on April 30 this year.

“The victims now want their down payments and the security deposits back.”

The OCPB contacted The Nine Property Co and asked for the deposits to be repaid to the claimants. The OCPB has yet to receive a reply from the company, Mr Ampon said.

Once criminal charges have been filed, the OCPB will file a civil suit against the developer in order to recover the deposits on behalf of the claimants, he added.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ace-1-condo-developer-faces-fraud-computer-crime-charges-53103.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-08

There are still thousands of WOW California waiting for their day in the court, many whom were left

out of pockets to the tune of thousands of baht... consumer protection in Thailand is a joke, more like

a paper, toothless tiger with very little powers once the perpetrators are gone or declared bankrupt....

There are still thousands of WOW California waiting for their day in the court, many whom were left

out of pockets to the tune of thousands of baht... consumer protection in Thailand is a joke, more like

a paper, toothless tiger with very little powers once the perpetrators are gone or declared bankrupt....

That is the same all over the world. I have used the consumer protection to get a faulty IPAD replaced (they had given me a second hand one instead of new). Consumer protection helped and it got solved.

It works but nothing works perfect.

So no hurry to even get the case started,just talk and waffle,

21 people have already complained,do the police have to

wait till all buyers complain,before they spring into action?

regards Worgeordie

If these Ace condo people follow local precedence, they'll start pointing fingers at other condo developers that ripped off consumers and say " Well if you go after us, make sure you go after them" ala the local recent illegal property crackdown. I know a few condo developments were offering "brokers" up to 25% commission to get suckers buyers in some Patong developments, now we know why.

I think the developers will be long gone before anything can happen to them why buy off the plan

Announcements like this just encourages the guilty to make haste and beat it to the border. In the end the cupboard will be bare and the so called condo owners will come up empty handed. This problem has been festering way to long and given the condo builders time to pack their bags and head for greener pastures. The headlines only make the BIB look good.

That is the same all over the world. I have used the consumer protection to get a faulty IPAD replaced (they had given me a second hand one instead of new). Consumer protection helped and it got solved.

Please tell us where your faulty IPAD was replaced. Was it in or outside LOS? In the context of the original post we're not talking about "all over the rest of the world" are we? I, and others have been 'fobbed-off' and had delaying tactics used to discourage us by both Consumer Protection offices in Pattaya and Bangkok. To say "it works but nothing works perfect" is giving credit to a system that protects those with power and influence, rather than the Consumer. If you're a non-Thai I hope you never find yourself in need of the service they claim to offer.

Edited by joebrown

The only "consumer protection" there is in Thailand you will find in a 7/11 or pharmacy, and it's clearly labeled - "Durex." biggrin.png