Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

The crime occurred somewhere between 2:30 am and 5:30 am. The police weren't called until 6:30 am, 30 minutes after the first ferry leaves the island. Anyone know what time Sean posted his photo of Mon on Facebook?

a few days later

Could be me... But I think you might be mistaken. I mean the photo from the convenience store he was hiding in.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A post in which the reply had been made within the quoted post has been removed as it changed the context of the quoted post.

Other posts with intentional aberrant miss spelling of another member's name have been removed as well as the replies.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Here we go. smile.png

"Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists. One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.

In the latest in a series of claims from the police investigating the murder of 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge and 24-year-old David Miller, Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.

There is more than one, said the police chief, according to the Thailand Public Broadcasting Service.

TOP STORY

VIPs gather for opening of second Suez Canal - but doubts linger over security

Reports said one of the men had been detained and questioned before being released, while the other had gone to Bangkok. The police chief said they were liaising with officers in the capital to try and detain the second man.

The questioning of the possible suspect came after police said forensic tests had revealed DNA samples recovered from Ms Witheridges body belonged to two different Asian men and that these people were now their main line of inquiry.

Post-mortem tests carried out on Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller showed the young woman died from severe head wounds while the man had suffered head injuries and then drowned in the ocean after being attacked in the early hours of 15 September.

David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23 David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23

Their bodies were found less than 100 metres from the location of where a beach party had been held the night before. Police said a blood-stained hoe was found near the bodies and officers suspect it was the murder weapon.

Thai police have been criticised for the swerving nature of their investigation. Initially, migrant workers from neighbouring Burma were said to be the most likely suspects before police said they believed other British tourists may have been involved. They now again believe the killer, or killers, were almost certainly Asian.

Read more:

David Miller's father: My son died a hero

Hannah Witheridge's family 'broken' by tragedy

Police said they were also looking at evidence that may suggest the killings were carried out as a result of sexual jealousy. Police said they looking into claims Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller had argued with a Thai man in a bar before they were killed.

News of the arrest came as a British man living on Koh Tao revealed he had been forced to flee the island after being threatened by local mafia.

Sean McAnna, 25, who comes from near Glasgow, was a friend of Mr Miller. In a series of posts on social media he claimed local thugs he believed were responsible for the killing of the tourists had threatened to hang him.

I genuinely thought that was the day I was going to die, he told the Daily Telegraph. I genuinely thought that this was me dead. That I was gone.

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Thai police denied the existence of a mafia on Koh Tao, an island in the Gulf of Thailand that is known as a diving resort."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller-9751056.html

(Mod's... Not sure if independent is ok, if not apologies!)

Ok GB... Read it slow and then try and offer your take on this news... I would be worriiedd!

DK, that is a very old story from September last year I believe..

It is old, Some days after the crime. Still it's says one suspect fled to Bangkok and that suspect was the headmans son.

Here we go. smile.png

"Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists. One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.

In the latest in a series of claims from the police investigating the murder of 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge and 24-year-old David Miller, Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.

There is more than one, said the police chief, according to the Thailand Public Broadcasting Service.

TOP STORY

VIPs gather for opening of second Suez Canal - but doubts linger over security

Reports said one of the men had been detained and questioned before being released, while the other had gone to Bangkok. The police chief said they were liaising with officers in the capital to try and detain the second man.

The questioning of the possible suspect came after police said forensic tests had revealed DNA samples recovered from Ms Witheridges body belonged to two different Asian men and that these people were now their main line of inquiry.

Post-mortem tests carried out on Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller showed the young woman died from severe head wounds while the man had suffered head injuries and then drowned in the ocean after being attacked in the early hours of 15 September.

David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23 David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23

Their bodies were found less than 100 metres from the location of where a beach party had been held the night before. Police said a blood-stained hoe was found near the bodies and officers suspect it was the murder weapon.

Thai police have been criticised for the swerving nature of their investigation. Initially, migrant workers from neighbouring Burma were said to be the most likely suspects before police said they believed other British tourists may have been involved. They now again believe the killer, or killers, were almost certainly Asian.

Read more:

David Miller's father: My son died a hero

Hannah Witheridge's family 'broken' by tragedy

Police said they were also looking at evidence that may suggest the killings were carried out as a result of sexual jealousy. Police said they looking into claims Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller had argued with a Thai man in a bar before they were killed.

News of the arrest came as a British man living on Koh Tao revealed he had been forced to flee the island after being threatened by local mafia.

Sean McAnna, 25, who comes from near Glasgow, was a friend of Mr Miller. In a series of posts on social media he claimed local thugs he believed were responsible for the killing of the tourists had threatened to hang him.

