Spread of the Internet into rural areas is a GAME-CHANGER

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
Spread of the Internet into rural areas is a GAME-CHANGER

BANGKOK: -- AS MORE UPCOUNTRY THAIS MOVE ONLINE, A MAJOR BUSINESS RETHINK IS INEVITABLE

There are two related ways to tell if a "tipping point" in lifestyle has arrived. The first, albeit conventional, is when a technological innovation becomes cheap enough to trigger mass production, which leads to competition and ever-cheaper products. The other is when users of a technology don't even realise this idea was considered absolutely brilliant not so long ago. These unaware users just go with the gathering flow, simply because it's within their power to do so.

A recent survey on Internet "newcomers" in Thailand, commissioned by GroupM Thailand, produced interesting results. Many of those surveyed are using cheap mobile phones to access news and other information online - without ever having used the Web before. Many still aren't sure what the Internet is. They have never used a computer, a laptop or a tablet. Now they're reading the news on mobile phones simply because they've learned it's possible.

These "Net newbies" are growing in number in the less-developed areas of the country and are having a big influence on where wi-fi is made available. Just as urban coffee shops once did, more and more food shops and grooming salons upcountry are installing routers to service customers who are anything but teenagers in trendy clothes. The customers arrive with mobile phones costing between Bt1,000 and Bt2,000 and want to plug into the news or find ways to promote their own businesses through Facebook or the Line application.

The survey's key findings are intriguing. Many respondents said they'd "lost their Internet virginity" via smartphones, meaning that, before they bought the gadgets, they'd never surfed the World Wide Web. They'd never communicated by email. And, although they'd heard of Facebook, they didn't understand what it had to do with the Internet.

They did not know what made Facebook or Line possible.

The newbies don't own smartphones to show off. They buy only what serves their needs. Brand names don't influence them. Anything that's cheap and enables them to talk to friends, read the news or watch videos is fine. Second-hand phones are popular. In a way, they are the real "smart users" of smartphones, because they don't pay for extras or add-ons that are of no use to them.

These people were kept away from the Internet because buying a computer and setting up a router at home was too expensive or too difficult. A linked-in phone and simple applications provided the obvious solution. And their phones don't require a router or wi-fi subscription.

They still watch TV a lot, but they increasingly get their news content from Facebook or other sites that have become familiar. Asked why, they reply that the news on their phones is more up to date than what's offered in the newspapers and on TV.

Another big reason the newbies are hooking up via smartphones is economic. They say they can "meet" old friends without spending much or anything at all, stay apprised of current affairs without buying newspapers, and listen to music or watch music videos without having to pay for them.

This phenomenon is bound to prompt a large-scale business rethink when it comes to online content, analysts say. When Internet utilisation goes beyond urban areas and reaches a great number of people who never used the technology before, policies that have largely catered to young urbanites will have to be significantly adjusted. This is a good thing about a "tipping point", because it can put an end to the "top-down" business strategy, which will have to give way to what truly comes up from the bottom.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Spread-of-the-Internet-into-rural-areas-is-a-GAME--30264260.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-11

I guess this covered what is going on out in the rest of the country, but anyone got a clue what the point of this article really was. It just seemed to rush to nowhere at the end.

...you have to pay one way or another. DTAC or AIS is 400-850b per month just for data downloads.

That is content. Then you need to chuck minutes to maintain a phone number. WiFi is getting more pervasive, that is true, but if one is moving and not sedentary---you are back to 3G.

LINE really knocked sms's out of the biz models for the Tai telcos. That is about all that has changed. WiFi is $15/month at a Tai hotel so-so to lousy bandwidth. After using LINE, it is Skype that is kludgey and non-intuitive. Skype has not kept pace.

WiFi is giving everyone a taste. I'd say that DTAC et al clean up handsomely with 3G. You then tether your iPad or lappie off phone, giving the in house wi-fi a skip.

"AS MORE UPCOUNTRY THAIS MOVE ONLINE, A MAJOR BUSINESS RETHINK....."

And political rethink.

As Orwell put so succinctly:

government's invented language, Newspeak) under the control of a privileged Inner Party elite, that persecutes individualism and independent thinking as "thoughtcrime

I don't think the powers-that-be have a grasp of that new reality, beyond technical legal constraints. They will have increasing difficulty rendering an adversarial political and parliamentary system non-adversarial, with "political uni-thought" being their intention.

There has been a sea-change to political reality since previous Electoral Democracy disruptions and dissolution.

