Immigration Residency Certificate for Driving Licence

Today i went to Immigration to obtain a Residency Certificate for to be used in my Driving Licence application and was told by them I have to go to the Driver Licensing Office first and get a Letter from them requesting Immigration to supply such a certificate. Then present the letter at Immigration and they will then issue me with the certificate after which I can then return to the Driver Licence office and apply for my Licence. I was told this is a new ruling as last year i just went to immigration office and asked for the certificate and paid the 500 baht and it was given to me in a matter of minutes. Has anyone else heard of this ridiculous waste of time and effort? The 2 offices are about 5 miles apart.

Yes, I have been using this method for over a year now in Songkhla province.

In the past Hat Yai immigration refused to issue certificates of residence until this method was introduced.

It means a 40km round trip but the head honcho's understand the method and I have a sample request letter which I scanned and present to the DLT.

When I applied for a driving test it was 20b for the letter and free certificate, when I changed a title of a bike at Hat Yai DLT it was free, and then I bought another and did the same at Songkhla DLT because it was from a different province - that letter was free, but I was fined 1800b for not registering my address but presented with 2x certificates as a sweetener, I could have used the other certificate to get another bank account or sell another bike or car.

Altogether a perfectly acceptable system, there are no blank stares or pleading for a certificate at immigration. I'm also sure it will work for a bank account, the bank has to request confirmation of address from the immigration office.

Edited by recom273

Immigration here in Ubon has not done a certificate of residency for years now to get a drivers license. The DLT gives you a form to be signed and stamped by immigration.

But the trip to immigration is not needed now. You just go to the tourist police office and they stamp and sign it.

• Like 1

Immigration here in Ubon has not done a certificate of residency for years now to get a drivers license. The DLT gives you a form to be signed and stamped by immigration.

But the trip to immigration is not needed now. You just go to the tourist police office and they stamp and sign it.

Why can't every location have some bureaucratic common sense?

• Like 2

Why can't every location have some bureaucratic common sense?

Here, like many other places, world wide, it is not very common. (sense)

• Like 1

I was going to ask if you got charged for the residency letter...but I see, 500 baht.

You would think this nice little earner would not require authorisation (ie the letter from the DLO), perhaps they are wary of other surreptitious uses.

Jomtiem does not require the letter, but will ask what it is for, and then insist you need 2 certificates if you are applying for car and M/Cycle licences together, and charge accordingly. It isn't true of course.

Edited by jacko45k

I was going to ask if you got charged for the residency letter...but I see, 500 baht.

You would think this nice little earner would not require authorisation (ie the letter from the DLO), perhaps they are wary of other surreptitious uses.

Jomtiem does not require the letter, but will ask what it is for, and then insist you need 2 letters if you are applying for car and M/Cycle licences together, and charge accordingly. It isn't true of course.

I had to get 2 also, so 2x500

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text

The correct procedure is as follows:

1. Yo need a Doctors certificate that you are of sound physical and mental health.

2. With the Doctors certificate in hand, go to the ministry of interiors in BKK, they will issue a certificate to certify that you are indeed residing.

3. Go to Your Embassy and obtain a certificate that you are actually the person in your passport.

4. With all this in hand, Go to the Ministry of Transportation and show them this, they will then for a minimal fee issue a letter of request to the Immigration office for a certificate of residency.

5. Go to the Immigration , present the certificate, they will then issue a certificate of residency, beware they might ask you for your old Driver license, if you do not have one they will ask you why you need one now.

6. Go to the Transportation Ministry and obtain your Driver license after presenting the certificate and all the other related documents.

Edited by AlQaholic

I wonder what they would say if you said you wanted one to buy a new car or motorbike.

On my first visit to apply for a DL, I went to immigration ready for war, I caught my local office who are notoriously difficult, off guard, I took an application form which I downloaded from TV.

They were really helpful and gave me a copy of the letter required with some other applicant.

I took that to the DLT and after receiving mine, steamed open the envelope and scanned it.

Ever since I just print off the letter and use it as a sample to present to the desk staff but the head guys who the case is referred to at the back of the room are aware of procedure.

I see your point here, if it were buying a new car then a garage could request the details, if you were buying a second hand car or bike then a certificate is not required until it's time to register the title.

Edited by recom273

I just renewed my automobile DL and got a motorcycle license at the Chiang Mai office a few weeks ago. I went to the Immigration office across from Promenada Mall and didn't need anything other than the 500 baht fee, a couple passport pictures and a copy of my lease to get the Certificate of Residence needed for the licenses (they let me use the same COR for both licenses so it saved my 500 baht). Upon return to the DL facility, I paid the fees for the 5 year renewal of my car DL then had to take the test to get a motorcycle DL. Wasted most of the day doing it as the lines were horrendous but like most things in this country if you have a bit of patience things eventually work out.

Let me guess a new rule only for farangs?

And why would a Thai need to get a residency certificate? smile.png

They show up with a copy of their "Yello Tabien Baan" instead, or the copy of their house book.

Edited by fxe1200

They show up with a copy of their "Yello Tabien Baan" instead, or the copy of their house book.

Thais don't have a yellow tabian ban. They have a blue one. More commonly known as a house book.

• Like 1

Thais don't have a yellow tabian ban. They have a blue one. More commonly known as a house book.

Your right, they copy the house book.

I just renewed my automobile DL and got a motorcycle license at the Chiang Mai office a few weeks ago. I went to the Immigration office across from Promenada Mall and didn't need anything other than the 500 baht fee, a couple passport pictures and a copy of my lease to get the Certificate of Residence needed for the licenses (they let me use the same COR for both licenses so it saved my 500 baht). Upon return to the DL facility, I paid the fees for the 5 year renewal of my car DL then had to take the test to get a motorcycle DL. Wasted most of the day doing it as the lines were horrendous but like most things in this country if you have a bit of patience things eventually work out.

Not a fee, its tea-money (corruption) - Cert. of Res. is for free, no fee ....

CM Immigration opposite Promenada extort many people to pay bribes unless you refuse in which case you just wait 1 month to get the Cert.

• Like 1