Wifi Antennas - Longest Range

ryanhull

Hey Guys,

Yesterday I went out and bought a decent wifi antenna, only a cheap jobbie

item_XL_8041169_7914778.jpg

Anyway I am moving into a village soon with no internet connection unless I get 10 people to sign up, and I do not want to go down the 3G route long term, anyway I have been looking at directional wifi antennas and some quite nice setups with some people claiming to get up to 5-6 mile range, as the next village (about 1km away has internet) I was going to see what I could pick up then offer to pay there bill if I can tap into it (cheeky I know)

Anyway the antenna I am looking at buying then I pop back to the UK is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Outdoor-Parabolic-27dBi-Antenna-10M-cable-WIFISKY-Signal-Booster-USB-3W-/271780612991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f47630b7f

My question is to you guys, do any of you have one of these 'silly' high range antennas? and what sort of ranges are you getting? I will hopefully also buy a lightning rod too an try to get it as high as possible, playing around with the direction to see what I can pick up. Luckily for me there is no real high buildings in the village and most other houses are made of wood...

All in all, I know alot of it comes down to the receiver for example if someone has a crappy rooter then I cannot expect much, but in any-case it kind of interests me so its not a wasted 5000 bhat I am sure I will have fun with it!

What wifi antennas do you guys have and what ranges are you getting? also any tips on what antenna to buy?

Cheers

try using a discarded sat. dish and a wifi stick mounted in the "sweet spot" (( focus spot )

Thanks for the reply, Ive read up alot about doing that but I have read alot of articles saying always buy a wifi specific dish and never do a 'diy' job, i know some people have made some great antennas with dishes etc but alot of articles say the proper made for wifi antennas will always give you a slightly better range.... hey I heard of one guy using a tea strainer and a beans can getting a 1 mile range! lol

cheers

Anything reaching a mile will be slow and unreliable....possible but see if you can get 3g in the area first, likely better.

Also to reach a mile you need uninterupted line of sight, no walls, trees etc so worth checking the view first.

Plus rain and to a lesser extent humidity will reduce it.

Best bet is round up 10 neighbours, more and more willing now and will be 50x better service.

You would also need to calculate the fresnel zone, antenna will need to be higher than you may think.. love the classic metal bowl suggestion but will be no use in your situation as the only improvement is in isolation from interfering wifi's and no real gain. 5-6 miles is a little too ambitious for 2.4 Ghz wifi, 801.abgn wifi though.

Dont waste too much money on this..

I've connected two WiFi Access Points using the Dish method over a distance of 23 mi / 37 km.

TOT WiNet and AIS AirNet use radio link pairs to transfer 100mbps with distances under 25 km, using ready-made WISP directional panel radio/routers.

Take a look at Outdoor Access Points offered by shops such as InvadeIt. A pair of units will work over a good distance.

TP-LINK High Power Wireless Access Point TL-WA7210N is dedicated to WISP CPE solutions and long distance wireless network solutions. It features up to 500mw wireless transmission power and has a built-in 12dBi dual-polarized antenna which provides an efficient way to pick up and maintains a stable signal for a wireless network connection ranging multiple kilometers.

TP-LINK’s 2.4GHz 300Mbps 9dBi Outdoor CPE, the CPE210 is dedicated to cost effective solutions for outdoor wireless networking applications. With its centralized management application, it is ideal for point-to-point, point-to-multipoint and outdoor Wi-Fi coverage applications.

Built-in 9dBi 2x2 dual-polarized directional MIMO antenna, Adjustable transmission power from 0 to 27dBm/500mw, System-level optimizations for more than 5km long range wireless transmission

TP-LINK’s 5GHz 300Mbps 13dBi Outdoor CPE, the CPE510 is dedicated to cost effective solutions for outdoor wireless networking applications. With its centralized management application, it is ideal for point-to-point, point-to-multipoint and outdoor Wi-Fi coverage applications

Built-in 13dBi 2x2 dual-polarized directional MIMO antenna, Adjustable transmission power from 0 to 27dBm/500mw, System-level optimizations for more than 15km long range wireless transmission
Just make sure they have Line-of-Sight of each other, no large objects between them. As Satcommlee has already stated, you would also need to calculate the fresnel zone to make sure the two devices being linked are high enough above ground or intervening objects to allow for at least 80% uninterrupted path.

