Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

Newbie here, not full conversant with all the discussions which have occurred, but a few comments:

1. Looking at the running man video, i can't help think this could be Muang Muang, bigger stature than the others. Did he implicate the other two and was allowed to leave, just a thought.

2. At the crime scene there is a set of Pink Flip-Flops, i assume these belonged to Hannah, but when you see the videos of the evening she is wearing what appears to be white flat shoes. Of course she may have went back to her hotel and changed.

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames as i am sure these topics will have been covered already.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boomer,

Muang in Burmese means "Brother". You know how many Thai's call someone Sister or Brother, when they are not related. In Thai it means more like Good Friend. So I think the same in Burmese. Also "Saw" means "Mr." So "Saw Lin" means Mr. Lin.

Don't know who owns the Motor Bike. I never saw that written anywhere, or I forgot it. I also read in the Media that this rumor about an altercation with Hannah and David in that Bar was investigated and proven false. I recall as I remembers it was written by the Media that the Police were alleged to be angry about this and at the Social Media. For starting false rumors and them wasting their time tracking them down. So they may have checked more than you think they did.

I really don't see the need to bring Muang back to Trail for the Defense when he is alleged to be a Witness for the Prosecution. Why can't the Defense ask him the questions they want then, and when he takes the Stand? They were able to ask the Police Questions, and the Forensic Expert, and Doctor, so why not Muang? It doesn't make good sense to me now, but maybe they have a good reason I don't know about.

Hey GB if it was you why would you run to the AC bar and not use your motorbike?

Well first, is it my motor bike to drive? Considering I am a Migrant Worker do I have a Drivers License to drive it? Can I drive it on the beach as many places don't let you? How far away is it to where it is parked? Do I know how to drive a Motor Bike?

Well, my honest answer to you is I never drove a Motor Bike before, so no I would not take this motor bike as I don't know how to drive it.

I am not sure what their answer would be. There was only one driver on CCTV, and if it is the one who was on the beach he would be too drunk to drive.

You said it was Muang who was seen 5.41on CCTV so why do you now mention drunk people one the beach ? Muang wasn't on the beach at that time.

Didnt muang muang work in the A/C bar. You also have to remember that they are all m8s they hang around together work together sleep together in same room. I think Muang is to heavy set to be running man.

Well, quiet frankly, from that grainy picture we could argue for days on who it was and neither of us could prove it. I only wondered if it was Muang (and wondering doesn't mean confirming) because of what was is allegedly known.

It was recently posted here that when Muang allegedly came home around 5 am he found both of the accused sleeping, after some time he must have noticed his Guitar was missing. So it is alleged that he woke one of his friends and asked him about his guitar, which he said he left it at the AC Bar. So he said he went to get it. This CCTV Footage is of a man running near the Migrant Camp at 05:41.

So if this alleged story is true, it makes perfect sense to run and get this guitar before someone steals it. I have no doubt that this is something very valuable to him, and most likely not something he could easily replace on the Island, or could even afford to. Since NS was proven not to be o the Island and he certainly had no reason to go to the Migrant Workers Camp, and the 2 Accused where sleeping, and Muang admitted he went out to get his Guitar which could be around this time, I wondered if it could have been him.

But first you have to believe that this alleged story about his guitar is true and not made up by someone else, which I am not sure of and make no claim that it is. There is just too many false rumors floating around to believe anything these days.

Hey GB if it was you why would you run to the AC bar and not use your motorbike?

Well first, is it my motor bike to drive? Considering I am a Migrant Worker do I have a Drivers License to drive it? Can I drive it on the beach as many places don't let you? How far away is it to where it is parked? Do I know how to drive a Motor Bike?

Well, my honest answer to you is I never drove a Motor Bike before, so no I would not take this motor bike as I don't know how to drive it.

I am not sure what their answer would be. There was only one driver on CCTV, and if it is the one who was on the beach he would be too drunk to drive.

You said it was Muang who was seen 5.41on CCTV so why do you now mention drunk people one the beach ? Muang wasn't on the beach at that time.

Didnt muang muang work in the A/C bar. You also have to remember that they are all m8s they hang around together work together sleep together in same room. I think Muang is to heavy set to be running man.