I am seeing those I least expected, walking around with Samsung's. With age and education not being a limiting factor anymore.

Edited by Bannum opinions

We have, as far as I know, three family members using our wifi router, a lot less work gets done. I am expecting my first virus attack at any time.

None of them are using news or political sites, it's all Facebook and Pantip.

What disturbs me is that the youngest lady is contacting men all the time and disappears for a day or two occasionally.

I agree that 'the powers that be' have not really grasped the fact that they can no longer get away with murder. Murder.

When they do catch up with the fact that things are no longer going their way they start to ban social sites and persecute internet journalists.

what will be interesting is if those in all the "red" areas get to see and read non red propaganda online and to finally see the truth about them. For years they have only been able to get the propaganda and have been basically brainwashed, with modern technology they finally have a chance to see for themselves what is really happening and not simply told what to do and think. They will be able to think for themselves and make up their own minds, something the have been fighting for years, lets see if the red support base stays where it is or deminishes, will be very interesting especially when they can see how the supposed un-elite heads of the ptp/reds financials are put up fro everyone to see, then they will realize they have all been taken for a ride, they will see that their leaders are just as elite as those in Bangkok but the majority of thais are simply after what best for the whole country including them.

"leads to competition and ever-cheaper products"

competition in thailand? so why all those jobs forbidden for farangs?

competition here means : one shop is succesfull, 5 others will open right next door & nobody will have good business anymore

"AS MORE UPCOUNTRY THAIS MOVE ONLINE, A MAJOR BUSINESS RETHINK....."
And political rethink.
As Orwell put so succinctly:
government's invented language, Newspeak) under the control of a privileged Inner Party elite, that persecutes individualism and independent thinking as "thoughtcrime
I don't think the powers-that-be have a grasp of that new reality, beyond technical legal constraints. They will have increasing difficulty rendering an adversarial political and parliamentary system non-adversarial, with "political uni-thought" being their intention.
There has been a sea-change to political reality since previous Electoral Democracy disruptions and dissolution.
I am seeing those I least expected, walking around with Samsung's. With age and education not being a limiting factor anymore.

Actually, as information can be posted by anyone, it is a move towards real democracy with an educated and informed populace. A free and critical press would go a long way to accelerating that movement.

You might be surprised how many people don't know that their little tin god is actually a thief of monumental proportions.

...you have to pay one way or another. DTAC or AIS is 400-850b per month just for data downloads.

That is content. Then you need to chuck minutes to maintain a phone number. WiFi is getting more pervasive, that is true, but if one is moving and not sedentary---you are back to 3G.

LINE really knocked sms's out of the biz models for the Tai telcos. That is about all that has changed. WiFi is $15/month at a Tai hotel so-so to lousy bandwidth. After using LINE, it is Skype that is kludgey and non-intuitive. Skype has not kept pace.

WiFi is giving everyone a taste. I'd say that DTAC et al clean up handsomely with 3G. You then tether your iPad or lappie off phone, giving the in house wi-fi a skip.

I have DTAC and pay 320 Baht. No Data Limit

Actually, as information can be posted by anyone, it is a move towards real democracy with an educated and informed populace. A free and critical press would go a long way to accelerating that movement.

You might be surprised how many people don't know that their little tin god is actually a thief of monumental proportions.

You are an optimist. I am a lot more cynical. Uncritical thinkers picking up their opinions from random websites is no different from uncritical thinkers forming their opinions from barroom discussions. One only needs to read the TV forums to know how horribly uninformed and uncritical most Internet users are.

what will be interesting is if those in all the "red" areas get to see and read non red propaganda online and to finally see the truth about them. For years they have only been able to get the propaganda and have been basically brainwashed, with modern technology they finally have a chance to see for themselves what is really happening and not simply told what to do and think. They will be able to think for themselves and make up their own minds, something the have been fighting for years, lets see if the red support base stays where it is or deminishes, will be very interesting especially when they can see how the supposed un-elite heads of the ptp/reds financials are put up fro everyone to see, then they will realize they have all been taken for a ride, they will see that their leaders are just as elite as those in Bangkok but the majority of thais are simply after what best for the whole country including them.

Yes it will be interesting. Ordinary people, wherever they live have access to uncontrolled media. They aren't restricted to the products of the various political factions and the largely state controlled conventional broadcasters.

What's more, now they have that access they are unlikely to tolerate attempts to remove it.

There will soon be a huge upheaval in this country, and widespread popular access to the Internet is indeed going to be a game changer, perhaps not in the way you imagine.

