Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

• Miller is then seen walking back towards Chopper Bar in a visibly drunken state, according to Pol.Col. Cherdpong. Miller can be seen punching the air with his right arm.
'Visibly drunken state'!!!!!! Let's see it so we can accept this statement! Why was there only a selection of footage shown to the public? Why not this one? Maybe David was buying sunglasses because someone had stolen his or he had broken/lost them. Maybe he was punching the air because of some football game result as men are prone to do when sober as well as when drunk! GRRRR so angry about all this. Is the court supposed to believe that all the footage available has been shown by this policeman who it seems all alone to have watched hundreds of hours of it and came to his own conclusions?

So what if he was drunk, that's not a excuse for him to be brutally murdered.

Well it's significant here in this way: Thais always have to have some underlying thing to blame other than the guilty person.. And example of this is when a rapist is caught they always mentioned "He had drink some beer and felt aroused" and collectively everyone says "Oh I see it was the alcohol that cause this, not the person"..... 10 years sentence reduced to 3 and dude will be out. Bit of a generalization? Sure, it happens often enough.

Yes, I do see that a lot, the police often make these unnecessary statements and you feel like they are somehow trying to alleviate some blame:

Police said the vehicle went out of control as there had been heavy rain and low visibility......AND HE WAS DRIVING TOO FAST AND RECKLESSLY FOR THE CONDITIONS.

And yes, as mentioned above, every would be sexual deviant or thief is always quoted as having had some alcohol and lost control of their will. I always feel when i read such statements: ANd? IS this some lame excuse?

Embelleshing the idea, or underlining the fact that David was in a drunken state does in this instance almost seems like the same thing in reverse.

That wasn't my intent. My intent is to show why the police in court are saying that so willy-nilly, Same as the "punching the air" thing.... They're doing what they usually do, make up the people mind for them with creative police work.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this trial had any kind of credibility at all then the policeman who gave evidence would gladly hand over the hundreds of hours of cctv to the defense team so that they could double check it. Also it seems very fish that only a third of cameras 100/300 were working that night.. I find the story that 200 cameras simply out of action very hard to believe

Yes it is convenient that so many cameras are out of action, however in thailand 200 out of 300 of everything are usually out of action.

It has been reported that the prosecution is claiming that the "running man" in the key CCTV footage is one of the Burmese kids (both short even by Burmese standards). This is what they look like:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/07/1412694825626_wps_5_KO_TAO_THAILAND_OCTOBER_0.jpg

This is the best available picture of the running man (probably not shown in court):

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/20/article-2763277-2184B15500000578-954_634x655.jpg

See the resemblance? Me neither.

the guy is tall skinny and wearing light coloured obviously wet shorts, I have seen no footage of any of the B2 wearing light coloured shorts on that night........none, I will also bet there is much better cctv footage of this person that is not being disclosed

you know all this takes is for one person either foreign or local to say they saw nomsod that night in his bar and this case goes completely down the (deleted) further than it is already

as for the coward Sean - time for you to fess up and be a man, lets face it - your future in Thailand is gone forever, you will never set foot here again so you have nothing to protect or lose by telling what you know, do the right thing

4 days now and still not heard or seen anything coming from the court and prosecution that remotely proves the B2 are guilty..

Sketchy at best corrupt by RTP and authorities looking even more likely. This whole episode is so sad. Still no undeniable conclusive issue presented by police that can't be challenged or discounted.

Not that there is any evidence or proof the state will provide that will be offered that will not be discounted by many here, it would be unusual for a Prosecutor to start the case with their strongest evidence. The early days are about building up the foundation of the case and various facts that will (should) be tied together later.

Also. you are not there to hear everything and the people mainly volunteering information to the press are on the defense side and the news outlets covering the court case are sharing very little about the actual proceedings. Not like we are going to here gavel to gavel coverage here being the proceeding are in Thai and Thailand where trials are not covered like the west or often video taped like the US. Kind of normal for something to be big news when it happens, when there is an arrest and then when there is a verdict and then less coverage, but still some, when it comes to the appeals and commutations.