Well, quiet frankly, from that grainy picture we could argue for days on who it was and neither of us could prove it. I only wondered if it was Muang (and wondering doesn't mean confirming) because of what was is allegedly known.

It was recently posted here that when Muang allegedly came home around 5 am he found both of the accused sleeping, after some time he must have noticed his Guitar was missing. So it is alleged that he woke one of his friends and asked him about his guitar, which he said he left it at the AC Bar. So he said he went to get it. This CCTV Footage is of a man running near the Migrant Camp at 05:41.

So if this alleged story is true, it makes perfect sense to run and get this guitar before someone steals it. I have no doubt that this is something very valuable to him, and most likely not something he could easily replace on the Island, or could even afford to. Since NS was proven not to be o the Island and he certainly had no reason to go to the Migrant Workers Camp, and the 2 Accused where sleeping, and Muang admitted he went out to get his Guitar which could be around this time, I wondered if it could have been him.

But first you have to believe that this alleged story about his guitar is true and not made up by someone else, which I am not sure of and make no claim that it is. There is just too many false rumors floating around to believe anything these days.

Why would he be shirtless and wet? After coming from his girlfriends I'm sure he put some clothes on.

Not that it matters. The investigation has been little more than Police commanders giving statements on the progress with literally no one else who can verify the results thus far.

The desperate attempt at finding a witness to make the case go away was one of the early indications to most people the cops will do anything to pin this on someone who isn't Thai, or is the lowest form of Thai. I'm actually quite surprised they didn't try to frame up some fishermen being that there's a documented case of that.

No matter, Uncle Mon sorted things pretty well.. I'm sure he is aware of the leaks in his game. Now we'll see what Thailand is all about in 2015.

Darkknight666,

First of all Darkknight666 I am not your Uncle!
I have already been accused as being tied into many people here, as well as the Police and Prosecutor, so the last thing I want is for people to think I am related to you. So perhaps you can try again and do better next time.
The original post was yours, in which you said it was this Taxi Driver was pressured into accusing the 2 Migrants Workers. This is not true even by your own links. I also asked you then, and now again, if you changed your mind or not.
The Man Says?
The Man says he has declined to be a witness in a Trial, where giving false testimony can easily land him in jail, because he was beaten and afraid to talk in a court of law. But at the same time he is not afraid to spill the beans and tell any Media Reporter who wants to know what happened to him and how he was abused by the Police. But here we are 10 months later were he walks the streets safely and without fear.
Sure! Sounds to me more like a Man who has a Bone to pick with the Police, if any of this is true. Of which I highly doubt any of it is.
Maybe he changed his false story, and like you are trying to do here right now? .

The taxi guy says he was beaten when he didn't take the money and lie about what he saw that night. Essentially he was treated the same way as the B2.... Patterns, Man.

Proof from Hospital Records he was beaten? X-rays showing broken bones? Testimony to a Doctor how this happened? Witnesses who saw this? Witnesses he said this to shortly after his beating? Bruises or marks on his body to show any sign of a beating?

Yes! You are Right! The same as the B2 are claiming.

The man went to a village headman (Note, Not NS pappy) for protection FROM the police. He went to the media so if the police retaliate there is documentation of the incident. He also said he didn't want to take action against the Police he just didn't want to pretend to have info on the case because.... He didn't see anything.

So GB, why why why, would the taxi driver make this up? To help the B2? Lmao.

Can you give one form of motivation for this man to publicly call the police out for corruption? Try GB, at least

Darkknight666

Don't have any Boys Darkknight. Mine are all girls. Last time I talked to them they weren't scared about anything. But thanks for asking.

Yes! I know that when his friend put it in a Plastic Bag and smashed it into little pieces with a Hammer, then threw it in the bushes, for a monetary value it was worthless.

But being found by the Police it is probably worth it's weight in Gold.

The taxi guy says he was beaten when he didn't take the money and lie about what he saw that night. Essentially he was treated the same way as the B2.... Patterns, Man.

Proof from Hospital Records he was beaten? X-rays showing broken bones? Testimony to a Doctor how this happened? Witnesses who saw this? Witnesses he said this to shortly after his beating? Bruises or marks on his body to show any sign of a beating?