I genuinely thought that was the day I was going to die, he told the Daily Telegraph. I genuinely thought that this was me dead. That I was gone.

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Thai police denied the existence of a mafia on Koh Tao, an island in the Gulf of Thailand that is known as a diving resort."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller-9751056.html

(Mod's... Not sure if independent is ok, if not apologies!)

Ok GB... Read it slow and then try and offer your take on this news... I would be worriiedd!

DK, that is a very old story from September last year I believe..

For me although an old story is the most compelling account of an early attempt for police to actually investigate and prosecute the people actually responsible for these murders, then it was suddenly shut down and, Lt Gen Panya Mamen was removed and transferred. After that we have experienced nothing but unsupported claims of dna matches confessions phones in a blatant attempt to confuse and deflect, now they are being called to account and it isn't pretty.

The crime occurred somewhere between 2:30 am and 5:30 am. The police weren't called until 6:30 am, 30 minutes after the first ferry leaves the island. Anyone know what time Sean posted his photo of Mon on Facebook?

a few days later

Could be me... But I think you might be mistaken. I mean the photo from the convenience store he was hiding in.

LOL...Really me wrong .. cheesy.gif I told my wife I am always right.

DK you are way of the mark.

They had had the vigil a couple of days later at the beach... Sean had already given his interview to Jonathan Samuels from Sky on how David was the man he always wanted to be.. And then a few days late the Incident occurred. The Video of him fleeing in the taxi was published on the 22nd Sept a full 7 days after the murders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0EpJ7Ypl_U

Sean claimed he fled the store hid in the jungle then under a snooker table...lol...

What actually happened was the police came and took him away to protective custody. Mon was taken into the police station. Sean washed up and got his things before leaving the same afternoon with a handshake from the head Copper and a don't come back M8.

Evidence vanished into this air (well a flight to Italy) where it took residence in Milan. Reinvented as a sweet guitar player. Where he found work playing in a bar for a few euro's each week.

It was a well orchestrated attempt to loos e the only person who would shed light on what happened. However at the first sight of a way out Mr McAnna back peddled rapidly and tried to discount what he claimed had happened. But listen to his words. He knows... He knows much much more but he cares for his skin only IMHO

post-69687-0-08546000-1438509438_thumb.j

What happens if/when the B2 are acquitted?

They will find the real murderers/rapists, right?

Everyone knows who really committed this crime.

I guess we are all Conspiracy Theorists...

Royal Thai Police bring shame and dishonor to King and Country

That was Miller's second phone, the one found on the beach, which is not the same as behind the room of the men on trial:

"...failing to confirm whether the mobile phone and SIM card found on the beach belonged to Mr Miller"

You are deliberately conflating things in order to create confusion.

No they are referring to the phone the B2 found on the beach.

Post the link that states they entered 2 phones as evidence. the phone I am speaking about is the Iphone 4S Black 16GB as entered into the evidence pack

Cite that the phone in question was an iPhone 4s?

That was Miller's second phone, the one found on the beach, which is not the same as behind the room of the men on trial:

"...failing to confirm whether the mobile phone and SIM card found on the beach belonged to Mr Miller"

You are deliberately conflating things in order to create confusion.

Post the link that states they entered 2 phones as evidence. the phone I am speaking about is the Iphone 4S Black 16GB as entered into the evidence pack

I already did make and model is (Iphone 4S Black 16GB) this is the phone the police claim was davids phone

What happens if/when the B2 are acquitted?

They will find the real murderers/rapists, right?

Everyone knows who really committed this crime.

I guess we are all Conspiracy Theorists...

Royal Thai Police bring shame and dishonor to King and Country

I think it depends largely on how this ends

If somehow the defence is able to retest (which I doubt will happen) the dna against the accused and it is found not to be a match then that would then throw the whole investigation out to pasture and a new investigation by a different team may be brought in to actually find those responsible, I don't see how that could be avoided in this scenario

If upon retest it is found to be a match as claimed then there would likely be a conviction

If the defence is unable to verify the dna rendering it inadmissible then that would mean it no longer exists and any further investigation would be almost impossible, it would end right there,

The only possibility of re-opening the investigation would be if dna taken in the UK was allowed,

That is how I see it

IMO if the investigation was reopened I know exactly were I would be looking first and at who - Lt Gen Panya Mamen I believe was on the right track

AleG I remember a post you made a while ago accusing people of being intellectually dishonest if they said running was Nomsod based on the arm movement, you then claimed it could have been Muang based on hair thickness.

You remember wrong.

No I remember right. And you again prove yourself to be a liar

a few days later

LOL...Really me wrong .. cheesy.gif I told my wife I am always right.

