Keeping a UK Bank Account

I presently have a UK bank account registered at my former UK address where my ex-wife lived until recently. Now she has moved and I am denied the use of the new address (even if I knew it).

I have a UK life insurance policy which requires that payments are made from a UK bank. I also send money to my daughter in the UK which is obviously cheaper, quicker and easier to do from a UK account.

I could just let it lie until there is a problem, but know from recent experience that they will write to the address occasionally and, if they do not get a reply, freeze the account.

So I am faced with having to change the account address to my address here.

From what information is around there does not seem to be a definitive answer on my ability to use an overseas address for the account. For obvious reasons I cannot ask them...

Has anyone any recent experience of doing this?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a huge problem to tell your bank you've moved overseas, I told HSBC the same twelve years ago and they've been happy with my address here in Thailand ever since, sending me credit cards, statements and other mail on a monthly basis. We've discussed at length my plans and financial situation so they are aware that I am ex UK and never likely to return on a permanent basis, it's not a problem for them.

I bank with RBS and have done so for over 20 years ... they know that I live full time over here. This is my registered address. They post both my mine and my wife's bank cards here. The local branch even repacks the cards so that 'Mr Thieving Postee' doesn't realize they are bank cards. How can anyone who has any kind of pension/bills to pay manage without a UK Bank Account.

lloyds will not send cards outside of uk there ok with abroad address but that's about as far as service goes

also if your pin needs renewing they send a pin with a 14 day expiry and the letter typically takes up to 3 weeks standard post i asked for expedited post their reply no can do system computerized

Edited by gerry123

I am from the US and there's been no problem giving my bank there a Thai address. They ship all docs including CCs here. There are 100s of 1000s of US and Brit expats living all over the world and there's no reason for a home bank not to serve. In fact, we're the best kind of customer. They have our business but never deal with us in person.

Btw, if you really really need a British address but can't do with friends/family, then rent one. Google for such a service. They will repackage and mail your stuff here.

It's not a huge problem to tell your bank you've moved overseas, I told HSBC the same twelve years ago and they've been happy with my address here in Thailand ever since, sending me credit cards, statements and other mail on a monthly basis. We've discussed at length my plans and financial situation so they are aware that I am ex UK and never likely to return on a permanent basis, it's not a problem for them.

I have the same experience with Barclays in the UK, no problem with a Thai address.

However, it's suddenly a different situation with Barclays International in Jersey. Despite multicurrency banking with them for 20+ years they have decided I do not meet the screening requirements of the European Savings Directive and will be closing my accounts next month. It's a hassle I could do without but am moving on. Barclays Jersey did tell me by phone that a lot of other people have been affected in the same way and I was about to start a thread on this subject.

So far I have heard nothing about this from Barclays in the UK mainland so am assuming there will be no problem with Sterling accounts there, even with my Thai address.

Lloyds Bank have my Thai address and automatically send to me to Thailand, my new credit and debit cards, also every month my statements to Thailand...same as other bank accounts that I have.

I've never had any problems.

lloyds will not send cards outside of uk there ok with abroad address but that's about as far as service goes

also if your pin needs renewing they send a pin with a 14 day expiry and the letter typically takes up to 3 weeks standard post i asked for expedited post their reply no can do system computerized

Edited by Pdavies99

Same as many others, I have a Lloyds UK account, and they have no problem with me having my registered address in Thailand. I simply informed them of my change of address from my old UK address to my new one in Thailand. The one and only problem I do have, however, is that Lloyds will NOT send me any debit or credit cards to Thailand. When I queried this they informed me that Thailand was on their "embargoed " list of countries to which they were unable to send any bank cards, for "security reasons".

I'm with Nationwide and they were ok with the address but wouldn't send new debit cards here, so I got permission from a friend to use his address and he sends the cards on.

Lloyds Bank have my Thai address and automatically send to me to Thailand, my new credit and debit cards, also every month my statements to Thailand...same as other bank accounts that I have.

I've never had any problems.

They will send them out of the country if you pay for a courier service. I think it is something like 8 quid

HSBC will no longer send cards outside of the UK - they can send to a branch of your choice but person picking up your card will need ID and a letter bearing your signature authorising them to pick up the card on your behalf - usually the PIN number remains the same

I like many others have a UK Bank Acc ( HSBC ) been here in Thailand nearly 8 yrs, informed them that I'd married & was staying here full time & gave them my Thai address.

They said no problem & that they could or would send all mail,/statements if req'd & send new Debit & Credit cards to my Thai address, but they said that they couldn't sent my new bank cards by registered mail, even though I said that I'd grant permission to take the cost from my Account, but still said sorry we cannot do.

So you either chance it that they don't go missing in the Thai postal system ( which frequently does happen ) or you get them sent to someone in the UK who can send them by Registered Mail ( like I do )

One other small thing is that you must have a UK address to open an Acc but not always necessary to have a UK address to maintain one, which can make it impossible in my case to open a new Bank Acc

wow so many post with directing overseas bank mail.

confirm with bank if you can send O/s assume you already done this , best use a friends address if possible if cannot.

I have banking with other countries and no bank mail allowed overseas so i need to go personally to these countries to collect any new cards if needed.

Dont let your personal problems persist , these need to be cleaned up otherwise worst case scenario the govt. has wide reaching powers through freezing bank accounts , stopping passport, and gets worse ..

I think you will find if you don't have a uk address you cant have a bank account there. go on the internet and look, I know there are companies that you can have your mail sent there they will open it up and deal with things on your behalf or will forward the mail on to you here.

