Fish and Chips (British Style)?

burnalot

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Hudson, from the UK and used to run a restaurant near Thee Pae gate, has moved.

Here's his contact.

He makes great fish 'n chips.

chiangmaipie@hotmail.com

see attachment

post-111567-0-69391000-1436339639_thumb.

kellys better than you get in uk.won many many awards in england for best chippee when he had shops in uk

Don't think he would get many awards after my last visit, there are better places now. bring back Charlies Fish and Chips now that was a dinning experience.

There maybe restaurants that try to claim their fish and chips are traditional English style, but no, there are no real authentic fish and chips meals cooked in the commercially designed deep fat fryers (as pictured below) served in Chiang Mai and probably not in the whole of Thailand. (Not as far as I know, anyway?).

Somethings I have mentioned many times in the past here on Thai visa, 2 great opportunities for the enterprising business entrepreneur. Be the first to open a real traditional chip shop or creating real proper made New York bagels to sell in Thailand. It would be a first in Thailand and in my opinion an absolute certainty and a sell out.

post-110219-0-03481000-1436343408_thumb.

The best you are going to find in Chiang Mai is Kellys Bistro in Meechok Plaza,

on the Mae Jo road,order the deep sea Cod (their description) THB 199,plus

i usually order a pot of tea and 2 slices bread and butter,plus mushy peas,

the batter is very good and the fish ok,

regards Worgeordie

There maybe restaurants that try to claim their fish and chips are traditional English style, but no, there are no real authentic fish and chips meals cooked in the commercially designed deep fat fryers (as pictured below) served in Chiang Mai and probably not in the whole of Thailand. (Not as far as I know, anyway?).

Somethings I have mentioned many times in the past here on Thai visa, 2 great opportunities for the enterprising business entrepreneur. Be the first to open a real traditional chip shop or creating real proper made New York bagels to sell in Thailand. It would be a first in Thailand and in my opinion an absolute certainty and a sell out.

I don't think there would be enough trade to run a proper fish and chip shop here,

also finding some decent fish to fry would be difficult.and at this time of year potatoes

are also in short supply and expensive.

regards worgeordie

There is also Dee"s mobile fish and chips, that travels around Chiang Mai city

in evenings,I have never tried them but he has some good reviews on Tripadvisor,

visit his Facebook page for times and areas he services.

regards worgeordie

bring back Charlies Fish and Chips now that was a dinning experience.

Fish & Chips is to "Dining Experience" like a quickie handjob in a car is to love making in a king size bed.

Though I do do love the occasional fish & chips.

T

kellys better than you get in uk.won many many awards in england for best chippee when he had shops in uk

Don't think he would get many awards after my last visit, there are better places now. bring back Charlies Fish and Chips now that was a dinning experience.

I remember Charlie's Fish and Chips...That was cool place indeed. He was a nice guy too.

Fish & Chips is to "Dining Experience" like a quickie handjob in a car is to love making in a king size bed.

T

And yet you have expressed no feeling towards the kind size bed??? Well you got a laugh out of me clap2.gif

Burton Road Chippy in Lincoln won the best fish and chip shop in England? My sister lives near there so I go and eat there everytime I visit her. Can't beat haddock, chips, mushy peas and a cuppa!

Recommend you visit if you're ever in Lincoln ;-)

Burton Road Chippy in Lincoln won the best fish and chip shop in England? My sister lives near there so I go and eat there everytime I visit her. Can't beat haddock, chips, mushy peas and a cuppa!

Recommend you visit if you're ever in Lincoln ;-)

Don't know if it would be acceptable to die-hard Brits; however, Duke's on Lamphun Road near the Nawarat Bridge does a reasonable fish and chips, no mushy peas. Huge serving, four pieces of battered fish on a lot of chips, 220 baht.

Haddock? Unless it's flown halfway around the world, I'd think someone is pulling your leg. It's a bit like barramundi in Melbourne, fresh is implausible, frozen far more likely.

And yet the quickie vehicle-based engagements are somehow a lot more memorable.

Strange how that works.

I've never tried Kelly's as it is not convenient, but I don't think that Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai are of exceptional quality. I get my fix at Gecko Garden as - like most things there - the price is right, especially on Friday nights when F&C are on special. . You get a lot of fish and a decent portion of fries - not chips - with a salad for right around 100 baht. He has malt vinegar and tartar sauce and all of that stuff.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The price is right, but the portions are just too big.

I would prefer smaller portions but firmer fish. Not this gooey stuff that probably comes out of a Makro freezer bag. wink.png

It's no better than what the mobile Fish and Ship cart dude makes. (Nice guy by the way).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

T

You can eat fish & chips in the car at the same time. Not allowed in king sized bed wink.png

The Red Lion just off from the night bazaar has the best I have had in Chiang Mai so far. There may be others that I haven't tried, but you'll get a large portion that's for sure.

Red Lion gets my vote too - also try Game out by Hang Dong, sells Magners on draught as well ;)

I've never tried Kelly's as it is not convenient, but I don't think that Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai are of exceptional quality. I get my fix at Gecko Garden as - like most things there - the price is right, especially on Friday nights when F&C are on special. . You get a lot of fish and a decent portion of fries - not chips - with a salad for right around 100 baht. He has malt vinegar and tartar sauce and all of that stuff.

I like the Gecko but the fish and chips would be very low on my list of reasons for visiting. To add insult to injury the miserably thin piece of fish is crumbed.

As you can't get cod or haddock in Chiang Mai then it's practically impossible to get real British style fish and chips. Similarly, it's almost impossible to get real decent Thai food in the UK. It's a sacrifice we need to make if we want to live in any foreign country - nothing's ever the same as at home!