US condemns Thailand for Uighur deportation

webfact

US condemns Thailand for Uighur deportation

BANGKOK: -- The United States condemned Thailand on Thursday for its deportation of 100 ethnic Uighurs to China and warned they could face "harsh treatment," as the international incident inflames diplomatic tensions.

The US "expressed our grave disappointment to Thailand," State Department spokesman John Kirby said.

"We condemn Thailand’s forced deportation on July 9 of over 100 ethnic Uighurs to China, where they could face harsh treatment and a lack of due process," the department said in a statement.

The fate of a group of Uighurs in Thailand had been in doubt after Thailand sentenced them for illegal entry to the country in 2014.

Thailand announced the deportation Thursday of the Uighurs, a Muslim minority in China’s northwest who speak Turkic and have often opposed Chinese control.

It was also revealed that some of the group had been sent to Turkey in June.

Anti-Chinese protesters stormed the Thai consulate in Istanbul in protest of the controversial deportation, the latest demonstration in the country over China’s treatment of Uighurs.

Human rights groups say Uighurs who flee China face possible torture and other abuses if returned.

There are around 10 million Uighurs in China’s northwest Xinjiang region and many say they face cultural and religious repression.

"This action runs counter to Thailand’s international obligations as well as its long-standing practice of providing safe haven to vulnerable persons," the State Department said in the statement, urging the country to halt further deportations.

Aid organizations should have "unfettered" access to the Uighurs and Thailand should respect its international obligations not to expel refugees, the US said.

"We urge Thailand to allow those remaining ethnic Uighurs to depart voluntarily to a country of their choice."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/US-condemns-Thailand-for-Uighur-deportation-30264161.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-10

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the USA, the biggest hypocrites on the planet, self appointed world policeman is at it again. I have said it before and I say it again. Who gives a fyling firetruck what the yanks say. Fix your own problems in your own country before telling everyone else what to do.

Despite the many things about Thailand I like, Thailand really need to have a good hard look at itself and start to treat its fellow man with a bit more kindness and compassion when it comes to issues of migration. Just remember that we (the majority of TVF users) are also migrants, not expats, not retirees, not farangs, but migrants.

So the USA, the biggest hypocrites on the planet, self appointed world policeman is at it again. I have said it before and I say it again. Who gives a fyling firetruck what the yanks say. Fix your own problems in your own country before telling everyone else what to do.

So you think the yanks should shut up on the issue. Fair enough. So which countries opinion do you think is worth something on this matter?

Many countries and organizations are condemning Thailand's handling of this "issue". Unfortunately, experienced diplomats are on the outs here currently, and the Military is driving pretty much everything, with less than desirable results.

The office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said it was "shocked" and considered Thailand's action "a flagrant violation of international law". Volker Türk, UNHCR's assistant high commissioner for protection, said in a statement.

Can't wait for the Thai governments announcement that they don't understand why they are ranked so low on the human rights list of the US, or any other country in the world for that matter.

So where is the US on his own list bearing in mind they kidnapp people all over the world, throw them in secrets jails, torture them and send them to Quantanamo without ever seen a lawer or judge?

Can't wait for the Thai governments announcement that they don't understand why they are ranked so low on the human rights list of the US, or any other country in the world for that matter.

So where is the US on his own list bearing in mind they kidnapp people all over the world, throw them in secrets jails, torture them and send them to Quantanamo without ever seen a lawer or judge?

So where is the relation between Uighurs and Alqueda and ISIS terrorist.

I get the impression that you suggest we should let the terrorist have their go.

Who gives a fyling firetruck what the yanks say.

Well, since you keep repeating it yourself, it does seem like you have an appreciation for airborne fire-fighting equipment.

Anyway, why shoot the messenger? Do you think Thailand did the "right" thing in returning these individuals? If so, maybe just make that argument.

So you think the yanks should shut up on the issue. Fair enough. So which countries opinion do you think is worth something on this matter?

Thailand's.

They have the right to say who is allowed into their country. It is not the US's place to tell Thailand which immigrants to allow in. Why didn't the US fly them to America if they cared so much? The US if the 'Land of Immigrants'; not Thailand.

How about USA takes them instead.

"There are around 10 million Uighurs in China’s northwest Xinjiang region and many say they face cultural and religious repression."

USA is also doing a kind of cultural and religious repression fighting ISIS.....

There's a fine line between persecution and prosecution. Man Haron Monis claimed he was being persecuted in Iran - Iran said he faced prosecution.

With 20/20 hindsight sending him home for prosecution would have been a fine idea.

So where is the relation between Uighurs and Alqueda and ISIS terrorist.

I get the impression that you suggest we should let the terrorist have their go.

This is about the US critizising on humand rights while they themselfs don't give a hoot about them. Who says the people being picked up by the US are terrorist, there has never been a trail. It could be a guy banging the wife of a CIA agent. Nobody knows but they just trust what the agency is saying and they have a good track record with the truth (NOT).

