Keeping a UK Bank Account

I have NatWest account at branch in UK that uses my home address in Thailand and posts all the mail there.

You are lucky my NatWest branch will not send anything overseas and also I found that HSBC to be the same. Mind you I have 'lost' a few things in the post in Thailand.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a huge problem to tell your bank you've moved overseas, I told HSBC the same twelve years ago and they've been happy with my address here in Thailand ever since, sending me credit cards, statements and other mail on a monthly basis. We've discussed at length my plans and financial situation so they are aware that I am ex UK and never likely to return on a permanent basis, it's not a problem for them.

I have the same experience with Barclays in the UK, no problem with a Thai address.

However, it's suddenly a different situation with Barclays International in Jersey. Despite multicurrency banking with them for 20+ years they have decided I do not meet the screening requirements of the European Savings Directive and will be closing my accounts next month. It's a hassle I could do without but am moving on. Barclays Jersey did tell me by phone that a lot of other people have been affected in the same way and I was about to start a thread on this subject.

So far I have heard nothing about this from Barclays in the UK mainland so am assuming there will be no problem with Sterling accounts there, even with my Thai address.

The Jersey regulators are more demanding then the UK ones. The Channel Islands are still perceived by some as a tax haven. The regulators there are sensitive to the US and EU demands, and specific UK ones. The banks have all been fined or face investigations by various authorities. All about arse covering. If you are not a target customer to them for whatever reasons, I suspect they'll try and either get you to move banks by constant demands for information, some if which is none of their business, or as appears in your case, simply inform you they no longer want your custom. HSBC Expat have lost more business than they thought they would over the last 18 months and are now taking a more "customer friendly" approach. Barclays, I suspect are in a mess, hence the sacking of the CEO.

For the UK, I have no problem with HSBC UK, either when I lived in the Middle East or Thailand. They are happy to maintain your UK account with a foreign address, and will send correspondence to the overseas address, even if by "snail mail". Mine usually takes 14 days to arrive. They will monitor your account and if you are receiving income regularly or making regular payments will question it. If you receive property income, a pension, investment payment etc and fill a UK tax return in then they will be fine. As long as they can show they validated the source is legal and that tax isn't being avoided if asked they are happy.

For HSBC UK you can amend your existing address and contact details online. They have never asked me for proof of any the addresses I have changed to.

I have both an HSBC account and a Halifax account. Halifax have tried a few times to send my debit card here but on every occasion it has gone missing in the post although I did receive the pin number which obviously comes separately.

HSBC allow your cards to be delivered and picked up from you branch in the UK but unfortunately Halifax don't so seeing as I don't have an address in the UK my card is nearly a decade out of date.

Halifax were fine until 01 Jan 07 when they suddenly moved the goalposts and criminalised everyone living abroad overnight without bothering to tell them until they (customers) rang to report cards missing & discovering that they hadnt actually been sent! I circumvented their nonsence by reverting to my UK address & having replacements forwarded by my family. Complaints at the time were upheld, but the word 'Thailand' still triggers their security safeguards whenever I have cause to contact them.

I've only been here15 years & they knew my movements from day 1!

Edited by evadgib

Yes I have very recent experience of this. I have an HSBC bank account in the UK and can change my address via the online banking service without any problem. Last December I went to the UK and stayed with my brother. When I needed HSBC to send me the PIN for my VISA card, I logged in online, changed my address to that of my brother's house and HSBC sent the letter there. When I returned to Thailand in January, I changed my address back. Last month, HSBC sent me a new VISA (my old one had expired). So I'm fairly definite HSBC has no problem with Brits using overseas addresses.

Your last sentence is not strictly true. Last year I had an email asking me to visit the bank. As I was over here they had to wait about 3 months until i was back in the UK. They asked several questions and stated that it was not HSBC policy to service accounts for customers who were not legitimate UK residents. It is obviously discretionary as they allowed me to keep the account as it is active with monthly income but I was told the arrangement could be terminated at any time.

Seems that this is a hit and miss affair so I have gone down the route of "no address - no money" and obtained my ex's new address. My daughter will forward what little mail will go there.

Does piss me off still though; most of us can never be resident here and I'm sure many of us still pay taxes in our home countries. Fat chance of government regulating on our behalf, usually just the opposite whilst any Abdul, Mohamed or whoever is seemingly bent over backwards for.

Just my 2 penneth. Have always had my state pension paid into my Barclay's account in the UK. They know I live here and will not send a new debit card to Thailand. What I did last time in the UK earlier this year was to visit my local branch and ask them to replace my debit card with a new one - whilst I was in the UK, even though my current one did not run out for 8 months. They were quite OK about that.

Had a Mint credit Card (RBS) for years. They will definitely not send replacements to Thailand. They told me it was on the 'no send' list. Therefore, I telephone them for a new one to be sent to the UK address prior to going over. Again, even if there are several months left on my current one.

Reading others' problems about getting bank cards sent to Thailand, I feel a mixture of being incredibly lucky and nervousness that the luck will not continue. I currently hold 3 cards, all posted to me in Thailand - a First Direct debit card (valid from 01/14), an HSBC Credit card (Valid 10/13) and a Barclaycard (valid 05/15).

The most bizarre is the Barclaycard; 6 years ago, when I was making arrangements for the long-term move here, I spoke to the bank and both the C-C companies. HSBC said "No worries", and I've used their card ever since. Barclaycard said they could only authorise overseas use for 3 months, so I didn't bother with it, and don't recall getting any replacement card - until a few months ago when a new one arrived in the post! No problem with the old PIN and login numbers, and I've used it for online purchase in Thailand and in the UK.

In the light of many foregoing comments I now wonder if the banks are getting more restrictive and I may not receive replacement cards in the future.

Reading others' problems about getting bank cards sent to Thailand, I feel a mixture of being incredibly lucky and nervousness that the luck will not continue. I currently hold 3 cards, all posted to me in Thailand - a First Direct debit card (valid from 01/14), an HSBC Credit card (Valid 10/13) and a Barclaycard (valid 05/15).

The most bizarre is the Barclaycard; 6 years ago, when I was making arrangements for the long-term move here, I spoke to the bank and both the C-C companies. HSBC said "No worries", and I've used their card ever since. Barclaycard said they could only authorise overseas use for 3 months, so I didn't bother with it, and don't recall getting any replacement card - until a few months ago when a new one arrived in the post! No problem with the old PIN and login numbers, and I've used it for online purchase in Thailand and in the UK.

In the light of many foregoing comments I now wonder if the banks are getting more restrictive and I may not receive replacement cards in the future.

I believe that regulation from the EU might be behind it, but it does seem to be open to various interpretations.

Little off subject, i am having trouble using my internet banking from Nationwide in Thailand. ie it does not work, Got to go back to uk for a few weeks Can anyone recommend a UK bank that I will be able to use internet banking whilst in Thailand . That works

Little off subject, i am having trouble using my internet banking from Nationwide in Thailand. ie it does not work, Got to go back to uk for a few weeks Can anyone recommend a UK bank that I will be able to use internet banking whilst in Thailand . That works

I have no problem with Nationawide usually, had that account for many years whilst accessing it from here. Only one issue over that time when they sent a letter to my old UK address and it did not get forwarded. Sorted out in 10 mins overg the phone. But...I.m waiting to see what happens when I change my address to here as attempts to keep an alternative in the UK are not going well, and mail forwarding from there is far too expensiv now.

I have been using HSBC online banking over here for the best part of 10 years without a problem. If you think about that option do not wait to long, they will have to send you the digital secure key by post. Probably have to go to a UK address and may take a couple of weeks.