+ several ^^^

BUT

If you want to get internet do talk to TOT, WiNet works well and could be available in your area, AIS have a similar service (AirNet) if TOT fail to come up with the goods.

I've connected two WiFi Access Points using the Dish method over a distance of 23 mi / 37 km.

TOT WiNet and AIS AirNet use radio link pairs to transfer 100mbps with distances under 25 km, using ready-made WISP directional panel radio/routers.

Take a look at Outdoor Access Points offered by shops such as InvadeIt. A pair of units will work over a good distance.

TP-LINK High Power Wireless Access Point TL-WA7210N is dedicated to WISP CPE solutions and long distance wireless network solutions. It features up to 500mw wireless transmission power and has a built-in 12dBi dual-polarized antenna which provides an efficient way to pick up and maintains a stable signal for a wireless network connection ranging multiple kilometers.

TP-LINK’s 2.4GHz 300Mbps 9dBi Outdoor CPE, the CPE210 is dedicated to cost effective solutions for outdoor wireless networking applications. With its centralized management application, it is ideal for point-to-point, point-to-multipoint and outdoor Wi-Fi coverage applications.

Built-in 9dBi 2x2 dual-polarized directional MIMO antenna, Adjustable transmission power from 0 to 27dBm/500mw, System-level optimizations for more than 5km long range wireless transmission

TP-LINK’s 5GHz 300Mbps 13dBi Outdoor CPE, the CPE510 is dedicated to cost effective solutions for outdoor wireless networking applications. With its centralized management application, it is ideal for point-to-point, point-to-multipoint and outdoor Wi-Fi coverage applications

Built-in 13dBi 2x2 dual-polarized directional MIMO antenna, Adjustable transmission power from 0 to 27dBm/500mw, System-level optimizations for more than 15km long range wireless transmission
Just make sure they have Line-of-Sight of each other, no large objects between them. As Satcommlee has already stated, you would also need to calculate the fresnel zone to make sure the two devices being linked are high enough above ground or intervening objects to allow for at least 80% uninterrupted path.

I think that you will find that the technology you speak of is not classic WiFi but what once was touted as WiMAx -- and a similar technology done with Motorola Canopy transceivers ... this is not a WiFi router that your specs are talking about..

It can be done. I have something similar working in BKK. In my case the distance is only 2-300M but I'm confident 1KM would be ok with the right conditions. I have no particular technical knowledge in this subject but I can tell you the basics that I learned setting it up.

The first and most important consideration has already been mentioned by Satcommlee and RichCor but I say it again because if you don't have clear line of sight (incl the fresnal zone) that is a deal breaker and you can forget about it.

You should at least be aware too that this isn't legal in Thailand. Probably that's not a big deal but if you have a nosy neighbour at either end that thinks you might be radiating them you could have problems.

Rather than thinking in terms of simply putting up an antenna to increase the range of a WiFi access point, the solution you want is referred to as a wireless bridge. That means that you have 2 identical devices at either end which only transmit to and receive from each other and do so securely. In simple terms the end result is just as if you had stretched a LAN cable over the distance you want to cover.

Though it seems logical to use an external antenna that doesn't work well with low powered devices because unless the antenna cable is very short the signal loss is too great. It is better to use purpose designed devices where the whole device is a single weatherproof unit. Both the network connection and power for the device is provided by a single LAN cable which can be up to approx 100M length.

The good news is that this can be done pretty cheaply. I used these devices http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/150Mbps-outdoor-poe-2-rj45-high-power-long-range-wireless-n-cpe-router-repeater-bridge-outdoor/439313_1418570021.html which cost USD90 for a pair including shipping. They are pretty much the same as the devices suggested above by RichCor. Technically they are the same as a standard WiFi access point but have a builtin directional antenna, are weatherproof and powered by POE. The only other costs will be mounting them and the LAN cable required at each end.