I haven't even seen the court case being covered in the Thai Language news and if it is it isn't considered much of news. Again this is SOP here but it will make the news again once there is a disposition but it won't be to the extend of the original coverage up through the arrest.

Highlighted items above

I think you'll find the prosecution started their case on the 8th July, first day of the trial with what they thought was their strongest evidence. Reports from the DNA with no means for verification and the defense still waiting for access to the promised items.

Yes very true, the court system in Thailand is designed that way so we don't hear everything and have to wait for the official transcript from the judge, thankfully we are getting reports despite this which you also are latching on to quite vigorously

The first section of the trial starting on the 8th July was covered extensively in the Thai press, for some reason they've decided to stop that blanket reporting, I have my thoughts on the reasons why as do many other people. Goes hand in hand with the lack of available translators

Could be wrong here but the first day they didn't put on DNA evidence. They would introduce this with somebody who is qualified to explain the results and likely involved in overseeing the testing. Best I recall there was only a police witness' who who were talking about the crime scene and no testimony yet connecting DNA to the Suspects

You can have all the suspicions you want about why the trial is not being covered in the Thai news but the bottom line is this is normal in Thailand.

As for latching to court reports, actually I don't but do read the news. The closest thing I have seen to a report of the testimony is what I believe was 12 hours of court session yesterday and a very brief overview of the timeline of the victims solely from Video feeds. Face it, nobody is reporting the actually trial and just giving brief snippets and this is likely because it is not easy due to translation, the restrictions on them covering the trial and it is just not common practice here.

Despite other's views, the Thai judges will do an honest and informed job in determining the verdict in this case if the defendants don't plead guilty prior to the verdict.

• Miller is then seen walking back towards Chopper Bar in a visibly drunken state, according to Pol.Col. Cherdpong. Miller can be seen punching the air with his right arm.
  • Miller arrives at Chopper Bar around 1:40 am to find it closed for the night. He then walks east into an alley, stopping to buy a pair of sunglasses at a convenience store, which he hangs on his shirt.
  • CCTV footage shows Miller turning back towards AC Bar again, which had a small crowd of foreign tourists gathered outside its entrance. Pol.Col. Cherdpong said he believes Miller was looking for a place to drink and was told by tourists that AC Bar is open late. He is seen entering the bar at around 2 am.

From Ibtimes:

David, 24, is filmed on two different cameras some half an hour apart. In the first taken at 1:27am he is alone, walking back through the busy street to the hotel where he was staying. When what appears to be a local man crosses his path they briefly shake hands as if they know each other, but then he keeps walking.

In the second piece of film, taken some 30 minutes later at 1:56am from the opposite direction of the same street, David is seen walking with two other Westerners, a man and a girl not thought to be Ms Witheridge. None of the other people have been positively identified. The film was obtained by Sky News.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-beach-murders-hannah-witheridge-4297320

On the CCTV shown in the above link David is seen at 1.56am walking down a street seemingly chatting to a group of people.Why is there no mention in the policeman's report of David walking down the street chatting with this group of people? Policeman says David entered AC bar around 2am so this was only a couple of minutes after David is with these people chatting. Who are they are what do they know? Would they be able to verify that David was in a 'visibly drunken state' ? Doesn't look in a drunken state from where I'm sitting. Also, as pointed out on another forum by an astute poster - is the policeman referring the the high five with the Asian man in the video when he says David is seen 'punching the air'?

This is why a defence team must have access to all the "material" evidence including "all" the footage from cctv cameras (not just what the prosecution has filtered out and presented in court) and all physical evidence including material used in DNA tests , both sides must be allowed to select and show what they believe will help their respective arguments in court.

Also, if the prosecution present dna tests or phone records of other people (not the accused) to the court in their case - the defence team must be given access to those also, it is as simple as that

The more i read, the more i am convinced that the RTP are attempting to manipulate evidence for their own gain.

