Backpacking Asia during Rainy Season

HarryUK

Hey guys,

I feel like going back to Asia to backpack thailand, laos, cambodia, malaysia, singapore, indonesia then hong kong during late july until late september/october - is this doable during rainy season? or is it worth waiting until the dry season? I'm trying to do it on a budget so i guess that's a bonus for doing it during rainy season, but i don't want it raining every day and i can't do anything!

Thoughts people?

- Harry

You mean "backpack and sleep in the forests" or "tour Asia carrying a backpack"? If the latter, no problem as it commonly rains only in spurts of an hour or so. If the former, the forests will be soggy and fairly unpleasant (based on my army experience of slogging thru wet jungle).

I'll assume you mean to carry your things in a backpack and carry the Lonely Planet guides so that you can stay with all the other young people who travel the world on the cheap.
Well, it doesn't get cheaper than rainy (low) season in most all of the countries you mentioned.
So, why not?

The only issue could be some activities being canceled or delayed. Just this week, tourists had issues with sea transport down near Phuket. But if in no hurry, no big deal.

Sometimes roads flood and get washed out. As long as you are flexible, you'll be fine!

HK gets quite hot in summer.

Depends on your idea of a holiday.

I live in the South, so can only advise about the smaller towns / islands of Trang, Krabi, downwards.

I notice a great holiday vibe from December - March. During the Southern rainy season in the smaller Andaman islands / costal towns you find bungalows without customers / staff .. Restaurants closed until high season. Tours may not run every day. Kitchens lacking (fresh) ingredients. I also like to meet new people, theres nothing more depressing than having a bungalow resort to yourself, but for others may be heaven.

Having said that, the room rates will be the lowest, you might enjoy the solitude.

The raining season is the best season for Asian and all will be cheaper. This year the hot season was very very hot, do not worry and travel at ease. Lonely beach might be a little more lonely but there are always bungalows and bars opened. Except for Nepal, you can travel in the rain, it is never continue, it often only rain after 18:00 hr and stop at 06:00. Enjoy.

No problem at all really. If you stick to the Gulf Coast of Thailand rather than West coast the weather is much drier during these months. Indonesia is perfect at this time of year and high season there. Apart from Bali you should be able to do Indonesia very cheaply. In Thailand it rarely rains all day in the wet season. Malaysia east Coast is dry season also, so focus more on that coast.

If you are going to be carrying around any cameras or electronics, make sure you take some silica gel packs with you. Store your camera in a bag with a few of these and you won't have issues with humidity.

Silica_gel_bag_open_with_beads.jpg

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, I really appreciate it!

I have another question, If i was to start in thailand on the regular entry visa, go to cambodia but in 2 weeks time renter via a border, would I be fine getting in?

I'm from the UK

Thanks!

Does the humidity ease off a little during late September early October? We will be visiting then - driving from Swampy, stay couple nights in Lop Buri then Lampang and Chiang Rai for a few weeks. Been visiting LoS yearly for nearly 40 years but always November to February because I don't handle it to well.