My setup actually required 2 wireless bridges because the objective was to provide internet access to 2 units in a fairly old Condo complex where the only alternative was ADSL over old phone lines. Our office has a 50Mb/s DOCSIS connection and is close to the complex but there is another block in between. Since we have another unit in the offending block which has clear line of sight to either end we could still make it work.

Considering how cheap it was It works amazingly well. When pinging the office router from the furthest point there is some extra latency but the people using it say it isn't noticeable in normal use i.e. web browsing, skype calling and downloading etc.

You would also need to calculate the fresnel zone, antenna will need to be higher than you may think.. love the classic metal bowl suggestion but will be no use in your situation as the only improvement is in isolation from interfering wifi's and no real gain. 5-6 miles is a little too ambitious for 2.4 Ghz wifi, 801.abgn wifi though.

Dont waste too much money on this..

5 - 6 miles is EASily achievable with the correct antennas. The record is 260miles :)

I've personally got just over 3KM's with a little Linksys usb adapter and some card/foil as a reflector/amplifier. I documented it in this forum back in 2007/2008 with pictures and instructions how to build your own, so it'll be in the search tool....

Is there a TrueWifi signal in the area ? I ask as here in the UK we have BTWifi - i've build a little linux repeater that took this single signal, and rebroadcast it over a local AP - worked quite well.. Would be happy to post a Pi image if that helps - most of the legwork done.

Thanks all for the replies really appreciated, although I am staying away from the DIY options as I am not the best with stuff like that and would sooner buy one.

Google bangkokwireless.net

They have everything you could ever need and a lot more you didn't know you needed.

Speak English and are extremely knowledgeable.

Seems good, I am in bangkok this weekend, I will go check this place out, anyone know if that big IT mall will have any good antennas? or where else to check?

Is there a TrueWifi signal in the area ? I ask as here in the UK we have BTWifi - i've build a little linux repeater that took this single signal, and rebroadcast it over a local AP - worked quite well.. Would be happy to post a Pi image if that helps - most of the legwork done.

I wish mate, if there was a TrueWifi around I would be sorted, saying that I have only scanned using my phone so maybe with an antenna I might pick it up?

I like the look of the Outdoor CPE 510 5Ghz, yet I am a little confused how this works as an antenna, lets say I have the following hardware 1. Mac laptop 2. USB Wireless adapter (With SMA Antenna port) would that be sufficient? this seems to plug into a rooter, yet I woouldnt have a rooter would I as the whole point is to just use it as an antenna to scan for wifi signals?

Thanks alot all for the replies

Thanks all for the replies really appreciated, although I am staying away from the DIY options as I am not the best with stuff like that and would sooner buy one.

Google bangkokwireless.net

They have everything you could ever need and a lot more you didn't know you needed.

Speak English and are extremely knowledgeable.

Seems good, I am in bangkok this weekend, I will go check this place out, anyone know if that big IT mall will have any good antennas? or where else to check?

I wish mate, if there was a TrueWifi around I would be sorted, saying that I have only scanned using my phone so maybe with an antenna I might pick it up?

I like the look of the Outdoor CPE 510 5Ghz, yet I am a little confused how this works as an antenna, lets say I have the following hardware 1. Mac laptop 2. USB Wireless adapter (With SMA Antenna port) would that be sufficient? this seems to plug into a rooter, yet I woouldnt have a rooter would I as the whole point is to just use it as an antenna to scan for wifi signals?

Thanks alot all for the replies

The manufactured devices I called out are Point-to-Point modules, they replace the LONG CABLE one would normally need to run from location A to location B with an "Air interface". The devices are specially made all-in-one Ethernet Bridge / Digital Radio / Directional Antenna.

Suggested application: Get Internet to another building seen in the distance

ISP Network Operations Center => ADSL/Cable/Fiber Connection => Consumer Modem/Router (preferably in Bridge Mode) => CPE 510 Ethernet port

a. CPE 510 5GHz digital radio built-in directional panel antenna pointing at

b. CPE 510 5GHz digital radio built-in directional panel antenna pointing back

CPE 510 Ethernet port => Consumer Router (or Consumer Router/WiFi)

This solution redirects the original Internet Connection over the "Air Interface" to the second location. The second location now has the SAME Internet that would normally would only be delivered working at the first location.