Yes! You are Right! The same as the B2 are claiming.

The man went to a village headman (Note, Not NS pappy) for protection FROM the police. He went to the media so if the police retaliate there is documentation of the incident. He also said he didn't want to take action against the Police he just didn't want to pretend to have info on the case because.... He didn't see anything.

So GB, why why why, would the taxi driver make this up? To help the B2? Lmao.

Can you give one form of motivation for this man to publicly call the police out for corruption? Try GB, at least

Additionally, don't forget that this seems standard MO for the "Police" on KT, remember they also tried to get the gardener who owned the hoe to bear false witness too.

Darkknight666,

First of all Darkknight666 I am not your Uncle!

I have already been accused as being tied into many people here, as well as the Police and Prosecutor, so the last thing I want is for people to think I am related to you. So perhaps you can try again and do better next time.

The original post was yours, in which you said it was this Taxi Driver was pressured into accusing the 2 Migrants Workers. This is not true even by your own links. I also asked you then, and now again, if you changed your mind or not.

The Man Says?

The Man says he has declined to be a witness in a Trial, where giving false testimony can easily land him in jail, because he was beaten and afraid to talk in a court of law. But at the same time he is not afraid to spill the beans and tell any Media Reporter who wants to know what happened to him and how he was abused by the Police. But here we are 10 months later were he walks the streets safely and without fear.

Sure! Sounds to me more like a Man who has a Bone to pick with the Police, if any of this is true. Of which I highly doubt any of it is.

Maybe he changed his false story, and like you are trying to do here right now? .

Handling of this case almost certainly has ruined it. I have a bone to pick? And you?

Give me a link where this taxi driver refused to be a witness.... He declined to pursue corruption charges saying he just didn't want to lie. I didn't say anything about B2 in this regard.. That is your interpretation.

You can't spin this GB.. The cops tried to pay for false testimony. Period.

Darkknight666

Don't have any Boys Darkknight. Mine are all girls. Last time I talked to them they weren't scared about anything. But thanks for asking.

Yes! I know that when his friend put it in a Plastic Bag and smashed it into little pieces with a Hammer, then threw it in the bushes, for a monetary value it was worthless.

As far as I know the phone wasn't found in a plastic bag, the photos of it in a bag were after the police took it for evidence.

There's a special tool for looking for blood remains. It's like a 'black light' and has been used by farang detectives for decades. It's very effective and not expensive. Do RTP have such a tool? Even now, nearly a year after the crime, it would behoove RTP investigators (if we can call them that) to get one of those tools and check all around everyplace that Mon hangs out: his room, his bathroom, the kitchen at his bar(s), where he does laundry, his back yard, the strange stand-alone no-window room alongside AC bar (empty except for a mattress on the floor). Same for Nomsod's place and all their tough-guy buddies.

Farang harbor this quaint notion that detectives are supposed to do investigative work. In Thailand, detectives are only supposed to appear to be busy for a little while. Then, when suspects are named, nothing more to be done, except maybe write a fictional semi-believable story to send to prosecutors. In farang lands, detectives are on the alert all their waking hours - looking, listening, thinking. If nothing else comes out of this sham of an investigation, perhaps Thai cops will learn a modicum about how to investigate a crime.

good post

and like I have said many times, I believe more time and effort went into hiding/destroying/ignoring evidence that pointed to other suspects or would exclude B2 and trying to sift out or manipulate something that vaguely pointed at B2, now they are being called to account and the elephant in the room is getting bigger and bigger by the day.

two weeks into this trial and we have seen absolutely nothing that remotely points to B2 as anything more than persons of interest - yes they were on the beach that night - well whoopy doo, dna ? well they say it was a match but not verified and until that happens is nothing more than a hearsay - left the crime scene on a motorbike - show us the cctv with time stamp - confession ? not admissible, the police witness in court - I know nothing about this investigation and have been told not to answer any questions

the whole thing is a complete sham and quite honestly disgusting, because even if B2 were involved IMO a guilty verdict is impossible and the others that were involved but sidestepped will remain free to continue raping abusing and murdering on Ko Tao

Having an expert witness testifying that their DNA matched the one found in the victim, for example, is not something that only points at them as persons of interests, that you don't see that is a matter of belief not of fact; you chose to belief than any evidence presented against them it's fake or irrelevant, you also chose to believe that others committed the crime and are still free in Koh Tao.

