Cambodians arrested over torture and murder of 'sorcerer'

geovalin

Four men have been arrested following the grisly torture and murder of an accused sorcerer on Tuesday night in Mondulkiri province.

The victim, Nheak Kamprea, 28, was allegedly killed by three of the arrested men after being lured into a forested area of Keo Seima district’s Memang commune.

The fourth man arrested had originally helped lure him to the location, but fled when the attack began and told the victim’s wife, who alerted police.

“I checked on the victim’s body, and I can conclude that he was tortured in a very cruel way before he died,

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/familiar-pattern-mkiri-slaying

Still around 60% illiteracy in Cambodia. What do you expect? My friend has a joke, he watched Terminator with his Cambodian gf, she thinks Terminator is real. Why do they think Tiger Balm and Birds Nest soup are medicines?

I am bewildered that anyone could keep a girlfriend like that. BTW, if you're a juggler, CrummyJuggler, then come to our meetup on Tuesdays:

You are quite out of date on the literacy. It is over 80% now for adults and among younger people it is close to universal. Already also close to universal schooling through grade 6 for the younger generation. Of course, among older people, many with no education and illiterate but their share of the total population drops yearly.

There is a thriving Cambodian middle class now and growing exponentially in numbers. They are not, however, the population segment that works in bars or actively seeks out an expat boyfriend.

Actually this superstition seems to be common throughout Asia. I came across similar beliefs in Indonesia, from 3 separate persons, and one, who was ill and expecting to die was a prominent businessman who was closely associated with a government minister. He wholeheartedly believed he had been cursed by a shaman and despite multiple examinations by doctors who could find no reason for his illnesses he was barely able to hold a normal conversation with me, other than explaining his predicament. No doubt all in the mind but very real to the poor man.

Two other instances involved a newspaper reporter and a young lady, the fear in their mind was very obvious.

Regards txt.

You are quite out of date on the literacy. It is over 80% now for adults and among younger people it is close to universal. Already also close to universal schooling through grade 6 for the younger generation. Of course, among older people, many with no education and illiterate but their share of the total population drops yearly.

There is a thriving Cambodian middle class now and growing exponentially in numbers. They are not, however, the population segment that works in bars or actively seeks out an expat boyfriend.

Your comment about a "thriving middle class" got me thinking, so I looked it up. 70% of Cambodians live in poverty, which is about the same percentage who work in agriculture/forestry. Middle class was defined as folks with approximately $2.50 - $5 of disposable income per day. These were World Bank figures quoted in article about the market for moto-bikes and who can afford to purchase new ones. I found it interesting that <$5 a day of spending money makes you middle class.

So I was wrong. I didn't lower the bar enough but now I see that there is a thriving middle class all around me. Those idiot tuk tuk guys, who wake up long enough to clap at me for my attention are middle class, and frankly, so are the bar girls. I had no idea, and with 6th grade educations? I have been underestimating everyone. I will go out and make new friends today. I wonder what we will talk about?

I live in scambodia and i would like to find 1 or 2 of them that speak English....and this is a tourist down. You would think more cambos would speak English. Not!