A second Router and two CPE 510 devices are required to make the connection.

ubiquiti-how-to-setup-point-to-point-wir

Edited by RichCor

I see, thanks for that info makes more sense now.

I just spoke with bangkokwireless.net via there facebook chat and they have recommended OPR2421-NJ-01 priced at 3,950 bhat, then id need an N type to SMA pigtail lead, I could then hook that antenna up to the roof via my USB wirelress adapter on a ling lightening pole and see what I pick up, wether that be truemove wifi or someone in the next village etc, bit of a gamble I know but to be honest I would quite like to have such an antenna for say if I go to a hotel and the wifi signal isnt great (overkill I know)

http://www.bangkokwireless.net/306-thickbox_default/opr2421-nj-01-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A8-wifi-point-to-point-bridge-24-ghz-21-dbi-outdoor-flat-panel-antenna.jpg

Cheers

Your USB WiFi adapter already have high dBi gain antennas, so although they put out and receive WiFi signals in a 360° flattened circle, it's already better than using equipment with a 3dBi antenna, or one with no external antenna at all.

While you can replace the current 360° rx/tx antennas with a flat panel 15dBi gain antenna, you still need a Internet Service Provider operating a WiFi Hotspot, as I wouldn't suggest leaching off an unknown someone's open WiFi service.

Another issue with using an 15dBi high gain Highly Directional Beam Width panel is that in order to have that rx/tx signal gain the signal pattern is limited to 15°-H Plane / 16°-V Plane, meaning it can only see signals directly in front of it (all other signals are ignored/rejected). You would have to set it up, scan, turn it 15°, scan, turn, scan, turn ... until you've achieved 360° to see all the available Access Points around you (and hope few were missed because of bad timing). If you know where the signal is coming form, then great.

I did something similar to get use a 3BB Hotspot that gave me 10mbps unlimited Internet for 99THB/mo while I stayed in a guest house for 6 months. In my case I just used a USB WiFi stick with a 3dBi external antenna and hung it on the end of two USB extension cables outside a window. The 3BB WiFi HotSpot was about 500-700m from me.

If you are in a permanent location and want stable, predictable internet and the ISP won't bring service to you, then I'd highly suggest you create a wireless bridge using a pair of dedicated radios and your idea of getting ISP service in a nearby village within line-of-sight access. Some people have found way less expensive units on AliExpress, OK for a cheaper alternative if you don't mind replacing them when they pop after an electrical storm.

Both AliExpress and InvadeIt sell the external sma or N-type antennas

AliExpress even have USB long-range high-gain panel antennas (no rf signal loss due to long antenna cables)

Edited by RichCor

Your USB WiFi adapter already have high dBi gain antennas, so although they put out and receive WiFi signals in a 360° flattened circle, it's already better than using equipment with a 3dBi antenna, or one with no external antenna at all.

While you can replace the current 360° rx/tx antennas with a flat panel 15dBi gain antenna, you still need a Internet Service Provider operating a WiFi Hotspot, as I wouldn't suggest leaching off an unknown someone's open WiFi service.

Another issue with using an 15dBi high gain Highly Directional Beam Width panel is that in order to have that rx/tx signal gain the signal pattern is limited to 15°-H Plane / 16°-V Plane, meaning it can only see signals directly in front of it (all other signals are ignored/rejected). You would have to set it up, scan, turn it 15°, scan, turn, scan, turn ... until you've achieved 360° to see all the available Access Points around you (and hope few were missed because of bad timing). If you know where the signal is coming form, then great.

I did something similar to get use a 3BB Hotspot that gave me 10mbps unlimited Internet for 99THB/mo while I stayed in a guest house for 6 months. In my case I just used a USB WiFi stick with a 3dBi external antenna and hung it on the end of two USB extension cables outside a window. The 3BB WiFi HotSpot was about 500-700m from me.