DK you are way of the mark.

They had had the vigil a couple of days later at the beach... Sean had already given his interview to Jonathan Samuels from Sky on how David was the man he always wanted to be.. And then a few days late the Incident occurred. The Video of him fleeing in the taxi was published on the 22nd Sept a full 7 days after the murders.

Oh I think it's a misunderstanding. I'm asking if any me knows what time the photo below was posted.

post-242185-0-76746500-1438511205_thumb.

Oh I think it's a misunderstanding. I'm asking if any me knows what time the photo below was posted.

Come on I cant walk you through the whole case do something for yourself.

that's the 22nd Sept

Mr McAnna posted information about the alleged threats on his Facebook page at around 4am on Monday and issued a desperate plea for help. "Thai mafia are trying to kill me. Please help me," he wrote.

He said he also spoke to Foreign Office officials in London over the telephone. After being taken from the supermarket by Thai police, Mr McAnna said he spent the rest of the night hiding from the men he feared were going to kill him in the jungle.

"I was scared s*******. I was really scared. So I kept moving every thirty minutes in case anybody had seen me. I would move from one part, to the next part in case there was anyone close that had seen me and could send someone."

Two Thai men were questioned about the incident but they were not arrested. The police chief said he would guarantee the Briton's security while he remained on Koh Tao.

After spending much of Monday in hiding, Mr McAnna travelled to the island's port with a group of British reporters at around 2.30pm. He left Koh Tao on a passenger ferry at 3.10pm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11113268/Terrified-Briton-flees-Thai-island-after-mafia-death-threat.html

I already did make and model is (Iphone 4S Black 16GB) this is the phone the police claim was davids phone

I say so is not a citation.

One wonders why the Burmese took one phone but left another at the scene. And also left the sim there after taking it out of the phone. They seemed to have spent quite a while playing with phones after killing two people, i 'm surprised the two of them arnt seen ambling back to their room rather than just one of them running.

Of course it could all be made up.

Hi guys , had a few days holiday thanks to a word I used

Surprisingly, the apologists seem to have forgotten my questions, so I will, at the risk of appearing Old n Grumpy, like our new verbose poster, I will repeat and add to them:

1. Why did JTJ blatantly lie about the original investgators transfer, we know it was not mistake because he is so meticulous in his research.

2. Why dos he quote ad nauseum the familys statement that was issued so long ago when they have issued new statements that indicate change?

3. Why is AG so concerned about the life of an original suspect?

4. According to another poster AG has started telling porkie pies too, is this a new apologist trend?

5. Why did the headman say his son had left early in the morning to get back to university for exams?

6. Why did he retract that statement and insist his son had not been on the island for 2 weeks ( or 1 month in another news report)?

7. Why was the original suspect so hard to get hold of fo almost a week?

8. Where did he go?

9. Why did his inseparable gf complain on her facebook page that she could not contact him?

10. Why did his relative make a statement that he was with her in Bangkok when it was proven SHE was in Pattaya?

11. Why is there so much weight being given to the DNA tests when they have been shown to be absolutely without any credibility.

Trial by social media is not pleasant for anyone who is innocent and one has to feel sorry for NS if indeed he has had no part in this terrible crime but, he is the architect of suspicion, he has done nothing substantial to prove his innocence and has had many opportunities to do so. Similarly the Scottish Paedophile who when panicked let some phrases slip that cannot be retracted and he needs questioning, seriously.

Thats all for now folks except to mention that I will not supply links to our new but prolific typist old n grumpy or anyone else.

Reason: There are 2 types of posters on here, The genuinely concerned and the simply curious.

The genuinely concerned know where the links are.

One wonders why the Burmese took one phone but left another at the scene. And also left the sim there after taking it out of the phone. They seemed to have spent quite a while playing with phones after killing two people, i 'm surprised the two of them arnt seen ambling back to their room rather than just one of them running.

They didn't that's just AliG's version which is incorrect and one that he/she cant prove. It didn't happen.

They didn't that's just AliG's version which is incorrect and one that he/she cant prove. It didn't happen.

Its funny how the original RTP fanatics have gone from having half decent arguments/cases, to spreading out right lies.

As said before repeat something often enough someone might believe it. When that someone is GB oh dear.

Darkknight666

Don't have any Boys Darkknight. Mine are all girls. Last time I talked to them they weren't scared about anything. But thanks for asking.

Yes! I know that when his friend put it in a Plastic Bag and smashed it into little pieces with a Hammer, then threw it in the bushes, for a monetary value it was worthless.

But being found by the Police it is probably worth it's weight in Gold.

