Immigration Residency Certificate for Driving Licence

Immigration here in Ubon has not done a certificate of residency for years now to get a drivers license. The DLT gives you a form to be signed and stamped by immigration.

But the trip to immigration is not needed now. You just go to the tourist police office and they stamp and sign it.

Why can't every location have some bureaucratic common sense?

Why would that be common sense for me,when immi is 10kms away and tourist office is 40 klms away?

The correct procedure is as follows:

1. Yo need a Doctors certificate that you are of sound physical and mental health.

2. With the Doctors certificate in hand, go to the ministry of interiors in BKK, they will issue a certificate to certify that you are indeed residing.

3. Go to Your Embassy and obtain a certificate that you are actually the person in your passport.

4. With all this in hand, Go to the Ministry of Transportation and show them this, they will then for a minimal fee issue a letter of request to the Immigration office for a certificate of residency.

5. Go to the Immigration , present the certificate, they will then issue a certificate of residency, beware they might ask you for your old Driver license, if you do not have one they will ask you why you need one now.

6. Go to the Transportation Ministry and obtain your Driver license after presenting the certificate and all the other related documents.

Luckily us upcountry boys can ignore that.

Immigration here in Ubon has not done a certificate of residency for years now to get a drivers license. The DLT gives you a form to be signed and stamped by immigration.

But the trip to immigration is not needed now. You just go to the tourist police office and they stamp and sign it.

Why can't every location have some bureaucratic common sense?

Why would that be common sense for me,when immi is 10kms away and tourist office is 40 klms away?

It is the opposite here. Less an 1 km to the tourist police office and and about 55 km to immigration from the DLT office.

I had to do the same here in Buriram at Gap Churng office. Found out the hard way. Had to make two trips. And no charges at either place.

You don't need to do that in Buriram for driving licence. A cert issued by the local police is sufficient.

I renewed my 5 year license last year, all I needed was a copy of my house registration yellow book, a letter from my local doctor and the fee.

Have I missed the point here or has it really changed that much.

Unfortunately, not all offices of the Land Transportation Department accept the yellow house registration book for the driving licence.

UbonJoe: Got my DL in Ubon a few weeks ago: Even more simple now in Ubon - straight to the Tourist Police and they have you fill in a form (super-nice people - they even made color photocopies of my passport as needed by the DLT) [30 minutes] then off to Medical Office in back of DLT for a full comprehensive health check-up [2 minutes] and into DLT where they waived everything except the color-blind test and walked out with my Thai Drivers License. All done and dusted in less than 2 hours.

I went to Huahin Immigration to get the certificate of residence last month for the renewal of my 5 year car and motor bike licence.. Cost 500 bt . each .. Total 1000 bt. My wife complained as she thought the amount was excessive and she asked for a receipt .. Their reply was "if you don't want it hear go to Bangkok to get it"... Upon their insistence for that there would be no receipt my Thai Wife rang the Army Corruption line. The response there was that it was quite ok for then to take money with no receipt...She did point out to them that this is CORRUPTION AS THERE IS NO RECIEPT But they said that was ok... My wife was amazed and said " how can the Army stop corruption if its ok with them if Government Departments take money and refuse to issue a receipt"!!!!!

Unfortunately she is right . IT WILL CAN NOT STOP IF THATS THE ETHOS. James