That was a foregone conclusion from the time they were first involved, and I don't mean at the beach.

The Witheridge family said police and the court should be allowed to do their jobs during the coming months.

"Speculation, rumor and theory have been incredibly hurtful to our family and Hannah's friends, making an already unthinkable time harder to bear," said the family.

Just imagine how hurtful it would be for the accused if there was no discussion about the trial and the RTP where to get away with what is essentially murder of the scapegoats.

There are more than the 2 families of the deceased to consider, should the accused's wishes not be considered just as much?

If it was my family involved as victims I think I would want the truth, and I think I would be demanding some answers and help from the British authorities however that,s because I think the Burmese are scapegoats.

The parents of a murder victim in Pattaya who was shot dead on his bike came to Thailand and demanded answers resulting in the girlfriend being arrested and charged with murder, she had a Thai boyfriend no one knew about, who did the hit with his mate and previous to the parents coming to Thailand she was walking free.

The forensic investigation into the murder was not done properly until the parents demanded answers and then financial trails were discovered.

I khow that extreme grief is involved here but the parents of the burmese must also be going through extreme grief.

I as a parent would not want to stand by and watch an orchestrated ltany of lies lead to the death of 2 innocent boys

'Visibly drunken state'!!!!!! Let's see it so we can accept this statement! Why was there only a selection of footage shown to the public? Why not this one? Maybe David was buying sunglasses because someone had stolen his or he had broken/lost them. Maybe he was punching the air because of some football game result as men are prone to do when sober as well as when drunk! GRRRR so angry about all this. Is the court supposed to believe that all the footage available has been shown by this policeman who it seems all alone to have watched hundreds of hours of it and came to his own conclusions?

So what if he was drunk, that's not a excuse for him to be brutally murdered.

Well it's significant here in this way: Thais always have to have some underlying thing to blame other than the guilty person.. And example of this is when a rapist is caught they always mentioned "He had drink some beer and felt aroused" and collectively everyone says "Oh I see it was the alcohol that cause this, not the person"..... 10 years sentence reduced to 3 and dude will be out. Bit of a generalization? Sure, it happens often enough.

Exactly. See it all the time here. A guy murders another and the accused just says "I was enraged" like it makes it ok. Anyone here for long enough will know Thais will never take responsibility for something they've done wrong. Even when you back them into a corner they will just fall back on the "it was bad spirits" excuse or in the case of my ex wife justcome out fighting.

It makes the theory of a fire dancer being protected more plausable. Just come up with an excuse "oh! He was enraged" ,heres a few excuses and then grad a couple of burmese dogs to throw in jail and every (thai) person saves face. "No Thai could do this".......

the guy is tall skinny and wearing light coloured obviously wet shorts, I have seen no footage of any of the B2 wearing light coloured shorts on that night........none, I will also bet there is much better cctv footage of this person that is not being disclosed

you know all this takes is for one person either foreign or local to say they saw nomsod that night in his bar and this case goes completely down the (deleted) further than it is already

as for the coward Sean - time for you to fess up and be a man, lets face it - your future in Thailand is gone forever, you will never set foot here again so you have nothing to protect or lose by telling what you know, do the right thing

I would love Sean to share all he knows. Unless he is willing to do it in Koh Samui, it will have absolutely no affect on the result of the trial. Unless offered grade A security, there is no way Sean would return to Thailand, especially if it is to reveal evidence of the cover up and framing of the Burmese.

Can this be verified or do we just have their say so again?

We may not like it, but it is fairly convincing. These are not records the RTP can "lose" or "use up". I have tended to discount Nomsod as a suspect for a while, and this increases my impression that he was not involved.

I guess you did'nt see the obviously photo shopped pics of Nomsod entering the uni did you ?

No. I have seen stills from the CCTV footage claimed to be from the lobby of Nomsod's room on the morning of September 15, but recall no photo evidence presented from the university. This is interesting. Please share.