As far as I know the phone wasn't found in a plastic bag, the photos of it in a bag were after the police took it for evidence.

and it was fully examined for fingerprints and is in evidence at the court for defence confirmation.....not

How do you know it was not examined?

I don't think it has been presented as evidence yet.

"Pol Maj-General Suwat Jaengyordsuk said that an unnamed Myanmar friend who got the phone from the suspects told police he destroyed it, before putting it in a plastic bag and discarding it at the back of his home."

Sean claimed he fled the store hid in the jungle then under a snooker table...lol...

What actually happened was the police came and took him away to protective custody. Mon was taken into the police station. Sean washed up and got his things before leaving the same afternoon with a handshake from the head Copper and a don't come back M8.

Evidence vanished into this air (well a flight to Italy) where it took residence in Milan. Reinvented as a sweet guitar player. Where he found work playing in a bar for a few euro's each week.

It was a well orchestrated attempt to loos e the only person who would shed light on what happened. However at the first sight of a way out Mr McAnna back peddled rapidly and tried to discount what he claimed had happened. But listen to his words. He knows... He knows much much more but he cares for his skin only IMHO

attachicon.gifSeans Thai Trip.jpg

Has he been questioned by UK authorities?

Not sure my only involvement was finding him for some people.

Not sure my only involvement was finding him for some people.

Thanks, find it strange that an interview he did with the Mail on Sunday was never published? Don't know if I would believe a word that came out of his mouth anyway!

Hi guys , had a few days holiday thanks to a word I used

Surprisingly, the apologists seem to have forgotten my questions, so I will, at the risk of appearing Old n Grumpy, like our new verbose poster, I will repeat and add to them:

1. Why did JTJ blatantly lie about the original investgators transfer, we know it was not mistake because he is so meticulous in his research.

2. Why dos he quote ad nauseum the familys statement that was issued so long ago when they have issued new statements that indicate change?

4. According to another poster AG has started telling porkie pies too, is this a new apologist trend?

5. Why did the headman say his son had left early in the morning to get back to university for exams?

6. Why did he retract that statement and insist his son had not been on the island for 2 weeks ( or 1 month in another news report)?

8. Where did he go?

9. Why did his inseparable gf complain on her facebook page that she could not contact him?

10. Why did his relative make a statement that he was with her in Bangkok when it was proven SHE was in Pattaya?

11. Why is there so much weight being given to the DNA tests when they have been shown to be absolutely without any credibility.

Trial by social media is not pleasant for anyone who is innocent and one has to feel sorry for NS if indeed he has had no part in this terrible crime but, he is the architect of suspicion, he has done nothing substantial to prove his innocence and has had many opportunities to do so. Similarly the Scottish Paedophile who when panicked let some phrases slip that cannot be retracted and he needs questioning, seriously.

Thats all for now folks except to mention that I will not supply links to our new but prolific typist old n grumpy or anyone else.

Reason: There are 2 types of posters on here, The genuinely concerned and the simply curious.

The genuinely concerned know where the links are.

Well, if you insist...

He wasn't lying, how about you, or any of the conspiracy inclined people, show any evidence to support the notion that he was transferred to affect the course of the investigation instead?

That's your interpretation, and quite biased, of what they said.

I'm concerned about witchhunts.

Is throwing insults a new thing for you or were you always like this?

He didn't say that... I would ask you to show were he did but I see that you CYAed by saying you are not willing to support anything of what you allege with actual citations... while demanding others to do it.

You assume a retraction from a statement you assume was made before; it's a loaded question, same as the proverbial "have you stopped beating your wife"?

He was named a suspect on the 23rd of September, cleared on the 25th, two days are not "almost a week".

8. Where did he go?

Yes, where did he go when? During the imaginary week you say he was gone?

Let me guess, you know this from online gossip, don't you?

Same as 9 I'm sure.

I don't know, because armchair detectives were foaming at the mouth demanding a DNA test? Then they do the test and, predictable, take it as proof that there is a conspiracy, because of course they would fake the test; so really, be honest with yourself and admit that no amount of evidence the man could provide would convince you, and others, that he wasn't in Koh Tao at the time (let alone that he had any involvement in the crimes)

As far as I know the phone wasn't found in a plastic bag, the photos of it in a bag were after the police took it for evidence.

and it was fully examined for fingerprints and is in evidence at the court for defence confirmation.....not

How do you know it was not examined?

I don't think it has been presented as evidence yet.

"Pol Maj-General Suwat Jaengyordsuk said that an unnamed Myanmar friend who got the phone from the suspects told police he destroyed it, before putting it in a plastic bag and discarding it at the back of his home."

I stand corrected then.

Archived