If you are in a permanent location and want stable, predictable internet and the ISP won't bring service to you, then I'd highly suggest you create a wireless bridge using a pair of dedicated radios and your idea of getting ISP service in a nearby village within line-of-sight access. Some people have found way less expensive units on AliExpress, OK for a cheaper alternative if you don't mind replacing them when they pop after an electrical storm.

Thanks again for the reply/info.

Your suggestion relies on someone in the next village allowing me to stick an antenna/radio on there roof right? which might be quite easily done to be honest with a few bhat on the table but at the same time they might just say no.... the way I see it is my first call is to do exactly what you mentioned whatever device it may be with regards to your example trying to say pick up the 3BB wifi hotspot/true hotspot etc.... for now I am just looking for the best antenna for that specific job... failing that your right it looks like I will have to consider the bridge route and have a chat with the next village who do have the internet.

I assume if I can get a decent antenna very high up in the air, playing around with the direction until I pick something up I might be in luck, of course I may well find nothing and waste money and time, but at the end of the day at-least I still have the hardware to use in the car or something.

Cheers

You could also look at Ubiquiti or Deliberant products (wireless routers/AP's which are available in Thailand (NSM2/5, LOCOm2/5, APC2/5 etc...)

Sysnetcentre/easynetwork websites and many more.

There are several products which could be used to connect to a remote Wifi signal over a distance of several km's (theoretically you need a clear LOS) and the one device can then receive and transmit in wisp (wireless/lan) mode.

Edited by userabcd

Thanks for the replies all, going to have a little scan around the village today... hopefully I won't get too many funny looks from the locals

35mif52.jpg

They'll just think you really like your Thai TV programs.

You do realize that with your antennas set in that position you're signal will be biased, accepting Forward & Back over long distance, and rejecting Left and Right over long distance.

Locals might think you are spying on them for the government?

Villagers Detain Google Street View Driver In Thailand, Accuse Him Of Spying

BANGKOK -- Internet giant Google's Street View project, which has raised privacy concerns in several countries, has ignited a minor uproar in northern Thailand where villagers suspected its cameras were surveying for an unwanted dam project.

Google's regional communications manager Taj Meadows said Wednesday that the company was aware of the incident in Sa-eab village in Phrae province, in which about 20 residents blocked a Google camera-equipped car. Google's project takes photos to accompany its Google Earth map program.

The Manager newspaper reported that the villagers took the vehicle's driver to a local office to quiz him, then to a temple where they made him swear on a statue of Buddha that he was not working for the dam project.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/thai-villagers-google-street-view-driver-thailand_n_3762054.html

What do you hope to achieve war-driving in a village with no internet available (Post #1)?

I hope you're not intent upon stealing someone else's bandwidth (their own fault of course if the AP has no security).

Anyone is welcome to use my Wifi, IF they ask I'll give them the key.

They'll just think you really like your Thai TV programs.

You do realize that with your antennas set in that position you're signal will be biased, accepting Forward & Back over long distance, and rejecting Left and Right over long distance.

Yes, this was prior to me setting off.

Locals might think you are spying on them for the government?

Villagers Detain Google Street View Driver In Thailand, Accuse Him Of Spying

BANGKOK -- Internet giant Google's Street View project, which has raised privacy concerns in several countries, has ignited a minor uproar in northern Thailand where villagers suspected its cameras were surveying for an unwanted dam project.

Google's regional communications manager Taj Meadows said Wednesday that the company was aware of the incident in Sa-eab village in Phrae province, in which about 20 residents blocked a Google camera-equipped car. Google's project takes photos to accompany its Google Earth map program.

The Manager newspaper reported that the villagers took the vehicle's driver to a local office to quiz him, then to a temple where they made him swear on a statue of Buddha that he was not working for the dam project.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3762054.html

They might do, but then when I say I am simply looking for true/3bb/ais wifi areas I am sure they would accept I am not a spy lol. Saying that I was wearing a James Bond Tuxedo style suit and black shades.