Look again ! The time and dates of the CCTV camera have plainly been doctored. Also to note other things. Furniture appearing on one pic ( which must be old) does not appear on the comparison pic. There are sevral anomalies noted in this respect. It is all clear to see in earlier pages of TV. Another thing is the way Nomsod's appearance was quickly changed so as not to appear as the "running man" in the CCTV e.g. a new smart short hair cut.

4 days now and still not heard or seen anything coming from the court and prosecution that remotely proves the B2 are guilty..

Sketchy at best corrupt by RTP and authorities looking even more likely. This whole episode is so sad. Still no undeniable conclusive issue presented by police that can't be challenged or discounted.

Where in the hell is Jeffrey Robinson when hes id so badly needed. A defensive lawyer such as him would have these RTP guys "on toast" by now.

He goes after war criminals who have the blood of thousands on their hands.

Not that there is any evidence or proof the state will provide that will be offered that will not be discounted by many here, it would be unusual for a Prosecutor to start the case with their strongest evidence. The early days are about building up the foundation of the case and various facts that will (should) be tied together later.

Also. you are not there to hear everything and the people mainly volunteering information to the press are on the defense side and the news outlets covering the court case are sharing very little about the actual proceedings. Not like we are going to here gavel to gavel coverage here being the proceeding are in Thai and Thailand where trials are not covered like the west or often video taped like the US. Kind of normal for something to be big news when it happens, when there is an arrest and then when there is a verdict and then less coverage, but still some, when it comes to the appeals and commutations.

I haven't even seen the court case being covered in the Thai Language news and if it is it isn't considered much of news. Again this is SOP here but it will make the news again once there is a disposition but it won't be to the extend of the original coverage up through the arrest.

Highlighted items above

I think you'll find the prosecution started their case on the 8th July, first day of the trial with what they thought was their strongest evidence. Reports from the DNA with no means for verification and the defense still waiting for access to the promised items.

Yes very true, the court system in Thailand is designed that way so we don't hear everything and have to wait for the official transcript from the judge, thankfully we are getting reports despite this which you also are latching on to quite vigorously

The first section of the trial starting on the 8th July was covered extensively in the Thai press, for some reason they've decided to stop that blanket reporting, I have my thoughts on the reasons why as do many other people. Goes hand in hand with the lack of available translators

Could be wrong here but the first day they didn't put on DNA evidence. They would introduce this with somebody who is qualified to explain the results and likely involved in overseeing the testing. Best I recall there was only a police witness' who who were talking about the crime scene and no testimony yet connecting DNA to the Suspects

You can have all the suspicions you want about why the trial is not being covered in the Thai news but the bottom line is this is normal in Thailand.

As for latching to court reports, actually I don't but do read the news. The closest thing I have seen to a report of the testimony is what I believe was 12 hours of court session yesterday and a very brief overview of the timeline of the victims solely from Video feeds. Face it, nobody is reporting the actually trial and just giving brief snippets and this is likely because it is not easy due to translation, the restrictions on them covering the trial and it is just not common practice here.

Despite other's views, the Thai judges will do an honest and informed job in determining the verdict in this case if the defendants don't plead guilty prior to the verdict.

I feel for these Judges, man. The prosecution rang their bell, dropped a flaming bag of dog doo on their porch. All that's left to be seen is who's boots will burn.

Highlighted items above

On the 9th July the RTP hospital doctor where they carried out the autopsy and DNA testing was on the stand.

Yes this is Thailand but does not make it ok, for a country that aspires to international values and where the victims family want a fair and transparent trial along with everybody else.

The news you read comes from the reporters in the court

No comment on your last sentence

We may not like it, but it is fairly convincing. These are not records the RTP can "lose" or "use up". I have tended to discount Nomsod as a suspect for a while, and this increases my impression that he was not involved.

I guess you did'nt see the obviously photo shopped pics of Nomsod entering the uni did you ?

No. I have seen stills from the CCTV footage claimed to be from the lobby of Nomsod's room on the morning of September 15, but recall no photo evidence presented from the university. This is interesting. Please share.