Darkknight666

As far as I know the phone wasn't found in a plastic bag, the photos of it in a bag were after the police took it for evidence.

and it was fully examined for fingerprints and is in evidence at the court for defence confirmation.....not

So I ask again why didn't he use his motorbike to go get it.

Newbie here, not full conversant with all the discussions which have occurred, but a few comments:

1. Looking at the running man video, i can't help think this could be Muang Muang, bigger stature than the others. Did he implicate the other two and was allowed to leave, just a thought.

2. At the crime scene there is a set of Pink Flip-Flops, i assume these belonged to Hannah, but when you see the videos of the evening she is wearing what appears to be white flat shoes. Of course she may have went back to her hotel and changed.

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames as i am sure these topics will have been covered already.

Who's been banned and reappeared as a newbie again?

Darkknight666

The Problem is it wasn't Davids phone Goldbuggy.

In fact the Police confirmed in the trial proceedings they didn't check to see if it was David's phone.

So its ineligible as a piece of evidence and should now be discounted from this case. End off..

Darkknight666

and it was fully examined for fingerprints and is in evidence at the court for defence confirmation.....not

How do you know it was not examined?

I don't think it has been presented as evidence yet.

Darkknight666

Pity they didn't have a budget then for more plastic bags to correctly keep and record the clothing and shoes etc from the crime scene. That would have helped don't you think

Darkknight666

In fact the Police confirmed in the trial proceedings they didn't check to see if it was David's phone.

So its ineligible as a piece of evidence and should now be discounted from this case. End off..

They phone you are referring to was the one found at the crime scene, the phone that GOLDBUGGY was talking about was the one found behind the room of the men on trial, which they admit they "found" on the day of the murders.

Darkknight666

How do you know it was not examined?

I don't think it has been presented as evidence yet.

Wrong!!! again.

The phone issue was raised by the prosecution and under cross examination it was confirmed they hadn't ascertained if it was David's phone. So its ineligible

AleG I remember a post you made a while ago accusing people of being intellectually dishonest if they said running was Nomsod based on the arm movement, you then claimed it could have been Muang based on hair thickness.

You remember wrong.

Darkknight666

They phone you are referring to was the one found at the crime scene, the phone that GOLDBUGGY was talking about was the one found behind the room of the men on trial, which they admit they "found" on the day of the murders.

I am referring to the one that was entered as evidence by the prosecution into the evidence pack as Davids phone

Darkknight666

I am referring to the one that was entered as evidence by the prosecution into the evidence pack as Davids phone

That was Miller's second phone, the one found on the beach, which is not the same as behind the room of the men on trial:

"...failing to confirm whether the mobile phone and SIM card found on the beach belonged to Mr Miller"

You are deliberately conflating things in order to create confusion.

Just a quick question, if Sean had David in a headlock would their wounds match up?

Interesting question. Sean had a similar looking wound to the one in David's left shoulder on his lower right forearm.

I suppose if he was holding him from behind, with his arm across David's throat area, then it would be possible that someone with a small puncture blade could hit his arm as well as David's shoulder in that position.

That would be an uncomfortable amount of speculation.

That was Miller's second phone, the one found on the beach, which is not the same as behind the room of the men on trial:

"...failing to confirm whether the mobile phone and SIM card found on the beach belonged to Mr Miller"

You are deliberately conflating things in order to create confusion.

No they are referring to the phone the B2 found on the beach.

Post the link that states they entered 2 phones as evidence. the phone I am speaking about is the Iphone 4S Black 16GB as entered into the evidence pack

Here we go. :)

"Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists. One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.

In the latest in a series of claims from the police investigating the murder of 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge and 24-year-old David Miller, Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.

There is more than one, said the police chief, according to the Thailand Public Broadcasting Service.