US condemns Thailand for “forced deportation”of ethnic Uighurs

10-7-2558-11-19-32-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The United States last night condemned Thailand for what it called "forced deportation" of over 100 ethnic Uighurs to China on July 9 saying they could face harsh treatment and a lack of due process.

But Thailand strongly dismissed its accusation of forced deportation saying it had strictly complied with its international commitment with regards to humanitarian and human rights and freedom.

The Thai spokesman said Thailand has considered the matter cautiously with regards to the principle of rights and freedom, on humanitarian ground, and its commitments under international laws.

He said there are still 60 Uighurs who have no evidence of committing offences under its care and Thailand will consider appropriate move again.

In a statement condemning Thailand’s action, the United States said, “This action runs counter to Thailand’s international obligations as well as its long-standing practice of providing safe haven to vulnerable persons. We remain deeply concerned about the protection of all asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants in Thailand, and we strongly urge the Government of Thailand, and other governments in countries where Uighurs have taken refuge, not to carry out further forced deportations of ethnic Uighurs.

We further urge Chinese authorities to uphold international norms and to ensure transparency, due process, and proper treatment of these individuals. We will continue to stress to all parties concerned the importance of respecting human rights and honoring their obligations under international law.

We have consistently urged Thai authorities at all levels to adhere to Thailand’s international obligations under the Convention Against Torture, which mandates that countries refrain from refoulement. International humanitarian organizations should also have unfettered access to them to ensure that their humanitarian and protection needs are met. We urge Thailand to allow those remaining ethnic Uighurs to depart voluntarily to a country of their choice.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-condemns-thailand-for-forced-deportationof-ethnic-uighurs

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-10

Despite the many things about Thailand I like, Thailand really need to have a good hard look at itself and start to treat its fellow man with a bit more kindness and compassion when it comes to issues of migration. Just remember that we (the majority of TVF users) are also migrants, not expats, not retirees, not farangs, but migrants.

How ever you may have forgotten to add that even after all that we are legally in the country and have complied with the immigration laws, which it appears the UIghers did not.

Yes and I am glad they do it.

It never ceases to amaze me how some TV support Thailand regardless of any wrong doing. You embarrass yourselves. As a native UK living here for many years, I criticize the UK when they do stupid things and I accept it. Why can't some posters here do the same for Thailand when they clearly are doing things that are non conducive to their image? At the moment with the way things are here in Thailand, the country needs to be seen in a positive light by the rest of the modern world. News like this doesn't help.

How about USA takes them instead.

"There are around 10 million Uighurs in China’s northwest Xinjiang region and many say they face cultural and religious repression."

USA is also doing a kind of cultural and religious repression fighting ISIS.....

In the exercise of their perverted view of Islam, ISIS posts videos of their execution of hundreds captured soldiers on the internet, massacres those it considers non-believers, and sells non-Muslim women into slavery. That is a culture and religious belief that someone needs to repress, don't you think?

"Thailand strongly dismissed its accusation of forced deportation saying it had strictly complied with its international commitment with regards to humanitarian and human rights and freedom."

Then perhaps a reassessment of its "international commitments" is required.

You post reeks of stupidity. So since the US has problems (like all countries) they aren't ever allowed to comment on world matters? I also wouldn't call the US self appointed world police since many of the countries around the world are the ones asking for their help. I get it, you're antiUS, but at least use logic when speaking.

Many countries and organizations are condemning Thailand's handling of this "issue". Unfortunately, experienced diplomats are on the outs here currently, and the Military is driving pretty much everything, with less than desirable results.

The office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said it was "shocked" and considered Thailand's action "a flagrant violation of international law". Volker Türk, UNHCR's assistant high commissioner for protection, said in a statement.

Not all but many on UN HC are worthless turkeyswhistling.gif , who need to get out of the office and their suits or blouses and go to the camps and get down and dirty...

I think you could be right, all Western Embassy's would have lodged official protests , the big daddy is the US and of course the game being played with Prayut - O is well documented , however I would say he wouldn't be welcome very much anywhere where Democracy is the main religion of choice and the further Prayut - O goes the less likely of co- operation, except from China.

PM Prayut said this week that he had to send these people back before they started breeding and having litters? Sensitive chap.

That said, they may be better off in China than rotting away in Thailand?

Death of Uyghur child in Thai custody highlights plight of detainees

Five months after the death in custody of a three-year old ethnic Uyghur boy in southern Thailand, questions remain over the circumstances leading to his demise and the conditions facing some 370 other Uyghur refugees detained for more than a year after fleeing northwestern China’s Xinjiang region.
Abdullah Abduweli had been receiving treatment for tuberculosis — a highly contagious bacterial infection of the lungs — for around two months at a hospital in Songkhla province’s Hat Yai city before he died early in the morning on December 22, 2014, according to sources.