I cannot tell you exactly which page of TV but if you go back through earlier ones, it is all there for you to see.

So, IF the accused are found guilty they will be handed down the death sentence - at least that's what we hear, read and was also mentioned yesterday in "Deutsche Welle's" (Germany's voice to the world) main news block.

Just in on a German news tickers (http://www.wochenblitz.com/nachrichten/65996) today:

A Thai male, who raped ten (10) girls (minors) and murdered four (4) of them, got sentenced for life yesterday for the rape and murder of a four-year old in February 2013 in the province of Loei.

The court had solid proof of the case and found the accused guilty as charged in all points. The 38-year old man "Khun Nui" already had received a sentence in December 2013 for the rape and murder of a six-year old. The rape/murder took place in Samut Prakarns Sukhumvit Road Soi 105 (Soi Lasalle). At that time Bangkok's police chief Kamronwit Thoopkrajang explained the press, that said girl was the youngest victim of a total of ten minors since 2008. Nui admitted having searched for one victim per month. He had killed two kids in Loei and another in Bangkok's district of Bang Bon. Six of his victims survived.

The same media reported earlier on the very same case (http://www.wochenblitz.com/nachrichten/46402) with full details of the rape and murder.

The relevance to the Koh Tao case is, that the entire world is watching on how this possibly very heavily tainted case is getting dealt with. Here they talk about mandatory death sentence and, irrespective of outcome, millions of people wonder what really happened at that night on Koh Tao and it might have become simply impossible for the courts to figure that one out. A mistrial might be the court's only way out and also secure the image of the courts; the police' image on how they handle(d) the case tainted their image beyond reasonable doubt already.

All the while a very, very, very sick man is locked up in jail - again - for the rape of murder of kids and possibly will be handed down a pardon whenever pardons are handed out again. If you have death penalties, then apply these appropriately across the board, if you have evidence enough (as seems the case with this monster). Quite obviously not the same court/judge/jury.
If you have a mistrial (and Koh Tao might be a prime example for the court) then .......... The scape goat though is not identified yet!

Look again ! The time and dates of the CCTV camera have plainly been doctored. Also to note other things. Furniture appearing on one pic ( which must be old) does not appear on the comparison pic. There are sevral anomalies noted in this respect. It is all clear to see in earlier pages of TV. Another thing is the way Nomsod's appearance was quickly changed so as not to appear as the "running man" in the CCTV e.g. a new smart short hair cut.

I have several times posted links to the Thai PBS journalists' investigation of the full CCTV footage from all cameras. There are ways the footage might have been faked, but no credible evidence has been produced that this was done. The missing/misplaced furniture claims have been advanced many times, but never with proof. Given journalist interest in this affair, I would expect that multiple journalists would have checked out the furniture anomaly claims. Still no evidence. This is not a 100% alibi for Nomsod, but to claim it is not fairly strong just shows a lack of objectivity.

The evidence that Nomsod was on Koh Tao seems to consist entirely on the contention that he resembles the running man in the CCTV. No eye witness sightings. The Burmese kids are innocent, but Nomsod is not the most likely candidate to take their place.

On the Sean situation correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a msg maybe Facebook or somewhere from him recently saying he didn't know anything about the murder as he was sleeping. And yet I was on here that night when he stated they were after him and saw the comments and went to his Facebook page with the mssgs going backwards and forwards and he cetainly made some accusations and posted pictures would indicated he did know something. He does need to man up but he's not going to I don't think!

Edited by Nigeone

It has been reported that the prosecution is claiming that the "running man" in the key CCTV footage is one of the Burmese kids (both short even by Burmese standards). This is what they look like:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/07/1412694825626_wps_5_KO_TAO_THAILAND_OCTOBER_0.jpg

This is the best available picture of the running man (probably not shown in court):

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/20/article-2763277-2184B15500000578-954_634x655.jpg

The one curious thing about running man is that he is not wearing anything on his wrists. The B2 wore colourful wristbands at all times (apart from now in their prison garb) even during the crime re-enactment.