TOP STORY

VIPs gather for opening of second Suez Canal - but doubts linger over security

Reports said one of the men had been detained and questioned before being released, while the other had gone to Bangkok. The police chief said they were liaising with officers in the capital to try and detain the second man.

The questioning of the possible suspect came after police said forensic tests had revealed DNA samples recovered from Ms Witheridges body belonged to two different Asian men and that these people were now their main line of inquiry.

Post-mortem tests carried out on Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller showed the young woman died from severe head wounds while the man had suffered head injuries and then drowned in the ocean after being attacked in the early hours of 15 September.

David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23 David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23

Their bodies were found less than 100 metres from the location of where a beach party had been held the night before. Police said a blood-stained hoe was found near the bodies and officers suspect it was the murder weapon.

Thai police have been criticised for the swerving nature of their investigation. Initially, migrant workers from neighbouring Burma were said to be the most likely suspects before police said they believed other British tourists may have been involved. They now again believe the killer, or killers, were almost certainly Asian.

Read more:

David Miller's father: My son died a hero

Hannah Witheridge's family 'broken' by tragedy

Police said they were also looking at evidence that may suggest the killings were carried out as a result of sexual jealousy. Police said they looking into claims Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller had argued with a Thai man in a bar before they were killed.

News of the arrest came as a British man living on Koh Tao revealed he had been forced to flee the island after being threatened by local mafia.

Sean McAnna, 25, who comes from near Glasgow, was a friend of Mr Miller. In a series of posts on social media he claimed local thugs he believed were responsible for the killing of the tourists had threatened to hang him.

I genuinely thought that was the day I was going to die, he told the Daily Telegraph. I genuinely thought that this was me dead. That I was gone.

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Thai police denied the existence of a mafia on Koh Tao, an island in the Gulf of Thailand that is known as a diving resort."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller-9751056.html

(Mod's... Not sure if independent is ok, if not apologies!)

Ok GB... Read it slow and then try and offer your take on this news... I would be worriiedd!

Here we go. smile.png

"Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists. One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.

In the latest in a series of claims from the police investigating the murder of 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge and 24-year-old David Miller, Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.

There is more than one, said the police chief, according to the Thailand Public Broadcasting Service.

TOP STORY

VIPs gather for opening of second Suez Canal - but doubts linger over security

Reports said one of the men had been detained and questioned before being released, while the other had gone to Bangkok. The police chief said they were liaising with officers in the capital to try and detain the second man.

The questioning of the possible suspect came after police said forensic tests had revealed DNA samples recovered from Ms Witheridges body belonged to two different Asian men and that these people were now their main line of inquiry.

Post-mortem tests carried out on Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller showed the young woman died from severe head wounds while the man had suffered head injuries and then drowned in the ocean after being attacked in the early hours of 15 September.

David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23 David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23

Their bodies were found less than 100 metres from the location of where a beach party had been held the night before. Police said a blood-stained hoe was found near the bodies and officers suspect it was the murder weapon.

Thai police have been criticised for the swerving nature of their investigation. Initially, migrant workers from neighbouring Burma were said to be the most likely suspects before police said they believed other British tourists may have been involved. They now again believe the killer, or killers, were almost certainly Asian.

Read more:

David Miller's father: My son died a hero

Hannah Witheridge's family 'broken' by tragedy

Police said they were also looking at evidence that may suggest the killings were carried out as a result of sexual jealousy. Police said they looking into claims Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller had argued with a Thai man in a bar before they were killed.

News of the arrest came as a British man living on Koh Tao revealed he had been forced to flee the island after being threatened by local mafia.

Sean McAnna, 25, who comes from near Glasgow, was a friend of Mr Miller. In a series of posts on social media he claimed local thugs he believed were responsible for the killing of the tourists had threatened to hang him.

I genuinely thought that was the day I was going to die, he told the Daily Telegraph. I genuinely thought that this was me dead. That I was gone.

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Thai police denied the existence of a mafia on Koh Tao, an island in the Gulf of Thailand that is known as a diving resort."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller-9751056.html

(Mod's... Not sure if independent is ok, if not apologies!)

Ok GB... Read it slow and then try and offer your take on this news... I would be worriiedd!

DK, that is a very old story from September last year I believe..

Archived