This must terrify from powers that be, on both sides.

Yes, and it's impact upon the "powers that be" from both sides of Thailand political divide, and their monopoly on the expression of opinions is the best thing that could happen.

I am firmly of the opinion that access to the Internet is what broke the Burmese Juntas hold on power, and led to the (admittedly faltering) steps to democracy. I feared that Thailand may have been going down the road that Burma took, but popular Internet access may well be what stops that happening. A game changer.

Edited by JAG

That's a lovely dream and it would be great if it would happen, but the sad reality is they will spend most of their time sending each other stickers on LINE and downloading re-runs of the soaps they've missed on TV. Oh and maybe bragging about who's got the most expensive phone/service/Internet package.

If you are suggesting the rural folk are getting sophisticated and worldly, you overestimate the educational quality of their on-line activities.
I'm sorry, but I think you underestimate the ability of " the rural folk" to format opinions.

Sure a large proportion, possibly the vast majority of their on-line activities will be line - chat, that is true of all communication. But, the means of communication is uncontrolled, that is the point. It is the mediums potential which is important. That potential only has to be realized at times of crisis. How can I put it without crossing THAT line -its existence renders impotent the existing measures for controlling the expression of social and political opinion.

Edited by JAG

This is certainly one channel that effectively propagates false propaganda.

Propaganda that is based on rumours delivered to the masses can certainly destabilise a country more effectively than any method that is available now and with an uneducated gullible cross section bearing witness to it that can create chaos and undemocratic tendencies.

Educational reform is critical to coincide with this spread of the internet so the customers of this propaganda can differentiate between FACT and BELIEFS.

Edited by djjamie

That's a lovely dream and it would be great if it would happen, but the sad reality is they will spend most of their time sending each other stickers on LINE and downloading re-runs of the soaps they've missed on TV. Oh and maybe bragging about who's got the most expensive phone/service/Internet package.

Sadly I think that Gutterboy may be correct. The internet opens up a vast reservoir of information but if you aren't looking for it and spend all your time on FB and Line then nothing much will change. I had a GF in the UK who never watched the news on TV, never listened to the news on the radio but knew all the local gossip as she spent all of her time on FB. She didn't have a clue about geography,current affairs or politics. That relationship didn't last long.

Already seen all this happen upcountry in Khon Kaen Provence. True is pretty fast thanks to CAT and you can get a week of unlimited internet for 60 baht. So every one is using it in the village. Smart phones are cheap at about 2500 baht for a 4.5" i-mobile android phone. True lumps in free tv (seen those satellite dishes on the base station towers?). Its all getting very hi tech, but easy to use, and cheap enough for anyone. So it is a revolution and no need to listen to government propaganda via tv, etc.

"They say a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, but its not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." [Terry Pratchett.]

I agree with the OP title, and some of the article too. As other posters have pointed out, the important thing is that people use their access to the Information Age for positive things, and don't just hang round Badoo hoping to meet a rich oil Sheikh. I seem to spend a lot of time talking to twenty-somethings about all this, and how the Information Age is really the biggest change since the Steam Age, it is an epoch-making human revolution that only occurred properly in the last 20 years, and yet people seem to think it was somehow always this way. I try to explain to them about me spending whole decades sitting in libraries cross-referencing dusty old books, and writing it all down with pen and paper. And repeating that process forever, just to get a result that can now be achieved online with a few clicks. This reduction in actual physical legwork to obtain information, means that people have more free time to absorb more information. This gives me hope for the future. Although I consider that people should be made aware of how fortunate we all are to have this online automatic cross-referencing system, young people should understand how new and groundbreaking this information-facility really is.

This is certainly one channel that effectively propagates false propaganda.

Propaganda that is based on rumours delivered to the masses can certainly destabilise a country more effectively than any method that is available now and with an uneducated gullible cross section bearing witness to it that can create chaos and undemocratic tendencies.

Educational reform is critical to coincide with this spread of the internet so the customers of this propaganda can differentiate between FACT and BELIEFS.

Of course what you say is correct we have already seen rumors delivered to the masses destabilizing this country. It was very effective. It caused the overthrow of the government and the installation of a completely undemocratic military junta. You might say that the worst has already happened.

If you are suggesting the rural folk are getting sophisticated and worldly, you overestimate the educational quality of their on-line activities.

Have 'liked' this.

Would prefer an 'absolutely, spot on' button.

The rural folk are not suddenly going to develop a surge of self motivation and a desire to further their education, but I believe internet access can, and will, make a difference, mainly through social media.