I cannot tell you exactly which page of TV but if you go back through earlier ones, it is all there for you to see.

Anyone remember university pictures and have a link?

Anyone remember university pictures and have a link?

I think he's referring to the pictures from the apartment, not Uni, which I assume you've already seen.

The one curious thing about running man is that he is not wearing anything on his wrists. The B2 wore colourful wristbands at all times (apart from now in their prison garb) even during the crime re-enactment.

very observant and very relative if the police are trying to convince the court that running man is one of the accused, he very obviously is not - well spotted

Highlighted items above

On the 9th July the RTP hospital doctor where they carried out the autopsy and DNA testing was on the stand.

So they testified the DNA matched?

That would be odd, usually testimony comes about collection and then later they introduce DNA evidence as the people collecting and those testing are different and first you introduce items and the later bring in results of testing. As I said, you build the foundation of the case first but maybe it is done differently here but couldn't see why as you

Hannah entered the AC Bar 1 hour before David entered. She was alone. She also left her phone with her friend so she obviously didn't want to be disturbed. David left his mate Chris Ware at the room and went back out.

All CCTV stops at the AC Bar.

Make of that what you will.

If you was so bothered about your status then you would release it. Unless you had something to hide. Moreover its a legal requirement to have CCTV in Bars in Thailand.

Had a nice stay in the Naughty room now unleashed upon you all again.

Bkk Post claims there were at least 17 CCTV cameras running in that immediate area on that night. It would be interesting to see what RTP don't want us to see.

The person states it is Nom Sot captured by the camera and says he or she thinks Nom Sod is running to get the key to the resort's private boat. The key is kept in the restaurant of the AC resort.

Strike! Now we're getting somewhere.

No, it's just the same baseless speculation that for the last 10 months have produced a grand total of zero credible evidence on who the "real murderer(s)" are. Just because someone said something on the Internet doesn't make it true.

Here is one of many 'grand total of zero credible evidence' which indicates Nomsod was among the murderers: 'Running Man videos.'

Nixon said many times, 'I am not a crook.' Even after all his underlings were busted for being crooks on numerous con jobs, all the while taking direction from him for years.

I have several times posted links to the Thai PBS journalists' investigation of the full CCTV footage from all cameras. There are ways the footage might have been faked, but no credible evidence has been produced that this was done. The missing/misplaced furniture claims have been advanced many times, but never with proof. Given journalist interest in this affair, I would expect that multiple journalists would have checked out the furniture anomaly claims. Still no evidence. This is not a 100% alibi for Nomsod, but to claim it is not fairly strong just shows a lack of objectivity.

The evidence that Nomsod was on Koh Tao seems to consist entirely on the contention that he resembles the running man in the CCTV. No eye witness sightings. The Burmese kids are innocent, but Nomsod is not the most likely candidate to take their place.

"The evidence that Nomsod was on Koh Tao seems to consist entirely on the contention that he resembles the running man in the CCTV."

That, as far as I was able to piece things together, came to be after he made some comments on the CSI-LA page at the time of the incident between Mon and Sean. The people there decided that since he wasn't agreeing with them he must have some agenda or being involved in the murders (exactly the same thing that happens here with people throwing such accusations against anyone that doesn't go along with the cover-up narrative) and then the CSI-LA people decided he looked like the man on the footage. Next thing you know the police gets reports identifying him on the video, later on they explicitly blamed the whole thing on Social Media rumor mongering.

It's quite clear to me that the reason that man got sucked into this was an act of vindictive malice that continues to this day.

Not sure if this is what you mean from the lobby or the uni.

post-234972-0-10765600-1437618973_thumb.

he might have been there and seen the hole thing so he does perhaps have something to loose. Maybe that is why the locals wanted him dead or at lease off that island and out of Thailand. But I agree that he must know something that would turn this case upside down. For everyone who does know something and let's these two guys go down for something they didn't do I hope karma gets its revenge.