I think different banks have different policies, and the same bank may even treat two individual customers differently.

Here is a useful article from the UK Daily Telegraph expat section, dating from 2010, describing a survey of a small number of expats (50) who told their banks that they had a non-UK address. They found that a sizeable minority (~30%) had problems, and were asked to close their accounts, but the majority were not.

They describe banks' policies as a baffling lottery:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/8193761/Banks-have-lottery-style-approach-to-expats-who-want-to-retain-UK-bank-accounts.html

Extract:

"Athough there is no legislation which forbids expats from having an onshore account, some banks insist customers close their accounts when they leave the country, while others allow the accounts to remain open.

Now, Expat Money Channel has revealed the results of a survey which shows the situation is even more complicated than previously realised.

According to the website's survey of around 50 expats, whether an expat can keep or open a UK bank account depends on a variety of factors, including who customers bank with, how long they have been a customer, and what type of account they have. On some occasions, the website said, banks appear to be operating a “lottery-style approach”, applying different rules to customers in almost identical situations."

I think you will find if you don't have a uk address you cant have a bank account there. go on the internet and look, I know there are companies that you can have your mail sent there they will open it up and deal with things on your behalf or will forward the mail on to you here.

Not sure why you bothered to post this considering the many previous replies from individuals saying that generally it was not a problem...............coffee1.gif

To the OP:

It is not illegal to hold or open a UK bank account as a non resident, but policy that the majority of UK onshore banks are no longer accepting non resident accounts due to concerns of money laundering and terrorist activities. Some will accept non resident accounts but these fall under different terms and conditions, such as they do not pay interest and on-line facilities pertaining to those accounts are not permitted. Similar banking rules apply here in Thailand regarding non resident accounts.

Onshore UK banks will normally permit foreign addresses for their accounts, but the accounts holders are suppose to inform the bank that they are not resident in the UK, because many types of bank accounts are not applicable for non residents. If a UK bank begins to suspect that an account holder is non resident without being notified, than that bank may close and freeze the account, plus claim back any interest it considers the account holder was not entitled to including other fees it feels fit to charge.

The solution is to open an offshore UK account, or known as International banking, which is specially desired for non UK residents. Most offshore banks will send credit and debit cards via post and have on-line facilities that enable an offshore account holder to transfer funds to any country abroad in any currency. Usually the offshore interest rates are crap, but as I have explained above, these are the only options available.

Trying to bluff it out that he is a UK resident, is done at the OP`s own risk and discretion.

Some useful information:

http://www.connexionfrance.com/uk-bank-accounts-for-non-residents-10441-news-article.html

https://www.rapidformations.co.uk/blog/uk-non-residents-how-to-open-a-business-bank-account/

https://www.bba.org.uk/customers/personal-banking/current-accounts-personal-banking/bank-account-access-in-the-uk-for-non-residents-2/

Edited by Beetlejuice

Hi catman,

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

I had a UK address when I opened my HSBC Acc in 2007, & I told them that I was going to travel around S.E.Asia for several months in 2008 & when i decided on a permanent address that I would inform them which I did.

The point is that after I told them of my plans they thanked me for telling them & they said as long as I kept a good Acc & not overdrawn several times causing them to send letters out then there wouldn't be a problem.By the way I sold my house in the UK before I went on my travels,& had no other address at all.

I withdrew funds via ATM's in Vietnam, & Cambodia before settling in Thailand,& never had a problem.

To the OP:

It is not illegal to hold or open a UK bank account as a non resident, but policy that the majority of UK onshore banks are no longer accepting non resident accounts due to concerns of money laundering and terrorist activities. Some will accept non resident accounts but these fall under different terms and conditions, such as they do not pay interest and on-line facilities pertaining to those accounts are not permitted. Similar banking rules apply here in Thailand regarding non resident accounts.

Onshore UK banks will normally permit foreign addresses for their accounts, but the accounts holders are suppose to inform the bank that they are not resident in the UK, because many types of bank accounts are not applicable for non residents. If a UK bank begins to suspect that an account holder is non resident without being notified, than that bank may close and freeze the account, plus claim back any interest it considers the account holder was not entitled to including other fees it feels fit to charge.

The solution is to open an offshore UK account, or known as International banking, which is specially desired for non UK residents. Most offshore banks will send credit and debit cards via post and have on-line facilities that enable an offshore account holder to transfer funds to any country abroad in any currency. Usually the offshore interest rates are crap, but as I have explained above, these are the only options available.

Trying to bluff it out that he is a UK resident, is done at the OP`s own risk and discretion.

Some useful information:

http://www.connexionfrance.com/uk-bank-accounts-for-non-residents-10441-news-article.html

https://www.rapidformations.co.uk/blog/uk-non-residents-how-to-open-a-business-bank-account/

https://www.bba.org.uk/customers/personal-banking/current-accounts-personal-banking/bank-account-access-in-the-uk-for-non-residents-2/

As I posted earlier, the ESD regulations have stopped the UK Offshore banking for many of us.

Barclays would not specifically tell me how I had failed to pass. Not living in the EU, working for non-EU companies and paid in USD, one or all of those?

It depends entirely on the particular bank. HBOS, for example, should prove helpful. But Thailand is 'grey' when it comes to money laundering, so it might prove more difficult with another bank.

I have had very reputable sources of USD income paid into Barclays International for 20+ years but not good enough for ESD requirements it seems now. Another example of tightening government restrictions, and not for our benefit.